Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

signalnoise posted:

I'm attempting to raise my skill in spicing things and making spice blends. I am interested in experimenting with a bunch of different combinations, but just tasting the combination off the tip of my finger won't have the presence of salt and other things that would really impact how the spices taste at the end of cooking.

So, anyone know a simple way for me to test out spice blends without actually cooking something with it? I mean, even with Old Bay, having it straight up is way different than having it cooked with stuff.

Maybe toast?

Unfortunately, working with spices is just a thing you learn by experience. Depending on the medium you are spicing (fat, water, alcohol, acid, etc.) you will get different results. The best way to get familiar with how spices work in food is by starting with regional blends, and taking mental notes of how certain spices play with each other. Make a curry, then taste it, and smell it while also smelling a jar of each of the spices that went into it individually. See if you can pick out the components and how they come across in the curry. Do this for different curries from different areas of the world. Eventually you will get a feel for it. In terms of coming up with novel combinations, you can get "The Flavor Bible" which is a great resource to have when coming up with pairings.

Also, check this out: http://blog.khymos.org/tgrwt/ :science:

OCCUPY GWS

BREAK THE MOD HEGEMONY

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Mozi posted:

I have .72lb of lamb breast for myself tonight and was thinking a simple braise would be the way to go. I do not have a cast iron lid for my cast iron pan, however (which would be my closest approximation of a dutch oven). What is the way to go here?

Tinfoil, or a cookie sheet maybe? Anything that'll fit across the top.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
What should I put on my pizza tonight? I already have mozzerella and tomatoes.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Speaking of spices, I tried to make the pumpkin dal recipe posted earlier in this thread and I feel like I failed somehow. The texture came out just right, but the spice/flavor was just, ugh. It was slightly bitter and tasted very chalky to me. I felt like it was missing warm comfort food taste I associate with dal. If there's a next time, maybe I should cut back on the tumeric and cardamom? Is there anything I can add to it to give it that missing umph?

The other two people I fed it to seemed to like it though, so maybe I was just being little miss sensitive palette or something.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Mr. Wiggles posted:

My go-to pizza combo is roma tomatoes, spinach, and artichoke hearts, hope this helps.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

What do you have as leftovers in your fridge? Or, what would you like to use up? Or is this a pre-shopping trip question?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Knockknees posted:

Is there anything I can add to it to give it that missing umph?
When in doubt - add heavy cream and butter. That'll rock your socks.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Mozi posted:

I have .72lb of lamb breast for myself tonight and was thinking a simple braise would be the way to go. I do not have a cast iron lid for my cast iron pan, however (which would be my closest approximation of a dutch oven). What is the way to go here?

You can braise stuff in any container, I use a cake pan with aluminium foil on top of it sometimes.

Ravingsockmonkey
Jan 24, 2007

Kharma police, arrest this girl
She stares at me as if she owns the world
And we have crashed her party

Grand Fromage posted:

drat, my only option for non-Korean flour is whole wheat. I was hoping I could just swap it out. I'll give this no-knead recipe another shot... I know it's supposed to be a wet dough but is it really supposed to be pourable?

This recipe is what I've been using, and the bread has been rising really nicely and is nice and bubbly inside. I'll go back and check the recipe you're using, but I wonder if the amount of the water is different?

A question on the no knead bread, the recipe says to wrap up the dough in a well floured towel to rest for 2 (or more) hours after you fold it. I've floured the hell out of the towels and the dough always sticks. Would it be OK just to either flour a bowl or oil it slightly and cover it with a towel instead?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

pnumoman posted:

What do you have as leftovers in your fridge? Or, what would you like to use up? Or is this a pre-shopping trip question?

It could be pre-shopping or pre thawing or pre whatever. I don't usually have leftovers hanging around in the fridge, and I'm just not feeling very inspired for tonight. I have some collard greens in the garden still, but that's about all I can think of.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Curry the collards in the style of palak paneer, but without the paneer. Put on pizza with cheese.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Genius.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Ravingsockmonkey posted:

This recipe is what I've been using, and the bread has been rising really nicely and is nice and bubbly inside. I'll go back and check the recipe you're using, but I wonder if the amount of the water is different?

