Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Lareine posted:

You can't make fun of it, it's so boring and cliche.

This is pretty much the best summation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

It's the lovely mushy anatomy of someone who has never bothered to study an actual human body and instead just copied pictures of animes in bland poses. There's no understanding of structure, just lines put in a combination because that's where those lines go. I bet she has a limited number of Poses and angles she can draw, with no foreshortening, and draws the same thing over and over. It could be way shittier but I would bet she'll make no effort to do life drawing or anything to edge away from mediocrity because it doesn't involve animes and she doesn't realise most people who draw well in a style have a solid grasp of realism first.

Also great thread, very entertaining and made all the better with the fantastic illustrations. My sympathies to uglynoodles and Kat.

TODD BONZALEZ fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 27, 2011

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Fame Throwa posted:

She wound up dropping out of school halfway through her senior year and running off to Seattle to be with a dragon. I have SO MANY STORIES.

Uglynoodles, would it be ok if other people shared similar stories?

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

quote:

Can people share similar stories?

NO THIS IS MY THREAD AND I DEMAND ALL THE GLORY of course other people can share stories! I certainly am interested in people with similar experiences, what they went through, why they stuck around, similarities, differences, and what they learned.

Hormones
May 9, 2009

Konstantin posted:

I'm pretty sure he (George) knows

la_fausse_tortue posted:

George knows nothing.

:cry:

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

uglynoodles posted:

She is open for commissions. :toot:

Hmm. Is this supposed to be Parrier's true form or something?

uglynoodles posted:

My Father is Vegeta

Short, and simple. Denise believes George is Vegeta from Dragon Ball Z because he has dark hair and a high widow's peak. Fact.

I love this one for its simplicity.

Lance Streetman posted:

I-I'm sorry, but Trace Memory and Ghost Trick...they never existed. You made it all up in your head. We tried to humor you, because we didn't want you to turn violent. I'm so sorry you had to find out.

"I believe these games exist but they don't" would be a pretty boring delusion. How come I don't get a cloud castle? :(

Anyway I Googled Dollfies, and hot drat, they're even creepier than normal porcelain dolls!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Third Murderer posted:

"I believe these games exist but they don't" would be a pretty boring delusion. How come I don't get a cloud castle? :(

I spent all my creative energy earlier between writing a short story outline for school and working on an update. Sue me.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Given the okay for other people's stories, I'll go ahead and out myself as 'that friend' when I was younger. My poo poo wasn't about anime or games, more just a fantasy world that I mentally escaped into and for a time utterly, truly believed was real. I grew out of it eventually, and am utterly embarrassed at myself from that time.

I had my reasons, though. Physical abuse at home, sexual abuse by a family member, severe untreated depression and OCD, gender issues, problems socializing. I had a whole host of problems. It was easier to escape into my fantasy world than to deal with what my life was at the time. I had the typical complete failure to take care of myself as well.

My world wasn't as nerdy as this girl's. Mostly just a place where I wasn't born in the wrong body. One where I had friends, and wasn't so utterly, desperately unhappy.

I grew up and dropped it around mid high school years, and I was never as open about it as Denise apparently is, but I did have a few people I shared some of the stuff with. The fact that they put up with me is astounding to me, to this day.

I get the impression Denise probably has a few issues of her own, but I can say that even when I was at my worst, I would have never thrown over one of my few friends for a drat doll.

Blastoise
Nov 9, 2010

Onward, Sancho!

uglynoodles posted:

I have this burning urge to go over her drawing and correct the anatomy. She's clearly never even bothered to so much as study anatomy from a photograph of a man.

The design is also so generic anime monster boy that it is painful.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Someone who's good at anatomy draw a proper body on top of that image, I want to see just how bad it is.

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july
Oh sure why not I'm bored

This was actually sort of difficult, I'm not used to drawing slender ~*bishie anime boyz~*~

Man this poo poo reminds me of that guy I knew in high school who always begged me to draw his fox demon furry characters. Down to the wings and stitches and everything

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

~*I Sparkle You Sparkle*~
What if he were not an anime.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Since we got permission, I guess I'll tell my story.

The Super Saiyan Pokemon!

