Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

moechae posted:

Holy loving poo poo, she looks EXACTLY EXACTLY EXACTLY like my dog. Even the markings are exactly the same. The vertical white stripe down the chest, the two brown "wing" markings on either side of the stripe, the brown legs, the white dipped back toes. Even the gradient on the side of the mouth from brown to white is the same. I assume that somewhere out there a farmer is just breeding tons of these hound/collie mixes. We live in CO, so we have tons of farmers/hunters/ranchers. How big did she end up getting? Right now at around 6 months, Faye's about two inches taller than Ike our beagle and only 21 lbs. (She's all stilt legs and paws, which was one reason I thought sighthound, she's not stocky at all like scenthounds are. She also runs like a deer.)

I was just interested in what else she might be, because she can't be full scenthound. She is super affectionate, never has her nose to the ground, barely barks, she's super smart, super obedient (sounds like collie), and I guess the one big hound trait is that she LOVES FOOD, otherwise she's not much of a hound dog at all.

That's just so crazy that someone out there has a dog that looks just like mine. That's so awesome. Is she a good dog? I bet she is. :3:

After what demozthenes said, I'm betting probably beagle/lab/collie or something like that. We actually do get a fair amount coonhounds and foxhounds out here, but she really doesn't seem big enough to be a coon/foxhound mix. Probably beagle.

Well, Scylla IS a very very good dog ( we raised her from less than 24 hours old so I take full credit for that ;) ). She is also a Fail at being houndy but her sister doesn't really look the part as much and baroos at EVERYTHING. Scylla should be about 35 lbs but since my wife's stepdad likes to make her breakfast when he makes his own, she's currently around 40. Height-wise, her shoulder is slightly above knee level on her owner who is 5'7" so...however many inches that makes. So, she is a good medium size as far as dogs go but people still ask if she's a beagle :downs:

Our rescue averages at least 3 litters a year from that general area of Ohio that look EXACTLY like our guys did, just generic medium sized black and tan houndXsomething muttleys so I would say 'Generic Farm Mutt' is a safe breed guess.

And just to further prove how varied in muttliness, these are the three littermates I keep tabs on:

Scylla in New York

Charybdis in Ohio (adopted/returned and we ended up keeping)

Aaaaaaaannnndddd Ella in Maine

So yes, multiple sires, holy crap. And there were two others that were adopted by strangers so I have no updates but I somehow sense they also look completely different.

Faye is so darn cute we had to show SIL and she also freaked out over how much they look like each other. We call ours the Derp sisters...and we may or may not have begun affectionately calling Faye the "Derpolganger".....

Bonus pic of Scylla and Charybdis on their 1st birthday to show adult size ratio:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
The variation between those three littermates is amazing! Ella looks like a rottie, Charybdis looks like a beagle x pug or something.

Crossposting from the Yappy Rat thread... any ideas on our new foster's breeds? She's on the big end of small dogness, her ideal weight would be around 12kg (26lb) I think. Her fur is so very soft and her tail does a full loop, but she doesn't hold it over her back.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
She looks kinda like a pomeranian/chihuahua mix to me. Maybe some papillon in there too?

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
That's what we thought from the pound photos as well, but she's just way too big. I'd say she's almost the length of a border collie but her legs are short.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....
Pom/corgi mix?

badmomrising
Nov 16, 2010

a mari usque ad mare
I see a lot of Golden in there, but what small breed? Pom, or corgi, or small spaniel? She has that "big dog on short legs" look to me, the poor old dear. Well done for helping her out!

Elixibren
Mar 5, 2007
Ya'll

Elixibren posted:

We got this little bundle of adorable awsome about a month ago, given up to us by a student in my girlfriend's dog training classes. We THINK Shar Pei/Lab/Boxer mix. His paws are FULLY Webbed, and the Shar Pei ears/color/face, and Boxer mostly from his, well, boxing. That's his "hello" for everything. Slapping it in the face. Amazing dog.