A question on the no knead bread, the recipe says to wrap up the dough in a well floured towel to rest for 2 (or more) hours after you fold it. I've floured the hell out of the towels and the dough always sticks. Would it be OK just to either flour a bowl or oil it slightly and cover it with a towel instead?

I fold it on a parchment paper and just pick up the paper and put it back in the bowl it rose in, then cover.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Curry the collards in the style of palak paneer, but without the paneer. Put on pizza with cheese.

Nice one. For some reason, I have a sudden urge for chicken vindaloo pizza...

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

You can braise stuff in any container, I use a cake pan with aluminium foil on top of it sometimes.

Thanks, I put tin foil over it and a cookie pan over that for good measure. I think I may have used too much wine but...

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
I have an OXO v-blade mandoline. I can't get an even slice for the life of me. I'm trying to slice a potato at 1/16 and they are all tapering off at the back. I have no loving idea how to fix this, but it makes it impossible to get good chips.

Any tips?

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Got a nice chicken to roast (and two bags of chicken bones to make stock, booya!), but I forgot to get butcher's twine to truss the chicken.

I got a roll of clean "household" cotton twine, but I'm afraid it might not stand up to the temperature and burn. Would soaking it in water for a while help?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Serendipitaet posted:

Got a nice chicken to roast (and two bags of chicken bones to make stock, booya!), but I forgot to get butcher's twine to truss the chicken.

I got a roll of clean "household" cotton twine, but I'm afraid it might not stand up to the temperature and burn. Would soaking it in water for a while help?

I wouldn't bother. I'm pretty sure it's the same thing as butcher's twine. The part against the chicken should be fine.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

Jewce posted:

I have an OXO v-blade mandoline. I can't get an even slice for the life of me. I'm trying to slice a potato at 1/16 and they are all tapering off at the back. I have no loving idea how to fix this, but it makes it impossible to get good chips.

Any tips?

Toss it and get a better one. I had an OXO straight blade mandoline, and it started out great but once the blade got even a little bit dull, the whole thing was worthless. Add in the fact that you can't remove the blade to sharpen it, and it wound up being a waste of money for me. Which is a pity because everything else I own that's OXO is great.

I wound up not replacing mine at all, because I tend to chop and dice more than I slice.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Serendipitaet posted:

That'll work fine. As long as it isn't loose garden twine, but the tight white/grey stuff, you're good.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Pester posted:

I have a couple of new york strip steaks that I'm about to pan sear. Do I trim the fat before cooking them, after, or not at all?

Might be a late answer but put them fat side down for 30-40 seconds to render out some fat & let the remainder go crispy.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

signalnoise posted:

I'm attempting to raise my skill in spicing things and making spice blends. I am interested in experimenting with a bunch of different combinations, but just tasting the combination off the tip of my finger won't have the presence of salt and other things that would really impact how the spices taste at the end of cooking.

So, anyone know a simple way for me to test out spice blends without actually cooking something with it? I mean, even with Old Bay, having it straight up is way different than having it cooked with stuff.

Maybe toast?

Fry it in fat, pour it over boiled potatoes/rice, eat.

Bellabel
Jan 5, 2010

Dead finks don't talk too well; they've got a shaky sense of diction

wafflesnsegways posted:

You can make your own cheese and charcuterie. For drinks, you can make your own mead or hard cider with just a little equipment, bitters and extracts for cocktails... all kinds of things.

Plus, whatever you like now, you can probably nerd out over. Like coffee? Roast your own beans!

Sweet deal. I do like to nerd out :) Cheese making sounds promising and less expensive than charcuterie (at least I have something to look forward to)

I like turtles posted:

A small herb garden is always nice to have too. I do bread, charcuterie and cider, and I've got a garden. On the non food front of things, take courses like blacksmithing, glassblowing, ceramics - I get as much enjoyment making a hand axe as I do making a couple pounds of bacon. And the axe will last longer too.

