Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

GhostBoy posted:

There is a fair amount of controversy surrounding Homeworld 2, especially in relation to how enemy fleets scale (meaning that you can build yourself into defeat, because the enemy strength is based on your fleet strength, leading to the paradox that missions can become easier the smaller your fleet is, and building up to max can scale the enemy into "unwinnably powerful" territory).

Play Homeworld 1 first would be my suggestion. I'd also consider giving Homeworld: Cataclysm a serious consideration. Both games have, from what I understand*, superior stories to HW2.

*I've not played 2, but I can vouch for the quality of HW1 and HW:C

I agree. Start with Homeworld. It's easily my favorite of all three games. The multiplayer alone is well worth three times the sticker price. There's also a lot of well-written lore that elaborates upon the backstory of the game, but I'm having trouble finding a .pdf of it online. It was kind of like a small novel. It was packaged with the original production run of the game; I'm sure I've still got it around here somewhere. If I can't find a digital copy, I'll try digging it up so I can scan and post it.

Cataclysm is surprisingly good but I'm not sure where you'd find it these days or how well it would run on a modern machine.

RE: Homeworld 2
As stated above, the game uses an adaptive difficulty system that tailors enemy fleets to your situation based on what you had at the end of the previous mission. So, when you know a mission is drawing to a close, sell your poo poo. The enemy fleet will be tiny at the start of the next mission and you'll have a shitton of cash you can use to build whatever you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I agree. Start with Homeworld. It's easily my favorite of all three games. The multiplayer alone is well worth three times the sticker price. There's also a lot of well-written lore that elaborates upon the backstory of the game, but I'm having trouble finding a .pdf of it online. It was kind of like a small novel. It was packaged with the original production run of the game; I'm sure I've still got it around here somewhere. If I can't find a digital copy, I'll try digging it up so I can scan and post it.

Cataclysm is surprisingly good but I'm not sure where you'd find it these days or how well it would run on a modern machine.

You'd have to hit amazon or somethingto get a copy these days. Sadly neither steam nor gog.com have the homeworld games.

TheMostFrench did a very good Let's Play of Cataclysm, where he also has scans of the manual from game 1. You'll probably need archives access to read it by now, but it's there.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

pigdog posted:

With the exception of feltrite crystals - those have another use as well.

Is it a one-time use, or do they have an ongoing use? I don't want to be hoarding crystals if I don't need to be past a quest or something.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
How about King Arthur: The Role-playing Wargame? Is the DLC worth it?

I've been on kind of a Total War kick, but I wanted something a bit more fantasy. I have also installed Third Age:Total War, I've heard good things about it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

_jink posted:

Should I play the original Homeworld before 2, or is the sequel superior in significant ways?

Homeworld 2 is fun in multiplayer and a great modding platform; unfortunately, the storyline, writing, mission design, mission balance, game stability, and difficulty auto-scaling are all poo poo. I regret playing it.

Homeworld 1 is, IMO, the best overall; Cataclysm has more of a horror B-movie feel and some gameplay annoyances, but this is balanced out by some fun toys and much-needed UI improvements like time compression.

quote:

I'm not sure where you'd find either these days (GOG has Sierra on board, maybe they'll have Homeworld someday?) but HW1 and Cata both run fine on win7 if you install the latest patch first.

Game-specific tips:

All
- The Homeworld Shipyards contains extremely detailed information on all of the ships in all of the Homeworld games.

Homeworld
- The choice of Kushan or Taiidan at the start is largely cosmetic, but the storyline assumes Kushan - Taiidan just lets you play through the campaign using the ship designs of the "bad guys".
- Ships in Homeworld tend to be fairly specialized. Bombers are great against capital ships but helpless against anything else, multi-gun corvettes will wreck strike craft but can't hurt anything larger, etc. Make sure you have a good mix of forces.
- The Mothership has a few weak cannons for defence, which means it can take out a scout but that's about it. It must be defended because it's basically completely helpless.
- Your stuff carries over between missions. After finishing a mission, take some time to harvest resources, finish research, and rebuild your fleet before you jump out.
- Salvage corvettes ("salvettes") are fantastic, because they can steal enemy ships. Distract an enemy frigate, destroyer or cruiser with something durable (or something with lots of targets, like a drone frigate) and then take it as your own! You can use this to get a head start on research, get ships not otherwise available, or just ignore the unit limit and jump into the final mission with 150+ ion beam frigates.
- Use the strategic map to keep an eye on what's going on throughout the mission. Use probes and proximity sensors to expand your view and keep an eye on enemy forces. Always have a few prox sensors guarding the mothership to detect cloaked ships.