We got his DNA results back from a reputable source (my vet recommended based on several test runs she did). He came back Boxer/GSD/Malamute as his primary 3, with some small bits of Newfoundland, Mini Poodle, Plott Hound, Dogue De Boudreaux and Chihuahua...go figure. We can really see the boxer and Malamute (he neck has the gorgeous Malamute necklacing), and kinda the GSD. Boxer was his strongest DNA source, and it shows. :D

http://petco-clearlake.com/Brock.pdf

Elixibren fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 18, 2011

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

moechae posted:

She's all stilt legs and paws, which was one reason I thought sighthound, she's not stocky at all like scenthounds are. She also runs like a deer.

-

The X-man cometh fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 2, 2021

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Can someone ID my neighbor's mutt? Someone guessed that she was a collie + German shepherd, but she looks too small. I don't have any measurements but she's next to my bernese mountain dog puppy (12 lbs) in one of the photos. I can come back with her weight if that'll help.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Snow Job posted:

I see Aussie mix. Hard to tell what else is crammed in there. But that is some impressive butt-fluff. :3:

tardsteak
Jul 26, 2007

You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.
HELLO THERE.

I last posted pictures of Porter about a year ago. This is him now, 18 months old and 70 lbs of useless.

He's a pretty swole up dog, and believe me he's twice as strong as he looks.

Anyway, after a lot of searching we've gotten a pretty good idea of his breed, and the vet was inclined to agree. Pit bull and......CAROLINA DOG. Yes, my dog is most likely a dingo. It makes sense considering we found him in a school parking lot on the edge of the woods, and the vet said there's a pack or two of them running around this area.

Here's a video of a pure Carolina Dog for comparison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8QJjDitRG8

He fits drat near everything they describe except size and facial coloration. Everything else they describe in that video fits Porter to a T.

Leodon
Sep 3, 2007
You have strayed far from the path of the Avatar.
I adopted a puppy from the pound a couple of days ago. Someone left him at the park and we were lucky enough to get him. He's three months old and the sweetest thing. He's clearly Australian Shepherd from the markings but that's about it. His coat is soft and wiry and he's got a weird little beard. Any guesses as to what type of awesome I have?

Edit: Sorry about the table breaking. Not sure how to fix it.

Leodon fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 29, 2011

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Aussies aren't the only ones with those markings/colors. I'm not very good with terrier ID, but there's obviously a lot of terrier in there. Looks like a wire-haired Jack Russell mix to me. Anyone else see it?

Adorable. :3:

edit: His coloring reminds me a lot of a Catahoula, but that's about it. Someone crammed a Catahoula in a Jack Russell body, mystery solved, hth

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 29, 2011

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

I'd go with Australian Cattle Dog rather than Australian Shepherd, especially with the less than fluffy coat. However, I'd label the little bugger as a terrier mix over either one of those. Jack Russell's a pretty good candidate, I think. Good luck with him - those are all 3 very smart and athletic breeds, and he's drat cute. :)

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Skizzles posted:

Aussies aren't the only ones with those markings/colors. I'm not very good with terrier ID, but there's obviously a lot of terrier in there. Looks like a wire-haired Jack Russell mix to me. Anyone else see it?

Adorable. :3:

edit: His coloring reminds me a lot of a Catahoula, but that's about it. Someone crammed a Catahoula in a Jack Russell body, mystery solved, hth

Dachshunds can be merle ('dapple'), and that face definitely looks like a dachshund to me. But mixed with something taller, maybe poodle? Poodle coats can go weird and wiry when they're crossed.

Snow Job, I see border collie x golden. I have a feeling she'd be bigger if that were the case though?

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

Dachshunds can be merle ('dapple'), and that face definitely looks like a dachshund to me. But mixed with something taller, maybe poodle? Poodle coats can go weird and wiry when they're crossed.

Snow Job, I see border collie x golden. I have a feeling she'd be bigger if that were the case though?

YES, I forgot about the dapple-y dachshunds.

And golden hit the nail on the head as far as what that dog reminded me of in the face.

