Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

The original Troll session. The one that was scratched.

Can you link me to that because I kind of half remember it but no idea where to even look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Krinkle posted:

Can you link me to that because I kind of half remember it but no idea where to even look.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/scratch.php?s=6&p=005953

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

This reminds me; has there been much significance regarding alternia's pink moon? It seems like it also has it's own satellite.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Oxyclean posted:

This reminds me; has there been much significance regarding alternia's pink moon? It seems like it also has it's own satellite.

Not at all. I'm guessing it was put in there to make Alternia look more alien and was colored pink in contrast to the other moon's green.

Not that it would matter now, what with the entire universe exploded.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
So, the device that was in the Tumor created the Green Sun upon detonation. Does each tube physically contain each universe? The flash seems to indicate so, but it's kind of strange. This would mean that the frog that Bec Noir destroys, and even the entire troll incipisphere, is actually in the red tube, and the troll universe frog and the incipisphere that created it be in the blue tube?

Bah. Hussie, always raising more questions than answering.

By the way, maybe an obvious guess, but the kids will have a successful session eventually and create the troll universe.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Lord of Laughton posted:

So, the device that was in the Tumor created the Green Sun upon detonation. Does each tube physically contain each universe? The flash seems to indicate so, but it's kind of strange. This would mean that the frog that Bec Noir destroys, and even the entire troll incipisphere, is actually in the red tube, and the troll universe frog and the incipisphere that created it be in the blue tube?

Bah. Hussie, always raising more questions than answering.

By the way, maybe an obvious guess, but the kids will have a successful session eventually and create the troll universe.

Hussie said in his tumblr that the Tumor-bomb literally contained the entirety of both their universes. That's why the green sun is "approximately twice the mass of our universe".

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Not at all. I'm guessing it was put in there to make Alternia look more alien and was colored pink in contrast to the other moon's green.

Not that it would matter now, what with the entire universe exploded.
I'm not entirely sure how it works, but I'm pretty sure the universe isn't entirely exploded and over, it's just that the timeline has ended in the future at the point where Spades Slick shot Snowman. The Trolls, for instance, are still alive.

It's not like the entire universe scratching and hard resetting, like what happened for the kids.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

It's worth noting that Scratch doesn't say that a session where players can't clone themselves is English's calling card. He said that English's calling card is a minor, subtle error that snowballs until it renders the session impossible to complete. For the kids, that's Jack Noir and his prototyping spree.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Oxyclean posted:

Groindless speculation, but in [S] Seer: Descend in addition to flashes of the green sun you can also see a pink sun. Maybe such a thing exists and powers... I dunno the horrorterrors or something and the pink moon will fit in the story similar to the way the green moon did.

Oxxidation posted:

It's worth noting that Scratch doesn't say that a session where players can't clone themselves is English's calling card. He said that English's calling card is a minor, subtle error that snowballs until it renders the session impossible to complete. For the kids, that's Jack Noir and his prototyping spree.

Or a glitch in the alpha timeline that causes a paradox, like the trolls existing but never creating themselves. That'd effect the ancestor session but not the kids session.

creationist believer fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 28, 2011

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

creationist believer posted:

Or a glitch in the alpha timeline that causes a paradox, like the trolls existing but never creating themselves. That'd effect the ancestor session but not the kids session.

Or maybe the existence of a certain robotic bunny named after a certain actress?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Someone in this thread mentioned that there was a firefox extension that let you get rid of all of the ridiculous troll chat gimmicks, does anyone have a link to that?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

Or maybe the existence of a certain robotic bunny named after a certain actress?

That's the earliest point we can find where things started to go wrong, yeah. The only way to get earlier than the bunny is to get some information on J, which hasn't been possible yet for all sorts of reasons.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Just for argument's sake- having one's grandmother raised by a monster that is quite likely an alien queen- would that count as a 'minor glitch?'

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I guess it could've been, except that Nanna and Grandpa both broke out of her clutches before she could do any visible damage. And the Condesce had a lot of success making everything terrible through alternate means when she sent that video to Dave.

