Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Third Man posted:

That's not a very fair criticism considering any offering from Rolls Royce or Bentley, which I believe this car is meant to compete with, will have similarly low power-to-weight figures.

It's only 20hp or so less than a Rolls-Royce Phantom and probably lighter, so I'm guessing the performance will be 'adequate' :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

so this is what the FT-86 is supposedly going to look like. The white one is the "Modelista" version while the red shows 2 differing body styles that are presumably optional. still no word on the Subaru version. Personally I think the white looks the best.

(from http://www.ft86club.com/)

Mr. Pither
May 28, 2006

Hello, friends!
One thing that should be kept in mind is that those are advertisements for custom parts. If those pictures are genuine (and they seem to be) then it's still likely to look different from the stock car.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I wish the spec sheet page leaked along with those car shots. I think the stock body looks pretty handsome (minus the tail lights), and all the glowing reviews of the car have me more and more excited for it to come out.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/Toyota-FT-86-coupe-2012-CAR-review-/

quote:

What's the 2012 Toyota FT-86 like to drive?
It’s great fun. There’s fantastic throttle response, quick, well weighted steering and a nice firm brake pedal. Add little inputs to the steering when you’re driving in a straight line at speed and the front end darts immediately – no slop, no roll, it’s just 100% obedient and alert.

Clearly, it’s not a GT-R chaser, but that’s the whole point – the focus here is on dynamics you can explore at lower speeds. The flat-four zings happily and spins round the dial to 7500rpm, at which point you get a flashing light and a well-judged soft rev limiter – not a sudden cut-out. Doesn’t sound much like a flat-four though – perhaps this is intentional, as the flat-four sound is such a Subaru trademark.

The gear ratios are closely stacked, and help to keep this modestly powered 2.0-litre spinning, but the ratios are well chosen so as not to be tiresome: 60mph in sixth gear brings up 2500rpm – relatively high, yes, but not daft. The gearshift could be slicker, but the lever has an engagingly short throw.

Even without sliding it around, the FT-86 is very obviously rear-wheel drive: get to the limit in a second-gear corner and accelerate harder and you feel the back end point the front back exactly where you want it. It responds well to a really aggressive driving style. Shame that the stability controls’ Sport setting was too intrusive, although Toyota’s engineers said they had a less intrusive set-up that they were also experimenting with.

The Toyota FT-86 is great news for enthusiasts: it’s affordable, frugal and relatively practical. You also don’t have to be a driving deity to explore its limits. If anything, we’d adjust the high-speed, on-limit balance (firmer front end, more progressive transition into oversteer, tighter differential), but that doesn’t undo the underlying fact that this is a great car, and one that trounces its closest rival, the Mazda MX-5, in the fun stakes.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Toyota-FT-86-first-drive/259779/

quote:

First impressions: it feels light and compact, a bit like an MX-5. The driving position is low, straight and snug, with grippy front seats (and not a lot of room in the back).

The Toyota FT-86 feels quick enough, too, with a precise if a touch notchy gearchange, and an engine note that’s a bit growly – there’s not much flat-four burble. Tweaking the NVH is high on Toyota’s ‘to-do’ list. It has a broad power curve - it revs to 7500 but there’s no desperate need to wind it that far past the mid-range.

It’s hard to accurately guage the ride on a concrete airfield, but the FT-86 feels quite deftly set-up, light on its feet, with a touch of tyre roar that’s to be expected.

It steers easily too. At 2.5 turns lock-to-lock the steering’s quick without being hyperactive, and is light-to-middling in weight. It all adds to the impression that this is going to be an easy car to get along with.

Find a corner and you’ll find some roll, but its rate is well contained. The FT-86’s weight distribution is 53/47 per cent front/rear, so it’ll nudge into steady-state understeer if you’re on a constant throttle, where it grips moderately well and is pleasingly poised.

The great thing about the FT-86 though is, as promised, it really handles. It lets you choose how you want to corner. Add any amount of power and it’ll turn at least neutral. Trail the brakes into a bend, give a mid-corner throttle-lift or, well, just give the steering a bit of a bung and lots of throttle and it’ll either straighten its line or give you armfuls of oversteer, utterly as you prefer.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mr. Pither posted:

One thing that should be kept in mind is that those are advertisements for custom parts. If those pictures are genuine (and they seem to be) then it's still likely to look different from the stock car.

