Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My '11 had no such issues. The only time I could get it to activate ABS in the snow is when was was intentionally being an rear end.

What tires were you running during the snow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheFerret
Nov 10, 2003
Angry for coins
Very weird - if yours is rarely activating, that makes me think I have a problem. I'm pretty cautious in the snow and get it turning on all the time. I'm running continental DWS extreme all-weathers - pretty decent in the snow. We don't see more than an inch or two on the roads most of the time due to the very overzealous IL-DOT plow schedule, but plenty of ice.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ice is ice. There's really not much you can do on that and any brake application is going to cause ABS activation. Short of studded tires, anyone is pretty much boned on ice.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I can reliably engage ABS under moderate braking on ice in my '06 WRX. After a few pucker moments I memorized the major build-ups of ice on my commute and either avoided them or began braking well in advance such that I could still maintain control if something went wrong while crossing the ice patch.

It sucks, but that's winter driving for you.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I can reliably engage ABS under moderate braking on ice in my '06 WRX. After a few pucker moments I memorized the major build-ups of ice on my commute and either avoided them or began braking well in advance such that I could still maintain control if something went wrong while crossing the ice patch.

It sucks, but that's winter driving for you.

Yeah, that's just plain old winter driving no matter what the car.

Pulling the ABS fuse is only going to result in locked up wheels on ice. You're pretty much down to a zero sum game at that point.

If ice is widespread, I don't drive. Period. I'll drive in a foot of snow no problem, but if there was just a dusting on untreated roads that gets compressed into an ice layer or some freezing rain, I decide there's no where I need to be. That's just a matter of life in western PA as the terrain makes it literally impossible to go places in that weather.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6249iHSJsKo

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
gently caress ice. My old street was so bad once it was hard to stand on. A guy got his minivan stuck on a level part of it, there was just no traction at all. The Jeep was ok at crawling pace (mainly in case I had to stop..)

I'd never drive in that in a car, all it takes is one slide into a curb at low speed to ruin your wheels/alignment and who knows what else.

BobTheFerret
Nov 10, 2003
Angry for coins
I guess we just get way too much ice here or something. The frustrating part is the salters - only out in the mornings, melt the snow, the salt gets washed away, leaving a nice undercoating of ice everywhere you drive. I didn't think about it, but we have ice just about everywhere when it snows here, so I'll chalk up ABS coming on all the time to that I suppose.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
So I went to try to install this Defi red racer boost gauge and I need help. I feel comfortable with everything except how to power the gauge.

How/where do I attach the orange (12V IGN) and red (12V constant) wires to power the gauge? I've read that alot of people don't hook up the illumination wire (white). I'm not sure what the easiest/cleanest way to install the ground is either...

E: I've seen the use of add-a-circuit fuses. If I use those, which fuses (cabin box) do I mess with? Do I use 1A mini fuses?

I appreciate any help.

THE BLACK NINJA fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 28, 2011

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
A cheap light up circuit tester thing is a pretty good way to find an appropriate fuse or wire.

GST running very close to the track record (1:41.046) at a recent practice day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qNxgEAx89I

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BobTheFerret posted:

Is this at all a problem in MY08-10 (if you know...)? I've been noticing that I have situations where threshold braking rather than actual ABS would be a TON better - not just a little, but literally situations on snow and ice or on gravel where I'm left skidding at 20 mph or less. It could also be that I'm just rarely activating the ABS under those situations above 20 mph, since I'm not ever really trying to push the limits on snow and ice. It feels like I have no control over the braking system whatsoever when the ABS goes on, even if I liftoff and re-apply - the slightest re-application of the brakes activates the ABS, which I think is actually somehow reducing my ability to turn, as though all of the wheels have locked up at once. It's pretty painful in parking lots when it happens, as I'll unpredictably go into a 5 mph skid completely out of control, when I know if I hadn't activated the ABS I would have had no issue at all stopping.

