Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
Is there any way for older mods for GTA4 to work on only GTA4 even if you have the EFLC installed? Or would I have to uninstall them and only work with an older version of GTA4 to mod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Sometimes I feel like the only person in the world that had no complaints and enjoyed all the characters and settings in each Grand Theft Auto, from 3 onward.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

5er posted:

Sometimes I feel like the only person in the world that had no complaints and enjoyed all the characters and settings in each Grand Theft Auto, from 3 onward.

Maybe I'm easy to please when it comes to movies, television, and games but I pretty much feel the same way. I know GTA IV gets a lot of crap from people but I found it to be incredibly enjoyable and the things I didn't enjoy were things I could easily overlook. GTA IV was different but there is nothing wrong with that. Hell I applaud when a studio takes a different approach to a franchise that is as popular as GTA. I also wouldn't mind a return to a GTA: SA level of customization.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

LAWLandMine posted:

Maybe I'm easy to please when it comes to movies, television, and games but I pretty much feel the same way. I know GTA IV gets a lot of crap from people but I found it to be incredibly enjoyable and the things I didn't enjoy were things I could easily overlook. GTA IV was different but there is nothing wrong with that. Hell I applaud when a studio takes a different approach to a franchise that is as popular as GTA. I also wouldn't mind a return to a GTA: SA level of customization.

It's funny because in the GTAIV hype thread a ton of people were clamoring for a more realistic GTA.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Knightmare posted:

It's funny because in the GTAIV hype thread a ton of people were clamoring for a more realistic GTA.

Yeah I remember people were looking at pictures from the bank mission out of context and saying that the dufflebag meant you could carry one big weapon and then a pistol or a small machinegun and being excited for that feature.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah I remember people were looking at pictures from the bank mission out of context and saying that the dufflebag meant you could carry one big weapon and then a pistol or a small machinegun and being excited for that feature.

So, you want a realistic, down-to-earth show... that's completely off-the-wall and swarming with magic robots?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

ElwoodCuse posted:

So, you want a realistic, down-to-earth show... that's completely off-the-wall and swarming with magic robots?

Yes, but only if the characters approach everything as part of their everyday tedium.

"Fuckin' super laser robots ruining my commute. I gotta take Packie out bowling but the traffic's backed up too badly on account of all the craters after the last nuclear battle they had! I hate when this poo poo happens!"

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ElwoodCuse posted:

Niko: I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Niko died on the way back to his home planet

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Knightmare posted:

I was one of these people. And I'm still one of these people.

I really liked GTAIV when it did realistic GTAIV right -- the Broker, and Dukes portions of IV, the entirety of TLAD -- and I have no issues with GTA being realistic so long as it stays consistent.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

5er posted:

I personally didn't care for the melodrama that came with GTA 4, but overall it was an enjoyable experience.

To throw it out there I think GTA 5 might be set in DC having seen the dollar bill like "V" from the released title. Though the rumors of it set in an expanded Los Santos makes sense.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I don't think I played more than an hour of the missions and just sandboxed the rest of the last 4 years.

I loved GTAIV and can't wait for GTAV

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
I loved the hell out of IV and have no real complains other than some areas just felt a little empty or were non-interactive cock teases (skate ramps, amusement park, that cool looking art gallery, etc). The fact that Rockstar had a bunch of this stuff in place makes me think they just ran out of time and had to cut some of it out. It was nice that they finally let us use the driving range in Gay Tony though.

If any of the casting leaks are to be believed, all signs point to GTA V being set in and around Los Angeles/Hollywood. It's kind of interesting that Rockstar shut their whole site down just to have nothing but a title page, and it says trailer instead of teaser. I'm hoping that means we get some real meaty chunks of info and not a few scraps of speculation.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Vivek posted:

I might have given a poo poo about her if she had a friend ability like all the other friends/girlfriends.

Date Kate 70%:

- call in for an appropriate bible chapter when you're on minimum health
- receive cableknit shroud
- Kate organises your funeral (everybody gets drunk but her)

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

That's actually something else I'd like to see Rockstar ditch. All the social elements, dating and such. Yes, it's nice I have the ability to play darts, but that doesn't mean I want to drag some idiot AI around to play it.

Having NPCs that grant you special abilities is a good idea, like Jacob's magic trunk with weapons, but it's embarrasing to sit through another round of pixel tits/Russian theater.