Modellista is a tuning house. But maybe some of the stuff will be co-opted as Scion accessories. Like those vents :supaburn:

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
I've already started saving for one :) Though I don't know which version I'd get. I heard the Subie is supposed to pack more HP, but it's all conjecture until November 30th.

Whichever one is cheapest, base model here I come!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Looks nice. I wonder how well this will do against the Genesis coupe though. The styling is pretty close but the Genesis probably has more power, especially with its V6. I guess it will probably depend how they price this thing.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
I love that the info on the FT-86 was posted on page 86. I think the FRS concept looked hotter but this will do.

If the Lancia doesn't bankrupt me this could be my next car.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

quote:

Doesn’t sound much like a flat-four though – perhaps this is intentional, as the flat-four sound is such a Subaru trademark.

for the FT86, vs

quote:

No doubt because of the direct injection, the flat-four revs far more lustily than any non-turbo Subaru, but the sound - basically that of an Evinrude outboard chasing a smallmouth bass - is typical for a Subaru flattie.

for the BRZ. I hope the Subaru version really does sound like a mean flattie, and anything that makes the Toyota version less Subaru-ish is cool by me.

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.
Isn't the boxer rumble due to unequal length headers?

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

Why are they putting prius tires on the test mules? That better not make it to production, unless they want it to be drift city.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

beatdown posted:

Why are they putting prius tires on the test mules? That better not make it to production, unless they want it to be drift city.

They were obviously talking about dimensions, and thus price, which apparently is a big deal to the mythical boy racer demographic they're chasing.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Thats one thing I dont get. Boyracers dont buy new cars. they buy older japanese cars that have a strong aftermarket and community for cheaper power, because they usually dont have money to buy a brand new car, and then half rear end everything as they go along modifying.

its especially funny how many people are posting on that Ft86 forum asking about stud pattern and wheel fitment as if a cars worth hinges entirely on how great it can look while hard parked in their driveway.

Mr. Toast
Oct 10, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Laserface posted:

its especially funny how many people are posting on that Ft86 forum asking about stud pattern and wheel fitment as if a cars worth hinges entirely on how great it can look while hard parked in their driveway.

A lot of people think this way :(

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Laserface posted:

It's a lot easier to buy aftermarket wheels when you don't run an oddball bolt pattern like 110x5.

But then again would anybody expect a joint from Subaru / Toyota to run anything OTHER than 5x100? Both companies usually stick to 5x100 or 5x114.3.

Edit: But yeah I'm sure it's just a bunch of guys wanting to play dress up with their cars to park them hard at the Sam's Club parking lot for the late night meetups and hot import nights (do they still have those?)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

kimcicle posted:

It's a lot easier to buy aftermarket wheels when you don't run an oddball bolt pattern like 110x5.

But then again would anybody expect a joint from Subaru / Toyota to run anything OTHER than 5x100? Both companies usually stick to 5x100 or 5x114.3.

Edit: But yeah I'm sure it's just a bunch of guys wanting to play dress up with their cars to park them hard at the Sam's Club parking lot for the late night meetups and hot import nights (do they still have those?)

Yes, they still do, and Im 90% sure that subaru has moved to 5x114.3 as of the last 2 STi versions, and toyota has always used that on their sports cars after the 90s.

its not like I dont think it looks good (I have 18x8 and 18x9 on my 180SX) but when buying a car my decision is not based on what wheels will fit and how much stretch i will need. For whatever reason 'fit the car around the wheels' has become the mantra of the import community. I run the fattest tires I can on mine (235/40/18 and 255/35/18) because what is the loving point of a 9" wide wheel if youre putting a 7" wide tire on it?

/derail

theres been a leak of the interior too (photos rather than scan) which is still camo'd but has some CF inserts, stereo with aux/mp3, digital and needle speedo, and push button start (also has a blank where the ignition barrel could go, so may be a factory option?)

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips

kimbo305 posted:

They were obviously talking about dimensions, and thus price, which apparently is a big deal to the mythical boy racer demographic they're chasing.

