Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friggin Joe
Dec 30, 2005
Title text is optional, but so compelling
http://www.amazon.com/Haynes-Techbook-Scooters-Automatic-Transmission/dp/B000GHJKJE

I just got this and it covers a hell of a lot, with some good model-specific info for 50-250cc scooters.
I definitely recommend one of these Haynes techbooks if you're someone that wants to maintain your own scooter or get a project fixer-upper.
Even if you don't have one of the models listed, it's got plenty of good general-purpose stuff in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinken
Aug 11, 2007
I picked up an 86 Elite 150d a while back. Day I brought it home -

The ride home was interesting. No blinkers, terrible tires and more than one of the panels was held on with duct tape. Duct tape spray painted blue of course, because nothing shows your determination never to fix something than painting over the tape you half-assed it together with. Starts on occasion at this point. Brake lights work but the housing is destroyed.

Deconstruction begins -

The starting problem couldn't have been easier to fix. There's a little cylinder with a rear brake switch under the floor boards. If that switch is adjusted too loose it wont make contact and the starter circuit won't complete. Twisted the cylinder a little tighter and boom, starts right up. Did some basic maintenance at this point but mechanically its been taken care of really well.

Stuff starts going back on -

I put some halogens on, but they're pretty overkill, the pop up headlight works fine. They jiggle like a motherfucker too.

Took the rear turn signals off, fixed the wiring, flipped them left to right and upside down and bolted them back on. I couldn't salvage the brake light so some trailer lights will have to do for now. New tires just got here but I have to find someone willing to put them on.

So far it's been a blast. It moves around pretty well, it's super comfortable and it gets about 80mpg. I've actually been riding my Ninja less since I got the Elite. The only big thing that's been bugging me is the exhaust. There's a hole in the muffler and it sounds ridiculous. I might just have a patch welded in, but does anyone make aftermarket exhausts for these things?

Friggin Joe
Dec 30, 2005
Every now and then a scooter will get attention from a stranger in a parking lot. That's cool.
What annoys me though, is the occasional closing comment along the lines of "it's good for around he block."

Your damned feet are good for around the block.
Scooters are good for commuting when all you gotta carry is you and a few small things.
"Scooter" apparently means toy to not take seriously regardless of your traveling requirements, size or displacement of the scooter, whereas even a 125cc Motorcycle is series bidniss.
Granted it is a toy, but a useful as hell toy. :P

I'd call inner-city travel on a 50cc or suburban commuting on a 125+cc smart, but wtf do I know.

Friggin Joe fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 10, 2011

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

In the U.S. at least, all two-wheeled vehicles are considered toys. Scooters just get the brunt of that generalization.

Motorcycles in general just are not taken seriously as transportation, which is sad.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Friggin Joe posted:

Every now and then a scooter will get attention from a stranger in a parking lot. That's cool.
What annoys me though, is the occasional closing comment along the lines of "it's good for around he block."

Scooters are good for commuting when all you gotta carry is you and a few small things.
"Scooter" apparently means toy to not take seriously regardless of your traveling requirements, size or displacement of the scooter, whereas even a 125cc Motorcycle is series bidniss.

I'd call inner-city travel on a 50cc or suburban commuting on a 125+cc smart, but wtf do I know.

This is honestly the most frustrating thing about scooter ownership.

Blinken
Aug 11, 2007

Friggin Joe posted:

That's a pretty silly thing to get bitter over. Stop caring if people in parking lots take you seriously and enjoy your scooter.

Friggin Joe
Dec 30, 2005

Blinken posted:

That's a pretty silly thing to get bitter over. Stop caring if people in parking lots take you seriously and enjoy your scooter.

I didn't say I was bitter. Nor do I care what they think of me.
Annoyance is only that, and it's mores that more people aren't open to the idea that it's a pretty sensible means of transportation.

I'll admit to bitterness over issues with gas, oil, ethanol and the like when I was driving my car though :)

Edit: I do not overlook that scootering is also a fun as hell hobby even if you don't make it your primary means of commuting. It's ~versatile~ :P

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Friggin Joe posted:

I have discovered a useful solution to this. Step 1: buy scooter. Step 2: take it on a goddamn road trip. Step 3: gently caress you buddy, this scoot has seen the world.

Also useful for when some weekend biker dentist on a Harley alludes to one of my Japanese bikes not being a "real bike".

naem
May 29, 2011

Phat_Albert posted:

In the U.S. at least, all two-wheeled vehicles are considered toys. Scooters just get the brunt of that generalization.

Motorcycles in general just are not taken seriously as transportation, which is sad.

Yeah I hate this attitude so much

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

This is honestly the most frustrating thing about scooter ownership.

