Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

speaking of the neck-diving, has anyone here played a Telecoustic? Mine feels like the head (and the floor) is made of magnets. It just loves to get mad vertical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Sadsack posted:

I've been thinking about upgrading from my lovely Pacification to a proper, big boys, guitar. At the moment I'm lusting after a Gibson SG Special, but I'm a bit worried about the neck. A few years ago I had a Epiphone G400 that, when you let get of the neck, it immeadiatly nose dived. Was that just a problem with that guitar or is it a quirk of the SG line as a whole?

It depends. I've had a few SGs and only the '61 reissue from the '90s did it, even though it had the thinnest neck of all. My current Special has a fat neck, but is perfectly balanced, and my old bat-necked '64 Specials (with the P-90s and the Vibrola thing) were too.

Perhaps you want to look into buying used, btw. Gibson changed the bridge anchoring a few years ago, and the old way of posts running straight into the body do make for a meatier sound. I usually disregard all that anal stuff, but this one's immediately noticeably. I think it changed around 2002/3 but better look that up.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Are the best entry level monitors still the KRK RokIt 6?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I don't think this is the right thread but I am unsure where to post it at all and I'd rather not create a thread for such a one time question. I was wondering what instrument is playing at 1:21 to about 1:30. Some kind of flute or something? If you have an example of similar sound I would be grateful. The song is Se Meg by Kate Havnevik.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w0K9y_SKPs

P.S.: If you know what thread should this be posted in/would have better chance of people knowing, please let me know! Thank you.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

lordfrikk posted:

I don't think this is the right thread but I am unsure where to post it at all and I'd rather not create a thread for such a one time question. I was wondering what instrument is playing at 1:21 to about 1:30. Some kind of flute or something? If you have an example of similar sound I would be grateful. The song is Se Meg by Kate Havnevik.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w0K9y_SKPs

P.S.: If you know what thread should this be posted in/would have better chance of people knowing, please let me know! Thank you.

I thought it was a muted trumpet, but that's just me.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sounds like some kind of woodwind to me, but I couldn't make any useful guess what kind (some kind of flute maybe?). I can't hear it too well right now but it sounds like it might be playing lower earlier on, and then soars up without getting any harsh edges, so maybe it's a sampled instrument or something. Make a thread in Musician's Lounge!

EDIT: now I've been able to turn it up a bit it does sound like a muted trumpet, weird how that works

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 22, 2011

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I am poor and and don't know what I am doing, and am toying around with my amps for the first time (live in a paper-walled place, usually play with headphones). It's been great to blast sound and hear the full range of tones that I can achieve, but I'm thinking I'm going to break something: I've been playing into a bass amp with my guitar (craigslist availability ahoy) but recently I've tried using the "pwr amp in/preamp out" plug to play through a small practice (guitar) amp. if I pull the jack out halfway I can play through both at the same time. since I'm not generating bass guitar tones, this won't blow the practice amp, or will it?

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

I'm looking for a decent distortion pedal (guitar)

I've got a BOSS MT-2 and I pretty much hate it and the effects built into my amp are also terrible.

I have friends that say the DS-1 is the only decent way to go, does anyone have any recommendations?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

Thirteenth Step posted:

I've got a BOSS MT-2 and I pretty much hate it and the effects built into my amp are also terrible.

I have friends that say the DS-1 is the only decent way to go, does anyone have any recommendations?

I've got the DS-2 and a Fuzz Factory, they're both very nice pedals, but you'd probably be better off just going to the store and trying out a couple.

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
Could anyone tell me what a Love Pedal Amp Eleven is worth? Thank you.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Thirteenth Step posted:

I'm going to second Bozor: Go to the shop and try stuff out, and try to recreate your situation as closely as possible---use an amp and guitar similar to yours, if not yours, when testing. There's a lot of room for different kinds of sounds within the vague descriptor of "distortion," so be prepared to try and sort through a whole lot of different boxes. I personally have a Keeley Mod DS-1 and a stock Big Muff Pi in my chain, which I use for fairly different things.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Remember that specific piece of software some goons were using to slow down Lady Gaga and Justin Beiber songs by like 500X slower and turned them into ambient music? Anyone remember who was the software maker and what app name?

I remember hearing it was something specifically designed to do that one effect well, and not just the typical DAW time stretch.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
I think it's called "Paul Stretch".

Edit: http://hypermammut.sourceforge.net/paulstretch/

Macpod/Winpod achieves similar effects through a different means: http://thirdmonk.com/MacPOD.html

samo
Feb 3, 2008
Has anyone used the Hercules Double Bass Stand? I am thinking about ordering it, but I want to know how sturdy it is.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I can't vouch for that specific stand but all of my mic stands and guitar hangers are Hercules branded and are very strong and sturdy, I have no qualms at all about entrusting the safety of my instruments to any product they make.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Does anyone know of any thumb picks that are made from a softer material than the normal hard plastic? The problem is that I just started using Alaska pics that are made with a softer material and my thumb ends up being quite a bit louder than my fingers.

samo
Feb 3, 2008

RandomCheese posted:

I can't vouch for that specific stand but all of my mic stands and guitar hangers are Hercules branded and are very strong and sturdy, I have no qualms at all about entrusting the safety of my instruments to any product they make.

