Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoB
May 1, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

To add to Supercar's statement, this actually just means that the satellite was added after the ancestor fights happened. I'd say it probably has something to do with all the adult trolls being sent off to war. Maybe that's just where the Condesce lived before being sent off on a mission for English.

She wasn't Lord English's servant until long after the troll session. Either she built it before leaving to conquer the galaxy or it was built while she was gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

KoB posted:

She wasn't Lord English's servant until long after the troll session. Either she built it before leaving to conquer the galaxy or it was built while she was gone.

I suppose she did leave with the rest of the adult trolls, huh.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I've listened through the Jailbreak album and man it's pretty good. I'm like the only guy I know who actually listens to chiptunes. All my friends thinks its irritating. Which is true sometimes, but I think this is pretty cool. I really like the commentary track at the end. I want those for the Homestuck volumes :v:

Renaissance Robot posted:

When did you stop being that mysterious grey douchebag and start being Harry Anderson?

Yesterday. The quote is a bit cumbersome but whatevs. I would have gone with "who's this wise guy?" but I wanted to change it up and Harry Anderson is just mugging so hard for the camera it's endearing. Plus the Wise Guy pages are among my favorites in MSPA.

It was either this or a Charles Dutton avatar with "I slept and saw God's forge in frost." as the text. I'll probably move onto that once I'm bored with Harry. Or a Charles Barkley avatar with like This Ocean Charles. So many choices :allears:

Mr. Pumroy fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 28, 2011

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

creationist believer posted:

And it was necessary for Jade to die to hold up her end of the bargain. I hope we learn what the bargain presented to Kanaya was that she turned down was, all she says is that it wasn't important or interesting and also impossible.

Which means it could be literally anything given how utterly terrible trolls in general seem to be at reading subtext and gauging the relative importance of seemingly meaningless actions which are typically dripping with said subtext. See: Karkat and frog breeding.

So yeah I really hope we find out what their bargain was too, because I think it's super entertaining to retrospectively watch these 13 year old aliens flail about being utterly obtuse and refusing to even try to figure out all this weird puzzle poo poo.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS
Wait a second, who is dog tier Jade?

Is it the Jadesprite personality or the standard Jade personality? Since the dreamself sort of takes over in regards to becoming god tier, wouldn't that indicate that she'd have the personality/existence of Jadesprite?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Saradiart posted:

Wait a second, who is dog tier Jade?

Is it the Jadesprite personality or the standard Jade personality? Since the dreamself sort of takes over in regards to becoming god tier, wouldn't that indicate that she'd have the personality/existence of Jadesprite?

Their separate consciousnesses almost certainly merged.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Hussie specifically said so, in fact.

It's a good thing Jade had so much important poo poo to do immediately because it's got to be confusing to be her right now.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Call me crazy, but I think I know what the tiny pink moon around Alternia's pink moon is now...

quote:

GA: Your Hubris Is Really Astonishing
GA: Easily Twice The Mass Of A Universe I Think
GA: That It Hasnt Collapsed Upon Itself Into A Tiny Lavender Singularity Is The Most Striking Marvel Paradox Space Has Coughed Up Yet

:tinfoil:

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Supercar Gautier posted:

Their separate consciousnesses almost certainly merged.

We're sure gonna miss her :(

Also, who designed Rose/Dave's god tier looks? I know Lexxy did Jade's

KoB
May 1, 2009

Pastrymancy posted:

Also, who designed Rose/Dave's god tier looks? I know Lexxy did Jade's

I think someone said that she was the only person who knew about God Tiers/spoilers in general. Hussie must have designed both Rose and Dave.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Pastrymancy posted:

Oh no we're not, let's be honest here

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Hold on, where is everyone getting this talk about the eight player session from? I don't remember reading anything hinting about that. Or is it something super tiny that I missed the first time, like the idea that the 48 zodiac signs of Alternia meant that Alternia was spawned by a 48 player session.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Hold on, where is everyone getting this talk about the eight player session from? I don't remember reading anything hinting about that. Or is it something super tiny that I missed the first time, like the idea that the 48 zodiac signs of Alternia meant that Alternia was spawned by a 48 player session.

