Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

SeanBeansShako posted:

The end of GTA IV, Niko and Dwayne sitting on a bench in the Liberty City Central Park looking sad at the ground.

Feeding diamonds to pigeons.

I liked how the diamond thing ran through all the expansions. If V has multiple playable characters as rumored, I hope they thread all the stories together like that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Playboy pretty much exists in his own fantasy world, his concept of moving on means puffing up and posturing hard.

Jesus so thats what Dwayne does? so depressingly :smith:.

But PBX actually was rich and successful. It wasn't about him being fake, the choice and drama there was about what he did or didn't owe to his actual roots as a thuggy youth. And whether or not he was betraying his roots by being a Jay-Z stand in and not wanting to go do whatever Dwayne wanted to do.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

When you get your like % with Dwayne up high enough he's kinda less depressing and it's actually nice to spend time with him out getting drunk and going to the strip club and shooting down helicopters together.

Like a little "we have bad history" dynamic duo.

Steves Asleep
Jun 5, 2005

The only problem I had with GTAIV was that the multiplayer was nowhere near as fun as Multi Theft Auto was for San Andreas.

Give us an official OJ mode and crazy maps to race around, that's all I need! :argh:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Steves Asleep posted:

The only problem I had with GTAIV was that the multiplayer was nowhere near as fun as Multi Theft Auto was for San Andreas.

Give us an official OJ mode and crazy maps to race around, that's all I need! :argh:
Beep beep!

I miss OJ like crazy but theres still a ton of stuff for you to do online.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Both times I played through GTAIV, I sided with Dwayne and killed Playboy just so I could get his sweet rear end apartment. Never hung out with Dwayne, though. He came across like a little bitch to me too but I never felt guilty enough to hang out with him.

Steves Asleep
Jun 5, 2005

Cage posted:

Beep beep!

I miss OJ like crazy but theres still a ton of stuff for you to do online.

:) Well that's true I guess but (for me at least) it's never really reached the sheer fun of what the modding community came up with. GTAIV multiplayer just felt so restricted compared to the absolute freedom we all had in MTA.

Been reading through the thread and seeing some of the old faces from goontheftauto has made me start re-watching some of the craziness on Youtube :banjo:

I absolutely loved the single player in IV though so I'm really excited to see where they go next.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
Killing Dwayne was the hardest thing I could ever do. I just wanted to leave and kill Playboy but I didn't want to fail the mission (I think you can fail it by sparing him.)

The worse thing was getting chewed out by Playboy. It seemed that Playboy didn't even want me to kill him in the first place. He was just acting big and tough. I stopped playing after that. That poo poo just depressed me and ruined any fun I had in the game.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Man, MTA:SA is one of the funnest Online games I have ever played, mainly the racing one.

I got SA on steam now and it 90% of the time crashes hard, no idea why. I downgraded to 1.01. Still crashing. Every. loving. Time.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Supeerme posted:

Killing Dwayne was the hardest thing I could ever do. I just wanted to leave and kill Playboy but I didn't want to fail the mission (I think you can fail it by sparing him.)
You really chose wrong. It's up to you if you kill Playboy or Dwayne. Killing Playboy earns you a penthouse and Dwayne as a friend which leads to the ability to call in bodyguards.

The only downside is that Dwayne gets really passive aggressive if you tell him that you don't want to hangout. It is funny when Niko eventually chews him out for being so self-centered.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
I chose Dawyne due to his depressed state, I felt that he wouldn't last long in the outside world. Tbh I went Old Yeller on him.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."
So, I've been having some issues with the Steam version of San Andreas. After downloading some skins for better gats, I can't exactly play the game. I "start" it up, but nothing happens, the game doesn't even start, but Steam acts like I'm playing it.

And yeah, I wasted Playboy X. He was an arrogant rear end in a top hat and childish. And I hate all of that "rich playboy" poo poo he was a part of. I lit him up. :colbert:

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
Killing Playboy means you get the GTA3 outfit.

Above all else, this is why it is the correct path.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Junk posted:

Killing Playboy means you get the GTA3 outfit.

Above all else, this is why it is the correct path.

...wait, Claude's black jacket and dark green camo pants?

:stare:

Now I have to re-play GTAIV. I never knew that was an unlockable.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

It appears in your wardrobe when you get Playboy's flat.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

You guys are taking these in game decisions a little too seriously.