Nanna's story almost made it sound like the Condesce had her slated to be English's next servant, but since we haven't seen her around for a while who knows how that'll turn out. I don't think an entity like English that has near-total mastery of predetermination really needs contingency plans, so if Nanna got away, it probably wasn't by accident.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

If you read what Doc Scratch says about the ancestor/pre-scratch troll session, it spells out what the glitch does.

quote:

But their failure was more comprehensive, more systemic, than a result of simple inadequacy so common to young players of this game. Though they could not recognize it for the bad omen it was, this session was not the one in which they had been spawned. Such is the symptom of a subtle glitch affecting certain sessions, an error designed to trigger an unfathomable cascade of misfortune throughout paradox space. This glitch is the calling card of the one I serve. It is the discreet, gentlemanly manner in which he reserves his place in a universe for later visitation.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Reene posted:

If you read what Doc Scratch says about the ancestor/pre-scratch troll session, it spells out what the glitch does.

The very next sentence is the important one. Scratch says the glitch causes "an unfathomable cascade of misfortune." He never specifically states that it's the same kind of misfortune throughout all sessions.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Oxxidation posted:

I guess it could've been, except that Nanna and Grandpa both broke out of her clutches before she could do any visible damage. And the Condesce had a lot of success making everything terrible through alternate means when she sent that video to Dave.

Nanna's story almost made it sound like the Condesce had her slated to be English's next servant, but since we haven't seen her around for a while who knows how that'll turn out. I don't think an entity like English that has near-total mastery of predetermination really needs contingency plans, so if Nanna got away, it probably wasn't by accident.

the condesce sent a video to dave? when was this?

Tyromancer
Sep 2, 2011

Eglamore looks pretty different.

Oxxidation posted:

The very next sentence is the important one. Scratch says the glitch causes "an unfathomable cascade of misfortune." He never specifically states that it's the same kind of misfortune throughout all sessions.

It's entirely possible that things can go wrong by themselves, without Lord English leaving his calling card.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Oh argh, another two week downtime. Act 6 begins on 11/11/11, same as that dumb movie with the muscley dudes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Krinkle posted:

the condesce sent a video to dave? when was this?

Before Sburb dropped, the Condesce (aka Betty Crocker) sent the "Miracles" video to Dave way ahead of its time. He then sent it to Gamzee, and bad stuff happened.

Here's the page.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

SpaceDrake posted:

Which is why I don't think we'll be returning to her and John, in terms of direct narrative, for a while. She's so drat powerful that she's going to be hard to write as a direct character now.
I got this vibe as well. Not necessarily that the next act will be a new set of kids, but that she and John may be ducking out of the story for a long while and running around the new universe or wherever they went, then returning at some important moment.

Hopefully Lord English wasn't on any of those worlds Jade just took to parts unknown.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Oxxidation posted:

But it mentions a specific "symptom" of the glitch - that session not being the one that spawned them. The impression I got is that while the misfortune is session-specific, that symptom (and maybe others) is universal.

...Maybe the reach-around is bigger than we thought. :psyduck:

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
A thought just occurred to me. Andrew said this in part 4 of the EoA summary:

Andrew Hussie posted:

We also can’t be sure that’s all there is to this method. Is it a simple matter of dying on the bed, or is more required? In the only two examples we have of this, Aradia and Dave+Rose, they die spectacularly in an explosion of green fire. Is that among the requirements? This is inconclusive.

Also, god tier Aradia, Dave, and Rose were all unharmed by the fire during the resurrection process. Dave and Rose’s case was so extreme, they actually emerged from the core of a sun. Does the transformation method itself protect them, until complete? Or is it just the simple matter that upon transforming, they are now immortal, and dying in the very explosion leading to their ascension would count as neither just nor heroic? You may speculate.

(Also before going on, I want to clarify that this isn't a "The Derse children are going to go evil" theory.) It is entirely possible that this is just Andrew's way of stirring up speculation, but it has just occurred to me that if we take this at face value then it is possible that John is the only (living) God Tier that isn't involved with the Green Sun. Perhaps this fact will end up being important. Not because it will cause betrayals or whatever, but for god knows why at this point. Not really a sound theory or anything, I know. Just a bit of information that may or may not prove relevant.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Oxxidation posted:

Before Sburb dropped, the Condesce (aka Betty Crocker) sent the "Miracles" video to Dave way ahead of its time. He then sent it to Gamzee, and bad stuff happened.

