Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me
Don't hate on LE, he is just a hungry guy looking to have some food? What else is he going to eat? Not Olive Garden, that's for sure.

firestruck fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Is it sad that I only now realized why the alpha timeline is so immutable and deterministic? Scratch said that the alpha is the timeline containing his creation and death. And he only dies when the universe ends. And the universe only ends when the tumor explodes to ignite the green sun. And everything hinges on the green sun existing.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~

Quotetype posted:

Don't hate on LE, he is just a hungry guy looking to have some food? What else is he going to eat? Not Olive Garden, that's for sure.

Betty Crocker products

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Quotetype posted:

Don't hate on LE, he is just. hungry guy looking to have some food? What else is he going to eat? Not Olive Garden, that's for sure.

Actually that's the ending. The kids take Lord English out to Olive Garden so that his insatiable multiverse-devouring hunger can finally be satisfied thanks to endless breadsticks.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Valex posted:

Betty Crocker products

Lord English cannot sustain himself on Gushers. What an absolutely silly idea.

Unless... red and blue gushers are filled with dead universes.

Mr. Pumroy fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 28, 2011

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I'm rereading Homestuck and I'm in act 5 and I noticed a huge plot hole that will blow this poo poo wide open.

How does Vriska know Italian? :downs:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

President Ark posted:

I'm rereading Homestuck and I'm in act 5 and I noticed a huge plot hole that will blow this poo poo wide open.

It's Itrollian. Not to be confused with iTrollian.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

President Ark posted:

The same way Troll Will Smith was born. Echoes down through paradox space. Or more accurately, Italian got it from the trolls.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

President Ark posted:

The real question is how do they know English? :c00lbert:

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

President Ark posted:

You've never heard of Italian Spidertroll?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

President Ark posted:

Better yet, how do they know English? And how the hell do typing quirks work with the upside down daedric font? It doesn't even have numbers. They can't even use emoticons. There's no uppercase or lowercase!

e: goddamn we all jumped on that one

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Everything we have was inherited from the troll universe.

Except for John Cusack, who is a universal constant.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Everything we have was inherited from the troll universe.

Except for John Cusack, who is a universal constant.

John Cusack is Lord English.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
I'm wondering whether or not Gamzee really has come back around - isn't the (highly suspicious and evil-looking) fondly regarding happening after his pacification, according to the countdown? Or is there something I've missed?

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE

pumpinglemma posted:

Personally, given how much of Homestuck is a homage to Earthbound, I'm expecting things to get incredibly horrifying and creepy towards the end.

Well, you could make a LE-infected human universe pretty awful if you wanted to.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!
The thing about LE is that he was never in the kid's universe, and it wasn't his fault Jack was created or that their session had a tumor. That was Vriska and Karkat, respectively. We haven't seen Doc Scratch/LE directly manipulate their actions in those regards (unless forming all of Troll society counts, which I guess it might, but maybe not in the case of Karkat?) LE and Scratch pretty much just went with things as far as the kid's universe was concerned. While Scratch manipulated things to get the tumor to the Outer Rim, he didn't/couldn't do much with Jack, and it's more likely he had to work around him. So LE wasn't really directly responsible for the kid's universe's destruction, but he sure took advantage of it.

Remember, Bec Noir was an atypical problem, and not the sort the scratch was usually used for. So it's hard to really say the game was designed specifically to help LE, because in this case it doesn't seem to be. And I don't know if LE will be in the reset universe either. It seems that some universes, at least, are free from him, and we know SBurb is supposed to create new universes, and you'd think they would be of the not inherently doomed variety. Like someone earlier mentioned, I always thought of the game and LE as separate, and LE just hijacks the game for his own designs. Or, who knows, maybe he made it after all. If Betty Crocker actually is the Alternain Empress (I can't believe I just wrote that) then she probably had an effect on getting Grandpa (and assumedly therefore Mom) involved in making the game. So maybe he did have an influence in their universe. And then maybe the game has been a tool of his all along, to ensure there are always more universes to eat.

Man I don't know, LE is a weird subject because we know so little about him. But the way the story has always worked we can probably piece together the answers with the clues we have. Doesn't mean anyone will, though, but we can try...?

(LE might, as Scratch said, just be a part of the system, like entropy personified or something, as much a part of the universe as the game is. But if that's the case, how/why would the kids even defeat him? This is my problem, I don't know why he's the villain.)

