Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

berzerkmonkey posted:

If I am going to buy a phone off of Craigslist, how do I confirm that the ESN is clean? Do I call Sprint with the phone info under the battery?

Yes, or have the seller bring it to you at a Sprint store where they can scan the ESN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeus
Dec 6, 2005
COPS NEVER LIE
*slurp* *slurrrrp* mmmm cop cock oh God so good in my mouth like this
Its time for me to get a new cell phone and I've determined Sprint is best for me. I've never had a good cell phone and have been looking at the 4S, Photon, and 3D. From what I understand the 4S is awesome, but the main difference between that and that and the others is Siri. If I'm looking to do things like watch justin.tv, youtube, and gently caress around on the internet while at work, will I see a noticeable difference on any of these devices. I'm only drawn to the 4S because its the newest(and siri I guess) .

I'm in Northwest Indiana near Chicago if that matters.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
Well as others have pointed out the difference is $100 and you get 8GB more storage so over the life of your contract that's pretty small. The 4S has the faster processor and graphics which might matter if you play games on it at all.

But for general internet browsing and basic phone use, the 4 and 4S are pretty similar.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
It isn't just Siri that the iPhone has over the Photon and 3D. iOS itself is just a very well polished user experience compared to Android. Android on the other hand supports flash natively and allows you to do literally whatever the gently caress you want with your phone. I'm not speaking figuratively.

As far as Justin.TV goes I'm going to guess that site is flash only? You'll want an Android device for that unless you want to spend like $5 for an app that essentially streams the website to you so you can watch flash content. It works but it isn't as great as you want it to be.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Are iPhones still suffering from abnormally-poo poo speeds on Sprint? That could be part of the decision here.

It's a tough call. iOS is great itself, but an Evo 3D or Photon are both perfectly serviceable devices. If you're into iTunes go iOS, if you're into Google's ecosystem go with Android. I still think that the out-of-the-box Google Navigation on Android is drat slick and the free MapQuest equivalent on iOS isn't as good.

Generally speaking, iOS has more/better paid apps. If you don't mind throwing up to $5-10 for a riff-raff app, it's not a bad way to go. On the other hand, as mentioned, you sometimes have to throw $5-10 at a specialized app to get the same content that'd be available via Flash on Android. The app is probably slicker though. This goes double for iPad stuff, but that's another thread.

Edit: Near Chicago, WiMAX support might be important. Sprint's 3G network has been lovely recently in a bunch of markets. If it turns out you lie in Chicago's 4G/WiMAX footprint, it may well worth be having. I've had no complaints about WiMAX service when I've used it in Chicago proper, works great in hotels, cafes, etc. But it has the usual building-penetration issue if you're trying to use it in an interior room of a first story house or concrete bunker or something.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 28, 2011

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yeah, I was gonna say if you go iPhone 4S you give up 4G capability.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/10/28/the-carrier-crackdown-continues-sprint-now-blocking-tethering-apps-in-the-android-market/

Sprint's blocked tethering apps on the Android Market like Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T.

Sideloading them still works though.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
I'm surprised that it took this long.

I know that they were going to start cracking down on people that won't cough up the cash to pay for tethering. I'm glad to hear it, some of us are willing to pay for what we use.

In other news, I want all you drat kids to get off my lawn.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Kynetx posted:

I know that they were going to start cracking down on people that won't cough up the cash to pay for tethering. I'm glad to hear it, some of us are willing to pay for what we use.

This statement is 100% bullshit. I pay for unlimited data. Data is data, regardless of what device is using it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Ozmodiar posted:

This statement is 100% bullshit. I pay for unlimited data. Data is data, regardless of what device is using it.

Not to defend them too much, but if you pay for unlimited calling does that mean you should get unlimited calling on multiple cell phones at once?

Just root and be done with it, no US carrier will be free Tether friendly.

Raised by Hamsters posted:

I'm wondering that myself. Also, am I understanding the popup blurb on Sprint's site correctly, that we could sign a new 2-year with only some lines selecting a new phone, and the remaining lines would retain their upgrade credit for later use?