This too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azKh0pO08-g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dont want to live in a world where a Honda Cub (or its clones) are not awesome.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I went to the scooter shop in town and one of the female techs there freaked out because I have a C70. gently caress the haters (and the slow speed of them, if I don't get rid of it I'm dropping a 140cc Lifan into it).

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
That commercial is as good as the beer it is advertising.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

M4rg4r1ne posted:

That commercial is as good as the beer it is advertising.

What beer? I see no beer in that clip.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
I just got my first scooter, it's a 50cc Lifan 7, sort of a lovely vespa knock-off. It's Chinese, and also used, but it was cheaper than gently caress and it runs well. Lifan is a legitimate auto company in China, so it's a little different than a lot of other Chinese scooters, but I'm pretty sure it uses the same engine and poo poo as the rest of them.

It can go about 45 mph, which is faster than I was expecting.

Yeah the more I've been riding it the more I've noticed that both the speedo and the fuel gauge are anywhere between sort of and really inaccurate.
VVVVVVVV

Modern Day Hercules fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 14, 2011

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Modern Day Hercules posted:

I just got my first scooter, it's a 50cc Lifan 7, sort of a lovely vespa knock-off. It's Chinese, and also used, but it was cheaper than gently caress and it runs well. Lifan is a legitimate auto company in China, so it's a little different than a lot of other Chinese scooters, but I'm pretty sure it uses the same engine and poo poo as the rest of them.

It can go about 45 mph, which is faster than I was expecting.

Welcome to scooters! I would certainly expect Lifan to be better than most of the other Chinese import brands. The 50cc in there almost certainly is the same used in all of them, the 50cc variant of the ubiquitous GY6 engine (which is 150cc, the 50cc has a different code but I can't remember).

The 45mph might be a little optimistic, I'd almost guarantee that speedo is off by 10%. It's like a rule with scooters, even nice ones.

Friggin Joe
Dec 30, 2005
With a Chinese scooter, used and runs well is a good sign.
Lifan aren't your run of the mill drop-shipped, zero care or support affair.

You probably won't have a carb that lasts 20 years and all that like some Honda but if the known issues with Chinese scoots as we've come to know them have been addressed by actual QC, you should do pretty well.

In other news:

This is far removed from the stylish Stella/Vespa class, but if you're more the maxi scooterist or like both scooter and motorcycle, this is quite the interesting development.
It's a 700cc scooter Honda is releasing, the 2012 Honda Integra. Google it.

I require some freeway, but normally 700cc's = instant DQ for me, because I like my gas mileage, but this thing supposedly gets 77 MPG. Wow, look what happens when some engineering is involved in 2 wheeler engines.
It's a twin cylinder, not the thumper and the damned thing gets a few mpg more than my 250.
It'll probably cost as much as a car though.
I somehow see this as appealing to... I don't know. Wanna-be bikers?
Me?
It's a cool machine, and I hope it works out so the industry knows there's a market for it. I would like to see what they could do in a 400-500cc variety hough.

Friggin Joe fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 15, 2011

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Except for the quoted gas mileage - if it hits that, that would be awesome - it's not really anything that unique. It's got a similar shape to the Scarabeo 500, and displacement near the Burgman 650.

Also: I love Hondas re-using of names. The Odyssey, now a minivan, was a gokart/buggy thing in the 1980s. Now the Integra, formerly an oft-stolen compact car, is a scooter.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Honda Passport

Honda Passport

Yes that was taken in Seattle.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Friggin Joe posted:

In other news:

Honda's designers have really dropped the ball lately.

Friggin Joe
Dec 30, 2005

open24hours posted:

I wasn't referring to aesthetics and design, the unique aspect is a 700cc motor getting 70+ mpg.
The mileage never really scaled conversely with displacement of motorcycle engines as compared to cars.
Bigger bikes don't get any better milage than some cars.

Also worth noting is they're also working on a 125cc motor with the same goal of increased efficiency.
I'm glad to see attention being given to this.

http://www.gizmag.com/honda-integra-700-twin-cylinder-superscooter/19945/

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Finally running again.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

How do you pronounce that? "CHAY-ull-ee" or "CHAW-lee"?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Like シャリィ I guess.

I say Cha(with a short A like in 'cat')-Lee but I don't know how it's supposed to be said.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

open24hours posted:

Finally running again.

HOT. AS. gently caress.

that pipe.... :allears:

Friggin Joe
Dec 30, 2005
That is cool as hell. Congrats on getting it running again, looks fun as hell.

Check this out.
http://future-motorcycles.com/2012-honda-motocompo/

This looks ridiculous at first glance then very cool if you read up on it or know the history of the thing.
This is probably what Honda's going to put a new 125cc engine into, which makes for a hilarious (means I must own one) visual as it can probably get on highways. I'm not sure if those are spots where lights are embedded on the front and rear. Maybe it's just too small to pass as a street legal vehicle in many places.