Back in middle school I had a friend, we'll call him N, who was just a little...Special. He was short for both his age and the area, probably only around 4' in sixth grade. I wasn't exactly tall (I was a year younger than everyone, and hadn't started growing yet) but I was still a big kid, probably at least a foot taller than him. Still, we got on well and he just kind of came as a package deal with a bunch of other people. After a while, he learned I liked Dragon Ball Z and so most of our conversations were about the recent episode and how great it was.

Eventually, he saw fit to tell me that he was actually a Saiyan himself. Totally for reals. And Freiza, the big bad at the time, they said his name wrong. It had more of an Italian or Spanish accent, and he was a real guy who was hiding in Mexico running the drug cartels. His dad was training him to go beat him up and arrest him.

I remember giving him a "what the gently caress?" stare at that, but letting it go because whatever. Then, a few months later, he decided to let me in on another secret.

He was a Pokemon. Well, half-Pokemon. I forget which half came from which parent, but they were both aliens and he'd grown up on the Pokemon planet and so could see if other people were Pokemon who had forgotten their true faces or some such. I was always a pretty imaginative kid, but I wasn't so stupid as not to detect crazy when I saw it.

Still, I humored him. He decided I was secretly a Pokemon too, and after a week's deliberation decided I was a Nidoking. Which pissed me off at the time because I totally didn't want to be purple and that wasn't my favorite goddamnit! But I let it go pretty quickly, mostly because of the one redeeming trait the kid had.

Being a Saiyan/Pokemon, he was obviously born to fight. His dad was even a martial arts legend (you wouldn't know the style though guys, serious) and trained him every day! As I have always absolutely loved fighting myself, I was never shy about sparring with him.

Yep, I put up with crazy bullshit so I could punch a short kid. One of the first times we "fought", I sent him flying (keep in mind, he was tiny) and got chewed out by him and another friend of ours. Cue training montage where I had to learn to punch REALLY REALLY FAST like they do in the animes, pulling every last one of them so as not to hurt anyone. I learned my lesson drat well too, to the point where I still find it really hard to let loose and throw a solid, heavy punch at anything.

Anyway, we'd fight all the time. Before class, whenever. Kids'd gather around and watch, marveling at how fast we moved. Which I always liked, honestly, because I was/am a big dude and thought it was cool to be praised for something people never expect from someone my size. Eventually we just sort of drifted apart, he seemed to get more withdrawn and spent a lot of time with crappy anime drawing.

My last real memory with the kid was eighth grade, I'd finally shot up to close to six foot and he was still only around four-eight or so. He'd dyed his hair blond and spiked it, telling people he had gone Super Saiyan, and I gave him poo poo about it. He seemed to let it go, until one morning when he came right up to me and punched me square in the face. Ended up with my first black eye. Man, the look on his face when he realized what he'd done was priceless.

Also, holy poo poo. Way longer than I thought it would be. Sorry, uglynoodles!

Edit: And while I typed all that poo poo, magic happened. Goddamn, the hairy man-ime is priceless.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

He seemed to let it go, until one morning when he came right up to me and punched me square in the face. Ended up with my first black eye.

So, did you beat his rear end or what?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Third Murderer posted:

You don't get a cloud castle because you're not special enough.
Don't think you're on the same level as Denise.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Grashlok posted:

If your answer is "no" Ryuujin, the next question I have to ask is, why in the gently caress not.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Obligatory Toast posted:

If your answer is "no" Ryuujin, the next question I have to ask is, why in the gently caress not.
^^^
This

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Grashlok posted:

Obligatory Toast posted:

The answer actually is no. I was twice his size, easy, and by that point a better fighter. I could have dropped him if I did the same right back.

Instead I just opened the eye that wasn't trying to swell shut on me, looked down at him, and said "You didn't mean to do that, did you." Flat statement.

Little bastard looked like he poo poo himself, shook his head, and braced for an asswhoopin'. So I just patted him on the head hard enough that he drat near fell on his rear end, said "Didn't think so." And walked off. Didn't really talk to him again after that, but he spent a couple weeks running like poo poo every time he saw him.

It was enough for me that he knew I could have taken him, I didn't see any reason to go through with it.

Edit: Writing all that up, and reflecting, the kid was a lot more hosed up than I remember. There was a lot more about his alien heritage, galactic empires, all that. I just eventually stopped caring, so long as I got to trade blows with someone. Like I said, I've always loved a good fight. Really need to get around to joining a boxing gym.

