Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

How do you save Automator workflow documents as applications now? The help file still says to use "Save As", but under Lion, it's only got Save A Version (no "Export").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Krakkles posted:

How do you save Automator workflow documents as applications now? The help file still says to use "Save As", but under Lion, it's only got Save A Version (no "Export").
“Duplicate To…” and then you pick Application as the new document type.

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

United States Federal Bureau of Investigation - "We don't give a shit, holmes."

1997 posted:

Yeah, 10.7.2 has iCloud support built in. There's been some things going around about another possible point release for Snow Leopard to enable iCloud functionality for people who don't have / can't get Lion but nothing is for sure.

I hope snow leopard gets icloud soon. I mean vista works with icloud but not snow leapard?

BrokenDynasty
Dec 25, 2003

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in hardware, or somewhere else entirely, but let me know and I'll remove/add it where it shouldn't/should go.

I use my MBP in my office, my AppleTV in my living room, my iPad/iPhone elsewhere around the house and outside. On all of them I watch movies/television and listen to music (Netflix, NBC iPad App, iTunes, Spotify, etc.). My speaker situation has been severely lacking and I'm looking to get the house setup to meet my needs. Ideally I'd like to purchase several of the same/similar units to place in 3 or 4 locations throughout the house, and then just configure each of my devices to use the appropriate ones depending on what I'm doing and where I am.

So if I'm in the office, and listening to music (from my MBP or iPhone or iPad) only have the office speakers play that music. If I'm watching a movie on the Apple TV in the living room, only have it play over the living room speakers. If I'm listening to music on my iPhone while cleaning the house, have Spotify play to all the speakers in the house (office, living room, bedroom, outside).

Does anyone have a setup like this? What's the most cost-effective and universal solution that will work?
Can I just buy several of these: http://store.apple.com/us/product/H2228VC/A and place one in each location?

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.
I fully expect the answer to be "don't use Safari," but after the latest update in Lion, I've noticed that every so often it becomes impossible to highlight text after switching tabs. It won't fix itself unless I restart. Is anyone else experiencing this?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

TheState posted:

I fully expect the answer to be "don't use Safari," but after the latest update in Lion, I've noticed that every so often it becomes impossible to highlight text after switching tabs. It won't fix itself unless I restart. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Huh, you got any addons? SIMBL? Input Managers?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah that's definitely not normal. Other than SIMBL hacks, try disabling extensions too if you have any of those. Is there any pattern to it breaking like on particular sites or is it seemingly random?

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.
The only one I have on here is 1Password. And like I said, it's totally random. It works like 90% of the time and then it will just... not. Weird. I thought it was just my MacBook Air, but it happened on the Mac Pro earlier. It has to be 1Password, I guess.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Anyone with a SSD have Bootcamp working correctly?

I had all types of troubles with Bootcamp assistant failing to partition the drive. After repairing the file permissions, it partitioned and installed fine, but it seems windows 7 now takes up 24 gb of a 25gb partition, effectively being useless...

I wonder if it's a problem with the SSD, but I've tried the apple hardware tests and using TechTool Pro 5 , and none of them show errors...

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Working fine for me on an 80 GB Intel G1. I think I gave Win7 40 or 60GB but did tweaking after installation to reduce the size of the actual installation (just killed hibernation file and limited page file size off the top of my head). Can you boot into Windows to at least do some tweaking or does it just choke with that little free space?

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

japtor posted:

Working fine for me on an 80 GB Intel G1. I think I gave Win7 40 or 60GB but did tweaking after installation to reduce the size of the actual installation (just killed hibernation file and limited page file size off the top of my head). Can you boot into Windows to at least do some tweaking or does it just choke with that little free space?

It runs just fine... Didn't seem slow or anything, however i didnt install anything.. Mine is a OWC Mercury Pro 120gb running on a mid 2010 Macbook Pro with 8gb added ram.

I removed the partition and am now reinstalling windows to see if it happens again.

:edit: Same issue still exists. 2.95 gb free of 23.9 gb. When i look at properties of all everything installed (only windows professional), it only adds up to 10.8gb

I presume my SSD is acting up, i do occasionally seem to get kernel panics every now and then when sleeping and waking from sleep, but after updating the firmware it seems a little better, but not completely gone.

