Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Garbo
May 30, 2011
Well, since nobody else did I went ahead and made us all a Gold Rush thread for all of our dumb miner needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Dammit. How did I end up here.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 29, 2011

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You know, this is actually a really interesting episode of Mythbusters. I thought it was going to be one of those garbage clip shows and instead we're getting some interesting behind the scenes stuff.

Edit: For example, them talking about how the only reason they did elephant vs mouse was because they were already in Africa doing the shark stuff and had some time to kill because of a hurricane.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 10, 2011

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Is this the thread where people will care about Vietnam in HD on History channel, because holy loving poo poo ep2 was on tonight and oh my god...

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

muscles like this? posted:

You know, this is actually a really interesting episode of Mythbusters.

I found it interesting too. I didn't even realize that Jamie and Adam shot at a completely different location than Kari, Grant and Tory, which makes a lot more sense in hindsight.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Aw, the TiVo didn't grab this. Is it ever going to be rerun, or was it a one-off special?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Woz My Neg rear end posted:

Aw, the TiVo didn't grab this. Is it ever going to be rerun, or was it a one-off special?

It's Discovery, it's going to reair 900 times, the first of which is probably right about now.

And this was the first episode of Mythbusters I have found truly interesting in years.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Cygni posted:

Is this the thread where people will care about Vietnam in HD on History channel, because holy loving poo poo ep2 was on tonight and oh my god...

Do we have a History Channel thread? We should have one. The shows are similar enough to Discovery, I don't see why they shouldn't be the same thread.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Teek posted:

I found it interesting too. I didn't even realize that Jamie and Adam shot at a completely different location than Kari, Grant and Tory, which makes a lot more sense in hindsight.

Yeah, that was kind of weird how they've never really mentioned that before. I also thought the reveal of why it was called "M5" was pretty funny. Another shocking thing was seeing all those old clips and how skinny Jamie used to be.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I also liked hearing about how they kept getting kicked out of the various industrial parks they rented space in.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
My favorite part was the 3 or so scenes of entire parts of old Myths that they never put into the actual episodes. I bet they've got tons of those lying around for various reasons.

Also, I saw this this past Sunday on Canadian Discovery when it was brand new, apparently they might not be inexplicably arriving 2 months late anymore! That said, the remixed music is a downgrade! Stupid atonal Dandy Warhols

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Glen Goobersmooches posted:

My favorite part was the 3 or so scenes of entire parts of old Myths that they never put into the actual episodes. I bet they've got tons of those lying around for various reasons.

Especially goofy was the "real" ending to Dump truck dynamite.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Teek posted:

I can't believe that I never noticed how the M5 seemed to get progressively bigger. M5 is always narrow and I amazed how I didn't pick up on the fact that the build team was always in a gigantic space in comparison.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Not surprised they gave the build team their own building - even Jamie and Adam can't stand being around them :haw:

I've always said that the best mythbusters episodes were the behind the scenes one, and the latest episode just continued the trend.

More behind the scenes, less crappy youtube video myths :argh:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Not surprised they gave the build team their own building - even Jamie and Adam can't stand being around them :haw:

You know, I never really payed much attention but I just realized that you very rarely see the entire team in the same room anymore. It's usually just Jamie and Adam or just the Build Team. But the few times you see them all together they seem to get along same as ever, but that could just be because they hardly see each other.

Also, I like Grant but watching the latest behind the scenes special made me nostalgic for the days when they still had good myths and the Build Team was still Tory, Scottie and Kari. Not knocking Grant, I think he just had the rotten luck of joining the show right around the time it started getting stale.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

FogHelmut posted:

Do we have a History Channel thread? We should have one. The shows are similar enough to Discovery, I don't see why they shouldn't be the same thread.

There is one somewhere. They could be easily combined. Between the three people still watching Mythbusters, and you, me and maybe some other guy randomly watching Ice Road Truckers, we might see 5 posts a week.