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Boneless Jogger posted:

I'm thinking something like this too. Back in the Intermission, there was a part where it said Lord English could only be defeated by glitches in spacetime, and I just keep thinking back to that.
Thinking about it, a good way to start looking for said glitches in spacetime might be to do precisely what the Kids have just done: escape the Scratch as god tiers and so end up in what is arguably a "new game plus" for them. After all, starting a fresh game with all the extra abilities gained from a completed one is a good recipe for sequence breaking.

And you have to wonder how Paradox Space is going to justify something like this. The Kids are now an anomaly, something that shouldn't exist... but here they are. Maybe that's their lever.

There's still a long way to go from here, but it feels like a starting point.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
I liked a theory that was mentioned in the previous thread, that he's sort of like a Demiurge figure. He ensures that there will be more universes will be created for him to eat, but also makes sure that they are flawed so he can bring about their end. No way of knowing if it is true or not at this point, though.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Starmaker posted:

The thing about LE is that he was never in the kid's universe, and it wasn't his fault Jack was created or that their session had a tumor.

Don't forget, Lord English wasn't in the first Troll session either. He only appeared after that got scratched. Doc Scratch and Betty Crocker could have simply been working to screw up the Kids' game, so that a new universe would be created with Lord English in it.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Baron La Croix posted:

I'm wondering whether or not Gamzee really has come back around - isn't the (highly suspicious and evil-looking) fondly regarding happening after his pacification, according to the countdown? Or is there something I've missed?

Yes, he is fondly regarding after bro-ing out with Karkat. Which means that he's staring at a video of Jade's spherical lab going nuclear due to Jadesprite's creation and subsequent freakout, as well as talking with Lord English asking him what to do now while ostensibly sane. Also he painted a :o) face on the screen.

I don't think he's back to being a high as gently caress goofy clown, because there is no pie for him to get high off of. If the sopor pie kept his "kill all lowbloods" personality stifled, maybe Karkat's doing the same thing except without the toxic drugs bit, and sober Gamzee is still kind of a creepy guy who paints on computer monitors with his blood and likes watching ghost dog girls cry, but he's not killing everyone.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

What is going to happen is they will recover Doc Scratch's revolver and Jade will make it huge and they will load Doc Scratch's lifeless body into it and they will fire his enormous cueball head through Lord English's giant evil heart to defeat him. Limbs flailing behind him all the way.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

President Ark posted:

Or French, for that matter! :downs:

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Starmaker posted:

The thing about LE is that he was never in the kid's universe, and it wasn't his fault Jack was created or that their session had a tumor. That was Vriska and Karkat, respectively.

Don't forget Gamzee's part in all this, with the implanting scary clown dolls into John's dreaming subconscious eventually leading to Jack getting pissed about stupid outfits he had to wear.

Karkat may have given the kids' session cancer, but Gamzee made it...terminal :c00lbert:

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Starmaker posted:

The thing about LE is that he was never in the kid's universe, and it wasn't his fault Jack was created or that their session had a tumor. :words:

You know, the thing is, I think Lord English might have originally "marked" their universe as one of his chosen ones, but thanks to the efforts of one John (not the alpha one), he got beaten at his own game.

EB: if i didn't make the decision to go, then dave would not be able to go back in time and fix things.
EB: in fact, if i didn't die here in this palace, we never would have been born in the first place!

That could just mean beta John's deal with his Denizen was to allow the alpha timeline to happen, but I don't know, something about the "never would have been born" interests me. Considering that the glitch in the original troll session was that they never ectobiology-cloned themselves and that's Lord English's calling card.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Starmaker posted:

The thing about LE is that he was never in the kid's universe, and it wasn't his fault Jack was created or that their session had a tumor. That was Vriska and Karkat, respectively. We haven't seen Doc Scratch/LE directly manipulate their actions in those regards (unless forming all of Troll society counts, which I guess it might, but maybe not in the case of Karkat?) LE and Scratch pretty much just went with things as far as the kid's universe was concerned. While Scratch manipulated things to get the tumor to the Outer Rim, he didn't/couldn't do much with Jack, and it's more likely he had to work around him. So LE wasn't really directly responsible for the kid's universe's destruction, but he sure took advantage of it.

(LE might, as Scratch said, just be a part of the system, like entropy personified or something, as much a part of the universe as the game is. But if that's the case, how/why would the kids even defeat him? This is my problem, I don't know why he's the villain.)

But Scratch has absolutely had a hand in shaping the Kid's universe exactly the way it is? He's been influencing Troll society, as well as the individual Trolls in order to shape their personalities so that they'd 'power-game' everything instead of actually maturing- which resulted in Karkat messing up the frog breeding, creating a flawed universe.