It was a super tiny detail, yes. There's a diagram in the lab Rose goes into waaaaay back in act (2?) showing an 8-player session.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

President Ark posted:

It was a super tiny detail, yes. There's a diagram in the lab Rose goes into waaaaay back in act (2?) showing an 8-player session.

It did, however, reappear in Scratch's scrapbook.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I think it's this page's fault. There is what looks like an 8 play session on one of the monitors.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
That diagram is also shown among the pile of scraps in this page. Its placement there seems pretty deliberate.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
Does John know that Vriska is dead? I think Karkat never told him because he didn't want John to be distracted. The kids just went through all kinds of crap to hang out with the trolls and now John can't spend time with his troll lady friend :smith:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PlesantDilemma posted:

Does John know that Vriska is dead? I think Karkat never told him because he didn't want John to be distracted. The kids just went through all kinds of crap to hang out with the trolls and now John can't spend time with his troll lady friend :smith:

Karkat's been hiding it from him. Guess we'll detonate that dramabomb when we come to it.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Oxxidation posted:

Karkat's been hiding it from him. Guess we'll detonate that dramabomb when we come to it.

Yeah... it will be a real "drama" "bomb."

CG: HEY SORRY ABOUT THIS BUT YOUR BEST PSYCHO FRIEND VRISKA IS DEAD.
EB: oh no, :(
EB: that sucks, oh well.
AA: actually you can probably visit her in a dream bubble.
EB: oh! yay!
CG: OH GOD DAMNIT WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

Guessing that's what will finally cause a more serious John mental breakdown of sorts. Iirc his last conversation with Karkat implied that everything that's happened was starting to get to him and he was pretty intent on not losing anyone else.

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y

True Evil Bob posted:

Guessing that's what will finally cause a more serious John mental breakdown of sorts. Iirc his last conversation with Karkat implied that everything that's happened was starting to get to him and he was pretty intent on not losing anyone else.

And in a truly ironic twist, John will be the only god tier to turn evil and serve Lord English.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

That'll be fine though, since Lord English will have turned out to be Harry Anderson and John always wanted to learn from the best magician ever.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Actually, they've got a good out for Vriska to show up alive and well based on Hussie's explanation of what was going on.

Long story short, The Green Sun would have ignited and quickly propagated across Paradox Space as we all know, with anyone who was watching for it able to follow the path it's ignition would have revealed straight to it's current position, which is outside the normal boundaries of time and space. Assuming Vriska managed to defeat Bec Noir (As Scratch hints is plausible enough that he wouldn't bet against her), there's no reason she Wouldn't do everything in her power to catch up there--after all, the only living being left that she cares for is going to be there, right?

So she watches for the Sun's light to reach, and follows it, showing up probably as Karkat's trying to come up with a delicate way of letting John know what happened.

Besides, it'd fit the whole symmetry thing (Alpha Vriska gets her d8 with Beta John, and Beta Vriska gets to have her d8 with Alpha John), and it's actually something that could happen based on the way the setting works, since a place outside time and space isn't going to be chained by poo poo like the Alpha/Beta Timeline thing, especially since the Alpha Timeline is "Over" with the Green Sun's genesis.

And since when the gently caress has Hussie ever done an interlude that turned out to be meaningless? He likes fake-outs, but he never spends lengthy tangents on something that turns out to be entirely pointless. Especially when he was already compressing things down and cutting out sidelines.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Mr. Pumroy posted:

That'll be fine though, since Lord English will have turned out to be Harry Anderson and John always wanted to learn from the best magician ever.

"JOHN. JOHN, MY BOY. WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE HOW TO MAKE AN ENTIRE UNIVERSE... DISAPPEAR?"

Memphis Raines
May 21, 2008

100 Watts of Mediocrity
He's gonna be pretty upset, for sure. Karkat laid it out on the line for him and made him admit if he had feelings for vriska, and he said he did. Then Karkat said he wouldn't tell him yet because he needed him to be able to think straight.

