Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

3 posted:

All the cool kids are doing microspace fleets, and I've never actually built in micro before, so I figured I might as well get in on that action.

Click for flickr set!

The fleet consists of fighter-sized Deepeye-class jumplabs, a bunch of purpose-built destroyers based on a modular Dagger-class chassis, and the big 'ol VS-04 Musashi acting as flagship and also showing off my intense love for ring sections on ships.

Would you consider doing some LDD work for $$?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

KingFisher posted:

Would you consider doing some LDD work for $$?

That would be fantastic. I love money as much as I love LEGO.

IonClash
Feb 27, 2007

Just picked these up at Target. Can't wait a month!

IonClash fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 29, 2011

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

IonClash posted:

Just picked these up at Target. Can't wait a month!

I don't wait. :ssh:

When I went to BrickCon earlier this month, there was a dealer who apparently bought like 10 of the SW Advent sets, assembled the microships, and was selling them for like $6 each.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

3 posted:

Wait a second...money can be used to buy Lego! :aaaaa:

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

3 posted:

How is the best way to get in touch?
I have PM's email most IM clients

check my profile for contact details

I am thinking of commission a series of minifig space ships/rockets based on existing and proposed hardware.

I would furthermore pay to have determine the most cost effective way of acquiring the pieces for said sets.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

KingFisher posted:

How is the best way to get in touch?

Don't have plat, so email's your best bet. You can buzz me at ed.coli (at) gmail.com. Also, I love near-future space stuff and I'm a huge sucker for feasible spaceflight tech in general so this sounds right up my alley.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Man, I wish Lego would release Basic Bricks sets with only one-stud-wide pieces, maybe some slopes and curved pieces too.

I guess it's not that much of a hazzle to buy from Pick A Brick or Bricklink, it would just be a lot more convenient to buy a box with a ready made assortment.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

InfinEight posted:

Found this today and was pretty impressed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFjREmhAAOQ

It's always amazing to see a creative idea in action and this is one of those things that makes me go "drat, I wanna try that."

Oh yeah, good old screwtank. If you could make the screwdrums hollow and watertight it works on water, as well. Not really the most efficient drive system, but it is crazy versatile so long as you keep it to a soft surface like snow or turf.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Pyroclastic posted:

I don't wait. :ssh:

When I went to BrickCon earlier this month, there was a dealer who apparently bought like 10 of the SW Advent sets, assembled the microships, and was selling them for like $6 each.

There was a guy doing that at NYCC, too. Dick move.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Karma Tornado posted:

There was a guy doing that at NYCC, too. Dick move.

"If people want to produce poor representations of my work and other people want to buy them, they deserve each other." - Salvador Dali

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009
Hey guys. I've read several pages of this thread, and for some reason this thread has given me the Lego bug again.

I'm also wondering about this whole "Buy two copies, let one appreciate" strategy. I've noticed that (as people in this thread have noted repeatedly) the prices on eBay are generally much higher than on BrickLink, but I've still noticed a pretty big premium over MSRP on brand new, sealed sets that are even a few years old.

My question is: Do people actually pay these prices, though? For example, if you had (just picking any one at random off BrickLink) a brand new Skeleton Tower in a sealed box, could you predict getting $200+ eventually? Or do those listings just sit there forever?

I'm not that interested in the profit side of it, I'm interested in the offset-the-cost-of-building-awesome-castles side.

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

internetstuff posted:

My question is: Do people actually pay these prices, though? For example, if you had (just picking any one at random off BrickLink) a brand new Skeleton Tower in a sealed box, could you predict getting $200+ eventually? Or do those listings just sit there forever?
I think they mostly sit there forever. Collectors are usually savvy enough to wait until they spot a bargain, and anyone wanting to actually make the set can get one in poorer condition or just buy the rarer parts separately.

I have bought complete sets off Bricklink, but they've mostly been polybags or other small sets where adding them to a Bricklink order was cheaper than paying postage to buy them separately.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

internetstuff posted:

Hey guys. I've read several pages of this thread, and for some reason this thread has given me the Lego bug again.

I'm also wondering about this whole "Buy two copies, let one appreciate" strategy. I've noticed that (as people in this thread have noted repeatedly) the prices on eBay are generally much higher than on BrickLink, but I've still noticed a pretty big premium over MSRP on brand new, sealed sets that are even a few years old.

