Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Splinter posted:

I've used both an S4 an a MixTrack Pro, and I thought the MixTrack both looked and felt much cheaper than the S4. The MixTrack will work as advertised, but I don't think it's fair to say its quality is on par with an S2/S4.

Same alpha faders. Same alpha pots. Jog wheels that use capacitance instead of a switch. The S2/S4 have an air of quality due to fit and finish, but that is it. I'm not talking out of my rear end, as it is my job to know these things, nor am I saying that the S2/S4 are low quality (I'm not). I am however saying that, internally, they aren't far off....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Professorbx posted:

Same alpha faders. Same alpha pots. Jog wheels that use capacitance instead of a switch. The S2/S4 have an air of quality due to fit and finish, but that is it. I'm not talking out of my rear end, as it is my job to know these things, nor am I saying that the S2/S4 are low quality (I'm not). I am however saying that, internally, they aren't far off....

I guess I was under the wrong impression then and either NI is skimping on professional build quality or Numark is putting out products for a really really low price.

How would you compare them with Vestax' controllers?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Professorbx posted:

Jog wheels that use capacitance instead of a switch.

When you say switch, do you mean a pressure switch?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Dopo posted:

I didn't realize that the colors did anything without the color screen on the 2000s. I have the 900s and usually make playlists and sort by BPM.

It's certainly making things easier...!

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Got to try out a Mixtrack Pro today using Virtual DJ, and the scratch latency is hilariously bad. I'd say it's somewhere between 50 and 200 milliseconds behind, which renders the platters nearly useless. This was on a 2ghz dual core machine with 4gb of ram.

I've seen videos of some people scratching nicely on youtube which the Mixtrack Pro, which leads me to believe there are methods to reduce this latency. Is this where a Numark DJ IO or Native Instruments Audio 2 DJ would come in?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

epswing posted:

Got to try out a Mixtrack Pro today using Virtual DJ, and the scratch latency is hilariously bad. I'd say it's somewhere between 50 and 200 milliseconds behind, which renders the platters nearly useless. This was on a 2ghz dual core machine with 4gb of ram.

I've seen videos of some people scratching nicely on youtube which the Mixtrack Pro, which leads me to believe there are methods to reduce this latency. Is this where a Numark DJ IO or Native Instruments Audio 2 DJ would come in?

Audio interfaces make all the difference when it comes to latency, so that would be my guess

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

epswing posted:

Yes. In lieu of that, use ASIO4ALL drivers instead of the standard Windows ones, assuming you're on a PC. That should help at least a little bit.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Koesj posted:

I guess I was under the wrong impression then and either NI is skimping on professional build quality or Numark is putting out products for a really really low price.

How would you compare them with Vestax' controllers?

It is kind of neither-the market determines what the consumer will pay for a product from someone. As well, the S4/S2 come with full versions of Traktor 2, which raises the perceived value. The cost of the finish of the NI pieces is higher, but internally it is about equal.

As for Vestax, they make good stuff, but they also make some really really strange build decisions that I still have yet to understand. One that instantly springs to mind is the VCI-600. It has only half the pots nutted to the chassis. Why? Don't know, but that is how they roll.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Wikipedia Brown posted:

When you say switch, do you mean a pressure switch?

Yes. There are two ways that we do "touch" sensitivity for static jog wheels- capacitive and pressure sensitive. Capacitive is harder to get right without having a field above your jog wheels that you can stop the platter with by hovering your hand, but it is not something that will fail, ever. Pressure sensitive is basically a switch that sits in the middle of a foam pad with a plastic piece over. Nice thing is that it is not effected by ambient static. Bad thing is, it will wear out. Not if, when. The world is filled with broken Pioneer CDJ's that demonstrate this, and they actually spent a lot making a pretty rugged version.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Is anyone familiar with TouchOSC? I finally made the move to a smartphone and it was my first app purchase. Unfortunately I can't seem to get my MBP to 'see' the phone in MIDI Network Setup, and Google searching has been vague. Any ideas?

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
So I have two t-1200s and a vestax pmc 280 mixer what do I need to start recording some sweet vinyl mixes?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

TWSS posted:

So I have two t-1200s and a vestax pmc 280 mixer what do I need to start recording some sweet vinyl mixes?

Line out from your mixer to line in input on any recording capable device. If you use your computer, you can record with Audacity, which is free.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
I'm getting an S4 once my college applications are done. I'm so pumped. I just hope my computer will be able to handle everything (black macbook, 4 years old, runs like poo poo sometimes).

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

phractured posted:

I'm getting an S4 once my college applications are done. I'm so pumped. I just hope my computer will be able to handle everything (black macbook, 4 years old, runs like poo poo sometimes).

It actually might, oddly enough. Traktor 2.1 finally has dual core support, so it has become a little bit more efficient. Just upgrade to the max amount of ram your laptop can support (4gb), as it will help with the amount of audio that Traktor can cache at any given point.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

This may seem like sacrilege: have any of you made the move to DJing weddings? For next year I've gotten 3 serious offers that I'd be a fool to refuse. They are all "house-friendly" but I know there's a shitton of responsibility that comes with it aside from music.