Homeworld: Cataclysm
- HWC folds together a lot of HW1 ship roles - Acolytes replace both fighters and bombers, Somtaaw destroyers replace both normal and missile destroyers, etc.
- Resources are much less of a concern in Cataclysm, especially once you research crystal refining.
- Unlike the Mothership, the Kuun-Laun is actually fairly capable in combat and can be upgraded to the point of being surprisingly nasty.
- Rather than having per-ship-class unit caps, you have a global unit cap that different ships use up different amounts from. If this bothers you, it can be modded out fairly easily.

Homeworld 2
- The mod that would have ported HW1 to this engine was never finished. :(
- Better advice than all of the below: don't play HW2.
- Enemy ships scale up much faster than yours do. Try to keep your fleet small.
- Resources count for less than equivalent ships, so selling your fleet before the mission ends works as well (as long as the next mission gives you time to rebuild it). However...
- ...the mission ends the instant the last objective is complete, at which point it auto-harvests and jumps to the next mission with no chance for you to repair or rebuild. So do any fleet maintenance you need before you complete the last mission objective.
- Level 4 (Gehenna Outskirts) has two major issues:
(1) If you get completely wrecked by a huge enemy fleet 5-10 minutes after the mission starts, this is a known bug (the end-of-mission fleet magically aggros on your mothership as soon as the mission loads rather than once you hyperspace into them). Restart the mission (do not load a save game) and try again.
(2) Make sure you have your fleet fully built up before you destroy the last hyperspace inhibitor, because it will cutscene your ships right into a major battle.
- Other levels have similar (albeit usually not quite so nasty) gotchas where it takes control of your ships to do something stupid or bugs out and hits you much harder than it was meant to; consulting a walkthrough ahead of time can mitigate some of these.
- Seriously, just don't play Homeworld 2.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
In Nier, is there any point to fishing and doing the fishing sidequests?

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Centipeed posted:

Is it a one-time use, or do they have an ongoing use? I don't want to be hoarding crystals if I don't need to be past a quest or something.

There's a quest that requires 20 of them, but... I'm not even sure, maybe they are used in the booster potions later on - I never used those so I can't remember. Anyway, nothing wrong with hoarding them, there's plenty of money to go around as is.

Speaking of building turrets vs bots, I just realized the turrets are literally the same as the ones in Portal. While bots are pretty bad mofos who can even jump in enemies' face like headcrabs to melee them. :cool:

Oh yeah, a major major tip: save your game often, in different spots, while facing the ground or a wall and waiting a few seconds to let the graphics settle. At least on my system, the game has a very nasty habit of crashing while saving if there's a lot of stuff going on. Likewise hold still a couple of seconds before clicking a door or whatever that changes maps.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Vidaeus posted:

In Nier, is there any point to fishing and doing the fishing sidequests?

Not really, unless you like catching poo poo/trophy grinding

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Polite Tim posted:

Not really, unless you like catching poo poo/trophy grinding

That's a no and a no. Thanks.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Some stuff for UFO: Afterlight, since I'm playing it again.

- You can have multiple squads, but they all pool from the same set of weapons and gear, and you can't have multiple squads out at once since you only have a single UFO. This means you only need a maximum of seven of any given weapon, suit or equipment piece.

- Any given soldier can also be in multiple squads, so you could, for example, have two squads with the same members but different gear to make it easier to switch around for different enemies.

- Much like X-Com, you should never leave your factories idle, even though you can't sell things in this game. At the start, when you can't really make much, make some suit repair kits and dynamite, which will be very useful in later missions. If you ever have down time where you don't especially need to make anything, crank out ammunition - you can never have too much!

- Early research: projectile weapons are a LOT more versatile and a LOT easier to get up and running than lasers - you can make rifles after researching one tech, but to get to lasers you need to research about four techs, and capture some territories to get the somewhat rare materials needed to produce lasers. You don't have nearly enough ammo at the start to be able to hold off that long.