I'm not that interested in the profit side of it, I'm interested in the offset-the-cost-of-building-awesome-castles side.

You can check on the last 6 months of BL sales to get an idea. Skeleton Tower has sold a half-dozen times in 6 months for an average of 4x retail price new in sealed box. A bit under 3x MSRP for open and used (prices for used can vary depending on if anything's missing).
You'll notice that no New sets sold in October, despite there being a dozen listed from $100 to $300.

But compare it to, say, the Imperial Landing Craft from the same year. Same price, 100 more pieces, and its average new price is only 150% MSRP. The Service Station from the City Line is 2x MSRP. The Alien Mothership from the Mars Mission line was $50 at release, and despite having only sold two lots and having 4 available on BL, isn't selling for much beyond its original price.

And then you get to factor in increased knowledge of this phenomenon. People are starting to realize that high-end sets can be investments, which means more people are buying them as such, which means their value will stay low when they're sold later. The number of people that will spend $1500 on a single Lego set is pretty small, so when you have hundreds of people buying multiples hoping to make a tidy profit 5 years down the road...

I doubt you wouldn't make a profit on sealed sets in the future, but expecting them to pay for your Lego habit entirely by themselves is probably a mistake. Especially when that profit is years down the line.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Just ordered my star Wars advent calendar and eagerly awaiting its arrival. It'll help the awfulness of finals week, at least.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I am thinking of also getting a spare set or two, but my rule currently is only buy em when they are alot less than MSRP and also not to buy anything that I wouldn't mind opening in a few years if the prices dont go up.

Pyro: do you know how to limit the sales to particular regions / countries?

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009
Thanks for the info. Fantasy Era sets go up in price because ... They're awesome. Why do you think I was looking at them all night on BrickLink and Brickset? Dwarves, orcs, trolls, dragons?! In MY Lego?!

I've got my fingers crossed that somewhere down the line they revisit the fantasy theme with Fantasy Era 2.0 or something.

E: One more question. What's up with the official Lego "Product Collections" -- Are they ever a good deal if there's something *cough Castle* that you really like and decide you want to be a completest about?

E again: What the heck is Ninjago? I thought, at first, that it was sort of a Japan/Samurai themed set. I clicked it on Brickset and, lo and behold, I see "spinning tops" and like .. giant monster trucks, and stuff? What's it supposed to BE?

internetstuff fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 31, 2011

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Ika posted:

I am thinking of also getting a spare set or two, but my rule currently is only buy em when they are alot less than MSRP and also not to buy anything that I wouldn't mind opening in a few years if the prices dont go up.

Pyro: do you know how to limit the sales to particular regions / countries?

In the price guide? Looks like the best way to do that is to click the Group by Currency button.

internetstuff posted:

I've got my fingers crossed that somewhere down the line they revisit the fantasy theme with Fantasy Era 2.0 or something.

E: One more question. What's up with the official Lego "Product Collections" -- Are they ever a good deal if there's something *cough Castle* that you really like and decide you want to be a completest about?

E again: What the heck is Ninjago? I thought, at first, that it was sort of a Japan/Samurai themed set. I clicked it on Brickset and, lo and behold, I see "spinning tops" and like .. giant monster trucks, and stuff? What's it supposed to BE?

I'd guess we'll have a few years with the normal medieval sets before they cycle the line back into Fantasy, since it seemed to be pretty popular.
The Collections don't seem to be particularly good deals on shop.lego.com. You save like $3 on the Harry Potter collection and nothing on the PotC or SW ones. I don't see any Complete Collections on the site except maybe that Hero Factory one.

Ninjago is...dragon-riding ninja versus biker skeletons, or something. Combined with Beyblade and...a CCG? I think they wanted to experiment with several different concepts, and instead of trying each concept with its own line, threw it all in as one grand experiment in a ridiculous, over-the-top line. Picture it...they felt it was time to bring back ninjas when they were phasing out the fantasy line. Someone had an idea for bringing skeleton armies to Fantasy, but it was too late to incorporate them. Someone said "Hey, the Ninjas need enemies, don't they?" Then the Ninjas get their dragon mounts while someone mulls over what the skeletons should have. Skeleton dragons? Skeleton monsters? Then someone says "Skeleton cars!" and Ninjago is born. And then someone else says "Hey, what about that pokemon thing? It's still popular." "And those combat top toys!" "Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Ninjago!"