FiTreDawG
Oct 7, 2006
We Are... Marshall

Tewratomeh posted:

You know, I never really payed much attention but I just realized that you very rarely see the entire team in the same room anymore. It's usually just Jamie and Adam or just the Build Team. But the few times you see them all together they seem to get along same as ever, but that could just be because they hardly see each other.

Also, I like Grant but watching the latest behind the scenes special made me nostalgic for the days when they still had good myths and the Build Team was still Tory, Scottie and Kari. Not knocking Grant, I think he just had the rotten luck of joining the show right around the time it started getting stale.

I think Grant got tasked and forced into the role of "build a ridiculous contraption" guy. Initially when he came around I was always amazed at his knowledge and capabilities at rigging electronics, etc. It was the perfect pairing with Jamie and Adam's skill set (common sense building and design). It seemed like as time went on, they just took Grant and said "put blades on this thing and make them spin" or "go blow this thing up". Disappointing because he was always my fav build team member until Bad Mythbusters started rearing its head about 2-3 seasons ago.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I hope you're all watching this show on National Geographic about some fat douchebag who takes medieval fair jousting way too seriously. 2 hours of rooting for people to get mangled on your TV.

It's a show about this group in Texas who joust at the medieval fair circuit and want to become the world champions of jousting or something.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

I hope you're all watching this show on National Geographic about some fat douchebag who takes medieval fair jousting way too seriously. 2 hours of rooting for people to get mangled on your TV.

It's a show about this group in Texas who joust at the medieval fair circuit and want to become the world champions of jousting or something.

I saw bits and pieces of it. The one guy reminded me of a young version of the tweeked out dude who runs Micro Championship Wrestling.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Luigi Thirty posted:

That show is loving awesome if you skip everything but the jousting parts. I've see every episode for some reason and it's definitely pretty hardcore. It would be cooler if they used period correct lances but either way i dvr it every week.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Just saw a promo for the new season of Dirty Jobs. It starts this coming Tuesday at 9.

Also, the latest season of Deadliest Catch is up on Nextflix Watch Instantly too.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Did anybody catch Weed Wars this week? I just saw a commercial for it, looks interesting but I wonder whether they'll portray it as a legitimate business or "Haha these people are soo high!"

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

explosivo posted:

Did anybody catch Weed Wars this week? I just saw a commercial for it, looks interesting but I wonder whether they'll portray it as a legitimate business or "Haha these people are soo high!"

Didn't catch that but caught a promo for "Moonshiners". So is Discovery getting all reality shows on illegal substances out of the way this month?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Just heard on local Sacramento news that a cannon ball being used by Mythbusters was somehow fired into a residential home in Dublin CA, which I believe is near one of the ranges they used to test their dangerous stuff.

Loretta Trampface
Sep 12, 2006

by T. Finninho

cheese posted:

Just heard on local Sacramento news that a cannon ball being used by Mythbusters was somehow fired into a residential home in Dublin CA, which I believe is near one of the ranges they used to test their dangerous stuff.
Uh-oh. I wonder which crew that was with. I hope to god we get to see Jamie's reaction if he was there. I think about the only time you see him on the show having a fit is when something goes wrong in the safety division.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
I feel like a lot of the WACKY JOB or REDNECKS ARE SO HOT RIGHT NOW shows on the Discovery family of channels would make legitimately interesting specials or mini-series, but trying to milk an entire series out of these single concepts makes them less entertaining in addition to crowding out programming that's actually educational.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Crisco Kid posted:

I feel like a lot of the WACKY JOB or REDNECKS ARE SO HOT RIGHT NOW shows on the Discovery family of channels would make legitimately interesting specials or mini-series, but trying to milk an entire series out of these single concepts makes them less interesting in addition to crowding out programming that's actually educational.

Yeah, the Discovery special on crab fisherman that aired years ago was a million times better than any reality show, though I believe a goon pointed out the same production company ended up making "Deadliest Catch".

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Crisco Kid posted:

I feel like a lot of the WACKY JOB or REDNECKS ARE SO HOT RIGHT NOW shows on the Discovery family of channels would make legitimately interesting specials or mini-series, but trying to milk an entire series out of these single concepts makes them less entertaining in addition to crowding out programming that's actually educational.