- That said, before researching Firearms you may want to research Military Training first of all. The sooner your guys get combat skills, the better.

- After that, try to get to Heavy Suits once it opens up. Heavy suits are larger, can't run or crouch, and require Minor and Major Suit Wearing training, but Beastman weapons will pound the living daylights out of you without them, and Beastman Alchemists fire grenades that will knock you down. They also look really cool.

- Speaking of grenades, Minor Stability is a good skill as it makes your guys less likely to fall over in the blast. Other good trainings include Minor Toughness for higher max HP, and Minor/Major Beastman Anatomy, since Beastmen are the most abundant and the strongest opposing faction. Major Toughness is a double-edged sword - while it prevents your guys from going unconscious when their green HP is gone, it means they're still a target for enemies until they're completely dead.

- The war may be the main focus of the game, but don't forget that the goal of your time on Mars is to terraform it! Research Terraforming fairly early on and get your science buggy out there planting terraforming stations sooner rather than later.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

_jink posted:

Should I play the original Homeworld before 2, or is the sequel superior in significant ways?

I haven't played Homeworld 2, but I tried Homeworld: Cataclysm and it was far inferior to the original Homeworld. One of the worst aspects was the voice acting - all the voice acting in the first one was very well done, all the pilots sounded very professional and serious, like people fighting for the survival of their species should. In Cataclysm, they all had perky Canadian accents that totally ruined the mood for me.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly
I just got the Penumbra games from a good deal online (FIVE BUCKS HERE).

Anything I should know before diving into these? I've not even heard of them before today but the little video I saw hooked me

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Space Cob posted:

The best way to play the game is to turn down the lights, put on some headphones and set the mood for a horror adventure. These games are really about immersion first and foremost. I don't really have any practical tips other than the "combat" is lame, and it's a lot more atmospheric to try to hide whenever possible than be a janky kung fu master.

Also if you haven't played it, Amnesia is the spiritual successor by the same developers and cranks the horror up to 11. If you find yourself digging Penumbra or you're just a fan of horror games, you gotta try Amnesia.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

_jink posted:

Homeworld 2 is great don't listen to the spergs. Try Homeworld first but if you don't like it you should still give 2 a shot.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Space Cob posted:

Anything I should know before diving into these? I've not even heard of them before today but the little video I saw hooked me

I would actually say it's worth killing the first type of enemy you meet, once you have a weapon of some sort. Hit them, they'll fall to the ground, but don't hit them again until they're back up again, because the animations are crappy and otherwise the hit won't register.

They're pretty rough indie games... Amnesia is much more polished, although it has less puzzles.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly
I did play a little bit last night.

I got killed by the very first thing I found (a wolf? I think), and I had to turn the game off because I was quite a bit scared.

Gonna play more tonight :cool: Gonna gently caress it up with a rock. no i'm not i'm going to cower in the corner

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Space Cob posted:

I did play a little bit last night.

I got killed by the very first thing I found (a wolf? I think), and I had to turn the game off because I was quite a bit scared.

Gonna play more tonight :cool: Gonna gently caress it up with a rock. no i'm not i'm going to cower in the corner

One more thing: when you play Penumbra 2, play it on hard difficulty. The enemies take way too long to kill you otherwise, and consequentially aren't very scary then.

LoveisOver
Aug 8, 2011
Me and some friends are getting into Diablo 2 (because why not) and we'd like to play together and work as a team and all that to have fun with this game. Seeing as how we are pretty much total beginners to Diablo 2 for all intents and purposes, can i please get some basic advice on starting out?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

LoveisOver posted:

Me and some friends are getting into Diablo 2 (because why not) and we'd like to play together and work as a team and all that to have fun with this game. Seeing as how we are pretty much total beginners to Diablo 2 for all intents and purposes, can i please get some basic advice on starting out?

What characters are you playing as?

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
The main thing to keep in mind about Diablo 2 is that once you pick a skill, you cannot respec it. Well, in the latest patch you can, once, and from there on once for every time you beat the game on highest difficulty. But that's still pretty bad, so be careful what skills you pick. Thankfully yhere are a LOT of FAQs about this game that at least give you some insight on which of the skills are good for any particular character/strategy you decide upon. http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/370600-diablo-ii-lord-of-destruction/faqs

Digital_Dogu
Apr 23, 2008

Rollersnake posted:

Anybody have any tips for Xenosaga? The in-game tutorial is really vague and unhelpful—for example, I still have no idea what the gently caress boosting is supposed to do or why I should use it. Also if anybody could alert me to any interesting permanently missable stuff with minimal spoilers, that would be nice.