Here's the page.

Holy poo poo :psyboom:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

Holy poo poo :psyboom:

Seconding that - it was a small and very quiet little detail that I missed, but it's totally :sbahj: material.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

So since mspachan went down, is there a site where the mspa notifier's being posted now/pictures you can use for it? That was one of the few good things to come out of that site and I was actually waiting for more people to post update images so I could grab them all and sort through the ones I wanted at once.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Everything we have was inherited from the troll universe.

Except for John Cusack, who is a universal constant.

When did you stop being that mysterious grey douchebag and start being Harry Anderson?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

Well, that shade of pink is the inverse color of the other moon's shade of green. That's kind of significant?

operative lm
Jan 27, 2009

> Fondly regard crustacean
Sorry if this was brought up elsewhere, but since it was released when the thread was on hiatus, I have to ask: who else besides myself didn't know about this? I'm going to assume "a number of people."

Jailbreak Vol. 1

_Endgame_
Jun 19, 2010

NERF THIS!
Wandering the internets I do believe I have found something of great importance to this webcomic.
I think I have discovered the identity of Lord English, he is Doc Scratch combined with a horror terror!

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Reene posted:

But it mentions a specific "symptom" of the glitch - that session not being the one that spawned them. The impression I got is that while the misfortune is session-specific, that symptom (and maybe others) is universal.

...Maybe the reach-around is bigger than we thought. :psyduck:

Well, here's how I see it:

Doc Scratch probably wanted us to think that it was the specific not-the-session-that-spawned-them thing that was the glitch, and seeing how the kid's did spawn themselves, they'd be safe right? Except his wording is kind of ambiguous, suggesting that maybe there's something else going on.

Besides, it was Scratch who suggested they perform a Scratch after all. He clearly wants it to happen. Think about it- if he only wanted the Tumor detonated and the Green Sun created he would have been like "Hey kids go blow up this sun, it'll stop Jack for you" and they would have been like "k thx bro", but then he says "Oh yeah you gotta erase your own existence too, I don't care if you survive."

I mean if you consider the Troll session, they had the glitch, were suffering a cascade of misfortune, then Scratched, and BAM! Lord English in the house. Now the kids are suffering a cascade of misfortune, and have Scratched, so if Doc Scratch or English or whatever show up in the post-Scratch universe, you've got three out of the four steps right?

So that probably means that the kid's session was affected by the glitch too, it just didn't really have the same symptoms. In the Troll session, it was something innocuous that they wouldn't really notice or think about, so it'd probably be similar in the kid's right? Something that couldn't really exist without a Scratch happening, and affects things in ways that the kids don't really know about that triggers an unwinnable scenario.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Mazerunner posted:

Well, here's how I see it:

Doc Scratch probably wanted us to think that it was the specific not-the-session-that-spawned-them thing that was the glitch, and seeing how the kid's did spawn themselves, they'd be safe right? Except his wording is kind of ambiguous, suggesting that maybe there's something else going on.

Besides, it was Scratch who suggested they perform a Scratch after all. He clearly wants it to happen. Think about it- if he only wanted the Tumor detonated and the Green Sun created he would have been like "Hey kids go blow up this sun, it'll stop Jack for you" and they would have been like "k thx bro", but then he says "Oh yeah you gotta erase your own existence too, I don't care if you survive."

I mean if you consider the Troll session, they had the glitch, were suffering a cascade of misfortune, then Scratched, and BAM! Lord English in the house. Now the kids are suffering a cascade of misfortune, and have Scratched, so if Doc Scratch or English or whatever show up in the post-Scratch universe, you've got three out of the four steps right?

So that probably means that the kid's session was affected by the glitch too, it just didn't really have the same symptoms. In the Troll session, it was something innocuous that they wouldn't really notice or think about, so it'd probably be similar in the kid's right? Something that couldn't really exist without a Scratch happening, and affects things in ways that the kids don't really know about that triggers an unwinnable scenario.

Well Doc Scratch is more a result of the deal the first-session trolls made with "the mother of all monsters", since he was the one who pushed their society to result in battle-eager warriors.

