Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Well, i know first tier management, including my supervisor, had 2 full 10 hour days worth of training, and they attend the training we get too. Hopefully that'll be enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOMI
Sep 21, 2005
That system sounds horrifying.

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.
I love the Cisco Voice/ Phone gear with leathery type headsets. I've found that if you speak slowly to a tempo and over enunciate every loving word that the customers who actually know English will end up spending fifteen seconds at the end of the call complimenting you on your crystal clear delivery. My response is usually that it's taken years of concentration to not just dive through the telephone with fists flying.

The translator hotline we have is only $74 a year and it covers over six languages 24/7. I told my supervisor that I'm going to get myself an account simply for hitting on foreign babes. *THUMBS UP*

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm surprised they make some of you clean up after yourselves (speaking of first world problems...), surely it's cheaper to hire someone for minimum wage to clean up than it is have a bunch of employees spend their time washing dishes?
At my call center, nobody is washing dishes on the clock. It doesn't cost the company money. It's all on breaks or lunches because we're in auto-in all the time, or we bring our dirty dishes home and wash them there. Again, my culture doesn't have shared dishes at all. Nobody leaves anything in the kitchen. It's shared by too many people, frankly.

Besides, the cost of employing a whole new person is generally more than just their salary. There's life insurance, health insurance, or if those aren't offered than they at least have to offer FMLA/disability/work comp coverage in case they get hurt. etc

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
No shared dishes at my job, everything is disposable or bring it in/take it home.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

KOMI posted:

Someone else said it in this thread, but it really is amazing how much more bearable your job becomes once you stop giving a poo poo. When I started, I used to go out on a limb for any customer I could because that's just my nature, but after so many thousands of callers telling me I was worthless I just stopped caring.

Now, if what you're asking me to do is indeed doable, sure, I will do it for you. That is the extent of my support. I now stick to the book 100% and I don't care if it is not what you asked for, it's our company policy and like I give a poo poo if you disagree with it.

Yeah, pretty much, although I will go a bit out of my way for customers who are nice.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

It doesn't work.

Nope, no it doesn't. Folks who just want to scream usually just tell me "Well, obviously YOU can't help me" or "I DUNNO, WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO TO FIX THIS?!"

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm surprised they make some of you clean up after yourselves (speaking of first world problems...), surely it's cheaper to hire someone for minimum wage to clean up than it is have a bunch of employees spend their time washing dishes?

With the call centers I've been in, it's cheapest for HR to just print out, laminate and tack to the wall a sign that reads "Your mother does not work here!!! Please clean up after yourself!!!"

I've never been in a place where anybody particularly cared if you washed your own dishes on your break time. It's interesting to hear about the differences in work culture.

Lauren
Apr 13, 2002
The fucking whipshit of all fucking shitter-bongers

mobby_6kl posted:

A bit late, but all the kitchen talk is pretty interesting/amusing. The dishes and cutlery is available for employees to use, and most people just return the dirty dishes to the kitchen. Everything then gets cleaned up by the cleaning staff, though sometimes if it doesn't happen on time and it looks like this:

That looks like a garbage house. :(

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

legsarerequired posted:

Nope, no it doesn't. Folks who just want to scream usually just tell me "Well, obviously YOU can't help me" or "I DUNNO, WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO TO FIX THIS?!"

1) Let them vent for few.

2) "Ok I see, right, what do you need me to do to fix this?"

Worked fine for me back in the day for a few times I couldn't actually understand what the gently caress they wanted.

Most of the time when some one is venting its pretty clear why, especially once you've worked somewhere a while its always the same few things that crop up. So you can either sort it or you can't, In which case its, "ok so you need document X, do you want me to email, fax or post it you" or "Sorry nothing I can do there, if you want to complain, heres how you get in touch with our complaints department"

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

1) Let them vent for few.

2) "Ok I see, right, what do you need me to do to fix this?"

Worked fine for me back in the day for a few times I couldn't actually understand what the gently caress they wanted.

Most of the time when some one is venting its pretty clear why, especially once you've worked somewhere a while its always the same few things that crop up. So you can either sort it or you can't, In which case its, "ok so you need document X, do you want me to email, fax or post it you" or "Sorry nothing I can do there, if you want to complain, heres how you get in touch with our complaints department"

I guess it would make things easier if you have a complaints department (although that's gotta be the worst job on earth, or at least up there with retention).