Leodon
Sep 3, 2007
Thanks! Wire haired Jack Russell and Catahoula? Or dappled dachshund and poodle? Interesting. He's currently 8lbs and we are hoping he'll be a bit bigger than a Jack. Two vets said he was Aussie and they have no idea what else but I do see your points. They also said he'd probably end up 20 to 50lbs, which is a huge range. We are seeing another vet tomorrow for his health exam so maybe they will know more.

:ssh: Actually, I think you guys know more than the vets. That's why I came here first. :allears:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
In my experience, most vets/shelter/rescue workers are TERRIBLE at identifying breeds. Their gut reaction when they see a merle is always "WELP IT'S AN AUSSIE." And anything black and tan is automatically a GSD mix. Or if you're my shelter, EVERYTHING is a loving smooth collie mix for some reason. Ugh.

I don't know how common the wire-y Jacks are, but I vote he's a mix of that and dapple Dachshund, or maybe regular Jack/dapple Dachshund/poodle. It's true poodle coats can go a little crazy when mixed.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

MoCookies posted:

I'd go with Australian Cattle Dog rather than Australian Shepherd, especially with the less than fluffy coat. However, I'd label the little bugger as a terrier mix over either one of those. Jack Russell's a pretty good candidate, I think. Good luck with him - those are all 3 very smart and athletic breeds, and he's drat cute. :)

ACDs aren't merle - they're just heavily ticked.

I'd go with Aussie/Terrier mix.

badmomrising
Nov 16, 2010

a mari usque ad mare

Leodon posted:

Thanks! Wire haired Jack Russell and Catahoula? Or dappled dachshund and poodle? Interesting. He's currently 8lbs and we are hoping he'll be a bit bigger than a Jack. Two vets said he was Aussie and they have no idea what else but I do see your points. They also said he'd probably end up 20 to 50lbs, which is a huge range. We are seeing another vet tomorrow for his health exam so maybe they will know more.

:ssh: Actually, I think you guys know more than the vets. That's why I came here first. :allears:

No to the Catahoula, and Nthing dapple dachshund and poodle or terrier. Remember, there are also wirehaired doxies, so who knows? I'm guessing that's an adorable pup who isn't going to see 30 lbs, much less 50! I'm going to defer to an Aussie person, but that pattern doesn't look much like Aussie merle, does it?

More photos for science!

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yeah I personally don't see much Aussie in him. A life less is biased. :colbert:

But that's also the problem with puppies is it's sometimes really hard to tell until they grow up.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

tardsteak posted:

HELLO THERE.
I last posted pictures of Porter about a year ago. This is him now, 18 months old and 70 lbs of useless.

He's a pretty swole up dog, and believe me he's twice as strong as he looks.

That dog is fat not swole feed him less.

Good to see Porter again though :)

tardsteak
Jul 26, 2007

Haha well to be more accurate those pictures are from about a month back. We've since changed his feeding a bit and started exercising him a lot more. Here's a crappy picture I took ten minutes ago:

He's still got some cushion but we're getting there.

Leodon
Sep 3, 2007
The vet didn't want to guess at what breed Lurch could be but he's healthy and that's all that really matters. I tried to get a picture of his silly ear fringe, beard and curly eyebrows but failed. Could he be a wire haired fox terrier?

badmomrising
Nov 16, 2010

a mari usque ad mare

Leodon posted:

The vet didn't want to guess at what breed Lurch could be but he's healthy and that's all that really matters. I tried to get a picture of his silly ear fringe, beard and curly eyebrows but failed. Could he be a wire haired fox terrier?

No.

Long form: fox terriers have much longer legs and shorter bodies, and don't come in merle, AFAIK. They also aren't as common as, say doxies and poodles. Your puppy is amazingly cute, and to me, curly eyebrows definitely say poodle, while the dapple sausage body says doxie. Lucky Lurch, to have been lost and found!

Jaxx
Apr 20, 2005
8v not 16v
What kind of dog is this? It's from a book called 'Happy Motoring! Canine life in the fast lane' but there is no caption or anything.

LunacySystem
Aug 11, 2007
ffffffffffffffffff

Jaxx posted:

What kind of dog is this? It's from a book called 'Happy Motoring! Canine life in the fast lane' but there is no caption or anything.