Was it ever mentioned who that "mother of all monsters" was? It sounds (and probably is) awfully important. If not, I guess we'll see once Jade gets to the new universe, perhaps.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

YF-23 posted:

Well Doc Scratch is more a result of the deal the first-session trolls made with "the mother of all monsters", since he was the one who pushed their society to result in battle-eager warriors.

Was it ever mentioned who that "mother of all monsters" was? It sounds (and probably is) awfully important. If not, I guess we'll see once Jade gets to the new universe, perhaps.

Echidna. What is greco roman poo poo doing in this game anyway?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The mother of all monsters is Echidna. So what that means is that the previous session trolls consulted their denizen Echidna who helped them scratch their session.

Just like the Echidna from the kids' session did.

(In case you're unfamiliar with the greek mythology, here's where the "mother of all monsters" thing comes from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echidna_%28mythology%29

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Regy Rusty posted:

The mother of all monsters is Echidna. So what that means is that the previous session trolls consulted their denizen Echidna who helped them scratch their session.

Just like the Echidna from the kids' session did.

(In case you're unfamiliar with the greek mythology, here's where the "mother of all monsters" thing comes from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echidna_%28mythology%29

I forget offhand, but didn't Echidna merely help Jade find the frog? I don't recall her being involved in the scratch process. On top of that, the deal Echidna made with Jade was that she (and the other Denizens) be brought with, which Jade did do (brought the four kids' planets and Skaia along with her.)

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Oxyclean posted:

This has as much significance as the 8-player session everyone keeps bringing up. It's this tiny thing that we've seen more than once (the 8-player session was very specifically shown in a pile of Doc's album photos) and bothers the everliving gently caress out of me. That satellite mocks me, insisting on having significance whilst having no mention at all. Even worse, the satellite shows up on every single panel the pink moon shows up on except [S] Seer: Ascend. where it very specifically does not show up on the pink moon whilst we are watching an ancestor fight. I can only assume this means that the satellite only shows up post-troll-scratch and if we end up seeing the kids post-scratch session, I wonder if we'll suddenly notice a new satellite on Earth's moon.

Yeah, seriously, nothing else in this comic has bugged me as much as that freakin' satellite on the pink moon.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

DaveKap posted:

I can only assume this means that the satellite only shows up post-troll-scratch and if we end up seeing the kids post-scratch session, I wonder if we'll suddenly notice a new satellite on Earth's moon.

The ancestors we know and love are post-scratch. In the pre-scratch session, Karkat et al were the ancestors while Mindfang etc were the players.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

DaveKap posted:

This has as much significance as the 8-player session everyone keeps bringing up. It's this tiny thing that we've seen more than once (the 8-player session was very specifically shown in a pile of Doc's album photos) and bothers the everliving gently caress out of me. That satellite mocks me, insisting on having significance whilst having no mention at all. Even worse, the satellite shows up on every single panel the pink moon shows up on except [S] Seer: Ascend. where it very specifically does not show up on the pink moon whilst we are watching an ancestor fight. I can only assume this means that the satellite only shows up post-troll-scratch and if we end up seeing the kids post-scratch session, I wonder if we'll suddenly notice a new satellite on Earth's moon.

Yeah, seriously, nothing else in this comic has bugged me as much as that freakin' satellite on the pink moon.

To add to Supercar's statement, this actually just means that the satellite was added after the ancestor fights happened. I'd say it probably has something to do with all the adult trolls being sent off to war. Maybe that's just where the Condesce lived before being sent off on a mission for English.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

I forget offhand, but didn't Echidna merely help Jade find the frog? I don't recall her being involved in the scratch process. On top of that, the deal Echidna made with Jade was that she (and the other Denizens) be brought with, which Jade did do (brought the four kids' planets and Skaia along with her.)

Well at the very least she gave Jade her quills which were used in the process of scratching the Beat Mesa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

King of Solomon posted:

This made me look it up and reread it again and Jade says:

quote:

?GG: the choices she gives you seem to have to do with facing mortality
?GG: and making it clear if you choose one path over another it will lead to your death
?GG: and that your death may even be necessary to accomplish a goal

And it was necessary for Jade to die to hold up her end of the bargain. I hope we learn what the bargain presented to Kanaya was that she turned down was, all she says is that it wasn't important or interesting and also impossible.