At least I hope he gets upset, because I am far too emotionally invested in the relationship between those 2 characters. :ohdear:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Supercar Gautier posted:

The ancestors we know and love are post-scratch. In the pre-scratch session, Karkat et al were the ancestors while Mindfang etc were the players.
Derp, I keep forgetting that the ancestor stuff we saw was never pre-scratch. So it was something that happened after the Mindfang battle and we have no clue yet what it was.

creationist believer posted:

Call me crazy, but I think I know what the tiny pink moon around Alternia's pink moon is now...
:tinfoil:
Hah, I thought that was a nice find until I went and read the context around it. Yeah, she's basically referencing the tumor bomb saying it would create a lavender singularity, but that's because lavender is the color of Rose's text color. Unless we discover that the kids do end up creating the troll universe in a double reach-around we denied simply because the trolls had 48 zodiac signs (and tell me if I'm wrong and it was confirmed that there was a 48 player session, I forget if that was literally mentioned somewhere) and it turned out Jade and Rose made the moons for the hell of it and that satellite is Rose's insertion of something into the ancestor's timeline to change something... ahhh I don't know. It's been too long before I had a good long think about MSPA. drat downtimes.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Memphis Raines posted:

He's gonna be pretty upset, for sure. Karkat laid it out on the line for him and made him admit if he had feelings for vriska, and he said he did. Then Karkat said he wouldn't tell him yet because he needed him to be able to think straight.

At least I hope he gets upset, because I am far too emotionally invested in the relationship between those 2 characters. :ohdear:

The only thing that makes me hesitant to think he'd have a strong reaction is, well, he hasn't really had a strong negative reaction to anything real (his reaction to Dad's death was very calm, but I guess it might be the timing that's loving with him. Maybe this time would be different?)

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Huh. Apparently some Homestuck songs are coming to Rock Band.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Alectai posted:

Actually, they've got a good out for Vriska to show up alive and well based on Hussie's explanation of what was going on.

[Beta Timeline Vriska follows the Green Sun light]

Only problem with this: People from Beta timelines are doomed, remember? Only reason Beta-Dave survived is that he immediately self-prototyped into Davesprite.

So unless Vriska does something similar to break the rules, or Hussie rules that her luck-powers keeps the Doom at bay, or she is just constant resurrecting due to God Tier, she can't return to the story that way.

Besides, her story is mostly over, I think.

SexyBrianPuppet
Oct 5, 2010

remember, you are talking to the pranking MASTER.

Alectai posted:

Long story short, The Green Sun would have ignited and quickly propagated across Paradox Space as we all know, with anyone who was watching for it able to follow the path it's ignition would have revealed straight to it's current position, which is outside the normal boundaries of time and space. Assuming Vriska managed to defeat Bec Noir (As Scratch hints is plausible enough that he wouldn't bet against her), there's no reason she Wouldn't do everything in her power to catch up there--after all, the only living being left that she cares for is going to be there, right?

So she watches for the Sun's light to reach, and follows it, showing up probably as Karkat's trying to come up with a delicate way of letting John know what happened.

Besides, it'd fit the whole symmetry thing (Alpha Vriska gets her d8 with Beta John, and Beta Vriska gets to have her d8 with Alpha John), and it's actually something that could happen based on the way the setting works, since a place outside time and space isn't going to be chained by poo poo like the Alpha/Beta Timeline thing, especially since the Alpha Timeline is "Over" with the Green Sun's genesis.

And since when the gently caress has Hussie ever done an interlude that turned out to be meaningless? He likes fake-outs, but he never spends lengthy tangents on something that turns out to be entirely pointless. Especially when he was already compressing things down and cutting out sidelines.

That Vriska wasn't actually part of a beta timeline though. It was just a vision of what would happen if Terezi didn't kill Vriska.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Boneless Jogger posted:

Huh. Apparently some Homestuck songs are coming to Rock Band.

That's cool and all but man, that keyboard in Dance of Thorns. I don't own RB3 and I get that plastic toy instruments are not at all representative of the real thing but do they often shoehorn instruments in an awkward way like that?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SexyBrianPuppet posted:

That Vriska wasn't actually part of a beta timeline though. It was just a vision of what would happen if Terezi didn't kill Vriska.

Terezi killing Vriska was a decision, just a calculated one based on what she saw in her vision. As has been shown, decisions are what cause beta timelines to spawn.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Bobulus posted:

Only problem with this: People from Beta timelines are doomed, remember? Only reason Beta-Dave survived is that he immediately self-prototyped into Davesprite.