History Channel produced a pretty good 2-hour special on moonshiners a couple years ago.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Loretta Trampface posted:

Uh-oh. I wonder which crew that was with. I hope to god we get to see Jamie's reaction if he was there. I think about the only time you see him on the show having a fit is when something goes wrong in the safety division.

Hmm, I wonder which crew

Betting we never see that myth hit the air. Although in fairness if I were them I would be deathly afraid that I just murdered someone.

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

cheese posted:

Oh wow when I read it before they didn't have a lot of details and made it sound like it just kind of bounced through a window, but now they've updated the article with a picture of a gaping hole in the side of the house and apparently it went completely through the house and hit a minivan on the other side.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
You know, if a cannonball put a perfect six inch hole in my wall, I wouldn't fix it, I'd make it into a tiny window and put a picture frame around it and tell everyone.

Gawker has a few more details on what went happened:

quote:

The cannonball was supposed to blast through an array of water barrels and a cinderblock wall. Supposed to. Instead it hit the wall, a hill, a house, and Jasbir Gill's Toyota Sienna. Now do you see why they tell you not to try this at home?

The accident occurred Tuesday afternoon at an Alameda County Police bomb range adjacent to Santa Rita Jail, about a half mile outside of Dublin. The gun had lifted slightly from its intended position just before it fired, putting the steel round over the water barrels, off the hillside, and 700 yards East. There it bounced through the front door of a home, up the front stairs, through a bedroom—past a sleeping family—out the wall, over a six-lane road, and on through the van's front passenger window. Nobody was injured, though Gill was understandably peeved. "I'm angry and lucky to be alive. Anybody could have been hit by this," he told the San Francisco Chronicle.

Ferret Faucet
Feb 18, 2011

by I Ozma Myself

Gorilla Salad posted:

You know, if a cannonball put a perfect six inch hole in my wall, I wouldn't fix it, I'd make it into a tiny window and put a picture frame around it and tell everyone.

Gawker has a few more details on what went happened:

Holy gently caress that's terrifying. I love the Mythbusters, and I'm sure they had experts that guided this experiment, but holy poo poo it's terribly irresponsible to fire a cannon within a kilometer of residences.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Ferret Faucet posted:

Holy gently caress that's terrifying. I love the Mythbusters, and I'm sure they had experts that guided this experiment, but holy poo poo it's terribly irresponsible to fire a cannon within a kilometer of residences.

I'm pretty sure they've done it a dozen times at this point.

Ferret Faucet
Feb 18, 2011

by I Ozma Myself

ToastyPotato posted:

You see I fired the revolver at my head five times. HOW WAS I TO KNOW?!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

For some reason I thought a bomb range wouldn't be right next to a bunch of houses and a major roadway but I guess not.

Shame we won't ever get to see the idiot build team's "oh poo poo" faces when the cannonball goes flying off the bomb range.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ferret Faucet posted:

It sounds like they *were* more than a kilometer from the residences (it doesn't say the distance to the barrels or to the hill) and this happened thanks to a freak ricochet.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Seriously just end that show. Once you somehow manage to put a goddamn cannonball through someone's home and across 4 lanes of traffic (amazingly without hurting anyone), you need to shut things down.

IRQ posted:

For some reason I thought a bomb range wouldn't be right next to a bunch of houses and a major roadway but I guess not.

A lot of ranges like that are often just old quarries and such. It's usually not so much their distance from anything as it is their depth.

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

ToastyPotato posted:

At one point there was a quote from the sheriff's department saying they'd fired the cannon at least 50 times before without incident.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

DJExile posted:

Seriously just end that show. Once you somehow manage to put a goddamn cannonball through someone's home and across 4 lanes of traffic (amazingly without hurting anyone), you need to shut things down.
If you're a boring coward with no guts or balls, sure! Insurance exists for a reason.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's a revitalizing throwback to the old days, before the show got stuck doing "Is this movie stunt real?" and "Hey guys make your own version of this youtube meme."

• Locked thread