Looks like an old style Great Dane( I'm not a Great Daneologist though). Definitely a mastiffy breed though.

BywaterBetsy
Jan 20, 2008

Catahoula/? He bays like a beagle.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Looks like a labby pitty thing to me.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

BywaterBetsy posted:

Catahoula/? He bays like a beagle.

The lightly colored eyes are really interesting. Probably a lab x pit, but I have to say the coloring plus the eyes reminds me of a Vizla. But you know what they say, if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

LadySage
Dec 26, 2005

AA: i am very much alive
AA: and i intend to stay that way :)

MoCookies posted:

The lightly colored eyes are really interesting. Probably a lab x pit, but I have to say the coloring plus the eyes reminds me of a Vizla. But you know what they say, if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Young chocolate labs also usually have pale eyes.

BywaterBetsy
Jan 20, 2008
Well I do know for sure that he's half catahoula. I can't wait to see him as an adult!

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

tardsteak posted:

Haha well to be more accurate those pictures are from about a month back. We've since changed his feeding a bit and started exercising him a lot more. Here's a crappy picture I took ten minutes ago:

Such a lovely boy! What's his energy level like?

Leodon
Sep 3, 2007
I think I figured out half of my mystery shelter puppy, Lurch (see above). I noticed that he has webbed toes so looked up breeds with that trait and... German Wirehaired Pointer explains the webbed toes, merle double coat and general shape. He's definitely mixed with something else which will probably remain a mystery.

BywaterBetsy, your Catahoula is so cute! Is his tail curled? That could be a hint about who dad is.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Leodon posted:

I think I figured out half of my mystery shelter puppy, Lurch (see above). I noticed that he has webbed toes so looked up breeds with that trait and... German Wirehaired Pointer explains the webbed toes, merle double coat and general shape. He's definitely mixed with something else which will probably remain a mystery.

Lots of dogs have webbed feet. My parent's corgi does, my mutt who many think has lab in him does not. GWPs are another breed that is ticked, not merled even though they look similar. I think if your pup was a GWP he would be bigger and still think dapple doxie is a good bet.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yeah I thought it was pretty common for any water-related breed to have webbed feet, like labs. I too still say dapple doxie/JRT.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Leodon posted:

That there is a Jack face. I'd say he's almost definitely JRT/Doxie, not GWP.

How old is he and what's his size/weight?

tardsteak
Jul 26, 2007

Scary Ned posted:

Such a lovely boy! What's his energy level like?

When he was younger he was pretty relentless, but since we moved out of the apartment to the country he's gotten a lot better. Every day after work I'll run him around outside and usually give him another run later in the evening to get him nice and tired for bedtime.

It's pretty easy to tell when he's ready for bed.

Leodon
Sep 3, 2007

Fraction posted:

That there is a Jack face. I'd say he's almost definitely JRT/Doxie, not GWP.

How old is he and what's his size/weight?

The shelter thought he was 3 months when they brought him in on October 19th. On the 27th he weighted 8 pounds and today he weighs 10. I know dachshunds pretty well and I'm just not seeing it. He's already bigger than a dachshund and most JRTs. His legs are long.

His coat is exactly as described as a GWP. A double coat of short dense soft hair with some longer wiry hair. His markings are ticked and heavily spotted. The white is not GWP. He also has the beard and snout hair that look a lot like the breed. That being said, I don't recall ever having seen him point at anything.

I don't think he'll get to be as big as a full GWP but it's hard to tell at this age. Especially if we don't know exactly what his age is. Maybe he's a JRT/GWP. That could be interesting... Whatever he is, he sure isn't a jumper. I'm going to have to teach him how to jump over anything. I already taught him how to walk up steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Jack Russells can hit 15'' tall and 18 pounds within breed standard, completely ignoring the existence of BYBs breeding for dogs that are bigger/smaller than standard.

He looks a lot, face-wise, like this dog I found on google, a JRT/beagle:

Are German Wirehaired Pointers common in your area?

Lurch's paws don't look like they'd suit a GWP. They look like lil diggin' paws :3: What's his behaviour like? You say he doesn't point--what does he enjoy doing?