Is there a decent tool for checking SSD integrity? (Windows or Mac, I guess)

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Oct 27, 2011

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

TheState posted:

The only one I have on here is 1Password. And like I said, it's totally random. It works like 90% of the time and then it will just... not. Weird. I thought it was just my MacBook Air, but it happened on the Mac Pro earlier. It has to be 1Password, I guess.
1Password is a Safari extension now. It really shouldn't be the culprit. You can disable extensions in Safari preferences and double-check. Try going to Apple's Safari site and reinstalling Safari. I'd also try repairing permissions.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Isometric Bacon posted:

It runs just fine... Didn't seem slow or anything, however i didnt install anything.. Mine is a OWC Mercury Pro 120gb running on a mid 2010 Macbook Pro with 8gb added ram.

I removed the partition and am now reinstalling windows to see if it happens again.

:edit: Same issue still exists. 2.95 gb free of 23.9 gb. When i look at properties of all everything installed (only windows professional), it only adds up to 10.8gb

I presume my SSD is acting up, i do occasionally seem to get kernel panics every now and then when sleeping and waking from sleep, but after updating the firmware it seems a little better, but not completely gone.

Is there a decent tool for checking SSD integrity? (Windows or Mac, I guess)
I forget but I'm not sure the hibernation (or page?) file is counted, if so that would explain at least 8GB right there.

Otherwise no clue about the panics, I've heard issues with SandForce drives and sleeping but I think something like that would be consistent rather than now and then. Hit up OWC support I guess.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

japtor posted:

I forget but I'm not sure the hibernation (or page?) file is counted, if so that would explain at least 8GB right there.

Hrm maybe it is just Windows 7 Professional version being larger than usual - I deleted the hibernation files and it lost about 8gb. Not sure how to shed more weight, but it's certainly a start. Thanks for the advice.

I might see if I can find a way to install a even smaller version of Windows 7 on there somehow... I wonder if the home edition is any lighter? I only have a Professional copy.

:edit: got it down to 8.5gb install. Awesome. Still getting occasional Kernel Panics though. I think i'll ask OWC support.

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Oct 27, 2011

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

chimz posted:

You can also use VMware to boot your Boot Camp partition while you're running on Mac, so you have the option to do either with the same Windows install.

That's even better, don't have to install Windows again or worry about resizing hard drives

I think my wife's Macbook has 4 gigs of RAM, haven't looked into what it would take to upgrade it (I think it' s a first generation aluminium unibody 13 inch Macbook Pro) but I guess we'll see how it runs and try to upgrade if necessary

Thanks

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES
So WD is sending me a new HDD even though the one I have is technically fine, just has known issues working with Macbook Pro's (EFI issue). They also upgraded it in size and performance model so as much as I wanted to say "gently caress YOU WESTERN DIGITAL NEVER BUYING YOUR poo poo AGAIN" they remedied the situation so tastefully I will probably recommend them.

Rarely does a company get back to you, trouble shoot then give you a great option in <3 days turn around.

As to a real software question:

Where/how can I sort my download folder automatically? I'd like it done OS side, not just with a browser plugin. Primarily I'd like to send PDF's and maybe some other files to a specific folder.

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009

NerdPolice posted:

Where/how can I sort my download folder automatically? I'd like it done OS side, not just with a browser plugin. Primarily I'd like to send PDF's and maybe some other files to a specific folder.

A folder action in Automator should be able to do that.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Soup in a Bag posted:

Or Hazel http://www.noodlesoft.com/hazel.php

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Tippis posted:

“Duplicate To…” and then you pick Application as the new document type.

Thank you!

1Password question: I got an update for it a few days ago, and ever since it's been showing this:

But there's nothing I can select that appears "new". How do I make the red notification alert go away?

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Krakkles posted:

Thank you!

1Password question: I got an update for it a few days ago, and ever since it's been showing this:

But there's nothing I can select that appears "new". How do I make the red notification alert go away?