I'll take some video this winter to demonstrate the worst of it - it's pretty ridiculous when it happens. If anyone else has this issue with the more modern WRX's/STi's, feel free to chime in.

I had similar issues in my old Forester XT - absolutly guarenttee that I could replicate it where the car would just fire straight on when if you pulled the fuse you would be completely fine. This was quite well known in the Forester community as a huge issue that Subaru took too long to fix.

Go see a dealer and get a reflash - as much as I have no faith in Subaru chassis electronics the WRX system is much improved and should not be that bad.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So... is the new WRX/STi generation going to be for '13 or '14? Some signs point to a mid-summer launch next year, some later. Not a huge fan of the current gen STi's and am hoping the revision brings the lust back for me. A nice new WRB Sti is going to be a present to myself soon.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
2013. All we know right now is that they're splitting the WRX from the Impreza.

My guess is a significantly smaller 3- or 5-door hatch, built off of the Toyobaru platform.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Current indications are that the current WRX/STI are going to stick around for awhile yet. So, we're looking at MY14 sometime in 2013 before they are going to change.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

I have also heard 2013, https://www.subarunewsblog.com

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.
Anyone happen to know a place that sells/makes hood dampers that would fit an 03 Legacy? Tein makes them for pretty much every other model year, it looks like. How much difference is there between my 03 and the redesigned 05 LGT hood weight/dimension-wise?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

The Jabberwocky posted:

Anyone happen to know a place that sells/makes hood dampers that would fit an 03 Legacy? Tein makes them for pretty much every other model year, it looks like. How much difference is there between my 03 and the redesigned 05 LGT hood weight/dimension-wise?
IXIZ used to make a whole pile of hood dampers, I know a few guys in the club have them installed. Unfortunately I believe they no longer make them but that might help you in tracking down a pair.

Might also be worthwhile trying a few of the Impreza hood dampers; I can't imagine your hood weighs a lot more than a steel-hood GC or early GD and I bet (but aren't sure if) they're interchangeable.

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

IXIZ used to make a whole pile of hood dampers, I know a few guys in the club have them installed. Unfortunately I believe they no longer make them but that might help you in tracking down a pair.

Might also be worthwhile trying a few of the Impreza hood dampers; I can't imagine your hood weighs a lot more than a steel-hood GC or early GD and I bet (but aren't sure if) they're interchangeable.

That's the thought I had. I don't have any data to back that up, though. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: looks like IXIZ makes the dampers for the Impreza but nothing else. I may try them, though. They seem fairly cheap.

VV I sent them an email. It seems like they have pretty much what I want. I hate being so attached to my car, but dang it it's my car and I want my hood to go "swoosh" when it opens!

The Jabberwocky fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 28, 2011

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

The Jabberwocky posted:

This place has a bunch of different options, I don't see anything for the 03 Legacy but if you call them I imagine they could help you.

http://www.redlinetuning.com/products.html

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

2013. All we know right now is that they're splitting the WRX from the Impreza.

My guess is a significantly smaller 3- or 5-door hatch, built off of the Toyobaru platform.

Lateish 2013, three door based on the Toybaru, 1.6 litre DI turbo so it can become a rally car again and a fair bit lighter, more around the GC WRX range. Until then the current WRX/STI stays as is. Power levels with the 1.6 should still be about the same so with the lighter and smaller Toybaru base I'd definatly wait if I was WRX hunting in 2013 this is shaping as a potentially good thing

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Cat Terrist posted:

Lateish 2013, three door based on the Toybaru, 1.6 litre DI turbo so it can become a rally car again and a fair bit lighter, more around the GC WRX range. Until then the current WRX/STI stays as is. Power levels with the 1.6 should still be about the same so with the lighter and smaller Toybaru base I'd definatly wait if I was WRX hunting in 2013 this is shaping as a potentially good thing

I don't think that is a good guess personally.