Each line is its own contract so you can upgrade done now, some later. And if you buy something off craigslist it does not affect or extend your contract.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 28, 2011

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Ozmodiar posted:

While I have no moral problem with free tethering a limited amount (I did it myself on my old phone with my iPad). You are paying for data ON YOUR PHONE, nowhere does it say it can be used on other devices. The fact that you want it that way doesn't make it so.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Kynetx posted:

I'm only "glad" to hear it to the extent that it has measurable influence in alleviating 3G network congestion, which Sprint has a serious problem with apparently.

That said I've not been unwilling to pay for a mobile broadband plan in the past when traveling frequently and/or when it was my only source of Internet. Although in those cases I'd probably go with a different carrier than Sprint for redundancy purposes--that is, I can still use my phone as a fallback for when other-network has no coverage.

ddogflex posted:

You are paying for data ON YOUR PHONE, nowhere does it say it can be used on other devices.
I think they have a much better argument on Verzion or AT&T where data is quotaed. That is, if you're paying precisely for 2 GB of data, it shouldn't matter if that's 2 GB on one device (a phone) or two (a phone and laptop).

That argument works less well for unlimited data though. This may, perhaps, be why it seems AT&T went after folks tethering on granfathered unlimited data plans and using significant (> 2 GB) volumes of data.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm only "glad" to hear it to the extent that it has measurable influence in alleviating 3G network congestion, which Sprint has a serious problem with apparently.

That said I've not been unwilling to pay for a mobile broadband plan in the past when traveling frequently and/or when it was my only source of Internet. Although in those cases I'd probably go with a different carrier than Sprint for redundancy purposes--that is, I can still use my phone as a fallback for when other-network has no coverage.

I think they have a much better argument on Verzion or AT&T where data is quotaed. That is, if you're paying precisely for 2 GB of data, it shouldn't matter if that's 2 GB on one device (a phone) or two (a phone and laptop).

That argument works less well for unlimited data though. This may, perhaps, be why it seems AT&T went after folks tethering on granfathered unlimited data plans and using significant (> 2 GB) volumes of data.

I 100% agree with you. 2GB is 2GB is 2GB. You should be able to use buckets however you want. Verizon sort of allows this, with data plans over 4GB you can tether without a different add-on, but 4GB is like $50/mo, soooo. Unrestricted tethering on unlimited data plans could get loving ridiculous really quick though and ruin the network for everyone. Sprints network doesn't need help being ruined, I get loving 80kbps during the day on EVDO.

Xeus
Dec 6, 2005
COPS NEVER LIE
*slurp* *slurrrrp* mmmm cop cock oh God so good in my mouth like this
I ended up getting a samsung galaxy s II. Is this generally considereda good phone?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Unlimited data for phones is like an all you can eat buffet. Some don't eat very much, and you make a lot of money on them. Some eat a lot, and you lose money on them. On the whole you make money. But when you throw tethering in it's like bringing farm animals into the buffet.

On Sprints end, they know unlimited doesn't mean unlimited. They can look at usage and see how much data "Unlimited" uses. Tethering makes that an unknown quantity.

But gently caress banning it on bucket plans. If I want to feed my caviar to a horse, I'll loving feed it to a horse.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Xeus posted:

Is this generally considereda good phone?
You mean the Epic 4G Touch?

It's good as long as you don't run into any issues with it. There's two problems that folks have had with it, the first is loss-of-signal, where the radio cuts out and won't come back until you reboot. The other is "something" that causes poor battery life. Either or both problems are exacerbated by rooting, so it's recommended to avoid doing that for now.

Folks on xda claim an update will be out, at the earliest in December, to address these issues. The other concern is how quickly Samsung will be able to update the device to Ice Cream Sandwich, which is the latest version of Android. Unfortunately Samsung is ten months outstanding pushing Gingerbread updates to almost all of their US market devices. Hopefully it won't take them that long.

If you can live with not running the latest version of Android, I'd stick with it and make sure you don't have any problems in your two-week exchange window. Test the GPS a good amount too. If you do run into any problems, it might be bail time as I have little confidence in Samsung being able to fix them--they haven't been able to in the past.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Xeus posted:

I ended up getting a samsung galaxy s II. Is this generally considereda good phone?
I really like it and I think we're going to see CyanogenMod on it before the end of the year. As much as I hate the name, TeamWin has some decent people (including the guy who got WiMAX support in CM7 for the EVO) and RootzWiki just sent them an Epic 4G Touch today to develop on.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Duckman2008 posted:

Not to defend them too much, but if you pay for unlimited calling does that mean you should get unlimited calling on multiple cell phones at once?