If you are running the app store version of 1Password the agent needs to be running. Run the 1Password Application once, and the agent should start.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

SwimNurd posted:

If you are running the app store version of 1Password the agent needs to be running. Run the 1Password Application once, and the agent should start.

Not the app store version, but tried it anyway. No dice.

Edit: Ran the app, checked for updates for the heck of it, it went away after restarting 1password and safari. Guess it was trying to tell me there was an update!

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 27, 2011

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Hate the new tab page in Google Chrome 15 as much as I do?

code:
Sams-iMac:MacOS sampson$ mv Google\ Chrome Google\ Chromee
Sams-iMac:MacOS sampson$ vim Google\ Chrome
Sams-iMac:MacOS sampson$ chmod +x Google\ Chrome
Sams-iMac:MacOS sampson$ cat Google\ Chrome
#!/bin/bash
/Applications/Google\ Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/Google\ Chromee --new-tab-page
Sams-iMac:MacOS sampson$

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES

Soup in a Bag posted:

Worked perfect! Thank you, no way was I going to pay $20 bucks for Hazel if it was a feature already include in OSX.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

flyboi posted:

Hate the new tab page in Google Chrome 15 as much as I do?

code:
Sams-iMac:MacOS sampson$ mv Google\ Chrome Google\ Chromee
Sams-iMac:MacOS sampson$ vim Google\ Chrome
Sams-iMac:MacOS sampson$ chmod +x Google\ Chrome
Sams-iMac:MacOS sampson$ cat Google\ Chrome
#!/bin/bash
/Applications/Google\ Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/Google\ Chromee --new-tab-page
Sams-iMac:MacOS sampson$

That just seems like a crazy hack (I don't use Chrome) - surely there's a plist setting or something, no?

BrokenDynasty
Dec 25, 2003

Is there some piece of software (or some way to use keyboard shortcuts) to have mail templates/canned responses in Mail? There are 7 or 8 several paragraph mails that I send fairly often and now I just look for the most recently sent mail with the content in it and copy paste, but if there was an easier way (ala iOS keyboard shortcuts) where I could just type 'canned1' and it fills in the appropriate content.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

BrokenDynasty posted:

Is there some piece of software (or some way to use keyboard shortcuts) to have mail templates/canned responses in Mail? There are 7 or 8 several paragraph mails that I send fairly often and now I just look for the most recently sent mail with the content in it and copy paste, but if there was an easier way (ala iOS keyboard shortcuts) where I could just type 'canned1' and it fills in the appropriate content.

If they're random paragraphs you throw into a larger email, you might want to do something that lets you convert shorthand acronyms to them, like textexpander.http://www.smilesoftware.com/TextExpander/ (this might be effectively built into lion now)

Alternately, there are serveral results on google that sound like what you'd want - http://socializedsoftware.com/2010/02/13/easily-create-custom-stationary-in-apples-mail-app/ et cetera.

Applescript in Mail.app is another option.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah I think Lion added in the text shortcuts like iOS 5 did, although I haven't tried it out and have no clue if it's meant to expand into full paragraphs.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

BrokenDynasty posted:

Set up signatures with the text you want and choose from that list?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I'm having an odd problem, I'm wondering if it's common.

Basically all my web browsers are acting strange. When I open Firefox, it can't load any webpage, it just keeps trying to connect. Safari and Chrome can load pages, but will freeze often and give me the spinning wheel. Chrome will also freeze on webpages often, making me kill that tab.

Is there something that could be causing problems in my browsers but not other apps? Everything seems to be running fine except for my browsers.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

triplexpac posted:

I'm having an odd problem, I'm wondering if it's common.

Basically all my web browsers are acting strange. When I open Firefox, it can't load any webpage, it just keeps trying to connect. Safari and Chrome can load pages, but will freeze often and give me the spinning wheel. Chrome will also freeze on webpages often, making me kill that tab.

Is there something that could be causing problems in my browsers but not other apps? Everything seems to be running fine except for my browsers.

I was having that problem the other day with Chrome (but not Safari). Reinstalling Chrome (including all the roots it puts down in Application Support, etc.) totally resolved the issue for me, so maybe give that a shot.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Scienter posted:

I was having that problem the other day with Chrome (but not Safari). Reinstalling Chrome (including all the roots it puts down in Application Support, etc.) totally resolved the issue for me, so maybe give that a shot.