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
And the kids love it. I have a friend who works for TRU here in Aus and he tells me they are like crack for kids.

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

MaliciousOnion posted:

And the kids love it. I have a friend who works for TRU here in Aus and he tells me they are like crack for kids.
Yeah, I get the impression that Ninjago is almost as much of a phenomenon as Bionicle - and Bionicle saved LEGO from going bust. And while it's not a popular line with AFOLs, it's a bit more useful than Bionicle. Some of the sets have interesting parts and colours, and some of the figures are nice as long as you don't pay the premium for the spinners.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Dame Cook posted:

Yeah, I get the impression that Ninjago is almost as much of a phenomenon as Bionicle - and Bionicle saved LEGO from going bust. And while it's not a popular line with AFOLs, it's a bit more useful than Bionicle. Some of the sets have interesting parts and colours, and some of the figures are nice as long as you don't pay the premium for the spinners.

Huh, I never got the impression Ninjago was that popular, at least in my area. The sets and cards and poo poo seem to shelf-warm.
I originally thought there was more to the spinners. Like a zip-cord mechanism or something. Nope, just die-cast metal with some lego bits attached.

Has anyone seen them used in a MOC yet?

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow
Just had my birthday. Combined with an explosion in disposable income, this has led to a huge influx of Lego purchases the last few weeks.

First I got the technic Mini Mobile crane, just to get myself back into the swing of things.

Then I felt like I needed more. And this time I could afford it. So, I got the updated version of a set I always wanted as a kid and never got - the Supercar. Holy poo poo, that thing is amazing. I kept realizing I had no idea what on earth I was building, skipping ahead and finding things like "Oh. It's a working differential with independent suspension." :stare:

For my birthday I got myself the current Hogwart's Castle. Now I need to resist the urge to go on bricklink and spend stupid sums of money on the previous 3 versions, because they can all link together to make the crazy patchwork castle I imagined when reading the books... I think I'm just going to settle on making a nice medieval village using currently available sets (and maybe some MOCs - I'm out of practice.)

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

21010 Architecture Robie House is on sale for 135.99 on Amazon

Money is overrated anyway... :ohdear:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0050COGZI

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Pyroclastic posted:

Huh, I never got the impression Ninjago was that popular, at least in my area. The sets and cards and poo poo seem to shelf-warm.
I originally thought there was more to the spinners. Like a zip-cord mechanism or something. Nope, just die-cast metal with some lego bits attached.

Has anyone seen them used in a MOC yet?

Ninjago is stupid popular, because it has a 15-minute commercial cg cartoon series that is broadcast on television.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

djfooboo posted:

21010 Architecture Robie House is on sale for 135.99 on Amazon

Money is overrated anyway... :ohdear:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0050COGZI

If I had the money right now I'd buy that in a heartbeat :( What a good price

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

runwiled posted:

Heads up to Brit-goons: toy stocks are allocated to stores based on their sales for the first day or two, so there's a delay before more stock comes in. Sunday night is normally when the second-wave of toys arrives (and hopefully the Lego) so get your asses down to Sainsbury's on Monday morning if you want a second shot at half-price goodies.

Thanks for this good advice Sainsbury's dude! Couldn't make it in the morning, but got there for lunch time and the Lego had been restocked. It had mostly gone again but they still had some stuff. Mostly low end City and a handful of Ninjago stuff.

I grabbed three nice city sets including the last Camper Van, which was my big score, and a Rebel Hoth dude battle pack, which was the only Star Wars they had left. Defnitely worth the trip.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Ninjago seems to be fairly popular in the UK based on the amount of marketing and shelf space it gets. The Fire Temple was on some big toy retailer "top xmas toys" list here. I don't think the TV series is a major part of that. I don't think it even airs in the UK.

That said it's not really something I've ever heard kids talking about or seen any friend's kids playing with or anything. So it's all a bit of a mystery to me.I think they need to introduce pirates and robots to the line.

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009

Dame Cook posted:

Yeah, I get the impression that Ninjago is almost as much of a phenomenon as Bionicle - and Bionicle saved LEGO from going bust.