Just root and be done with it, no US carrier will be free Tether friendly.

That's not the same thing at all. Whether it's on the phone or tethered, it's data through the same conduit. No one said the same data plan should cover your phone and an aircard or hotspot. Yes it's in the terms of service and all carriers are the same, but that doesn't make it right or fair.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

FISHMANPET posted:

Unlimited data for phones is like an all you can eat buffet. Some don't eat very much, and you make a lot of money on them. Some eat a lot, and you lose money on them. On the whole you make money. But when you throw tethering in it's like bringing farm animals into the buffet.

On Sprints end, they know unlimited doesn't mean unlimited. They can look at usage and see how much data "Unlimited" uses. Tethering makes that an unknown quantity.

But gently caress banning it on bucket plans. If I want to feed my caviar to a horse, I'll loving feed it to a horse.

Remember the days when cable companies and phone companies said you weren't allowed to use a router and had to get a separate line for each computer you had connected to their service? This is basically the same thing.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Kreeblah posted:

Remember the days when cable companies and phone companies said you weren't allowed to use a router and had to get a separate line for each computer you had connected to their service? This is basically the same thing.

I love you for this post.

I remember VERY well how I had to make sure not to mention that I was using a router to my cable company when I first got a cable modem about 15 years ago.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Is there a decent rom out there for the Sprint Galaxy S2? My brother just picked one up and wants me to root it and flash CM7, but I didn't realize it was only for the GSM version of the phone.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Kreeblah posted:

Yes, that's pretty much dead on.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Kreeblah posted:

It's only basically the same thing if you use your router as your primary computer

I tether, but it's pretty easy to argue the situation either way.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

blargle posted:

Is there a decent rom out there for the Sprint Galaxy S2? My brother just picked one up and wants me to root it and flash CM7, but I didn't realize it was only for the GSM version of the phone.
Right now I'm running midNIGHT ROM 2.2, I figure it'll hold me over until CM7 comes out. (Hopefully!)

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/10/28/the-carrier-crackdown-continues-sprint-now-blocking-tethering-apps-in-the-android-market/

Sprint's blocked tethering apps on the Android Market like Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T.

Sideloading them still works though.
Can't you just put it on airplane mode, restart, and access the Market over WiFi? I'm pretty sure for GSM phones, removing the SIM card and accessing over WiFi accomplishes the same thing. Is this not the same for CDMA?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
They're probably just trying to stop the average user, which is 99% of the people with these phones.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Kreeblah posted:

Haha I remember that from when we first had cable internet back in like 2000. Didn't stop us from using our own router and having as many computers on as we wanted.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You mean the Epic 4G Touch?

It's good as long as you don't run into any issues with it. There's two problems that folks have had with it, the first is loss-of-signal, where the radio cuts out and won't come back until you reboot. The other is "something" that causes poor battery life. Either or both problems are exacerbated by rooting, so it's recommended to avoid doing that for now.

Folks on xda claim an update will be out, at the earliest in December, to address these issues. The other concern is how quickly Samsung will be able to update the device to Ice Cream Sandwich, which is the latest version of Android. Unfortunately Samsung is ten months outstanding pushing Gingerbread updates to almost all of their US market devices. Hopefully it won't take them that long.

If you can live with not running the latest version of Android, I'd stick with it and make sure you don't have any problems in your two-week exchange window. Test the GPS a good amount too. If you do run into any problems, it might be bail time as I have little confidence in Samsung being able to fix them--they haven't been able to in the past.

Samsung is not a company to expect updates from. They didn't push Froyo to their Galaxy S line until 8 months after release, and even then it was wonky.

This after all their previous fuckups. Rule of thumb is that if its a Samsung non-nexus device you might as well just expect no support and be mildly surprised at the halfass effort they put forth.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kreeblah posted:

This is a very good point, and fair. Here's the difference though: currently wireless does not have NEAR the capacity that cable and home internet does. Its much easier for a few users to ruin a wireless network than a cable network.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Duckman2008 posted:

This is a very good point, and fair. Here's the difference though: currently wireless does not have NEAR the capacity that cable and home internet does. Its much easier for a few users to ruin a wireless network than a cable network.