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

Bojanglesworth posted:

I don't know how good a guess it is, but I would buy the poo poo out of a 3 door awd STI.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bojanglesworth posted:

I think the balancing act is power numbers vs acceleration. I think a large portion of the people buying WRXes could put up with a smaller car. It's sportier and what not. If it's light enough, the turbo 1.6 could probably be enough to match current acceleration and fuel economy. But if it only did that, it'd have less horsepower than the current WRX, and that's sadly probably going to hurt it from having to take a step back in advertised power.

The new S2000+ spec only requires that the homologation car have a 1.6 motor in some market, right? And not even a turbo one. So the US-bound WRXes could still get turbo 2.0s.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Bojanglesworth posted:

It's not a guess, that's the so far "leaked" specs. But consider this for hte truth of the leaks - The new WRX will not be Liberty or Impreza based (confirmed), it will have an engine that will get Subaru back into the WRC - there is exactly one platform that fits and that's the BRZ. There is a 1.6 DI under development.

But if you dont consider the leaks, there's the thought process that backs it up - You might note Subaru arent talking much about the BRZ, unlike Toyta and the FT-86. Why arent Subaru talking up their new platform? Why is it coming onto the market without real fanfare? The answer of course is the BRZ isnt a car Subaru are going to sell much o, its the basis for somethign that will

And this should get anyone excited. A turbo AWD the size of the old AE86, with the weight of the old GC.... I would DRIVE the living poo poo out of that.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

If they make a two door hatch I will buy a brand loving new one. And I have said I will never own a new car.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Car and Driver wrote up the BRZ in this month's issue, here's a scan-

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=c03b9f041be5c89ed6a1ef78d13708cf&t=2070

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
$28 grand? What.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hmm, I'd really have to see the finished product in STi trim to decide. As a young, single guy I do appreciate a 3-door, but the car enthusiast in me feels like it's sacrilege to have modern beige Toyota development mixed in with my beloved STi.

At least Subaru seems to moving in the right direction. Never forget the '08 Impreza lineup :gonk:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

blargle posted:

$28 grand? What.

If they don't move, I'm sure the prices will get slashed and this little project will shuffle off into the sunset for both the Subaru and Toyota versions, while the WRX comes back with more relevance.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

blargle posted:

$28 grand? What.

If it ends up being in the high 200's HP vs. 200 in the Scion version, I guess I could see it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

If it ends up being in the high 200's HP vs. 200 in the Scion version, I guess I could see it.

Especially if it's the 300lbs or so lighter than the WRX that they are talking about.

Think similar WRX power, 2800lbs (or less), and no AWD parasitic loss.

Sounds like a drat fun car for $28k.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
The spec sheet in the article says 210hp and 170tq, and it's confirmed there will be no turbo model. The only way you'll see high 200s is with an ej swap.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
If that thing is $28k does that mean the next WRX will sticker for 30+?

That would be in the same league as a Mustang GT or BMW 3 series with the new 4cyl turbo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

blargle posted:

The spec sheet in the article says 210hp and 170tq, and it's confirmed there will be no turbo model. The only way you'll see high 200s is with an ej swap.

There's some ambiguity here.

We know the FT86 has 200ish HP.

Autocar claims that Subaru told them the BRZ is going to have more HP than the FT86. How much? Here's how they stated it.

quote:

Speaking to Autocar at today’s Frankfurt motor show, Subaru’s product planning chief and BRZ development head Toshio Masuda said the BRZ would be offered with a sole engine option: a direct-injection 2.0-litre normally-aspirated four-cylinder boxer engine, codenamed ‘FA’. He also said it would produce “less than 300bhp” and gearbox options would be six-speed manual and six-speed automatic.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/259183/
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle.aspx?AR=259739

Now, 210hp is certainly less than 300hp. However, this is the source of upper 200hp rumors.

