Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Like Vykk said, if only you would've asked. I thought everyone knew the G+ leak was tied to the forthcoming People app and caused constant crashes when installed.

I'd posted at least once here and in the old OS thread :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Widgetlocker question here. I noticed that, when rebooting, Widgetlocker only loads after the phone checks the sd card. The phone boots, I get the stock lockscreen and only after the SD is prepped does the Widgetlocker lockscreen show up. It would seem like the app is installed on the card, but the Manage Applications menu doesn't list it on the 'sd card' tab, so I have no idea what's going on.

Maybe this is just the way it works and I shouldn't question the android gods?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
I want to be able to move video files from my computer to my WiFi Xoom without having to plug it in to my computer.

Is there an app that will let me do this?

(I'm testing Qloud and Emit for streaming at home, but I'm going out of town this weekend, and I realized it would be useful to not have to plug my Xoom in anytime I wanted to copy a file over).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Ozmodiar posted:

I want to be able to move video files from my computer to my WiFi Xoom without having to plug it in to my computer.

(I'm testing Qloud and Emit for streaming at home, but I'm going out of town this weekend, and I realized it would be useful to not have to plug my Xoom in anytime I wanted to copy a file over).

ES File Explorer will. Click menu - show tabs, click the LAN tab, click on your PC, find files, copy files, paste files onto your phone.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

ES File Explorer will. Click menu - show tabs, click the LAN tab, click on your PC, find files, copy files, paste files onto your phone.

Anything that will let me share only specific folders that you need a username/password to access?

I don't really want my roommates mooching a bunch of stuff off my hard drives, so I don't share anything publicly on the network...

I really like Qloud's setup - I tell it which folders to share, and I need a username&password to even access the Qloud server.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Just use Windows directory security - no need for a separate app

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Ozmodiar posted:

Anything that will let me share only specific folders that you need a username/password to access?

I don't really want my roommates mooching a bunch of stuff off my hard drives, so I don't share anything publicly on the network...

Despite the fact that I only have a small number of folders shared, ES can access every file on every drive of my PC. I don't know how it works, but I assume I put my username and password in there at some point, so you should be safe (unless they use your phone).

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

seravid posted:

Widgetlocker question here. I noticed that, when rebooting, Widgetlocker only loads after the phone checks the sd card. The phone boots, I get the stock lockscreen and only after the SD is prepped does the Widgetlocker lockscreen show up. It would seem like the app is installed on the card, but the Manage Applications menu doesn't list it on the 'sd card' tab, so I have no idea what's going on.

Maybe this is just the way it works and I shouldn't question the android gods?

well its not loading from the SD card. Its just a coincidence that the SD card loads before widget locker or other applications on boot

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

Ozmodiar posted:

Both Qloud and Emit will do that. So will Plex. You need to make sure you have the correct ports opened on your router and either a static IP or something like DynDNS IP updater. If this sounds confusing, it's probably way more work than you can handle before the weekend.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Shameless plug for a live wallpaper I worked on based on this recent feature request:
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=20386

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.powerje.nyan
Code is available as well: https://github.com/powerje/NyanDroid

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

I'd posted at least once here and in the old OS thread :(
Actually if you hit the question mark button under your name, you'll see that you didn't mention it here but I did see it in the old thread:

hooah posted:

I still can't get my Evo 3D to run the People application, and it's really starting to piss me off. Is there any way I can try to fix it short of a factory restore? Or are there alternate contacts-managing application? Or should I just take the drat thing in to Sprint and say "fix it"?
I try to pick up all the easy questions I see getting passed over but that was just too vague of a description. Either that or my eyes just glaze over when I hit particular words referring to things I know little or nothing about, like "Sense" or CDMA terms since I figure someone more knowledgeable is likely to answer it better than I could.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
edit: I'm a mean person.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

You wasted your time and energy to make a wallpaper based on a dumb internet meme.

How will he ever cure cancer now. The human race is doomed

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Crap. You caught me. OK I'll admit, that was mean. I"M SORRY!

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

hooah posted:

Holy poo poo, you're amazing. I've been dealing with that bug for something like 2 weeks. I even tried a factory reset, but since all I knew was that HTC's People app was crashing, I didn't have a lot to go on. You just made me a little less insane.

Now I feel a bit dumb, I ended up doing a warranty replacement on my phone because of the acore crash. Though I'm kind of glad I did seeing as my buttons were creaky and my warranty is up next week anyway, so it was a good excuse to replace my phone. I don't know why I didn't think to ask here first, though.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
Is it normal for the Beautiful Widgets Home Weather widget to refuse to change the weather font? I cannot figure out how to change it manually, and downloaded skins do not display the font that they do in the skin preview (for the weather portion, the clock portion usually works fine).

Normal
Oct 31, 2004
I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.
I am looking for a "sleep app" that would do the following things:

1. Set my incoming call tone to loud, all other notifications to silent
2. Auto-reply to text messages with something like "Asleep. Call if urgent."

Any ideas?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Normal posted:

I am looking for a "sleep app" that would do the following things:

1. Set my incoming call tone to loud, all other notifications to silent
2. Auto-reply to text messages with something like "Asleep. Call if urgent."

Any ideas?

Tasker can do this and more.

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Glimm posted:

Shameless plug for a live wallpaper I worked on based on this recent feature request:
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=20386

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.powerje.nyan
Code is available as well: https://github.com/powerje/NyanDroid

Did you get PRGuitarman's permission to make this?