Sorry if this sounds a bit complicated and/or I'm not explaining it right but...

...Boosting allows the character you boosted with (R1/R2 + face button that corrosponds with character's portrait) to cut in line in the turn order window (bottom-left corner of the screen) so long as that character has 1 or more (maximum of 3) in their boost bar (that little bar beneath the character's HP with a pink gauge that builds up). You can build up said pink gauge by attacking and damaging enemies or increase instantly by 1 level by using Shion's 'Boost1' ether (she has to learn it first though).

Boosting can be somewhat of a convenience AND a lifesaver (not so much in normal battles, but in boss fights most definitely). However something important to keep in mind is that enemies themselves are also privy to using boosts.

In terms of "Lost Forevers" in this game, I would have to say receiving some of e-mails which require you to be in a certain location at a certain time (might want to check an FAQ on those or something). Also MAKE SURE you download whatever attachment (if it has one) comes with said e-mails as soon as you receive it. They are time-sensitive I believe.

I hope this info is of some use to you.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

pigdog posted:

The main thing to keep in mind about Diablo 2 is that once you pick a skill, you cannot respec it. Well, in the latest patch you can, once, and from there on once for every time you beat the game on highest difficulty. But that's still pretty bad, so be careful what skills you pick. Thankfully yhere are a LOT of FAQs about this game that at least give you some insight on which of the skills are good for any particular character/strategy you decide upon. http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/370600-diablo-ii-lord-of-destruction/faqs

Related to this, while it may be tempting to put a point in every skill just to try them out, it is a terrible idea and will end in a useless character.

The game isn't too hard and you can reliably beat it on normal by just picking a group of skills you like and investing in them. Character builds become a lot more important once you replay the game on nightmare or hell and start encountering bosses that are immune to everything.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 28, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

LoveisOver posted:

For sorcerer the meteorb build is drat decent for just playing with friends/living off non-farmed gear.
Put points into Meteor and synergies and frozen orb.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Fruits of the sea posted:

Character builds become a lot more important once you replay the game on nightmare or hell and start encountering bosses that are immune to everything.

Yeah, the nasty thing to remember about nightmare/hell difficulty is that almost every enemy will have a resistance to some kind of elemental damage. This can easily gently caress over magic classes if you've pumped a single elemental tree to the exclusion of the others. Also, the closer you approach hell difficulty, the more important boosting your own resistance scores becomes. If you thought the static-field-spewing beetles in Act 2 were bad on normal, wait until you try them on nightmare or hell.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

al-azad posted:

There is one missable in Arkham Asylum and that's the Party Crasher achievement. At the end of the game you'll walk through a long corridor with 20 something thugs wearing party hats. They're not hostile but this is the only time to get the achievement by beating the poo poo out of them.

I kicked all their asses in a perfect, unbroken combo on hard mode. Best feeling in the game.

Wait, you could just walk past them!?
The only bit of the game I found hard was having to beat all those assholes in one go and I could have just walked past them....I'm a idiot

Combat-Jack
Jul 16, 2009

Less yap, more ZAP

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Wait, you could just walk past them!?
The only bit of the game I found hard was having to beat all those assholes in one go and I could have just walked past them....I'm a idiot

Man I loved this part. I walked down the hallway to those cheering idiots and looked about me. Like some justice dispensing God thought "No...no this shall not do." Without any provocation I proceeded to introduce fist to face for every guy in that hall and ended with one of my best combo chains in that game. One of the few times in a video game where I came out the other end just feeling all :clint:

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Combat-Jack posted:

Man I loved this part. I walked down the hallway to those cheering idiots and looked about me. Like some justice dispensing God thought "No...no this shall not do." Without any provocation I proceeded to introduce fist to face for every guy in that hall and ended with one of my best combo chains in that game. One of the few times in a video game where I came out the other end just feeling all :clint:

My private goal in both Arkham games has been to beat the hell out of everything living thing possible.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
If Batman doesn't leave every single simple hood, thug and punk crippled, in a coma, pissing blood for life or impotent then it's a pretty poor showing.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
In Nier, what does weapon weight do?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Vidaeus posted:

In Nier, what does weapon weight do?