So I deleted Chrome, but now Safari is freezing after about 5 seconds every time I open it so I can't download Chrome again haha.

Maybe I'll just backup my files and reinstall OSX, it's been a while.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Fayk posted:

That just seems like a crazy hack (I don't use Chrome) - surely there's a plist setting or something, no?

Not that I could find. With all the radical changes and breaking of Chrome I just can't take it anymore. I could totally switch to Safari for my browser if there was a way to fix one thing and I'm hoping you guys could help. My issue can be seen thusly: In safari open a new tab and type a url in the bar but don't push enter yet. Switch back to the previous tab and then back to the new tab and the url bar is blank. HOW DO I MAKE SAFARI NOT DO THAT?!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

triplexpac posted:

So I deleted Chrome, but now Safari is freezing after about 5 seconds every time I open it so I can't download Chrome again haha.

Maybe I'll just backup my files and reinstall OSX, it's been a while.

Have you tried going into your library and moving the preferences and Application Support folders and files for Safari, and letting it start out fresh?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

IUG posted:

Have you tried going into your library and moving the preferences and Application Support folders and files for Safari, and letting it start out fresh?

I will try that next! Thanks for all your help guys. I can't think of anything that would suddenly be causing this, I haven't installed anything or changed any settings that I can think of. So strange that all my browsers are broken in different ways.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
http://www.winamp.com/mac

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

KingEup posted:

http://www.winamp.com/mac

That just reminds me of like a decade ago when they were "totally making a winamp for mac" OS…9, maybe? Shame that never got off the ground. Old winamp was perfectly good at playing music and nothing further.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

triplexpac posted:

I will try that next! Thanks for all your help guys. I can't think of anything that would suddenly be causing this, I haven't installed anything or changed any settings that I can think of. So strange that all my browsers are broken in different ways.
Got Flash? Well that wouldn't explain Chrome but might for the other browsers if it's hosed up in some way, otherwise maybe some other plugin is screwing up.

Have you tested out a fresh user account/guest to see if it's a system wide thing or specific to your account?

Zenostein posted:

That just reminds me of like a decade ago when they were "totally making a winamp for mac" OS…9, maybe? Shame that never got off the ground. Old winamp was perfectly good at playing music and nothing further.
It was...weird I guess. I remember some WinAmp or MacAmp beta that looked like WinAmp, then funky stuff with the name ownership happened and one team changed to MacAst or something while I can't remember what happened to the other.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

japtor posted:

It was...weird I guess. I remember some WinAmp or MacAmp beta that looked like WinAmp, then funky stuff with the name ownership happened and one team changed to MacAst or something while I can't remember what happened to the other.

Nah, this was like 2002–3 or so, before I had a mac. A friend was asking for a music player and I recall showing it to her and saying "try this, it's pretty great in windows." It was legit Winamp, by Nullsoft and all.

Oh! Found it:

http://www.tucows.com/preview/206623

I can't believe a) tucows still exists b) they have something this old. I might just throw it on my Cube!

samiamwork
Dec 23, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Is it just me or are OS X media players using open source decoder libraries less optimized than windows builds using the same libraries? Or are the decoders just as efficient but something else is causing the disparity?

In what way are you noticing this disparity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Zenostein posted:

Nah, this was like 2002–3 or so, before I had a mac. A friend was asking for a music player and I recall showing it to her and saying "try this, it's pretty great in windows." It was legit Winamp, by Nullsoft and all.

Oh! Found it:

http://www.tucows.com/preview/206623

I can't believe a) tucows still exists b) they have something this old. I might just throw it on my Cube!
I think that's one of the ones I used, it was an interesting/messy time of MP3 player development. I'm not sure I even knew it was a public release at the time...I bet I got it through a Hotline server or something.

edit: Brought up those old rear end MP3 players with a friend and he got to asking about Kaleidoscope...and much fun was had once I found kaleidoscope.net was still running for some reason. For an easier way of browsing this blast from the past search site:kaleidoscope.net in Google Images and prepare to be amazed.

japtor fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 29, 2011