This is a bike meant to be picked up like a big suitcase and can be put into the back of even a smaller car.
The newer prototype is in the link above, but to give an idea, here's the original one:

If they're putting a 125cc engine in, I'm sure the newer model is going to be a bit larger, ultimately. The concept is still very appealing.
You could lift one up briefcase style and bring it into an apartment or workplace.

edit: Found a video of an older one on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wTnhyBBb_A

Friggin Joe fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 16, 2011

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I would be really surprised if they released that, and if they actually do I'd be surprised if it gets out of Japan. Honda seem to have some sort of aversion to releasing any of their cool bikes in the West.

The Motocompo is a pretty cool bike though

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

open24hours posted:

I dunno man, are there any big-engine scooters that don't look like tacky poo poo?

open24hours posted:

That is fly as gently caress

Friggin Joe
Dec 30, 2005

Little Blue Couch posted:

I dunno man, are there any big-engine scooters that don't look like tacky poo poo?

Yeah, plenty, but I guess that's in the eye of the beholder.
I've always liked the Scarabeo and People scooters of larger displacement.
I can see thinking Maxi scooters or the 'motorcycle' look-alikes being tacky. I don't agree, but I can see how one might consider them such.

I'd rather ride around on a Stella or Vespa if my location and requirements allowed for it, but I find the larger displacement scooters unique looking in their own right and a really nice middle ground for highway commuting on two wheels.
Sure, the term maxi scooter is like jumbo shrimp, but maybe I'm not stylish enough to consider that.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

Friggin Joe posted:

Yeah, plenty, but I guess that's in the eye of the beholder.
I've always liked the Scarabeo and People scooters of larger displacement.
I can see thinking Maxi scooters or the 'motorcycle' look-alikes being tacky. I don't agree, but I can see how one might consider them such.

I'd rather ride around on a Stella or Vespa if my location and requirements allowed for it, but I find the larger displacement scooters unique looking in their own right and a really nice middle ground for highway commuting on two wheels.
Sure, the term maxi scooter is like jumbo shrimp, but maybe I'm not stylish enough to consider that.

You're actually right about those Scarabeos, but I think the Peoples have that same plasticky toy-motorcycle look that I just don't get.

Friggin Joe
Dec 30, 2005
Well there you have it.
If I could ride a 1/8th scale Tonka Truck to work I would for the sheer novelty.
Toy doesn't lose points for me :P

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Little Blue Couch posted:

There are plenty of 250's that look good (imo), Honda Forza, Yamaha Maxam, Suzuki Gemma...

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

open24hours posted:

There are plenty of 250's that look good (imo), Honda Forza, Yamaha Maxam, Suzuki Gemma...

... none of which we get in the USA. :( The Gemma looks awesome, and the Maxam looks like a cartoon edition of the Morphous, which is awesome.

We used to get the Morphous and the Big Ruckus, both 250cc, both unique-looking and rad. The Piaggio MP3 500 is probably the coolest looking maxi we get - in an ugly, Mad Max sort of way - followed by the TMAX.

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 21, 2011

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I actually rather like the way the MP3 500 looks, though I'm not a fan of the smaller MP3 styles. The 500 isn't as nimble as I'd like, but it is a lot of fun. I've seen a Helix or two around here over the years, but have never been in a position to buy one. The Big Ruckus, though, that one I dream of owning. I dream.

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS

Mushika posted:

I actually rather like the way the MP3 500 looks, though I'm not a fan of the smaller MP3 styles. The 500 isn't as nimble as I'd like, but it is a lot of fun. I've seen a Helix or two around here over the years, but have never been in a position to buy one. The Big Ruckus, though, that one I dream of owning. I dream.

Old men ove the styling of my mp3 400. I've been followed home 5 times, eveytime ET want to know where to get a grandpa-mobile like mine.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Are low/high sides still something that ever happens on the MP3s? It seems like going through a corner full tilt in the rain could still cause it to lose grip and slide out from under you.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

hayden. posted:

Are low/high sides still something that ever happens on the MP3s? It seems like going through a corner full tilt in the rain could still cause it to lose grip and slide out from under you.

While you're probably less likely to lose the front (especially since lean angle is limited by the parallelogram front suspension, but mostly the extra weight + 2x traction) I bet you're still just as likely to lose the rear.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Anyone see that Kymco has a 700 cc scooter coming out?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What happens if you lean an mp3 over far enough to lift the outside wheel? Is that even possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Phat_Albert posted:

What happens if you lean an mp3 over far enough to lift the outside wheel? Is that even possible?

My guess is it starts understeering/pushing the front as the scoot doesn't enough traction once the second wheel goes away, so it pushes until the second wheel touches down again, regains traction, and basically just understeers like crazy.