They are probably still playing with the tune and haven't really finalized the output yet.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Blech, not a fan of the BRZ prototype. Of course I'm an odd ducking to begin with being I like the Forrester more than the WRX.

Edit: BRZ, not DBZ :lol:

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

JayKay posted:

Blech, not a fan of the BRZ prototype. Of course I'm an odd ducking to begin with being I like the Forrester more than the WRX.

Edit: BRZ, not DBZ :lol:

Well, at this point, the Forester is a better car. I don't understand why anyone would be interested in a NA, RWD Subaru. Especially for 28k (!) You can find a great old 06/07 STI for that kind of money. Looks-wise, too. I would rather have hood scoops and big stupid wings on a Subaru any day. But that's me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Stupid question that I'm not sure how to search for: I have a '97 Impreza with a 3.9 final drive. I've got a spare gearbox out of a '98 Outback here with a 4.11 final drive. If I somehow find a 4.11 rear diff and swap both the diff and transmission onto the car, do I need to do anything to the speedometer to maintain accuracy?

I'm hoping that somehow there will be magic involved in making it work, but I'm not sure how the speed sensor works on these cars.

Flu Roo
Apr 13, 2010

I was at the gun club for my orientation today. We hung around a while afterward to shoot some steel in the snow, and everyone else was gone. Since this was my first experience with my new STi in the snow, I decided to turn off traction control and whip her around the lot a couple times. It was friggen scary- without traction control I could not stop short of 100' (at least)

Turned it back on, and crawled home, about an hour ride. It held together pretty well and didn't slip. Used 'I' mode and Diff was at auto +.

Time to get some snow tires soon I think, it could have been better. Anyone got any favorite brand of winter tire?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Flu Roo posted:

Anyone got any favorite brand of winter tire?

Bridgestone Blizzaks and Nokian Hakkapeliittas are perennial favorites around AI, but I'm sure there are some other good ones as well.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Stupid question that I'm not sure how to search for: I have a '97 Impreza with a 3.9 final drive. I've got a spare gearbox out of a '98 Outback here with a 4.11 final drive. If I somehow find a 4.11 rear diff and swap both the diff and transmission onto the car, do I need to do anything to the speedometer to maintain accuracy?

I'm hoping that somehow there will be magic involved in making it work, but I'm not sure how the speed sensor works on these cars.

Apparently there is a plug on the side of the gearbox that you could swap out. I never did it on my 4.11 NA to 4.44 Turbo box swap. It's plastic, so it would probably break if I tried to change it since I did the swap in february. I got a speedo calibrator from dakota dash, just got to wire it up. lovely solution, but I run different sized gravels and plan to run TSD rallys so accuracy is important. But yeah, matching gearbox and rear diff will work fine, speedo might be funky.

Flu Roo posted:

I was at the gun club for my orientation today. We hung around a while afterward to shoot some steel in the snow, and everyone else was gone. Since this was my first experience with my new STi in the snow, I decided to turn off traction control and whip her around the lot a couple times. It was friggen scary- without traction control I could not stop short of 100' (at least)

Turned it back on, and crawled home, about an hour ride. It held together pretty well and didn't slip. Used 'I' mode and Diff was at auto +.

Time to get some snow tires soon I think, it could have been better. Anyone got any favorite brand of winter tire?

Did your car come with summer tires stock? I know most the new wrx/sti's come with summers. I drove my car ONCE on summers in a snow storm. Skidded through an intersection. Snow tires are like cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flu Roo
Apr 13, 2010

Slow is Fast posted:

Did your car come with summer tires stock? I know most the new wrx/sti's come with summers. I drove my car ONCE on summers in a snow storm. Skidded through an intersection. Snow tires are like cheating.

Yes, current tires are summer. I just took it to the big lot down the road after dinner, turned all traction control off and let her have it for a few turns. The only way this thing could slide more predictably would have been if I were driving an RX8. What a confidence builder.

I'm going to check out the Bridgestone and Nokian tires.