I bet ISPs made the same argument against routers back in the day. If wireless carriers' networks are so poor maybe they should focus on fixing the problem instead of handcuffing customers. What's the point of having an incredibly fast connection when it includes a cap or restriction of what device I can use my data on?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Yes, or have the seller bring it to you at a Sprint store where they can scan the ESN.

Always do this, but make sure they're not standing next to you when you activate since you will be asked for your PIN or secret question where they can hear you.

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I bet ISPs made the same argument against routers back in the day. If wireless carriers' networks are so poor maybe they should focus on fixing the problem instead of handcuffing customers. What's the point of having an incredibly fast connection when it includes a cap or restriction of what device I can use my data on?

More often than not, the carrier TOS says your data is for a phone and not for tethering unless you pay for a tethering plan. I'm not saying I think it's agreeable, but they make it pretty clear if tethering is or is not allowed.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Duckman2008 posted:

I have to agree. Using RF vs. a wired connection is a false dichotomy.

This comes down to abuse. Most people who tether without paying for it won't bring the network to its knees. These people understand they're doing something morally grey and don't push it.
On the other hand, there are plenty of people that understand full well that they're taking something without paying for it, but they're not too concerned about it, corporations are evil or something... they can come up with a way to rationalize it.
For the time being, unlimited data means "an indeterminate, large quantity". People that understand how the world works and like to pay for the things they use understand that Sprint has no intention of letting you rape the daylights out of the network because you can come up with a way to rationalize violating the contract you keep renewing every 1-2 years.
Sprint is the best US carrier for data in a value sense. If you are a subscriber and still feel offended by having restrictions on what you can do, switch up when your contract expires and go to another provider with more restrictions.

Kreeblah posted:

It's exactly the same thing. You're paying for a lower tier of service and then violating the contract and circumventing the device's safeguards against abuse. You may think that the anti-router policies were quaint, but the provider established a price point that balanced cost with profit.

I dunno, I guess what I'm trying to say is GROW UP AND START PAYING FOR poo poo INSTEAD OF TRYING TO STICK IT TO THE MAN.

Someone fetch me my Metamucil.

Kynetx fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 29, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"Kynetx" posted:

I have to agree. Using RF vs. a wired connection is a false dichotomy.

This comes down to abuse. Most people who tether without paying for it won't bring the network to its knees. These people understand they're doing something morally grey and don't push it.
On the other hand, there are plenty of people that understand full well that they're taking something without paying for it, but they're not too concerned about it, corporations are evil or something... they can come up with a way to rationalize it.
For the time being, unlimited data means "an indeterminate, large quantity". People that understand how the world works and like to pay for the things they use understand that Sprint has no intention of letting you rape the daylights out of the network because you can come up with a way to rationalize violating the contract you keep renewing every 1-2 years.
Sprint is the best US carrier for data in a value sense. If you are a subscriber and still feel offended by having restrictions on what you can do, switch up when your contract expires and go to another provider with more restrictions.

It's exactly the same thing. You're paying for a lower tier of service and then violating the contract and circumventing the device's safeguards against abuse. You may think that the anti-router policies were quaint, but the provider established a price point that balanced cost with profit.

I dunno, I guess what I'm trying to say is GROW UP AND START PAYING FOR poo poo INSTEAD OF TRYING TO STICK IT TO THE MAN.

Someone fetch me my Metamucil.

Well, one way or another both sides of the debate have a point, but let's get to what may be the crux of the debate:

Official rates on tethering for all carriers is too expensive (maybe excluding tmobile). Its the same reason people pirate (arguably it is wireless pirating): people feel its expensive, ill conceived, not fair, etc so they go and take it. The debate on whether its justified or whatever has pros and cons for both sides, but I think everyone can agree that people would be less likely to tether unauthorized if the rates were more affordable or fair.

And policy wise my end point is certainly not to villify unauthorized tethering (i certainly do that), but on the flip side everyone saw this coming for months and unfortunately wireless carriers all suck in the US in terms of fairness. I'm sure it'll be a cat and mouse game now, but i personally wouldn't blame anyone for tethering to web browse while on the go, just don't be that dick that torrents off of Sprint towers....