AND so is Rockstar, which is the biggest problem I have with GTA 4. I don't want to contemplate the full state of a character or his friend with over-the-top violence and car jacking. Some substance is fine but let it take center stage. Those heart to heart talks between the troubled cousins while driving were the worst.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I missed out on the GTA3 outfit and was pisssssed. Didn't have a save point to revert back to.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

commy gun posted:

AND so is Rockstar, which is the biggest problem I have with GTA 4. I don't want to contemplate the full state of a character or his friend with over-the-top violence and car jacking. Some substance is fine but let it take center stage. Those heart to heart talks between the troubled cousins while driving were the worst.

Wow, someone who agrees with me. You know when you start a mission in IV and then the characters go on this diatribe about like, the universe or some poo poo you don't care about? Yeah, you just summed up my thoughts.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

I was taking the game WAY to seriously there for a while, but I slipped into the GTA3 outfit and suddenly I was right back at home in my circa 2001 mentality of jacking cars, going on rampages, and knocking out missions left and right. Got killed? Why load the game?! Just go with the flow!

This is the kind of game where obsessive save/load behavior just breaks your will to play. It's hard at first to avoid going "crap I lost some money when I died and some ammo, maybe I should load" all the time but I found out later rather than sooner that it really is the secret to success in enjoying GTA IV and TLAD/TBOGT.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

commy gun posted:

Yeah, I mean our options are either wind up with nothing, OR gain a save point, unlock Claude's outfit, and get the ability to call some thugs for backup. Really tough moral decision.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Junk posted:

Yeah, I mean our options are either wind up with nothing, OR gain a save point, unlock Claude's outfit, and get the ability to call some thugs for backup. Really tough moral decision.

Kill the Russian dude and have your girlfriend(?) get shot OR work with him and have your cousin get shot at his wedding comes to mind.

Because Rockstar wants you to know your comically over the top violence has consequences. :jerkbag:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

That Awful Nick posted:

I was taking the game WAY to seriously there for a while, but I slipped into the GTA3 outfit and suddenly I was right back at home in my circa 2001 mentality of jacking cars, going on rampages, and knocking out missions left and right. Got killed? Why load the game?! Just go with the flow!

This is the kind of game where obsessive save/load behavior just breaks your will to play. It's hard at first to avoid going "crap I lost some money when I died and some ammo, maybe I should load" all the time but I found out later rather than sooner that it really is the secret to success in enjoying GTA IV and TLAD/TBOGT.

I never did this. Who the hell loads up a save just because they died? When you die, you get the option to restart the mission instantly? And when you die, it's not like you lose that much money anyways.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Himuro posted:

I never did this. Who the hell loads up a save just because they died? When you die, you get the option to restart the mission instantly? And when you die, it's not like you lose that much money anyways.

Throughout the 3 era games, I was obsessed with having a zero death count. Not to mention that dying lost all your guns, So I reloaded all the time. This held over into IV. By the time I got into TLaD and TBoGT, I finally got over it. Once I realized that death has no real consequences now.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I guess I'm weird because I'd rather just do a quick trip to ammunation and stock up than reload, haha.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Himuro posted:

I guess I'm weird because I'd rather just do a quick trip to ammunation and stock up than reload, haha.

In the PS2 games, it was often faster to just reload and drive from your safehouse to the mission than it was to drive from the hospital. It was even worse because you would lose your weapons and some money. It was really just a matter of saving time for me.

Vice City tried to solve it with that taxi that would take you back to the mission, but I doubt many people used it. Did they even include that in San Andreas? GTA4 solved all that though by letting you keep your weapons and restart a mission instantly.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

I used to use the taxi in Vice City.

Just sayin'.

poop
Jun 20, 2009

USER FOREVER BANNED FOR DOUBTING THE FOREVER BAN

Cojawfee posted:

Throughout the 3 era games, I was obsessed with having a zero death count. Not to mention that dying lost all your guns, So I reloaded all the time. This held over into IV. By the time I got into TLaD and TBoGT, I finally got over it. Once I realized that death has no real consequences now.

Yeah I was the same, except it went right through every single one since GTA3. I don't know what it is, but I just haven't ever purchased a gun in those games, it always felt like a waste if I could go find awesome ones hidden on the map.

Instead my money would just pile up and I never spent it on anything.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Shindragon posted:

The fact that Dwayne didn't even put up a fight and took the bullet to his head, I pretty much went okay gently caress that reload the chapter and kill Playboy instead.

His grandma attacking you with a bat (and almost killing me because I went in with low health like an idiot) was pretty funny though.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

I haven't bought a single gun in GTA4. I just rampage on the police and let them kill me. You can hide behind the corner near the stairs in the Boham safehouse and just headshot cops as they come in until you have all the ammo you'll ever need, then go upstairs and take a nap.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

First time through, I killed Dwayne because I hadn't realized that I could go kill Playboy and take his poo poo. It felt completely unsatisfying to just go in his apartment and shotgun him without a fight.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Well I felt bad for Dwayne. :(

There was also things like dating that woman from Middle Park East or wherever (well, Kate wasn't putting out :mad: ) and then reading her blog after each encounter. After a while she dumps you anyway.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
I used to buy weapons all the time in Vice City. One of my favorite things to do was go to the mall, buy weapons and start shooting everything in the mall while rebuying ammo / armor or food if needed. Then when I had 5 stars I would leave the mall and steal a tank and go on a rampage trough the city on my way to a garage where I would store the tank.

Also Vice City is the best GTA story wise, your character was actually a bad rear end and with the properties you actually had the idea you were running the town. Also it still had silly things, I loved finding a bike and when I sat on it be involved in some kind of stunt track over rooftops or the taxi jump after 100 passengers (not everything in GTA has to be useful) and such.

So I would love if this is a spiritual successor or hell just a modern day GTA:VC. GTA4 was fun, but yeah I prefer a more VC styled GTA.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Vice City was the best overall because it had the best atmosphere, best soundtrack, best story, and best game world (good variety, perfect size, I can do without hills). Pretty amazing they churned that out only a year after GTA3.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Count me in on the Playboy wasters. What kind of annoyed me was the mission where you have to choose between killing the irish cop and his thug brother sitting on the bench. I RPG'd them both because they were so insufferable but that failed the mission. MY IMMERSION!

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Everyone in that family was a pain. Well except Packie I guess, he was alright. Obviously he got the hell out of there at the end of the events in the GTAIV cycle.

Best side characters were Little Jacob and Yusuf and I guess the Kibbutz brothers once Mori pops up. Manny bridged the gap between funny/annoying - annoying enough that I didn't care what happened to him.

drat I want to go start up from the beginning again.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

commy gun posted:

I think what may have happened is a combination of the Housers getting a little older, wanting some artistic recognition, and wishing to avoid some of the former titles' controversies. The crybaby angle isn't that surprising when you look at today's mores. They probably just massaged the story that way to placate assorted meddlers like parents and that Jack The Lawyer sack of poo poo.

If they talked at all to people who've been in real, irregular, combat of the type that went down in Serbia in the '90s, they must know that Niko's behaviour makes no sense at all. But I suppose that actual realism instead of the weak-flavoured phoniness they opted for would have given them a lot of trouble with rating committees and related abominations.

Come to think of it, there should be either a dedicated Rockstar rating where anything goes, or a FYIPAG one - gently caress You I'm Playing A Game.

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Count me in on the Playboy wasters. What kind of annoyed me was the mission where you have to choose between killing the irish cop and his thug brother sitting on the bench. I RPG'd them both because they were so insufferable but that failed the mission. MY IMMERSION!

drat, I never thought of that. What happens then?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

You know when deciding to kill Playboy he runs out of his place and does this ACTION JUMP from his balcony to the roof of another building? One of the best things I ever saw in GTA IV was in an LP a couple of years back where they're about to go kill Playboy. All goes normally up until the cutscene, except the jump is too short and he falls down between the two buildings and does an amazingly hilarious scream on his way down while Niko just hangs in Playboy's apartment in cutscene mode. Mission accomplished. :shepface:

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Underflow posted:

drat, I never thought of that. What happens then?

Mission reset, try again. 'All you had to do was kill one of the drat brothers, Niko!'

I killed Playboy on my first playthrough, and when I replayed recently I killed Dwayne to see the different - and was disappointed. Both characters were kind of meh though.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
All you get for killing Dwayne is $25,000 but it's so late in the game you're already so loaded that money is trivial at that point. I wish you could change the radio station in Playboy's pad and play some pool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Played some GTAIV for the first time in a while and I still hate the car physics and wanted system. They are just awful.

I especially hate the two in combination with each other. Crappy boat physics, in the middle of a chase, try to handbrake to shake cops off, end up skidding into a building. Then I try to shake the cops off but can't because of the painful tedium caused by cop cars spawns and cops that are just as fast, if not faster, than me. Cue five minute car chase for a measly two stars.

I just get so frustrated because clearly I'm missing something that wouldn't make this whole process so annoying, but I never have fun with it. It doesn't help that the map is so ridiculously small, even on my hdtv.

I really like GTAIV, but then every time I try to play it something gets in the way of my enjoyment, either the slow, sluggish controls, or the lack of a modernized melee system, or the crappy car physics that makes every vehicle feel like a boat, to the fact the first 20-25 missions are nothing but tutorials, to the horrific wanted system.

Help me out here, goons. For the record, I'm playing on 360.

• Locked thread