Here's one I am sick of hearing: "Your competitors never had trouble accepting payments on my credit card!" Oh, shut the gently caress up. Like any company would choose to decline your CC and not take a payment from you if it were up to them.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 21, 2011

gomababe
Oct 5, 2008
Ok, so it looks like I'll be re-joining you guys pretty soon. I start a new job as a Caseowner with a large bank today. It honestly can't be any worse than the last job though, when things got bad there, it tended to be really drat bad {like bomb threats, yay}.

I'm guessing I'll be training for at least a couple of weeks to start with, so I might be a while before I'm posting any stories, but you can bet they're coming at some point.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

mobby_6kl posted:

A bit late, but all the kitchen talk is pretty interesting/amusing. The dishes and cutlery is available for employees to use, and most people just return the dirty dishes to the kitchen. Everything then gets cleaned up by the cleaning staff, though sometimes if it doesn't happen on time and it looks like this:

That's what it looks like when it hasn't been cleaned yet? But there isn't coffee all over the bench and floor... there's no spilled milk... the cups and glasses are sitting on the bench, not piled haphazardly in the sink... there isn't a roll of paper towel lying in a puddle that, if you're lucky, is probably just water...

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Sometimes, I become sad for people.

I was unlocking an account for this incredibly depressed sounding kid while his mom screamed in the background that HE WOULD BE A PRE-MED MAJOR BY GOD. I hope he breaks free and finds his own way.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Spent 2 hours off phones time (manager auth) making a scarecrow saturday. Sometimes the job Ain't Too Bad.

Of course, tomorrow we'll be blood red from 7AM until I leave, but hey.

I love how the majority of people think everything is M-F 9AM-5PM. If they spread their calls to late nights and weekends, we'd have such more tolerable call volume levels.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Yesterday I got shouted at by a customer because I wouldn't help him set up his networked printer. :stare:

Because Tier 1 ISP support means we're totally qualified and willing to assist with printer problems, right?! :suicide:

Lauren
Apr 13, 2002

froglet posted:

Yesterday I got shouted at by a customer because I wouldn't help him set up his networked printer. :stare:

Because Tier 1 ISP support means we're totally qualified and willing to assist with printer problems, right?! :suicide:

:ssj: "This is a :siren:BUSINESS ACCOUNT:siren: mmmkay? I will take :siren:MY BUSINESS:siren: elsewhere, you unprofessional sack of poo poo!"

:rolleyes: *looks and it's an individual account with only three lines of service and they're getting a postal employee discount or some poo poo*

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Loving Life Partner posted:

Spent 2 hours off phones time (manager auth) making a scarecrow saturday. Sometimes the job Ain't Too Bad.

Of course, tomorrow we'll be blood red from 7AM until I leave, but hey.

I love how the majority of people think everything is M-F 9AM-5PM. If they spread their calls to late nights and weekends, we'd have such more tolerable call volume levels.

What's interesting is what happens when you change your operating hours. Basically the customers that leave it to the last minute will do so regardless of when that is - so push back your close time from 6pm to 7pm and the same people will ring at 6.55pm as used to ring at 5.55pm. From a staff efficiency point of view you actually DO want everyone calling 9-5 Monday to Friday because then you can shut the rest of the time and lose those low occupancy times of day from the equation.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Does anyone else's center or company have problems when it comes to promoting or shifting people to different departments? Specifically in the amount of time it takes?

I applied for a position in the billing unit of the company I work for and it took about 5 weeks to get an interview. That first interview was 7 weeks ago and no one who interviewed has gotten a 2nd one yet but all of our applications are rated as 'Still pending'. Just wondering if anyone else has waited 4+ months to find out if they got a new position or not.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BlackIronHeart posted:

Does anyone else's center or company have problems when it comes to promoting or shifting people to different departments? Specifically in the amount of time it takes?

I applied for a position in the billing unit of the company I work for and it took about 5 weeks to get an interview. That first interview was 7 weeks ago and no one who interviewed has gotten a 2nd one yet but all of our applications are rated as 'Still pending'. Just wondering if anyone else has waited 4+ months to find out if they got a new position or not.