EDIT: got my signals crossed; thought Live Wallpaper had actual Nyan Cat sprite as an option. :sweatdrop:

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 29, 2011

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Footboy posted:

Constitutes fair use.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm willing to bet this issue is app-related, but god help me if I can figure out which one.

When I get a call and answer it, I get a mechanical-sounding voice that says:

"You have a call from PERSON NAME. Press 1 to answer or 2 to send to voicemail."

When I swipe to answer, that means I want to answer the call, not end up at a voice menu that asks me to confirm my decision.

I recently upgraded my Evo 4g to Cyanogen Mod 7.1, but I answered two or three calls with CM 7.1 before this behavior started, so I doubt that was it. I've trolled through a bunch of menus in various apps but haven't found any options that seem related to the problem.

Any ideas, guys?

I also have a persistent problem I've dubbed the "phantom voicemail." I've had this one for well over a year now. It's been awhile since I posted about it, so maybe someone will know this time.

My phone insists I have a voicemail. I do not, on either Sprint's voicemail or google voice. Nevertheless, I get a notification for a new voicemail several times a day. Anyone know what is going on?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Footboy posted:

EDIT: got my signals crossed; thought Live Wallpaper had actual Nyan Cat sprite as an option. :sweatdrop:

I actually had no idea where this meme initially came from, went ahead and mentioned PRGuitarman in the app description.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm willing to bet this issue is app-related, but god help me if I can figure out which one.

"You have a call from PERSON NAME. Press 1 to answer or 2 to send to voicemail."

When I swipe to answer, that means I want to answer the call, not end up at a voice menu that asks me to confirm my decision.

I recently upgraded my Evo 4g to Cyanogen Mod 7.1, but I answered two or three calls with CM 7.1 before this behavior started, so I doubt that was it. I've trolled through a bunch of menus in various apps but haven't found any options that seem related to the problem.

Any ideas, guys?

I also have a persistent problem I've dubbed the "phantom voicemail." I've had this one for well over a year now. It's been awhile since I posted about it, so maybe someone will know this time.

My phone insists I have a voicemail. I do not, on either Sprint's voicemail or google voice. Nevertheless, I get a notification for a new voicemail several times a day. Anyone know what is going on?
Sounds like you're having problems with a Sprint voicemail even though you're using Google Voice. I'd disable Sprint/GVoice integration on the GVoice desktop page, leave yourself a Sprint voicemail (from another phone), delete it, then re-enable GVoice integration.

Regarding the "press 1..." call screening, you can set it to off under GVoice setting under Calls. If you leave it on, you can use a feature called ListenIn where you can listen in as they leave a voicemail or join into the call.

http://www.google.com/support/voice/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=115083

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
So I want to start subscribing to some blogs to read on my tablet.

How do I do this, exactly? I was guessing Google Reader, but I hear that is being "rolled into Google+" or something?

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

the posted:

So I want to start subscribing to some blogs to read on my tablet.

How do I do this, exactly? I was guessing Google Reader, but I hear that is being "rolled into Google+" or something?

It's still separate, they are just adding g+ features the same way they did starring/buzz integration. Just different buttons to ignore.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

Any ideas, guys?
I do know what this is but I'm having trouble finding it. Is it an Accessibility thing? Like TalkBack or something.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My Widgetlocker battery info says 100% all the time. It's not really a big deal because it's hidden until I touch the clock but does anybody else have this problem?

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

explosivo posted:

My Widgetlocker battery info says 100% all the time. It's not really a big deal because it's hidden until I touch the clock but does anybody else have this problem?

Yeah it's doing the same behavior on mine too. Evo 3D.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

explosivo posted:

Same here.

Galaxy s 2

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Geekner posted:

It's still separate, they are just adding g+ features the same way they did starring/buzz integration. Just different buttons to ignore.

So what's the best Google Reader app?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

the posted:

Google Reader.

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.
Hey, is there a way to quickly enable/disable Widgetlocker, like through a widget or something?

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
Wanted to mention a couple of apps:

ezPDF - Hands down the best pdf viewer for Android.

Perfect Viewer - Mentioned before, but a great CBZ/CBR/etc.. comic reader.

Movies by Flixster - Favorite app to find local movies theaters, show times and trailers.

Network Info II - Lots of great info about your active cell, wifi, etc.. connections.

Fing - Network Tools - Very fast network discovery/scanner info tool, includes tools for Ping, Traceroute, TCP scanner, DNS lookup, WOL and a few other useful tools.

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 31, 2011

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus

the posted:

Feedly

It took me a little while to get used to it, but it's hands down the best RSS reader I've come across. Integrates seamlessly with Google Reader. I even started using their Chrome app after getting hooked on the Android version.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I'll put in a vote for Feedly, too. I had been using Pulse, but Feedly works much better for me. It's also one if the most beautiful apps to look at.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Feedly looks pretty, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to remove the pre-installed feeds. Any help?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Aatrek posted:

Feedly looks pretty, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to remove the pre-installed feeds. Any help?

I installed this app just to figure this out because I figured you were missing something glaringly obvious.

I think they left that feature out.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Aatrek posted:

Trying it now, I think you uncheck the essentials option in settings then close/reopen.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
That didn't seem to do much. Oh well. Pulse is pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

the posted:

I use JustReader on my tablet; it's pretty clean and easy to use. Otherwise, the official Google Reader app is OK too, as is Newsr, which of the three is the only one to have three panes in landscape view.

On my phone I just use the official Google Reader app.

• Locked thread