I'm famously bad with plants but herbs are awesome... it's a possibility, but I don't really have a good consistent light source where they'd be safe from drunk kids. Regarding non-food projects, I do think I'd like to take up knitting or something similar. I never even considered blacksmithing before--it seems a little beyond my budget right now but having a homemade axe would be incredible.

another question: favorite recipe type blogs?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I loooove Smitten Kitchen: http://www.smittenkitchen.com

KOTJ
Mar 16, 2007

I bought a grass-fed culotte steak on impulse due to the low price. I've had it at one of the local French restaurants, but have never personally cooked this particular cut before. Google results are telling me it's from the cap of the top sirloin--am I correct in assuming it needs a marinade of some sort?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

KOTJ posted:

I bought a grass-fed culotte steak on impulse due to the low price. I've had it at one of the local French restaurants, but have never personally cooked this particular cut before. Google results are telling me it's from the cap of the top sirloin--am I correct in assuming it needs a marinade of some sort?

No cut of meat needs a marinade. Ever. Sirloin cap is a fairly tender cut. Cook it like any other decent steak.

If you have the fat cap on it still (and is thick enough), salt the whole steak and slap it fat side down on the grill until most of the fat has rendered out, then flip to the opposite side to get grill marks and finish to taste. I recommend med-rare. Serve with chimichurri and some rice and beans. Yum.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Would it be easier to take the skin off of a butternut squash before or after cooking?

tycho_atreides
Oct 25, 2006

Here be dargonz

heeebrew posted:

Would it be easier to take the skin off of a butternut squash before or after cooking?

Depends on how you want to cook it. If you want to roast it and use it for puree or whatever, cut the squash in half, season the flesh side and put that side down on buttered parchment and roast it in the oven until thoroughly tender, then scoop the flesh out with a spoon. Otherwise, you can just cut the skin off with a knife and cut it up to be sauteed, braised, put in a soup, whatever.

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.
Though if you're like me and don't have great knife skills and/or have lovely knives, I suggest using a good peeler to take the skin off. I bled a lot less the second way.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Usually when I make daal I put in a bit of cream to thicken it. However I have some coconut milk lying around and I'm wondering if I could achieve the same effect with a 1-to-1 substitution? Anyone familiar with this? Thanks!

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Halloween party tomorrow. Wife talked me into grilling sliders instead of bigger burgers. When grilling something little like that, how do I keep it from getting too dray? Higher temperature but shorter cooking time?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

The Macaroni posted:

Halloween party tomorrow. Wife talked me into grilling sliders instead of bigger burgers. When grilling something little like that, how do I keep it from getting too dray? Higher temperature but shorter cooking time?

You can use a higher percentage of pork, or just add some ground pork into your beef; it's got a higher fat content than lean beef, so it should help with the dryness.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The Macaroni posted:

I made sliders not too long ago. Because they are so little, I wanted them to be really flavorful and moist, so I sauteed chopped onions in a bunch of butter and salt, cooled it off in the fridge, and mixed that in with the meat before making patties. Cooked them on a gas grill for about 1 minute a side. Grill wasn't extra hot because normal sized stuff was being cooked as well. People really liked them, they ran out way too quick.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Would it be totally self-serving to post my blog entry on crab cake sliders, or is that something that would interest people?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

RazorBunny posted:

Would it be totally self-serving to post my blog entry on crab cake sliders, or is that something that would interest people?

Post it! I like Crab. :3:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Soiled Meat

Knockknees posted:

Speaking of spices, I tried to make the pumpkin dal recipe posted earlier in this thread and I feel like I failed somehow. The texture came out just right, but the spice/flavor was just, ugh. It was slightly bitter and tasted very chalky to me. I felt like it was missing warm comfort food taste I associate with dal. If there's a next time, maybe I should cut back on the tumeric and cardamom? Is there anything I can add to it to give it that missing umph?

The other two people I fed it to seemed to like it though, so maybe I was just being little miss sensitive palette or something.

What kind of pumpkins are you using? If they're a jack-o-lantern variety, they're pretty bland

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 28, 2011

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Jyrraeth posted:

Post it! I like Crab. :3:

I aim to please :)

Crab Cake Sliders

My in-laws called my husband today to tell him they were going to make these :3:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

The Macaroni posted:

Make little tiny one meatball sandwiches.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

mr. unhsib posted:

Usually when I make daal I put in a bit of cream to thicken it. However I have some coconut milk lying around and I'm wondering if I could achieve the same effect with a 1-to-1 substitution? Anyone familiar with this? Thanks!

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Make little tiny one meatball sandwiches.

You get no bread with one meatball.