Besides, Betty Crocker (likely the Condence, and serving Lord English), gave Dave the ICP video, who then gave it to Gamzee, who freaked out and magnified John's fear of clowns, which lead to his dream scrawlings in his room, which caused Dad to buy him the clown, whose silly costume made Jack flip the gently caress out after it was prototyped which resulted in him killing the Queen and ascending.

Additionally, Scratch has taken a pretty active role in Aradia and Vriska's lives, directly manipulating them so that Aradia's a fatalistic ghost and Vriska's... well, Vriska. Basically getting her into such a state of mind that she'd want to have a hand in creating Bec Noir.

Basically Scratch and English did take a direct hand in messing up the kid's universe so bad that they'd have Scratch it, try to blow up the Green Sun, and it was assured to be destroyed.

Personally I don't think English is really a natural part of things, like entropy or Skaia or the Horrorterrors are. Scratch merely says that he's accounted for in the present equilibrium, not that he's supposed to be there.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

XkyRauh posted:

Or French, for that matter! :downs:

Well that time was the narrator, it doesn't count. :pseudo:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Paul.Power posted:

The Kids are now an anomaly, something that shouldn't exist... but here they are. Maybe that's their lever.

I dunno about this. After all, Jack, PM and WV escaped the scratch using facilities seeded by SBurb. If there's equipment to go to a different universe then it's probably quite possible for a player to use it. If it only exists outside the incipisphere, isn't it possible for a player to hitch a second ride on a meteor to hit up their post-reckoning planet?

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
I just noticed that, before they prototype John's kernel with Nana, they try to prototype it with a box of Betty Crocker cake mix. If they hadn't have prototyped it with a tricksy harlequin beforehand that tried to avoid being prototyped, it would have been instant game over

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
Sorry to double post, but oh poo poo, I'm calling it! They either just summoned some of the Outer Gods or they're going to the Furthest Ring! Look at this mysterious summoning device from the Grimoire of the Zoologically Dubious

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Cyrai posted:

Sorry to double post, but oh poo poo, I'm calling it! They either just summoned some of the Outer Gods or they're going to the Furthest Ring! Look at this mysterious summoning device from the Grimoire of the Zoologically Dubious

That's just a Problem Sleuth reference (until Andrew decides it's more than just a reference)

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

creationist believer posted:

That's just a Problem Sleuth reference (until Andrew decides it's more than just a reference)

The church parts are a PS reference, but there's no way that's not a fourth wall with the plug

KoB
May 1, 2009

Cyrai posted:

The church parts are a PS reference, but there's no way that's not a fourth wall with the plug

If anything, the 4th wall is more of a reference to the windows in PS.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Cyrai posted:

You don't remember windows with plugs in PS? Being on the opposite side of an unpowered window puts you in a demon zone. And powered windows are also used to summon Fluthlu.

Besides, a 12-pane window that's not arranged 2-4-4-2 panes? That doesn't make any sense.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Starmaker posted:

LE is a game master, after the scratch 'reboots the server' he will forget to reflag his invulnerability and the kids will trap him with a portcullis and throw a bunch of fire walls on him.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

creationist believer posted:

You don't remember windows with plugs in PS? Being on the opposite side of an unpowered window puts you in a demon zone. And powered windows are also used to summon Fluthlu.

Besides, a 12-pane window that's not arranged 2-4-4-2 panes? That doesn't make any sense.

Yeah, I do now. That being said, if Betty Crocker can be a major villain, quite possibly a Trollian empress, that can be a fourth wall

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

This is probably an unanswerable question like with betaJohn, but would you think the Midnight Crew is in the dreambubbles? I mean, I wouldn't have thought so, because I don't think every character who dies ends up in a dreambubble, most carapace probably go to carapace heaven or whatever, but if WV has a dreambubble it's probably because he's an exile of a player, and you know the Midnight Crew were exiles of the trolls...

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

dumb brunette posted:

Considering that the glitch in the original troll session was that they never ectobiology-cloned themselves and that's Lord English's calling card.

Oh what, how did I miss that? Wasn't karkat COVERED in wrigglers?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Yeah they definitely did that. A guy in this thread even has an avatar of it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Ominous Jazz posted:

You didn't miss it because it never happened.

It turned out that in addition to cre8ting us all in the ecto8iology la8, Karkat cre8ted our ancestors too!

edit: There's probably a better link out there, it's just that I think it was a flash where he did it, and you can't search for those.

e2: vvv Oh, right.

Arrhythmia fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Ominous Jazz posted:

The original Troll session. The one that was scratched.