RyuujinBlueZ fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 28, 2011

Yeah Man
Oct 9, 2011

And if you had, you know, a huge killer robot at your command, yeah, that would just clutter things up; and a lesser person might want that kind of overwhelming force on their side, but you know - where's the challenge in that?

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

The answer actually is no. I was twice his size, easy, and by that point a better fighter. I could have dropped him if I did the same right back.

Instead I just opened the eye that wasn't trying to swell shut on me, looked down at him, and said "You didn't mean to do that, did you." Flat statement.

Little bastard looked like he poo poo himself, shook his head, and braced for an asswhoopin'. So I just patted him on the head hard enough that he drat near fell on his rear end, said "Didn't think so." And walked off. Didn't really talk to him again after that, but he spent a couple weeks running like poo poo every time he saw him.

It was enough for me that he knew I could have taken him, I didn't see any reason to go through with it.

Good on you. :golfclap:

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
For a time in middleschool my friend and I had this weird sort of roleplay thing where we pretended to be princesses of this Narnia-like kingdom (queendom?) with this magical talking white doe called the Keeper who was basicly Jesus in deer form (did I mention this girl was extremely religious?), and this was going to be a book, it really was. Epic wars were going to assail our precious realm, and only we could protect our people and keep the darkness at bay!

We started calling ourselves by these retarded names (though never when anyone else was around)--she was SilverRose, I was Veronia--and the notes we'd pass back and forth would begin like 'greetings, dear sister! How farest this morn?'

I don't think she ever really believed it was real, but I gather she wished mightily it was. She too was lacking in the hygeine department, always seemed to smell and wear dirty clothes, very few friends, often seemed sad--and once I heard her singing a song she'd apparently composed about going away 'where no one can hurt me anymore'. I think I brushed this off as an emo phase or something, but now I wonder. (and feel like a bad friend...)

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Astrofig posted:

For a time in middleschool my friend and I had this weird sort of roleplay thing where we pretended to be princesses of this Narnia-like kingdom (queendom?) with this magical talking white doe called the Keeper who was basicly Jesus in deer form (did I mention this girl was extremely religious?), and this was going to be a book, it really was. Epic wars were going to assail our precious realm, and only we could protect our people and keep the darkness at bay!

We started calling ourselves by these retarded names (though never when anyone else was around)--she was SilverRose, I was Veronia--and the notes we'd pass back and forth would begin like 'greetings, dear sister! How farest this morn?'

I don't think she ever really believed it was real, but I gather she wished mightily it was. She too was lacking in the hygeine department, always seemed to smell and wear dirty clothes, very few friends, often seemed sad--and once I heard her singing a song she'd apparently composed about going away 'where no one can hurt me anymore'. I think I brushed this off as an emo phase or something, but now I wonder. (and feel like a bad friend...)
That is some Bridge to Terabithia stuff right there.

I think a lot of kids have fantasies like that, and they're mostly harmless because kids usually grow out of it.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

The Worst Unicorn posted:

Never stop drawing amazing things.

Clarington Grey
Dec 4, 2007

Subtle but delightful.
Uglynoodles, I'm sorry you went through such a hard time when you were younger, and I'm sorry you had to put up with a crazed bitch like Denise. But I'm glad you're doing better now and you're sharing these stories with us. Kat, welcome.

I think the FF7 house story still takes the trophy in terms of sheer insanity, but Denise is still drat entertaining.

Since others are sharing their stories, I guess I'll tell about my old friend Walrus. I knew him in high school, and when we found out that we would both be attending the same college, we decided to room together. Walrus was his nickname because, well, he basically looked like one.

Walrus was an ok guy most of the time and easy to get along with, but I didn't realize until after our freshman year started just how into anime he was. He brought nearly his entire collection up to school with him. I recall when Princess Mononoke came out, he watched the trailer repeatedly, often humming along with it. But his main obsession was with an anime called Maison Ikkoku, about a college student in love with his unattainable landlord, a woman named Kyoko. Walrus was absolutely enthralled with Kyoko, calling her the most beautiful woman he had ever seen, living or cartoon. Indeed, his email address at the time was kyokoslave@____, because he was a "slave to Kyoko." Much of his free time was spent watching episodes of Maison Ikkoku on bootleg VHS tapes. Walrus told me that his ambition was to move to Japan after graduation and find a Japanese bride like Kyoko.