So unless Vriska does something similar to break the rules, or Hussie rules that her luck-powers keeps the Doom at bay, or she is just constant resurrecting due to God Tier, she can't return to the story that way.

Besides, her story is mostly over, I think.

The counter point to this is that Beta people die because of the manner in which the Alpha timeline behaves. By exiting into the Furthest Ring to meet up with John, she has exited such influences.

Largely in so doing deflecting any concerns of inevitable doominess.

And with both of their universes destroyed, I think none of them have a native alpha timeline anymore.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

The counter point to this is that Beta people die because of the manner in which the Alpha timeline behaves. By exiting into the Furthest Ring to meet up with John, she has exited such influences.

Largely in so doing deflecting any concerns of inevitable doominess.

And with both of their universes destroyed, I think none of them have a native alpha timeline anymore.

If Vriska wins that fight though, then Jack will never kill the kid's universe. Without a dead universe, the green sun wouldn't be created by the exploding tumor, so she'd never even see it.

e: Welp, guess I'm wrong.

e2: Guess not.

Arrhythmia fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 29, 2011

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Arrhythmia posted:

If Vriska wins that fight though, then Jack will never kill the kid's universe. Without a dead universe though, the green sun wouldn't be created by the exploding tumor, so she'd never even see it.

The Green Sun is in the Furthest Ring. It is outside every universe/timeline and as such doesn't give a poo poo about any of that.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Arrhythmia posted:

If Vriska wins that fight though, then Jack will never kill the kid's universe. Without a dead universe, the green sun wouldn't be created by the exploding tumor, so she'd never even see it.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/storyfiles/hs2/03808.gif

But she did see it.

Memphis Raines
May 21, 2008

100 Watts of Mediocrity
Which is a paradox that would unmake their existence in the beta timeline, thus dooming beta Vriska to death, by never having been conceived in the first place.

wait, edit, because I'm not actually sure about that.

Okay, I *was* thinking if Jack is destroyed by beta Vriska > No jack means no attack on the troll's incipisphere > which means the trolls never interact with the kids > which means no Bec, no prototyping of Jack Noir, and consequently no Jack Noir to beat in the first place. So yeah, it's a reality destroying paradox, because it's not a stable time loop.

But obviously Vriska attack Jack takes place after he's attacked the troll's incipisphere, so I was completely wrong. Post retracted.

Memphis Raines fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 29, 2011

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

King of Solomon posted:

Terezi killing Vriska was a decision, just a calculated one based on what she saw in her vision. As has been shown, decisions are what cause beta timelines to spawn.

It's never been established that beta timelines do or don't exist except where they're necessary to loop back into the alpha timeline.

Alectai posted:

The fans basically demanded that kind of in-depth closure for such an explosive issue as Vriska's death, though. Andrew does most things for a reason, but sometimes that reason is just introducing concepts. In particular, Andrew wanted to depict Jack Noir killing all the trolls because, as he described it in the end-of-act writeup, this was the chapter where Jack Noir Kills Everyone. There may be some additional retroactive significance to the Vriska vs. Jack tangent later, but that significance is not necessarily going to be a beta Vriska flying out of space to deliver pirate justice.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Gabriel Pope posted:

It's never been established that beta timelines do or don't exist except where they're necessary to loop back into the alpha timeline.

Actually...

According to Terezi in that page, the Beta timeline spawned because Dave made a choice. The Beta timeline that spawned was where Dave chose the opposite one the awake Dave made. As a result of that, Beta Dave looped back in time to get killed on his Quest Bed, but instead got killed by Jack.

Terezi isn't the most reliable person to explain the mechanics, but, well, those are the mechanics as we know them.

EDIT: It's possible to argue that Felt Beta Dave only exists because he looped back into the alpha to die, but I don't think that's the case. It seems that beta timelines just spawn whenever someone makes the wrong choice and occasionally someone loops back, but most of the time everyone just dies.

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

That's not the Green Sun, that's Jack blowing up the Troll Meteor.

gently caress. You're right.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/storyfiles/hs2/03808.gif

But she did see it.

That's not the Green Sun, that's Jack blowing up the Troll Meteor.