Heavier weapons break through enemies' guard easier and are a little bit slower to swing. It's really not that important, just use whatever has the highest attack.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

VodeAndreas posted:

[Risen]

Went to the swamp first but think I'm going to try checking out the town before getting stuck in one path hopefully.

NOOOO YOU FOOL THERE IS NO QUICK WAY OUT OF THE TOWN Oh no this was two weeks ago there is no way to stop you now, I will just have to warn the others :(

Here is an innovative question for this thread: will there be enough previews/leaked beta impressions/whatever for Skyrim for us to piece together things we might want to know before starting before it comes out? Something akin to "avoiding going to Kvatch" in Oblivion, like "if you do not want to fight dragons, avoid the main quest" (which is indeed a real piece of advice already out there, and probably counts).

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
The 80's pop weekend on a local radio station made me really want to play GTA:Vice City [on the PS2]. Is there anything I should keep in mind vis-a-vis jankiness? Is there anything I should do or avoid doing in particular?

DrankSinatra fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 31, 2011

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
In Dead Island, what should I be selling, and what should I be hoarding? Is drinking the alcohol I find useful for anything, or does it only make my screen all wavy? Is there any way to stop UI elements like my rage-o-meter and health from automatically disappearing?

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Red Minjo posted:

In Dead Island, what should I be selling, and what should I be hoarding? Is drinking the alcohol I find useful for anything, or does it only make my screen all wavy? Is there any way to stop UI elements like my rage-o-meter and health from automatically disappearing?

Uh I haven't finished it but at the start it depends on what character you have as far as weapons go. If you are playing the black guy you want the blunt weapons and with him you want to hang onto stuff like nails. Basically anything that you think you can add to a heavy object to make it land harder. The asian chick is good with sharp weapons so anything that makes knives sharper I guess? Oh and you can electrify weapons so hang on to batteries. I think you should just generally hang onto the crafting components and I don't think those take up space.

There are quests to deliver water and alcahol to people. Were I you I would just sell or dump that stuff because it can be a long walk to some shack to get rid of it for a pittance in reward.

I can't really remember the ui going away so I don't know. Its been a few weeks and I got sucked into another thing though.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Red Minjo posted:

Only hoard alcohol if you're Logan, or if you use molotovs a lot. Hoard anything that's not a weapon; chances are you'll need it for an upgrade somewhere down the line (especially duct tape and wire, which seem to be used in just about all worthwhile recipes). Hang on to diamonds even if you don't want to make dev weapons, because you won't lose them if you die, and you can always sell them if you need money to buy stuff.

For your other question, though, I have no answer. Sorry.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Quarex posted:

Here is an innovative question for this thread: will there be enough previews/leaked beta impressions/whatever for Skyrim for us to piece together things we might want to know before starting before it comes out? Something akin to "avoiding going to Kvatch" in Oblivion, like "if you do not want to fight dragons, avoid the main quest" (which is indeed a real piece of advice already out there, and probably counts).

Honestly, this isn't a question that's even crossed my mind, because it's a Bethesda game, which means thing one you should know before you play it is "wait at least a year for it get patches for the most serious bugs and mods for the rest of the bugs and the most serious design flaws, of which there will be many".

And at that point, there will have been enough people who don't follow that advice that I'll also know what else (not) to do. :)

osigas
Mar 4, 2006

Then maybe you shouldn't be living here
Just got round to playing Fable 3, are there any broken mechanics that I should be aware of like making ridiculous money in the previous games?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

osigas posted:

Just got round to playing Fable 3, are there any broken mechanics that I should be aware of like making ridiculous money in the previous games?

Buy every building, leave game on overnight.

For Dead Island horde alcohol and turn them in for molotovs. You get XP, and molotovs! You can also turn in Canned Food, Water, and Champagnefor XP repeatedly.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Chinaman7000 posted:

Buy every building, leave game on overnight.

Also, you can repair them from the map, so you don't have to visit every single house to fix them all.

Make lots of friends, too. They'll give you gifts from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Also, you can repair them from the map, so you don't have to visit every single house to fix them all.

Only in the PC version, though.