Saw a position post in October, didn't get hired until May.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

BlackIronHeart posted:

My job promotes people fairly easily, but then delays required training forever, to the point I was on tier 2 without access to some essential tools. I got to go to all the upper level meetings, had access to most cool things, but actual training to fill in my knowledge gaps is still pending.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Oh, customers, you make me weep.

:rant: I don't know what your problem is but it is ridiculous that someone has to ASK you to [do a thing] instead of being able to do it themselves. FIX [unrelated problem] so I can do a thing. You need to FIX this so I CAN do this myself.

:shobon: Dear Angry, the [unrelated service] doesn't allow you to [do a thing]. If you forward me your account password and the details I will [do a thing] for you. At this stage it is not possible for you to do a thing yourself, and I am not aware of any plans to change this, however I can forward this as feedback to management.

:ssj: For the love of GOD, is it THAT hard? FIX [unrelated problem], SERIOUSLY, it's NOT that hard. Your unrelated service DOES do what I need. Get OFF your TAIL ENDS!!!!!!!!!!! My GOD, I swear you are all incompetent and clueless.

I just checked the history, at some point between his first email and my response he called and spoke to an agent - who told him the exact same thing - and he went off his gourd and hung up on him too. You'd think that after the second time you'd been told that 'unrelated problem' won't help him 'do a thing' by separate staff you'd accept you were wrong. I sympathise with the problem, there is a bug with [unrelated] and customers should be able to do [do a thing] IMO, it was shut off because people were messing with it when they didn't know what they were doing which caused more support problems than just doing it ourselves. That's why I responded in the first place and offered to forward the feedback, even though I knew that alternative caps bullshit meant he was going to be trouble. Some people just don't want to be helped.

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

Kat Delacour posted:

Some people just don't want to be helped.

This statement encapsulates customer service beautifully.

I have someone who sits by me who had probably the best excuse ever for not paying her loans. Apparently she had just been married 6 weeks ago and since then, had been giving her money to pay bills to her husband so that he could take care of it. He didn't. What did he spend the money on?

Prostitution.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
I volunteer for every single focus group and office project that comes my way, and as a result I get at least one hour off the phone each week. I'll get about 3-5 hours off on a good week. I'm also interviewing for promotions, so that also takes out extra time. This week so far, I was only on the phone for about 18 hours out of three days!

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker

ZeroDays posted:

My coffee jar gets used by unknowns in the day shift (it's somewhere where it very obviously isn't communal) but I don't give a poo poo and just accept it as an amusing, drama-inducing part of office life.

I retract my above comment. My newly bought coffee jar went from full to three-quarters empty in two nights. Popular brand? :confused: gently caress that poo poo, it's staying in my bag from now on.

Benzoyl Peroxide
Jun 6, 2007

[C6H5C(O)]2O2
We all have our limits I guess

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Yeah, the casual theft of our team property is kinda bemusing.

We stock ourselves up on plates/napkins/plasticware for potlucks and breakfast gatherings, and they invariably vanish faster than we use them.

Also, we have a team candy bowl for Halloween, I stocked it with 3 bags of good stuff chocolate and it was wiped out after the first day we all had off.

loving office vultures.

EDIT:
And we wouldn't care if people would just ASK!

Fizzle
Dec 14, 2006
ZOMG, Where'd my old account go?!?
A guy that sits near me resigned today... I have never felt more jealousy in my life..

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

People are so piggy about things, it's amazing. A friend once brought in a large container of corn nuts and invited people to help themselves. Most of us grabbed a small handful, but there was That Guy who kept going over and scooping up large handfuls, and continued until the container was empty. She never brought anything in again. :( Another time someone went to the trouble of making little treat bags for Halloween or some other candyriffic holiday. There were a bunch of little bags with a variety of candy in them, on the supervisor's desk, ready to hand out...and someone swiped ALL of them. gently caress!