I think this is more about the midlife-crisis-on-a-budget demographic, aka Z/Genesis Coupe/Camaro territory.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Autism Monday posted:

I think this is more about the midlife-crisis-on-a-budget demographic, aka Z/Genesis Coupe/Camaro territory.

The Camaro has its obvious market. The turbo GC is probably the only car that's a natural cross-shop, and will be markedly cheaper. I find it hard to believe that Toyota is really committing to a car whose major selling point is handling and driving fun. This is nuts.

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.

Laserface posted:

theres been a leak of the interior too (photos rather than scan) which is still camo'd but has some CF inserts, stereo with aux/mp3, digital and needle speedo, and push button start (also has a blank where the ignition barrel could go, so may be a factory option?)

Are you referring to this one?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I've been following the progress of the FT-86 for what seems like years now, and I'm extremely excited about it. I love that Toyota of all companies has joined with Subaru, one of my favorite auto manufacturers, to create a car that is unique, sporty, and absolutely has a place in the current market. I am very seriously thinking about getting one, and I've been a fan of the AE86 Corolla for a decade at least, even adding to my excitement.

And then I think, but why? What does the FT-86 twins (triplets?) do that the S2000 doesn't? Other than being new with a nice shiny warranty and back seats, that is. I guess it's hard comparing a new car that hasn't come out yet to one that has been out of production for two years, but I think the S2k is a better comparison than the Mustang or Genesis Coupe even though it is a convertible, largely due to weight, aspiration, engine size, coming from the "other" huge Japanese automaker, etc.

The S2000 weighs 2,835lbs, so yeah, it might have a couple hundred pounds on the FT if they can really keep it near 2,400lbs, but if you are really concerned about weight I guess you could rip out the convertible hardware and motors and get a lightweight top to help. But you already have one of the best (and most powerful) NA 4 cylinder engines ever made with ~40 more horsepower out of the box, mated to a 6 speed transmission in a RWD car with 50:50 distribution, capable of 700+ whp on a stock block, and with 10 years of production spent hammering out the bugs. And the best part is they can be had for what amounts to 15,000+ dollars cheaper than the supposed $28k price of the FT. I guess it can come down to the 2+2, but who honestly is going to be buying an FT-86 to haul around 4 people?

I think the value in the new 86 cars is that a company that spent the last 15 years trying to crush their sporty models in favor of bland crossovers and beige sedans has put in the R&D and taken a chance to bring a true lightweight RWD car back to the market. Even though it seems Subaru might have done all the heavy lifting. But I think if I really wanted a RWD high revving 4 banger, I'd save the money and be one step ahead with the S2000.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

One thing you may be forgetting about the 2+2 arrangement its that in some markets, a 2-seater is far more expensive to insure than a 4-seater, even if the +2 is a token padded shelf.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Don't forget the RX-8, although I think its days are numbered. It's a nice Japanese RWD coupe with decent power and excellent handling. It definitely seems like a competitor to the FT-86.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Billy Zane posted:

Are you referring to this one?

Thats the one.

BoostCreep posted:

S2000 :words:

Nothing Honda has done has ever made me go 'hey, I could drive that' but then again almost all their cars are front wheel drive, sub 2.0L and Naturally aspirated. The only car I will own that has powered front wheels will also have to have powered rear wheels. FWD is just not fun to me at all. In the case of the S2K, I dont like convertibles. I am not a big fan of the looks either.

Cakefool posted:

One thing you may be forgetting about the 2+2 arrangement its that in some markets, a 2-seater is far more expensive to insure than a 4-seater, even if the +2 is a token padded shelf.

I always thought it was 2 doors + 4 seats = higher insurance (maybe because in the case of emergency exit, its harder for people to get out of the rear?) . I mean, 2 seaters probably get hit just because there isnt a whole lot of 2 seater cars that arent dedicated sports cars.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Cakefool posted:

Totally true. However, I think the savings in buying a gently used S2k over a brand new FT-86 to the tune of $10,000 or so would help offset that expense.

mod sassinator posted:

Don't forget the RX-8, although I think its days are numbered.