Actual quests instead could be nice. But what they pulled in IV was one of the reasons I didn't really like that game (and one of the reasons I didn't like San Andreas, as they started that dating bullshit there)

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
If they left it to you entirely as a passive option, that would be okay. It's the loving interruptions when you're in the middle of something that get really irritating after a while. What I do now on replays is make sure none of these clots - except Jacob - will even phone me anymore. Sniping shirtless Brucie when he's waiting for you to pick him up from the hospital is intensely cathartic. Also: the 50 ways to kill Michelle. As for Roman, how I missed that chainsaw from VC.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
GTA IV was a huge step forward in the terms of realism. I always wanted GTA to feel something like the shoot-out scene in Heat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zssZQBDUj-A ) and GTA IV did just that.

The one thing you had to give up was the ability to use your money for true domination of the city like in Vice City.

TheRealGunde
Aug 13, 2007

Underflow posted:

If they left it to you entirely as a passive option, that would be okay. It's the loving interruptions when you're in the middle of something that get really irritating after a while. What I do now on replays is make sure none of these clots - except Jacob - will even phone me anymore. Sniping shirtless Brucie when he's waiting for you to pick him up from the hospital is intensely cathartic. Also: the 50 ways to kill Michelle. As for Roman, how I missed that chainsaw from VC.
Try the sleep mode in the phone. Yay, no calls!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Your friends basically never called you in Lost & Damned or Ballad of Gay Tony so I'm pretty sure Rockstar have learned their lesson on that front.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Underflow posted:

So this, I'm all for getting rid of them ringing up every 5 seconds but I hope to god they don't remove it entirely. Hanging out and getting wasted with all your buddies was one of my favourite parts. I'm also going to be mad if they don't add a bunch more Ballad of Gay Tony style night-clubs because those were awesome.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Niko and his buddies said some pretty interesting and hilarious things when wasted.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

TheRealGunde posted:

Try the sleep mode in the phone. Yay, no calls!

Yeah, but it doesn't stick after reloads and interferes with the few mission-related calls you get. Shouldn't be a problem to make your friends less invasive, like the other guy said. In the expansions you have the perks if you want them, but not the harrassment. Also, telling Michelle to gently caress off when she pumps you for more dates is satisfying.

Law posted:

So this, I'm all for getting rid of them ringing up every 5 seconds but I hope to god they don't remove it entirely. Hanging out and getting wasted with all your buddies was one of my favourite parts. I'm also going to be mad if they don't add a bunch more Ballad of Gay Tony style night-clubs because those were awesome.

Ah yeah, that would be fun. I spent a lot of time in Hercules perfecting my disco dancing; got some puzzled looks from my wife. I'd expected Maisonnette 9 to be more like Studio 54, but it was fun in its own way. I thought the house tracks worked really well.

Can't help going on about a '70s instalment in the current engine, but jesus would that be nice. Was watching Blow again the other day and thought how loving great it would be if RS rolled up a few movies in that vein - as well as a few genuine classics - and cooked up the utimate retro game on as many discs as they can.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Niko and his buddies said some pretty interesting and hilarious things when wasted.
Getting wasted with Kate was one of the most horrifying things in the game.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
I actually liked hanging out with my buddies, its them making it some sort of obligation that I didn't like. Same with exercising/eating, flight schools, and gang wars in SA. I should be able to go, and do what I like in an open world game, not be hamstrung by chores.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

"Heeeey! Yellow caaaaaaaaar!"

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Stare-Out posted:

"Heeeey! Yellow caaaaaaaaar!"

MMMMMMMMMMMEEEEESTERRR MANNN.

I hope 5 will have RDR's bullet wounds, they were fantastic. Along with IV's ragdolls. I found RDR's ragdoll to be stiff.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

webmeister posted:

Your friends basically never called you in Lost & Damned or Ballad of Gay Tony so I'm pretty sure Rockstar have learned their lesson on that front.

They also extended the time they will wait before bitching to two hours, instead of one, which in my mind suggests that whatever they will have in place for V will be an improvement.

I also understand much of the Kate hate and can't believe that I'm posting about it on the internet, but it makes more sense for Niko's character to be attracted to her intead of any other of the women Niko can date. Out of the five, only Michelle and Kate have anything resembling a sane personality (if you can disregard the heavyhanded way the game hints at what Michelle is). Whether or not the story should contain a forced romance is another question.

Then again, all that bitching about Kate since the game came reminds me of all the bitching about CJ and Sweet returning to Los Santos to reclaim the hood at the end of SA.