(I have nothing against wedding djs, but it's not necessarily what I'd like to be doing even though it would pay 10x more (no hyperbole) than what I could make locally)

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

I've heard terrible things, and great things (easy way to make a fuckload of money). I never got into it even after being offered because I have had no desire to be on the receiving end of a angry bride for ruining her special day.

Although I did do a post wedding reception/honey moon once. One of their guests were so drunk that she put all of her weight on my speaker stand and the speaker fell on her and gave her a concussion.... she also took out my speaker. She threatened to sue me, luckily one guy (who was sympathetic to me) that was there was filming it and sent me the footage that showed that she was responsible. I sent her lawyer the footage showing it was her dumbass that did it, and then he stopped threatening to sue me.

After that, dealing with drunk idiots at night clubs didn't seem so bad.

goku im piss
Mar 18, 2005

Your mama was a snowblower

geeves posted:

This may seem like sacrilege: have any of you made the move to DJing weddings? For next year I've gotten 3 serious offers that I'd be a fool to refuse. They are all "house-friendly" but I know there's a shitton of responsibility that comes with it aside from music.

(I have nothing against wedding djs, but it's not necessarily what I'd like to be doing even though it would pay 10x more (no hyperbole) than what I could make locally)

I'm a Semi-Pro Mobile DJ, and i almost exclusively do weddings. What would you like to know?

Blueballs
Jul 15, 2003

Laser Vampire posted:

I'm a Semi-Pro Mobile DJ, and i almost exclusively do weddings. What would you like to know?

How often do you get blown by bridesmaids?

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

I dunno man, it's cool that you can get someone to pay you tons of money to play the funky chicken but the dudes behind the decks at events like this always look miserable.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Maguro posted:

I dunno man, it's cool that you can get someone to pay you tons of money to play the funky chicken but the dudes behind the decks at events like this always look miserable.

It seems like the sort of thing, like stripping, that you plan to do temporarily because the money's good. But then it turns out that the money's too good to stop doing it, and next thing you know you're 55 and the Electric Slide is echoing in your dreams.

I'm doing a transman's "becoming a man" bar mitzvah in January, but that's more of a spoof of mobile DJing than actual mobile DJing.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
It looks like the 1200s are officially dead. It only took a year for anyone to actually find the statement by Panasonic saying so.

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/8290308/index.html

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

keevo posted:

It looks like the 1200s are officially dead. It only took a year for anyone to actually find the statement by Panasonic saying so.

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/8290308/index.html

quote:

October 2010 - Panasonic will cease the production of its Technics-branded analogue turntables this Autumn.

Uh?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Since that statement, Panasonic has brought them back because of demand

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

JamesKPolk posted:

Since that statement, Panasonic has brought them back because of demand

No, they have not. Period. I really wish this would die. We can't keep our turntables in stock because dealers call Panasonic and beg, but get told the same thing-"We don't make them.". Unless Panasonic has been lying to everyone (name a chain) and they have this magic batch in stock, yes they are dead, and the last units rolled off the line in summer 2010.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I can understand a decision to reallocate development resources towards other products, but why would they halt production of a ubiquitous device? It's like a guaranteed revenue stream, why drop it?

(I guess everyone was asking this exact question last year, sorry I'm late.)

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
It's probably just a sign of the times. More and more people are going digital, and it's probably reached that point where they noticed their sales figures were dropping significantly to the point that it wasn't profitable to continue making them.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

The Dark Wind posted:

profitable

This is the key word right here. Yeah they would still sell if they kept making them but they wouldn't be moving enough units for it to make business sense

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

epswing posted:

I can understand a decision to reallocate development resources towards other products, but why would they halt production of a ubiquitous device? It's like a guaranteed revenue stream, why drop it?

(I guess everyone was asking this exact question last year, sorry I'm late.)

It isn't a good revenue stream for them anymore. They have massive material and tooling costs (total product of the 70's, built to hell), and a market that doesn't need to buy new if they want them, or even buy turntables if they DJ. They have not been making "good" money in years, and they were projecting way less in the future. As well, you might think that the thousands we as DJ's purchased per year was decent, but when you look at the numbers the rest of their products pull in, the 1200's were pennies.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Professorbx posted:

No, they have not. Period. I really wish this would die. We can't keep our turntables in stock because dealers call Panasonic and beg, but get told the same thing-"We don't make them.". Unless Panasonic has been lying to everyone (name a chain) and they have this magic batch in stock, yes they are dead, and the last units rolled off the line in summer 2010.

Never mind, I'm totally mistaken. I thought I had read that somewhere but it was just a rumor a friend heard. Glad I got my pair then!