Completely forgot the RX-8, thanks. I haven't done any research on used prices, but I am sure it's pretty close to the S2k as well. Also I think its days are already up? http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110822/CARNEWS/110829973

Laserface posted:

In the case of the S2K, I dont like convertibles. I am not a big fan of the looks either.

Looks are certainly subjective, but the OEM hard top is actually quite nice to get around the convertible part. You don't HAVE to take it off. :)

I've also never been a huge fan of Hondas over the years, but I did own an S2000 for a little while, and after having two Evos ('03 and '06), an '09 STI, Legacy GT Spec.B, S14 240sx, and numerous other cars, the S2000 is the one I really miss the most. The way it screamed up to 8000rpm and would happily cruise along at 6k rpm just gave it so much character. I bet if you drove one it might change your mind.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
It's rear end ugly with the hard top though.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
My head sticks out above the windshield of a s2k. Maybe not on a BRZ.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oh how I wish the FT-86/BRZ could be sold at a reasonable price here. Instead, it's probably going to cost a million billion bucks. If they even decide to bring it here :(

I just want a reasonably-sized, reasonably-priced RWD 4-seater with a fun little revvy engine. Is that really too much to ask for?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Laserface posted:

I always thought it was 2 doors + 4 seats = higher insurance (maybe because in the case of emergency exit, its harder for people to get out of the rear?) . I mean, 2 seaters probably get hit just because there isnt a whole lot of 2 seater cars that arent dedicated sports cars.

Nah, 2-seater = high risk sportscar, thats pretty much it. People who buy 2 seaters are a high risk as a rule, so the cars become high risk by association. This is also why so many cars have the stupid +2 shelf when they shouldn't have bothered.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Oh how I wish the FT-86/BRZ could be sold at a reasonable price here. Instead, it's probably going to cost a million billion bucks. If they even decide to bring it here :(

I just want a reasonably-sized, reasonably-priced RWD 4-seater with a fun little revvy engine. Is that really too much to ask for?

where are you?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Laserface posted:

where are you?

Denmark. The cheapest 1.8 Miata is ~$70K.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

KozmoNaut posted:

You mean the cheapest MX5 :v: .

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

hahaha what.

and i thought australia was bad.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Cakefool posted:

From what my insurance agent says, this is driven not so much by the car, but by the market segment that buys it. The insurance agents have become expert at all sorts of statistics-based prejudice. For instance, it would have cost more for me to get liability insurance on a (4-seat) Civic or STI than a 2-seat Porsche because the Porsche driver is, statistically, less likely to get into an accident.

The FT-86 isn't going to be driven by soccer dads, it's going to be driven, in large part, by aggressive drivers through a wide range of demographics. If it lives up to the hype, it's going to be relatively costly to insure, no matter if it has 2 seats or 4.

KozmoNaut posted:

Ouch! That's almost singapore-bad. Any way you could buy it in another country and drive it home without the massive mark-up?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BoostCreep posted:

And then I think, but why? What does the FT-86 twins (triplets?) do that the S2000 doesn't? Other than being new with a nice shiny warranty and back seats, that is.

Completely forgot the RX-8, thanks. I haven't done any research on used prices, but I am sure it's pretty close to the S2k as well. Also I think its days are already up?

There's your answer. You like the S2k and RX-8. Those aren't being made any more. We should be glad any company is willing to take a shot at a car that can even compare to those. Frankly, I don't think the market is there for a car like that anymore, which is evidenced by the S2k and RX-8 departing.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Autism Monday posted:

I was thinking more quarter-life-crisis-on-a-budget demographic.

Edit: I was under the impression that this car will be able to seat normal sized people as opposed to the miata where you have to be a tiny midget baby just to see out of the windshield. I think the FR-S is going to have space in the back for objects bigget than a shoebox, that's the appeal. A fun to drive car that you can actually do other things with besides go fast.

Rabble fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

grover posted:

Ouch! That's almost singapore-bad. Any way you could buy it in another country and drive it home without the massive mark-up?

Well, sure.