Anyway, I'm cautiously excited about the release and predict that the font and security pattern on the V is a hint towards the main plot or one of its devices - a counterfeiting ring or a massive heist and its fallout, while the location will be one of the three usual cities - most likely, Vice, sometime between the 70s and 2011.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I hated reclaiming those weird slivers of gang territory that would be like, a sidewalk and half of a parking lot. Why did they even include those when laying out gang territories in Los Santos?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

trandorian posted:

I hated reclaiming those weird slivers of gang territory that would be like, a sidewalk and half of a parking lot. Why did they even include those when laying out gang territories in Los Santos?

Seems like sidewalks and parking lots would be places gangs would want to control to sell drugs I guess.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

davebo posted:

Seems like sidewalks and parking lots would be places gangs would want to control to sell drugs I guess.

Yeah but to start a fight for control of them you'd have to luck into finding a group of 3 on that tiny little sliver of territory, kill them and then survive waves of dudes coming in an open area with no cover.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Yeah it was definitely lazy/unintended. Hanging around for ages waiting on a purple guy to spawn on that one slice of sidewalk was pretty annoying.

One of my funniest memories from a trip I took to Egypt was hearing the kids behind me talking to eachother on the flight home, including questions like "What is the best gun you've seen in real life" but the absoloute pinnacle for me was one kid asking the other if he has "GTA eye-vee", I laughed at first them silently face palmed when no-one corrected him.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah but to start a fight for control of them you'd have to luck into finding a group of 3 on that tiny little sliver of territory, kill them and then survive waves of dudes coming in an open area with no cover.

I think only CJ has to stand on the sliver while shooting gang members, the gang doesn't have to be on the sliver too. It was still goofy but wasn't too terrible once I found that out.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The Deadly Hume posted:

Getting wasted with Kate was one of the most horrifying things in the game.

Not as mind blowing as when Niko would casually mention the acts of genocide and suffering he saw in the wars when hanging with friends or even on dates.

Also, I do hope everyone sided with Dwayne, as I had enough West Coast Gangsta posturing in the previous game.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well if you didn't like that stuff wouldn't you shoot him? Playboy was the guy who was moving on. Of course he tells you to gently caress off after you do what he asked, the hypocrite.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SeanBeansShako posted:

Not as mind blowing as when Niko would casually mention the acts of genocide and suffering he saw in the wars when hanging with friends or even on dates.

Also, I do hope everyone sided with Dwayne, as I had enough West Coast Gangsta posturing in the previous game.

Of course I sided with Dwayne, you get a great safehouse and you get to call Dwayne in for backup.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Cliff Racer posted:

Well if you didn't like that stuff wouldn't you shoot him? Playboy was the guy who was moving on. Of course he tells you to gently caress off after you do what he asked, the hypocrite.

Playboy is pretty much the definition of a flip flopper. The moment Niko got introduced to this guy, please tell me we get to kill him was running inside my head. When a game introduces an obnoxious person who keeps trying to say how great he is he probably gets killed.

One time I actually killed Dwayne just to see what would happen. The fact that Dwayne didn't even put up a fight and took the bullet to his head, I pretty much went okay gently caress that reload the chapter and kill Playboy instead. Much more funnier seeing Playboy run like a bitch and cower in the corner once he's hosed.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

Playboy pretty much exists in his own fantasy world, his concept of moving on means puffing up and posturing hard.

Jesus so thats what Dwayne does? so depressingly :smith:.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I felt sorry for Dwayne but dude was such a bitch after you spare him. "Hey Nico, thanks for not shooting me. Want to go bowling? No? Oh, well I was thinking about killing myself anyways :smith:"

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

robot roll call posted:

I felt sorry for Dwayne but dude was such a bitch after you spare him. "Hey Nico, thanks for not shooting me. Want to go bowling? No? Oh, well I was thinking about killing myself anyways :smith:"

He was probably the only guy that guilt me into hanging out with him. I do like how Niko at one point in their conversations will tell Dwayne to stop being a little bitch about killing himself. Too bad it doesn't work though.

Oh well at least having a few of his goons to help you out helps. They are pretty helpful and useful meat shields. Heh.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The end of GTA IV, Niko and Dwayne sitting on a bench in the Liberty City Central Park looking sad at the ground.

Feeding diamonds to pigeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Shindragon posted:

He was probably the only guy that guilt me into hanging out with him. I do like how Niko at one point in their conversations will tell Dwayne to stop being a little bitch about killing himself. Too bad it doesn't work though.

Oh well at least having a few of his goons to help you out helps. They are pretty helpful and useful meat shields. Heh.

Plus the apartment is pretty swank.

edit: Playboy's, not Dwayne's. Obviously.

• Locked thread