After we graduated, I moved to LA, while Walrus did indeed travel to Japan. He became an English teacher at a high school in Kyoto (I thought they screened out guys like him?). For awhile he did keep a blog about his experience there, A Walrus in Japan.
He also sent me a postcard:

Time passes, and Walrus and I gradually fell out of touch. Then, just recently, I get a phone call from my Mom back home. She says she ran into, who else, my old roommate Walrus. She tells me they chatted for a moment, and it turns out Walrus returned to the US about a year ago . . . with his Japanese wife. He did it. That crazy bastard actually did it. He's living his dream.

I didn't mean for this to turn out so long, but I figured with how odious Denise is, the thread needed a more upbeat story to balance it out.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:ohdear: I think you just drew Anime Chester. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3424713#post393520254

John Liver
May 4, 2009

uglynoodles posted:

This reminds me of some other artist whose work is mediocre and detestable, but I can't quite seem to place the name.

Who could it be...?

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Clarington Grey posted:

He's living his dream.

Unless you have some batshit insanity stories, he honestly just seems like a guy who was maybe a bit too obsessed and perhaps that phase is now gone?

I don't know him, of course, but it seems like someone who had the tenacity to learn a completely different language, move to another country and actually get a spouse from that country, isn't actually too bad and may have his poo poo together.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

I suppose I'll add one of mine as well.

I was (past tense as we don't keep in contact anymore) friends with five other guys back in 5th through the end of 9th grade. Now my friend M had a bunch of video game consoles back when they were new; i.e. N64, PS1, etc. One day he invited me over to his house because we were bros and such and he showed me this new fighting game! We got addicted to Super Smash Bros on the N64 and it sort of branched out into recess at school since our group was really into it. A (another friend, not the letter) would be the leader of these ideas and we'd either adopt the characters from the game and have these mock battles or we'd adopt another character from a different game. It was kind of like an advanced form of tag.

I always felt kind of weird doing this as the other kids would stare at us while we did it. I'm glad I grew out of that after 5th grade. We never really got into "anime" or anything as I never even heard of that until high school. We did watch a shitload of DBZ though and my friend would often pretend to be Goku or something.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Monolith. posted:

A (another friend, not the letter) would be the leader of these ideas and we'd either adopt the characters from the game and have these mock battles or we'd adopt another character from a different game. It was kind of like an advanced form of tag.

So, you guys in 5th grade created mock battles by pretending to be characters from a video game?

Is this not how it's supposed to be?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Yeah Man posted:

Good on you. :golfclap:

Thanks. I might have crushed him, but I was just drained. Between health problems of my own, and my grandfather dying of cancer, I just didn't have it in me to fight some little poo poo who thought he was big for a second and already realized his mistake.

Monolith. posted:

I suppose I'll add one of mine as well.

I was (past tense as we don't keep in contact anymore) friends with five other guys back in 5th through the end of 9th grade. Now my friend M had a bunch of video game consoles back when they were new; i.e. N64, PS1, etc. One day he invited me over to his house because we were bros and such and he showed me this new fighting game! We got addicted to Super Smash Bros on the N64 and it sort of branched out into recess at school since our group was really into it. A (another friend, not the letter) would be the leader of these ideas and we'd either adopt the characters from the game and have these mock battles or we'd adopt another character from a different game. It was kind of like an advanced form of tag.

I always felt kind of weird doing this as the other kids would stare at us while we did it. I'm glad I grew out of that after 5th grade. We never really got into "anime" or anything as I never even heard of that until high school. We did watch a shitload of DBZ though and my friend would often pretend to be Goku or something.

This reminds me of 6th grade. Two mutual friends of mine had a huge argument, and got their groups of friends to have full-on warfare on the grounds at recess for months. Most of us didn't care, we just had fun wrestling and messing around for our "generals". Then we found out that they were fighting over Pokemon cards. Even though that was big at the time, we still all got pissed. The look on their faces as a group of twenty kids surrounded them was hilarious.

Epeenosaurus
Mar 1, 2011

"What if he were not an anime."
-The Worst Unicorn
All hail the reign of the Hairy Manime Gods!