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
There's legitimate uses for using a poo poo load of bandwidth for the same reason there's a reason to do so on regular broadband connections. As these smart phones become more popular the want to do activities that are more bandwidth intensive like stream netflix, multiplayer gaming, app downloads, music streaming, etc.. become more prevalent. What's worse is that every US cell provider but Sprint says once you hit the 5GB cap we're going to poo poo on you regardless if you want true unlimited and are even wiling to pay a fair price for it. All this poo poo should be subsidized at this point, and is, by governments that actual care about its citizens. Limiting bandwidth just leads to technology stagnation.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Here's a question for those who enjoy tethering... is there any price you would be willing to actually pay for unlimited data tethering? Or is any price over your current monthly subscription (which, let's be honest, is probably already heavily discounted if you're in this thread) too much?

I probably wouldn't, but that's just because I very rarely (probably less than once a month) use it. When I do, it's usually because I'm sitting at a restaurant somewhere and my wife wants to get online with her iPad, so it's just for a few minutes and minimal data usage. Certainly not enough to justify any monthly fee.

I do hope that if Sprint ever does get rid of their unlimited plan that they go for throttling instead of tiered bandwidth pricing. I'd much rather my connection slow down until the end of the month than get hit with crazy overage charges!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

scarymonkey posted:

All this poo poo should be subsidized...by governments
lol.
Anything beyond "lol." that I would add is inappropriate for this subforum, so I'll just leave it at that.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

ilkhan posted:

lol.
Anything beyond "lol." that I would add is inappropriate for this subforum, so I'll just leave it at that.

Very eloquent, informed and educated response you've got there. You've convinced me. I don't know if you're talking out of ignorance or what but governments (tax payers) already pay huge amounts in telco subsidies for promised services that never come.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/FCC-Announces-Changes-to-USF-Phone-Company-Subsidies-116455

Ideally I would want a system like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_in_the_Netherlands

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

scarymonkey posted:

Ideally I would want a system like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_in_the_Netherlands
The Netherlands has a population density roughly 12x that of the US (402/km^2 vs 33/km^2) and enjoys top income tax bracket of 52% and a 19% non-food VAT. (wikipedia). gently caress that. There is a reason the telcos don't want to pay to upgrade 5 households per tower in rural areas.
The gov telling the telcos to build those towers, and then walking away in typical "tax some funds and throw it at a company without any accountability because money solves every problem" fashion may not be the best way to accomplish the goal of getting rural areas hooked up.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

ilkhan posted:

The Netherlands has a population density roughly 12x that of the US (402/km^2 vs 33/km^2) and enjoys top income tax bracket of 52% and a 19% non-food VAT. (wikipedia). gently caress that. There is a reason the telcos don't want to pay to upgrade 5 households per tower in rural areas.
The gov telling the telcos to build those towers, and then walking away in typical "tax some funds and throw it at a company without any accountability because money solves every problem" fashion may not be the best way to accomplish the goal of getting rural areas hooked up.

Hate to tell you but that's what the gov has been doing, with the amount of money we've thrown already you could hook up every home with fibre 5 times over.

US phone, cell, and broadband companies rely on consumer ignorance, and it works. That's one of the reasons initial smartphone adoption was so low. One of the great things Apple did for consumers when the iPhone was first introduced was demand certain minimum features be available that traditionally companies like AT&T and Verizon would remove, lock out or refuse to carry as it would put a load on their networks they weren't willing to give. Apple really had unprecedented say in their agreements, to provide access to features previously only available in places like Japan and Europe. Verizon was notorious for super locking down their phones so it only had their branded bullshit tv, music, etc.. pay services.

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Oct 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

brc64 posted:

Here's a question for those who enjoy tethering... is there any price you would be willing to actually pay for unlimited data tethering? Or is any price over your current monthly subscription (which, let's be honest, is probably already heavily discounted if you're in this thread) too much?

Yes. They want to charge me $30 per month for something I use MAYBE two or three times per month. How about going with a $2 or $3 per day that you use it charge?

I would happily send some money Sprint's way if they gave me an affordable, as-you-use-it option like this. It would make my life easier (no need for custom ROMs that support tethering, or hassle like PDANet or WirelessTether), they would bring in more revenue at NO extra cost to them, and customers who only want/need tethering occasionally wouldn't feel like they're getting raped.