But it won't have any plates on it and you won't be able to drive it on public roads :v:

It's not the car as such that's ridiculously expensive, it's the registration. The car by itself is around $23K, the rest is taxes and registration fees.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

BoostCreep posted:

The S2000 weighs 2,835lbs, so yeah, it might have a couple hundred pounds on the FT if they can really keep it near 2,400lbs, but if you are really concerned about weight I guess you could rip out the convertible hardware and motors and get a lightweight top to help. But you already have one of the best (and most powerful) NA 4 cylinder engines ever made with ~40 more horsepower out of the box, mated to a 6 speed transmission in a RWD car with 50:50 distribution, capable of 700+ whp on a stock block, and with 10 years of production spent hammering out the bugs. And the best part is they can be had for what amounts to 15,000+ dollars cheaper than the supposed $28k price of the FT. I guess it can come down to the 2+2, but who honestly is going to be buying an FT-86 to haul around 4 people?

I think the value in the new 86 cars is that a company that spent the last 15 years trying to crush their sporty models in favor of bland crossovers and beige sedans has put in the R&D and taken a chance to bring a true lightweight RWD car back to the market. Even though it seems Subaru might have done all the heavy lifting. But I think if I really wanted a RWD high revving 4 banger, I'd save the money and be one step ahead with the S2000.

The S2k retailed for almost $10k more new than the FT. I know it was designed 10 years ago and it's a convertible, but somehow I doubt that, even as a coupe, Toyota of all people will have somehow dropped weight on a slightly larger car with a similarly sized engine. I think the chances of the FT weighing significantly less than the S2k are quite slim.

I mean look at this commparison:

quote:

FT86:
Length: 163.78 inches / Width: 69.29 inches / Height: 48.19 inches / Wheelbase: 101.18 inches

AE86 (1983):
Length: 168.7 inches / Width: 64 inches / Height: 52.6 inches / Wheelbase: 94.5 inches / Weight: 2094

Toyota Yaris Hatch:
Length: 153.5 inches / Width: 66.7 inches / Height: 59.4 inches / Wheelbase: 98.8 inches / Weight: 2295 pounds

Genesis coupe:
Length: 182.3 inches / Width: 73.4 inches / Height: 54.5 / Wheelbase: 111 inches / Weight: 3289 pounds

370Z:
Length: 167.2 inches / Width: 72.8 inches / Height: 51.8 inches / Wheelbase: 100.4 inches / Weight: 3,359 pounds

Civic coupe:
Length: 175.5 inches / Width: 68.9 inches / Height: 55 inches / Wheelbase: 104.3 inches / Weight: 2600 lbs

Scion tC coupe:
Length: 174 inches / Width: 69.1 inches / Height: 55.7 inches / Wheelbase: 106.3 inches / Weight: 2905lbs (manual) - 2970 (auto)

S2000:
Length: 162.7 inches / Width: 68.9 inches / Height: 50 inches / Wheelbase: 94.5 inches / Weight: 2809lbs

CaymanS:
Length: 172.1 inches / Width: 70.9 inches / Height: 51.4 inches / Wheelbase: 95.1 inches
Weight: 2965lbs

Also, according to some random dude on the internet, the FT is much smaller than the Genesis Coupe, and comparing the two on anything other than price is difficult:

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 30, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

Also, according to some random dude on the internet, the FT is much smaller than the Genesis Coupe, and comparing the two on anything other than price is difficult:

Depends on who GC buyers are. It's the cheapest (and not by much) advertised RWD sports coupe. Maybe they don't care about the size. Maybe they'd much rather have superb handling. Somehow I doubt the last point, especially since the GC isn't a bad drive itself.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
just FYI coupes tend to be lighter than convertibles, although less advantage vs ground-up designs like the S2000.

depends on HSS content and stuff like that too, there have been a lot of materials advances since the S2000 came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Cakefool posted:

Nah, 2-seater = high risk sportscar, thats pretty much it. People who buy 2 seaters are a high risk as a rule, so the cars become high risk by association. This is also why so many cars have the stupid +2 shelf when they shouldn't have bothered.

Finally. some sort of explanation for those loving seats. I still have almost no explanation for the people who actually expect you to sit in them.

'Let's take my car. It four seats - you can fold up in the back.':v:
*has a Peugeot 308 Convertible* :emo: