Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Smegbot posted:

For QA as long as you're literate and aren't *mental* (see the previous list re. turning up outside offices, baked goods, etc) you should be able to find something. Most of the QA folk I've worked with were from Abertay.

Internships I think are starting to get more common up here, probably because there's so many students. The prototype fund startups might be worth keeping an eye on, one of the prerequisites for getting the cash is that they have to employ students.

Thanks, I'll keep a look out for any positions. I also might stand outside your window at night and scream "GOON SOLIDARITY" while playing Phil Collins songs on a boombox, tia!

Sigma-X posted:

e:

I don't know what this is but it's really funny.

Category Fun! fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
EDIT: ^^ That was Black Eagle's avatar for at least a little while. Might have been changed again - it's been changing a lot lately.

Diplomaticus posted:

Just sayin' Sigma-X...
I'm letting it slide - because that's some very interesting information, and I'd like to see Black Eagle's response.

We don't check credentials, but the implication here is that Black Eagle has been intentionally misrepresenting his experience and knowledge base to the thread. That's not so ok, in a thread all about giving advice to novices / sharing tips related to the industry. I do not want to see drama erupt over this. But I also want to make sure that the advice being given in this thread remains consistently good, and that this thread retains the value it's had over the years.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 29, 2011

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
I think it's worth calling out the people who namedrop and might take advantage of the inexperienced. Far too often I and my talent been straight up USED by skill-less lying fucks with "connections" simply because I didn't know what the gently caress.*

As Shalinor says it's a case of maintaining the thread's civility while maintaining it's integrity.

Incidentally as a warning to artists, if we can add to the OP the client-phrase "It'll be good for your portfolio" as code for "I am taking advantage of you because you are a stupid poor artist motherfucker and I know it."

Sigma-X posted:

I've worked with a number of folks who went to Full Sail. It's possible to attend and do just fine. However, their success is not a reflection of the school but rather their personal efforts, aptitudes, and self-education. These folks could have attended anywhere and done just as well or better.

Totally loving agreed. I graduated from the University of Teesside and all of the improvement that got me where I am occurred way after I finished even my Masters. Uni was great for a lot of things, but it was only a foundation, it was never ever on it's own going to get me straight into a job at Triple-A level.

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 29, 2011

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Anyone have some accessible yet useful Maya tutorials for beginners? I could use youtube or google...but I'm looking for something more trust-worthy.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

This may sound obvious but have you tried going through the help files and included tutorials? The 3DSMax ones I basically taught myself on were very thorough for basic learning-the-program type stuff.

I'll let someone more up on the current paid-tutorial site of the moment to contribute for more higher level stuff though.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Aliginge posted:

Incidentally as a warning to artists, if we can add to the OP the client-phrase "It'll be good for your portfolio" as code for "I am taking advantage of you because you are a stupid poor artist motherfucker and I know it."
There's... well, here.

Someone asked if I had any internships at GBG. I said no, and explained the laws surrounding internships, how you have to offer minimum wage and minimum standard of education / verifiable instruction, etc. She comes back, and explains that she's really looking for experience, and just really wants to help work on the project and get her name out there as an artist.

Am I supposed to turn that away? Because I'm not. We could really use the help, we're all unpaid anyways, and if she wants to come on to the team as a probationary jr member, equal to the rest of us in our non-existent standing, after I've made it clear that all we can offer her is credit and an offer letter if we hit revenue, the same as the rest of the team? Cool.

Do you see that as scummy? Or are you talking about another sort of thing?

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Shalinor posted:

There's... well, here.

Someone asked if I had any internships at GBG. I said no, and explained the laws surrounding internships, how you have to offer minimum wage and minimum standard of education / verifiable instruction, etc. She comes back, and explains that she's really looking for experience, and just really wants to help work on the project and get her name out there as an artist.

Am I supposed to turn that away? Because I'm not. We could really use the help, we're all unpaid anyways, and if she wants to come on to the team as a probationary jr member, equal to the rest of us in our non-existent standing, after I've made it clear that all we can offer her is credit and an offer letter if we hit revenue, the same as the rest of the team? Cool.

Excuse me if I'm talking out my rear end, but wouldn't it depend on the intentions of the team member? I.e. are you making your offer well known or using less-than-direct terminology to mislead this person? If it's the former, you're being upfront and honest about what you can offer them for their work. The latter? You're a manipulative rear end in a top hat.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Shalinor posted:

There's... well, here.

I think it's referring less to that situation, and more to a situation like a freelance artist looking for work, random dumbfuck offers them work and then says "I can't pay you/I can only pay you in second hand clothes/sandwiches/sexual favors, but it'll be GREAT FOR YOUR PORTFOLIO!"

Edit: Compared to say, someone approaching you and asking if you have work for them and you say you can't pay and they say they want the experience more than the money.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
So, I'm finally applying for a junior 2D Designer position, and I made up this laser-relevant portfolio of just my 2D stuff. Any criticisms/advice/etc.? I had some UnrealEd stuff and a few others, but the ad was specifically for 2D games so I left it out. As for the extreme :words: of the "Design Notes", that's in there because I overheard a local recruiter at GDC saying that when he looked for designers he wanted to know their entire thought process, why they did what they did and what led them to that decision and so on. It got pretty drat verbose, though, so I hid it behind a collapsible button in case they just wanted to skim the meat without the motivations. Good idea/bad idea?

Anyways, here it is: http://www.clubs.uci.edu/vgdc/blog/portfolio-ryan-sharpe

GetWellGamers fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 29, 2011

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Shalinor posted:

It's more depressing that is one of the ways you have to present yourself to get experience to get a job and you can't otherwise get past the experience barrier, but if she wants to work for free then that's a reflection of a lovely situation for her and the industry.

I'm more referring to "well connected" types swooping in like vultures on the kids that can't get work, claiming that by doing work for them for free it'll benefit the worker with the precious experience they can't get elsewhere. I see it all the time and it's made me develop a hatred for them.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Shalinor posted:

There's... well, here.

I'm a huge supporter of internships and I despise companies that abuse the lax enforcement of the US laws regarding internships, and I think that what you are describing is perfectly fine. Its when a company twiddles their mustache when an over eager student wants to "do anything just for some experience , seriously I'll work for free!" and they bring them on as free labor and exploit their naivety and energy and avoid having to actually hire someone and pay them. That scenario is scummy; what you're describing is bringing someone on as an equal with the understanding up front that the work is pro bono. Huge difference.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

mutata posted:

I'm a huge supporter of internships and I despise companies that abuse the lax enforcement of the US laws regarding internships, and I think that what you are describing is perfectly fine. Its when a company twiddles their mustache when an over eager student wants to "do anything just for some experience , seriously I'll work for free!" and they bring them on as free labor and exploit their naivety and energy and avoid having to actually hire someone and pay them. That scenario is scummy; what you're describing is bringing someone on as an equal with the understanding up front that the work is pro bono. Huge difference.
I think the big difference is that with the scummy internships, they're often treated as actual employees - they are expected to be in the office 8 hours a day, they're leaned on heavily to crunch, they're held accountable if they miss dates, etc. I want to say that was even part of the legal definition that required the minimum wage et al.

(obviously, we're not doing that)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Shalinor posted:

I think the big difference is that with the scummy internships, they're often treated as actual employees - they are expected to be in the office 8 hours a day, they're leaned on heavily to crunch, they're held accountable if they miss dates, etc. I want to say that was even part of the legal definition that required the minimum wage et al.

(obviously, we're not doing that)

Correct. As far as I understand the laws, in order for an internship to be legally unpaid, it must be academic, for credit, and not actually benefit the company directly. If its the kind of internship where you're just an employee and you are expected to produce, it needs to be paid. Intern just becomes an internal title at that point.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
The real question: If you're not paying them, are they getting academic credit apart from the "portfolio experience"?

(this is rhetorical btw, not aimed at anyone here specifically).

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sigma-X posted:

Could you perhaps elaborate on why you felt that was worthy of a resume item as "Recording Engineer?"
You've caused my personal friends a degree of stress today. That's simply not acceptable. Do you really want me to look into each and every aspect of your background? Do you really want me to fire off inquiries to your past employers? I can do that, if you so wish, and I'm reasonably certain they won't see me as a "stranger" sending them e-mails from "out of the blue."

For the record, I used "Recording Engineer" as a placeholder. The role of the "recording engineer" is fairly ambiguous, so I thought it was suitable at the time I used it. Andy has clarified to me that I'm properly "credited" under "Special Thanks". I've updated my LinkedIn profile to reflect that. Monaco is still in development and is currently being ported by my friends, [redacted], at Empty Clip Studios. Credits have not been implemented yet.

For everyone else, if you've worked or are working on a game that's currently in development, this should be a lesson to you: don't credit yourself before you receive the official credits. You never know which "weapon/vehicle artist" on a forum is going to lash out at you by sending e-mails to everyone he doesn't know to verify your LinkedIn profile.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Maide posted:

Sure! S2Games - Web Programmer (Everything in the realms of: Web-Based Tools, All Game to Database interactions, everything Web Sites, System Designs, and much, much more!)

I get to make the stuff no one out of the company ever sees/notices, if I'm doing it right! :unsmith:

Weren't you the one running that awesome HoN stats page a while ago? That was cool :unsmith:

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
:suspense: Oh snap Sigma he callin' you out. HE WILL FIND THE CGTEXTURE YOU USED ON A CERTAIN WEAPONoh wait everybody can use those without repercussions.

Black Eagle, some of your posts have been pretty interesting to read, but the name dropping has got to go (as previously stated). We get it, you're writing a book about big shot game developers and you have a vast belly full of insider info.

Sincerely,
[redacted] err... [redacted]...oh come on stupid self-censoring fingers.

In other news our marketing department just released this ridiculous video for Halloween. Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WBUCglnnCo

ceebee fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 29, 2011

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ceebee posted:

Black Eagle, some of your posts have been pretty interesting to read, but the name dropping has got to go (as previously stated). We get it, you're writing a book about big shot game developers and you have a vast belly full of insider info.
I run an association. I'm in the people business. I'm writing a book about people. Referencing your own chapters, which are named after the people they're about, is not name dropping. By the way, there are many other places I could go to talk about my book before it's out, but this is where I am. You've seen quotes from the book that nobody except my editors have seen. I'm sorry that I've been giving you exclusives. I'll stop.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

ceebee posted:

I'm writing text here to avoid emptyquoting because I have little else to add to this post besides my assent.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Black Eagle posted:

I run an association. I'm in the people business. I'm writing a book about people. Referencing your own chapters, which are named after the people they're about, is not name dropping. By the way, there are many other places I could go to talk about my book before it's out, but this is where I am. You've seen quotes from the book that nobody except my editors have seen. I'm sorry that I've been giving you exclusives. I'll stop.

I'm sure your intentions are good but how you do it makes you come off horribly vain when you do it here. So, please do stop. (Edit: or do it more casually)

ceebee fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 29, 2011

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
oooh talk it up love :munch: imagine this post in one of those really camp british voices in monty python

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
I'm the Tony Stark of video games.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

This thread just got really awkward :smith:

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
I work at a company that does pretty stuff and my pretty stuff is prettier than your pretty stuff. The end.

OR IS IT?!

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
Back to Full Sail chat: I am a grad from there as well. It is true as much as anywhere that there are those of us who have been quite successful and those who are not. One of the biggest issues they have now is their insistence on paying crap for teachers. When I went we had some amazing teachers from all over the industry. Then a lot left, I hired two of them at my company. Instead of finding replacements they just promoted lab instructors some of who were students with no experience.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ceebee posted:

I'm sure your intentions are good but how you do it makes you come off horribly vain when you do it here. So, please do stop.
I'm sorry that you feel that way, but I've never mentioned anyone without providing a story or context that was relevant to the topic at hand. Go back and look through any of my past posts where I've mentioned someone who I've interviewed for my book. Name dropping is when someone needlessly talks up how they know so-and-so for the sole purpose of self-promotion. I've never done that. Never. I ensure, with a great deal of awareness, that whenever I mention someone, I explicitly relate the reason why I've mentioned them and I ensure that reason has value to everyone reading this thread.

Empathy means putting yourself in another person's shoes. So, let's try that here. Let's say that you're developing a sports game. In fact, you work in the studio with athletes to capture their motions. You've talked to them about their lives, their careers, and you've shared a laugh or two. They've told you stories about what they learned in various events throughout their lives. Would you be "name dropping" if you shared those stories with other people? No, you wouldn't be, and no rational person would you think you were. I certainly wouldn't. I'd want to hear more, even if you were under a NDA.

Talking about other people, their experiences, and what we can learn from them is not name dropping. It's not "vain." It's what people do when they communicate something they learned from someone else in everyday conversations. Just because the people in my book are "big names" doesn't make them any less human. They've had ups and downs, trials and tribulations, and some have experienced almost a whole lifetime of hard lessons. They have stories to tell. I'm listening to and learning from them.

And you can, too. Everything I've related about their stories and then some will be available to read at the end of the year. They are not my stories that only I can tell. At a certain point, they're going to be publicly accessible, and readers of the book will talk about them. I suppose, at that time, if you truly believe that I'm name dropping, you'll think the same of everyone else.

But I won't share any more excerpts in this thread, if that's what you want. For anyone who's interested in following news about and getting excerpts from the book, we've put up an official website that will evolve as we get closer to release. The website also does some serious name dropping (i.e., the website lists the table of contents.)

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Dinurth posted:

My first "real" industry job was at Turbine(LOTRO) as a Senior Game Master for a short contract (about 4 months). Then I moved to Austin, TX and started as a Production Assistant at Midway. I was promoted to an Associate Producer after about 3 months there and worked until we got shut down in January of '09.

Lightbox moved to Austin in Sept. of that year and I opened the new studio with them. I've been here ever since - amazing people, great company, awesome game. Couldn't ask for much else (being located in downtown Austin doesn't hurt either).

EDIT: I've been meaning to do a "this is how I got into the industry" detailed post, but I just haven't had the time.

That is a great background. Care to describe a "typical" day if there is such a thing?

EgonSpengler posted:

Chat away! I'm a producer at Relic.

Very cool, what about your background? Always a producer or did you come from another discipline?

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
What the hell happened to my game jobs thread?!?!

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
Ninja edit: ^^^Sorry man (and sorry to Shalinor too). I'll shut up and let it die after this, but the sheer degree of wtf was a bit too much for me.

Black Eagle posted:

stuff

I really do hate bullshit drama like this, and I'm sad it's happened in this thread, but this:

Black Eagle posted:

I used "Recording Engineer" as a placeholder. The role of the "recording engineer" is fairly ambiguous, so I thought it was suitable at the time I used it. Andy has clarified to me that I'm properly "credited" under "Special Thanks".

You using "Recording Engineer" as a placeholder for "helped the audio department out" is just amazing to me. It doesn't matter whether that help involved equipment, or temp VO, or whatever else--the title is ambiguous only to the extent that it (and similar titles) can refer to a variety of engineers...guys with degrees and certification who are neck-deep in production and/or design the actual hardware.

Not knowing "the official credits" doesn't really cover that sort of leap, and it doesn't seem to me like you have a whole lot of room to be indignant.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

aas Bandit posted:

You using "Recording Engineer" as a placeholder for "helped the audio department out" is just amazing to me. It doesn't matter whether that help involved equipment, or temp VO, or whatever else--the title is ambiguous only to the extent that it (and similar titles) can refer to a variety of engineers...guys with degrees and certification who are neck-deep in production and/or design the actual hardware.

Not knowing "the official credits" doesn't really cover that sort of leap, and it doesn't seem to me like you have a whole lot of room to be indignant.
At the time, I wasn't thinking about what "recording engineer" meant in the game industry. Because I'm a musician, I was thinking about what "recording engineer" meant in the music industry and it varies a lot there. You don't need degrees in music or recording certifications to work as a recording engineer and most don't design any hardware. In the music business, it's often just another term for audio technician or any number of other support roles behind the glass; it's not a "significant production" role as there's usually more than one.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Black Eagle posted:

At the time, I wasn't thinking about what "recording engineer" meant in the game industry. Because I'm a musician, I was thinking about what "recording engineer" meant in the music industry and it varies a lot there. You don't need degrees in music or recording certifications to work as a recording engineer and most don't design any hardware. In the music business, it's often just another term for audio technician or any number of other support roles behind the glass; it's not a "significant production" role as there's usually more than one.

So in the music industry, "recording engineer" and "audio technician" are often used interchangeably, and "recording engineer" isn't a significant production role? Okay. I'm going to just quit here and go play some games.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
I like this thread but my eyes glaze over when the techie guys post stuff. C'mon let's talking about art stuff like rigging, animation, texturing, and modeling.

Any animators or artists do anything CRRRRAZY lately?

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

aas Bandit posted:

So in the music industry, "recording engineer" and "audio technician" are often used interchangeably, and "recording engineer" isn't a significant production role? Okay. I'm going to just quit here and go play some games.
I've seen people with "recording engineer" titles come in, adjust the microphones, and then they're done for the rest of the project. Recording engineers are undoubtedly important to projects, but like my work on Monaco, they're not always there every day, slaving away for thousands of hours trying to get everything just right. That's why it's not necessarily a "significant" role. In other cases, there's one or two or more engineers of various domains behind the glass every day. There's typically more than one type of engineer in the studio. There are engineers who specialize in mastering, who specialize in mixing, who specialize in live sound, etc.

Recording engineers predominantly record sound and that's what I was doing on Monaco when Andy needed to record voices. I provided the equipment, I set up the equipment, I configured the hardware's software, I troubleshooted software issues that were hindering the recording process, I solved impedance and feedback problems, I monitored the inputs, I instructed the actors (who were developers) on microphone best practices, and before then, I even did some playtesting. Andy said I'd be credited when I left that day, so when I came home, proud of what we accomplished, I placed "recording engineer" at the bottom of my LinkedIn profile. I never made anything more of it than what it was. This was more than several months before Andy won the Grand Prize at the IGF. Between the day I spent at his house and and the day he became an indie superstar, I asked him for the name of the credit, but obviously, there were events that consumed his attention and events that consumed mine. We forgot all about it until today.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Oh for gently caress's sake. I leave the drat thread for 2 hours, and this happens.

Somebody's getting a whuppin'

EDIT: Ok. Two slaps on wrist, and a a 1 day for a failed call-out. If this poo poo happens again, all those numbers start doubling. This used to be such a nice neighborhood :cry:

To be clear. If Sigma-X's calling out had got unanswered, unearthed some goony drama, that might have been entertaining enough to let slide - at the very least, it needed to be answered, rather than me just stomping in again. But we didn't need further drama. At this point, unless someone has a signed affidavit from John Romero himself stating that Black Eagle pissed in his cheerios, I pretty much don't want to hear about it. You want to fight, fine - do it outside the thread. Play nice in here.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 29, 2011

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Uh oh, dad's home! :ohdear:

To change the topic, and get more seasonally topical, anyone miss the good old days of easter eggs? Used to be that you'd get goofy easter eggs like custom textures on the holidays, certain entered names causing scenes to play differently, whole rooms put in just because one of the developers felt it'd be funny. Nowadays, with everything having to go through twelve levels of approval including marketing and demographics and blah blah blah it's like a develpoper with a neat idea for a cute easter egg has a snowball's chance in hell of getting anything not super-duper sanitized onto the actual disc. I mena, hell, in the original Starcraft one of the cheat codes referenced fanfiction for goodness sakes1, you think any game could do that today?

1: "Operation CWAL" was the title of a fanfic about some rabid blizzard fans breaking into blizzard to get to Starcraft before release. Stands for "Can't Wait Any Longer"."

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
I'm curious about your opinions on this.
It's been a couple years since I've updated my resume and decided to do it last night. Just to keep things current. A few years ago I worked on the pre-viz/production team for a pretty big game. It was a brand new engine and we had a ton of stuff to test and figure out. I spent about a year working on it and it was the only game I worked on that I didn't do any final art. Just placeholder objects and terrain, creating and setting up gameplay mechanics, and trying out new shaders to be used in the final game art. Really just beating the crap out of the engine before the game went into full production.

Long story short I don't work there anymore and the game came out last year minus my name in the credits. I don't know if I should include the game on my resume or not. On one hand I didn't do any of the final artwork or mechanics. But I did work on it for a year and nailed down a ton of problems before the rest of the team came on board and a couple of the design elements that I created to test out gameplay mechanics did make it into the final game, although reworked and polished by someone else.

So should I leave it off completely or include something like 'game name (pre-viz uncredited)". What do you guys think?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

SGT. Squeaks posted:

So should I leave it off completely or include something like 'game name (pre-viz uncredited)". What do you guys think?

If you worked on a game that came out there's no reason to not put it on your resume'. I know two games just for me that ar eon my resume' and I'm not in the manual. Just because someone goofed up an excel spreadsheet doesn't mean you didn't do the work and didn't learn anything. It's super-common and I'm pretty sure we had this discussion a little while back and everyone said the same thing: It happens all the time and so long as you're not making stuff up it won't ever be a problem.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
Yeah I enjoyed how the Dopefish easter egg in the new Deus Ex was a GIANT UNMISSABLE WALL in front of a quest objective. Sure dodged a scandal there.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

SGT. Squeaks posted:

I'm curious about your opinions on this.
It's been a couple years since I've updated my resume and decided to do it last night. Just to keep things current. A few years ago I worked on the pre-viz/production team for a pretty big game. It was a brand new engine and we had a ton of stuff to test and figure out. I spent about a year working on it and it was the only game I worked on that I didn't do any final art. Just placeholder objects and terrain, creating and setting up gameplay mechanics, and trying out new shaders to be used in the final game art. Really just beating the crap out of the engine before the game went into full production.

Long story short I don't work there anymore and the game came out last year minus my name in the credits. I don't know if I should include the game on my resume or not. On one hand I didn't do any of the final artwork or mechanics. But I did work on it for a year and nailed down a ton of problems before the rest of the team came on board and a couple of the design elements that I created to test out gameplay mechanics did make it into the final game, although reworked and polished by someone else.

If you have people who would give you a reasonably positive reference for the work you did there, absolutely you should put it on your resume. And I wouldn't even call it out as uncredited (although I would be clear that I didn't work for the entire product cycle on it). If they check up on your credits and ask about it, you can explain and give them a reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

GetWellGamers posted:

To change the topic, and get more seasonally topical, anyone miss the good old days of easter eggs? Used to be that you'd get goofy easter eggs like custom textures on the holidays, certain entered names causing scenes to play differently, whole rooms put in just because one of the developers felt it'd be funny. Nowadays, with everything having to go through twelve levels of approval including marketing and demographics and blah blah blah it's like a develpoper with a neat idea for a cute easter egg has a snowball's chance in hell of getting anything not super-duper sanitized onto the actual disc. I mena, hell, in the original Starcraft one of the cheat codes referenced fanfiction for goodness sakes1, you think any game could do that today?
Yeah :/

Game budgets and team sizes have pretty much killed the art of the easter egg in AAA games. It's one of the reasons I really, really love indie games - there's still room there for less sanitized content that has actual character to it.