Is that true?! I remember back when I was in the States (I'm living abroad at the moment) I'd occasionally lurk through the toy section of Target and drool ... DROOL ... over the Castle sets and some of the Aliens-oriented set (Full disclosure, I'm 23) but I'd look at Bionicle and be mildly offended on behalf of my 9 year old self who used to work industriously using regular 4x2 and 2x2 bricks with only the occasional shark or horse to augment them.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

internetstuff posted:

Is that true?! I remember back when I was in the States (I'm living abroad at the moment) I'd occasionally lurk through the toy section of Target and drool ... DROOL ... over the Castle sets and some of the Aliens-oriented set (Full disclosure, I'm 23) but I'd look at Bionicle and be mildly offended on behalf of my 9 year old self who used to work industriously using regular 4x2 and 2x2 bricks with only the occasional shark or horse to augment them.

quote:

The concept of Bionicle was proposed in 2000.[4] During that time, Lego was suffering a ten-year downturn. In 1998, the company suffered its first loss, resulting layoffs for the first time with 1000 people being laid off the following year. In January 2004, Lego posted a loss of 1.4 billion Danish kroner (140 million British pounds and 223.86 million USD). A few weeks earlier, in order to "stabilise its financial situation," another 500 jobs were cut.
Initially, the idea of Bionicle was faced with resistance from "company traditionalists" as Lego had "no experience of creating the kind of story-based, multichannel brand that was being proposed." Also, the war-like appearance of the Bionicle characters went against the company's values: "high-quality products, an emphasis on free play and encouraging the imagination, and no modern warfare or violence."[4]
However, the Bionicle line soon became the "biggest of the recent hits" and the number one product of Lego in 2003.[4] The series made its first debut in virtual form on the web in December 2000. In 2004, the sets accounted for approximately all of Lego's turnover.

I agree that I loving hated bioncle but I'm grateful it saved the company.

Also, if you're 23 now, bioncle wasn't out until you were a teen or almost there. You were already too old for it. I was too old for it. That could be where some of our distaste came from.

dr cum patrol esq fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 31, 2011

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I knew LEGO was in trouble at some point, but I always assumed the turnaround was mostly due to the Star Wars License and the rise of the Minifig. The more you know!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Bionicle ---> LEGO
Porsche Cayenne ---> Porsche 911

I call this Porsche marketing when I see it, an inferior product that sells well to the masses funds the better product and the brand flourishes.

internetstuff
Dec 27, 2009
Ok, I give you that. But I was not too old for Castle. And I am not now too old for Castle. There is no too old for Castle.

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

I painted this. My friends didn't know what it was.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Busted out the Lego this weekend, was fooling around with that new wide track treads and fat cogs. Mechanically, the chain isn't very strong, and it doesn't like the kinds of tensions that come with suspensions. Maybe with rubber bands.

I was inspired to create a VERY large, motorized tank, in an attempt to push the treads to their mechanical limits. Anyone else make a large tank from these treads? I'm curious to see what others have done.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
So Halloween.

(Me)

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Pyroclastic posted:

I sell Ninjago out the rear end. It's probably more popular than Star Wars at the moment and there's a better margin on the Ninjago stuff so that is very okay.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so I will be surprising my 11 and 6 year old with LEGOLAND Orlando tickets for Christmas (we're going the first of January). It's just a regular amusement park with a LEGO theme right? I had a tough time figuring out if there was anything that'd make it stand out from say, Disneyworld (where we're also going).

I'm hoping the PAB selection is better than the LEGO store near here.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Krispy Kareem posted:

Okay, so I will be surprising my 11 and 6 year old with LEGOLAND Orlando tickets for Christmas (we're going the first of January). It's just a regular amusement park with a LEGO theme right? I had a tough time figuring out if there was anything that'd make it stand out from say, Disneyworld (where we're also going).

From what I understand, the rides in Legoland are much more kiddy-friendly, not as wild or fast as Disney or Universal.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

The Lego store that's in Orlando, which I believe is the largest Lego store in the states is worth checking out too. The park is only open until 5pm I believe so when you're done there, drive an hour north to Downtown Disney and check out the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

front wing flexing posted:

I agree that I loving hated bioncle but I'm grateful it saved the company.
I hated Bionicle. Then I read Christian Humber Reloaded and I really hated Bionicle.