Also, our cafeteria used to have a milk dispenser for adding milk to tea and coffee, similar to this:

The company which ran the catering for the caf eventually removed the machine, so that people would have to ask the cashier for x amount of creams or milks in the little disposable tubs. It turns out that people would just put their cup under the dispenser and fill it with milk for a free serving of milk. Awesome! So a friend of mine began bringing his own glass bottle of milk. He put his name on it and wrapped it in a bag and put it in another bag. I mean, you really had to work to get at this thing, and yet he was still finding the milk level dropping too fast. We suggested putting lurid food colouring (like yellow or green) into it and that helped a little but someone was still helping themselves. Then one day he got lucky and was at the fridge when some woman reached in, unwrapped his bottle, and began to help herself. When he pointed out that it was HIS loving milk, she was very indignant and seemed to imply that since milk was now doled out by the cashiers as if it were on prescription, what was she supposed to do? I cannot fathom that reaction. The caf also closed on weekends (there were vending machines and microwaves, and of course you could sit in there; you just couldn't buy anything unless it was out of a machine). Naturally, the caf people would not put out baskets of plastic cutlery, salt, etc. when they weren't selling or making anything, and people would persistently whine about this even after the management quite rightly pointed out that the caterers had no obligation to provide these little extras to help people eat food that was not purchased from said caterers. I know that when they *did* leave them out, it wasn't uncommon to come in on a Saturday morning and find all the cutlery deliberately broken in half, napkin dispensers emptied, all the salt packets cut open and tipped onto a countertop, and so on. People would also routinely steal tupperware containers, probably not for the sake of the 80 cents worth of tuna salad I'd brought but just to have the containers, I guess.

Oh, and I totally don't understand people who bring in those insulated and heavily padded lunch containers and then PUT THEM IN THE FRIDGE. These things are thicker than a Canadian winter coat; how is the cold from the fridge magically going to get inside to help keep the food fresh?

We could have beverages on the floor if they were in a spillproof container like a travel mug or screwtop bottle; one day someone accidentally knocked over one such mug which had been left on a desk. The top came off and a bunch of mouldy liquid oozed out. I was sitting a couple of rows away and suddenly everyone around me was wondering who'd crapped their pants.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

It's posts like the one above that make me so glad I work in a different building in our complex than the call centres these days. The fact you need a special pass to get into both each building and each office in the building is good too, I'd say only about 20~ people can actually get into my office (not including cleaners\senior management).

Also, apparently, the women's toilets in our building are revolting. Of those 20 people, maybe 5 are guys, our toilets are always spotless, a pleasure to visit. Seriously, I live in a rather lax shared house, the toilets at work are nicer than the ones at home. But the horror stories I hear about the women's makes me gag. I don't get it. Its very blatantly one of about 18 people (one of the 15 from our office or one of the 3 lawyers that works in the office across the hall), you'd think given the risk of people finding out its you, you're the one that apparently shits so violently it lifts you off the seat like some kind of faecal rocket and sprays you around the room like a deflating balloon would give cause for thought. But no.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

It's posts like the one above that make me so glad I work in a different building in our complex than the call centres these days. The fact you need a special pass to get into both each building and each office in the building is good too, I'd say only about 20~ people can actually get into my office (not including cleaners\senior management).

Also, apparently, the women's toilets in our building are revolting. Of those 20 people, maybe 5 are guys, our toilets are always spotless, a pleasure to visit. Seriously, I live in a rather lax shared house, the toilets at work are nicer than the ones at home. But the horror stories I hear about the women's makes me gag. I don't get it. Its very blatantly one of about 18 people (one of the 15 from our office or one of the 3 lawyers that works in the office across the hall), you'd think given the risk of people finding out its you, you're the one that apparently shits so violently it lifts you off the seat like some kind of faecal rocket and sprays you around the room like a deflating balloon would give cause for thought. But no.

That isn't just your bathroom, that is every places. My manager actually had a meeting about it here, and stated at the 5+ places he managed, it's always the same. Girls are terrible at using the bathroom I guess, while guys are ok at it. Pretty much the opposite of what goes on outside a bathroom.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
I used to answer phones in our facilities department in the late afternoon, so the guys could go out and do facilities stuff instead of sitting on the phone; rarely did I get a call about the men's room, but pretty regularly there were... issues, in the women's bathroom.

Usually messy ones.

In a staff-only restroom - the clients had no access.