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009
I'm going to give my pair of 1200s to my grandchildren with a serato SL8 box.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

THAT drat DOG posted:

I'm going to give my pair of 1200s to my grandchildren with a serato SL8 box. a shitload of vinyl

I fixed that for you, np :v:

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009

Sjoewe posted:

I fixed that for you, np :v:

You bet, hopefully I can have a nice little collection for my kids to mess with.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/18167632

Can anyone tell me what is going on with the CDJs in this here video? I know he must be using hot cues in Serato but I don't understand how they are endlessly looping. I haven't messed with CDJs enough to know what that trick is. He still nudges them and adjusts the pitch but they're both looping in what seems a 4 bar loop and I'm just :psyduck:

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
The trick is just to start buting it. Yes, it will completely bleed you dry financially, but the sense of exclusivity that you gain, more than makes that up for me. I've been de-traktoring myself for the past year, just using vinyl (plus live some cd's) and I must say I really like it so far. No more hassle with laptops and cables, love it. And more important spending much more time sorting out what to buy and what not to buy. I only buy 5-10 records a month, instead of 50+ digital tracks, so I make drat sure I really like them and by ordering only once a month (or you'll lose dime you own to postage) you have time enough to get to know your records. But the best thing for me is just looking at my growing stack of records and thinking: that's my collection. A laptop just didn't do that to me.

On the Serato thing: with your DVS on relative-mode you can just set and cue a loop while the cd keeps playing, while the rest of the cdj keeps working as if it was just playing a regular track.

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Oct 30, 2011

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Sjoewe posted:

But the best thing for me is just looking at my growing stack of records and thinking: that's my collection. A laptop just didn't do that to me.

Ugh, I wish I could start buying vinyl again. Thing is nowadays if you want to play vinyl somewhere, you have to bring your own decks. I usually play 7-8 hour sets at my current residency so a laptop is the only way to go for me.

I really wish NI would just up the loving game and make an all in one unit like stanton did just with a laptop sized screen and running traktor pro. Even if it was 2 grand, I'd be first in line to buy it.

I'd buy the stanton one, but it really looks too toyish for my taste, and that little rear end screen is kinda lame. If a friend had one I could borrow for a few weeks to see how I liked it, I might make the jump, but as-is, I dont have the money to drop on something I dont know will perform well.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Oh, please don't get me wrong, I'm not a anti-laptop evangelist, at all. I totally understand the pro's of using a laptop over vinyl, certainly when you have a solid residency. But I don't play that much gigs anymore, just about 6 gigs a year, so when I do I can bring my own decks or make sure the venue has solid SL's. Most of the times I play in my own radioshow which has a decent setup I can trust, so no trouble there, but I totally get you on the SL-thing. Just as a music lover I love buying vinyl and play trips to different stores across Europe. But I know vinyl is going to be a dead end eventually.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Old Man Pants posted:

Ugh, I wish I could start buying vinyl again. Thing is nowadays if you want to play vinyl somewhere, you have to bring your own decks. I usually play 7-8 hour sets at my current residency so a laptop is the only way to go for me.

I really wish NI would just up the loving game and make an all in one unit like stanton did just with a laptop sized screen and running traktor pro. Even if it was 2 grand, I'd be first in line to buy it.

I'd buy the stanton one, but it really looks too toyish for my taste, and that little rear end screen is kinda lame. If a friend had one I could borrow for a few weeks to see how I liked it, I might make the jump, but as-is, I dont have the money to drop on something I dont know will perform well.

I am the product manager for the SCS.4DJ, and I like to think it performs pretty well. Seriously though, if you have any questions ask, I helped make it.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Speaking of vinyl, I just got a sick deal on a pair of Numark TT-1s. Not Technics, I know, but I'm looking forward to learning to spin vinyl instead of being a purely digital DJ.

Now I just need some vinyl.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Chitin posted:

Speaking of vinyl, I just got a sick deal on a pair of Numark TT-1s. Not Technics, I know, but I'm looking forward to learning to spin vinyl instead of being a purely digital DJ.

Now I just need some vinyl.

Get Traktor Scratch/Serato, best of both worlds. Also, the TT-1's were a dope turntable for the day, congrats!

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

vanilla slimfast posted:

Audio interfaces make all the difference when it comes to latency, so that would be my guess

Bought an NI Audio 2, which brought the latency down to 4.7 ms, traktor says. Feels pretty good. Above what point is considered 'unacceptable', 10 ms? 20 ms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

epswing posted:

Bought an NI Audio 2, which brought the latency down to 4.7 ms, traktor says. Feels pretty good. Above what point is considered 'unacceptable', 10 ms? 20 ms?

Latency is tricky to define as "acceptable" or "unacceptable". You deal with input latency, output latency, and processing latency, which is increased with DVS use. 10ms is about where you can't feel it, 20ms can start to feel laggy, and so on. This is with a controller though, with DVS then you are dealing with decoding as well so that adds another 7ms on top of 3-5ms of processing latency.