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Grashlok posted:

So, you guys in 5th grade created mock battles by pretending to be characters from a video game?

That was pretty much what every kid did at my school based on that years fad, Ninja Turtles,Power Rangers,Pokemon,WWF.

Although they all played out pretty much the same, hitting each other with sticks or making karate sounds.

Despite the fact I usually hung out with a geeky bunch no one in my circle was über crazy.

The worst was the guy who turned out to be a furry with a demonic dog in his soul, and a girl who had an evil alternate personality named Loki.

Although there was a kid in school who claimed to be extremely rich and that his dad invented snapple and was a billionaire and that they lived in a tiny townhouse to avoid the mafia and they had an underground mansion below his crappy house.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Epeenosaurus posted:

All hail the reign of the Hairy Manime Gods!

Oh my god, I can't breathe!

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

HOT BREAD! posted:

Oh sure why not I'm bored

This was actually sort of difficult, I'm not used to drawing slender ~*bishie anime boyz~*~

Man this poo poo reminds me of that guy I knew in high school who always begged me to draw his fox demon furry characters. Down to the wings and stitches and everything

Somebody's doctor doesn't quite know where the appendix is located.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
My friend Suzie in High School was an artist. We met my sophomore year (she was a year under me) and she always impressed me with her art. Every day she would spend every free moment trying to improve her craft since her dream was getting into some fancy art college.

Then she saw Gundam Wing.

Every picture she drew had Duo in it. Every. Single. One. Doodle in her notebook? Duo. Project for Art class? Duo was in there. Any sort of assignment that involved making something? Duo dressed up as various book characters or historical figures. After school playing dungeon and dragons? Her character had a boyfriend named Duo. Even when she got into other nerdy things like Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter she would simply draw "original" characters that just happened to look like Duo. Every day, every drawing, for four years straight. Such a waste of talent.

Last time I heard from her she had gotten a job doing the artwork for kid's books. I wonder how many of those books feature a character with long braided brown hair.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

What I would pay to see the look on Denise's face were she to see this!

Scionic
Sep 24, 2007

Fun Shoe

Third Murderer posted:

That is horrible! I litterer jumped when I scrolled down.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Grashlok posted:

I never felt quite right with it. I dunno, it's always kind of bothered me when I look back on it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Wow, this thread gets crazier and crazier. Thanks for keeping us updated so promptly!

Khazar-khum posted:

$800 is the base price. That gets you a doll blank from a mold, possibly with no face. It will have no hair, eyes, or any kind of painting. It will even still have the mold lines from the manufacturing of it.
It really depends on the company. Bobobie is like $180 for a full-size doll; Soom/Volks/Iplehouse will be up to about $900 or so.

quote:

My Aunt & Sister collect dolls. My sister has a Dollfie($1300) and a Jace($2K). Jace is made by a Korean company, Soom, I believe. He is big--24" or thereabouts.
Jace is by Unidoll, and he doesn't run nearly $2K (although he's now discontinued for being kind of ugly). Base Jace was like $600. The most expensive dolls I know are some of the limited Sooms. I had a Euclase I re-sold for I think $1,800 when I left the hobby about three or four years back. (Well, almost left--I still have one Iplehouse Kamau.)

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Scionic posted:

That is horrible! I litterer jumped when I scrolled down.
Oh, that's not even the worst part about those dolls. There are entire communities dedicated to people sharing these dolls and writing fan fiction about them.

That's right. Grown people writing stories about their dolls and putting them into relationships with other dolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

~*I Sparkle You Sparkle*~
:allears: Turning bishonen into bears was a neat idea my friend had in AP art one day. I don't know why the teacher didn't hate us when we just sat there shaking in silent laughter and drawing hairy versions of snapesnogger's poo poo for like weeks.

I think the weirdest anime-fan schoolmate I met was huge but acted much younger than his grade. I was looking over some of his artwork and it was all these scrunched armor-wearing guys, each taking up maybe an inch and floating on a sheet of computer paper. He was telling me about his idea for a manga, but he didn't really have much of an idea beyond a serious compulsion to draw one of the armory-dudes getting impaled by a big sword. He really, really just wanted to get to that scene. I squinted, and noticed a bunch of swords and big ovals of blood shooting out of so many of the little scribbly armor guys.

• Locked thread