Call-center cans, I didn't see anything too bad. Although I guess someone thought the "NFL" grafitti was for football, since they didn't clean it away until it got accompanied by "Norteno For Life" and other gang-related material.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
There used to be regular emails at my place from various managers (most of the senior ones were women at the time) saying that whoever had made that mess in the toilets had drat well better go and clean it up - nowadays the entire senior management is male, and the emails have stopped. So either all the disgusting women have left or no-one high up gives a poo poo any more.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Harminoff posted:

That isn't just your bathroom, that is every places. My manager actually had a meeting about it here, and stated at the 5+ places he managed, it's always the same. Girls are terrible at using the bathroom I guess, while guys are ok at it. Pretty much the opposite of what goes on outside a bathroom.

When I last went through a stint of unemployment, I attended a community college. The ladies room had signs on the doors with a diagram that basically said "western toilets should be sat on, not squatted on" - I'm assuming because of the large international student population. I'll dig up pics of the sign at some point.

Lauren
Apr 13, 2002
I have seen a puddle of blood containing three peanuts on the floor of the women's room. No poop or anything, just the peanuts in the bloodpuddle. What in the gently caress? :barf:

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

froglet posted:

I'm Tier 3 for our ISP and we don't do that.

I've only been working here a few months and I've already had threats of the company being sued because of me, service disconnects and whatall. Most of the time I can calm irate customers down and fix their issues. probably 75% of pissed off customers I get are because Tier 1 or sales lied to them about what they're getting, or somehow royally hosed their account.

Then I get calls like this:

Me: Thank you for calling, how can I help you?
Them: I want you to fix my loving modem. Your service is so loving terrible I've called in so many times about this. *checks account records, no notes for 3 months*
Me: I apologize for the inconvenience, <account verification between us here>
Me: Okay, in your words what is going on?
Them: 10 minutes of bitching about how terrible our service is without actually saying what the problem is. While this is going on, I see that their router isn't showing up in our equipment.
Me: Okay, I looked at the equipment through our tools, and I see that your router..
Them: IT IS NOT MY loving ROUTER, IT'S YOUR GODDAMN STUPID SERVICE WHY THE gently caress ARE YOU SO GODDAMN STUPID.

At this point it's back and forth just trying to get him to unplug his poo poo, he says he did, lots of cussing, him not doing a drat thing. He finally comes off with this.

Them: Can you even fix my loving service, or are you just too stupid? I'm just going to go to another company so note the account so I don't have to pay the disconnection fee.
Me: No sir, I cannot fix your problem because you refuse to do basic troubleshooting so I can see where the problem is. There is no fee to disconnect your service, so I'll go ahead and get you over to our Retention department to take care of that for you now. Thank you for calling *hold**transfer*.

Afterward I found out it's policy that if they curse at us, we can warn them 3 times then disconnect the call, and if they threaten us we can disconnect the call immediately.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I need to get out. Need to. My sales team is at half size before the busiest month of the year. The sales goals are going to be nearly half a million dollars, there's about 7 of us working full time with some part-time reinforcements that will only be covering the easy calls. Plus, there's 3 managers out of the 8 we had at the beginning of October. gently caress gently caress gently caress. I might do well because I'm really fast on the phones but that gets really draining really fast.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
I just checked my numbers for the month and I've been taking way too much personal time. I'm just so burned out.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Our calls analyst left earlier this month and just got replaced.

New dude didn't believe us when we said we actually keep our own stats in terms of calls converted to clients. We've been told not to make outbound calls for the last 30 minutes of our shift so that we can be out the door right at 9 and not risk OT.

What else are we supposed to do over that last 30 minutes than check our stats? I've got a nice color-coded excel spreadsheet with all my stats.

I'm seriously considering asking what sort of shithole he came from, because he knows his poo poo, but can't believe that all of us are the employees that we are-we're fairly middle of the road, really, but we seem to be seriously impressing him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Apple support. If a customer is having issues with their appleid, they have to get it fixed at appleid.apple.com.

"Okay, you'll have to go to appleid.apple.com for that issue."
"Oh, so I type in appleidapple.com..."
"It's appleid.apple.com."
"Oh, so appleidatt.com..."
"Appleid, dot apple, dot com. There's two dots."
"Oh, so apple.id.apple.com..."
"Appleid.apple.com"
"Appleeid.apple.com?"

That call should have been 4 minutes long, and it lasted 20 because the caller could not enter the right URL. :smithicide:

The best part? It wasn't even an appleid issue, they were trying to enter in the name for their mobilemeaccount (@me.com) and entering in their full email address (which would have made it whatever@whatever.com@me.com)