Awesome, I haven't used any of their products yet. I think I will take the plunge, thanks.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
What exactly happens if you turn on a head without a cabinet attached? Does it completely destroy the amp or is it fixable?

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

It could destroy the power amp, but alot of modern amps handle a bit of non loaded time. Wouldn't risk it though.

I have a question: I've recently started working as a regular live tech at a venue, and have been off the live gig game for a couple of years. I work on a Midas H1000 console, and started using the groups for effects just now. I don't mind having both uncompressed and compressed vocals running in the PA at the same time, but if I e.g wanted to use group gates, is there any way of taking the dry signal out of the Master channels?

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.
I want to start using Guitar Rig, but I’ve no idea how to connect a guitar to a laptop. Am I going to need a dedicated pre-amp, or can I use a USB-to-1/4" guitar cable? And if I need a pre-amp, does anyone have any (cheap) recommendations?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Anything with a quarter-inch jack on one end and a USB on the other end should be fine for connecting your guitar to a laptop, but an external Audio Interface will give you a bit more flexibility down the track if you decide to use other instruments or record multiple parts at once. This thread has a lot of info on audio interfaces of all sizes.

BulletRiddled
Jun 1, 2004

I survived Disaster Movie and all I got was this poorly cropped avatar

I want to livestream a concert I'll be putting on in late December, but this is something I know pretty much nothing about. Is there a good/popular site for doing this?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

BulletRiddled posted:

I want to livestream a concert I'll be putting on in late December, but this is something I know pretty much nothing about. Is there a good/popular site for doing this?

livestream.com seems to get a lot of business.

Long Wang
Aug 28, 2006

I'm fairly new to playing the sax and a new piece I'm playing is causing some problems with squeaky noises. I've narrowed it down to slurring between B and high D, although it happens with other note combinations as well. It never happens if I tongue the notes.

I think I've found the problem is with the octave mechanism opening for a split second during slurring.

If I play high D I hold the octave key down but the top octave mechanism stays closed.

If I play low B the octave key is not held down so again the top octave mechanism stays closed.

However, I've found that when switching between the two I need to release a key (third down) which if released on its own would cause the octave mech to open, so whilst I'm releasing six keys at once, if the third key happens to be the first to go up, the octave key pops up and back down and the note turns into a squeak.

So I know how to avoid the problem, I just need to release/press the keys in a certain order. But when I'm playing, especially a fast piece I don't know how anyone could focus on releasing or pressing keys in the correct order with split-second accuracy.

Is this a problem other saxophone players have come across and how did you overcome it?

Long Wang fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 3, 2011

Steven Seagull
Oct 22, 2010
About how powerful a PA would I need for a loud noise/punk band? Three piece, 100 watt guitar amp, 250 watt bass stack, hectic drummer.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Hey guys, I just started trying my hand at music production and really could use some better speakers to play sounds on. Could anyone recommend me some quality computer speakers that are good value for the price? I've got in the range of $200 I'd be willing to spend.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

Hey guys, I just started trying my hand at music production and really could use some better speakers to play sounds on. Could anyone recommend me some quality computer speakers that are good value for the price? I've got in the range of $200 I'd be willing to spend.

I've been using harman/kardons for a little over a decade now, they still sound great. They...uh.

...what.

...the model that I was using (totally reasonable looking) somehow morphed into this monstrosity when I wasn't looking. I was gonna suggest whatever my speakers evolved into, but goddamn, I wouldn't want that anywhere near my system. Sorry.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Does an active bass become passive if you take the battery out? I don't know much about basses, so pardon me if this is a really stupid question.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Kinda. It depends on whether it's got active pickups, a separate onboard preamp, or both. If it's the former, it'll not sound very good without the battery, but the separate preamp set-up'll run just fine without a battery.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I'm using Amplitube (guitar effects VST) on my computer to get a guitar sound and am using an interface to connect my guitar to the computer and to route the processed signal to an amp (the amp on clean because its own distortion sucks).

Currently the amp is connected using a mono jack cable going from the interface left TRS out to the amp's guitar input. The DAW just outputs the master signal in stereo.

Question: should I configure the DAW to output the processed guitar signal in a specific way (e.g. mono, stereo panned left)? I have no clue on whether using just the L output of a stereo signal that's really a processed mono signal is the same as using both L + R. I guess I'm a bit clueless about mono vs. stereo.

Behold! A Elk!
May 12, 2009
This is probably a stupid question. When I am about to distribute a collection of songs as one package that I made myself and are not illegal for me to give away through the technology of :filez:. How do I make it so that all of my homemade tracks have the album art and information be present when someone else downloads it?

I am getting this kind of spider sense style feeling that I am asking something that is super dumb.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.
Let me preface this by saying that I have no experience with creating/editing music whatsoever. I need to know how I would go about removing the vocals from a song that I have in iTunes. I've checked around and I can't get the track in something like a karaoke version, so I would have to either edit the vocals out or get someone to play the song and record it for me. Any suggestions about doing the former?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Behold! A Elk! posted:

This is probably a stupid question. When I am about to distribute a collection of songs as one package that I made myself and are not illegal for me to give away through the technology of :filez:. How do I make it so that all of my homemade tracks have the album art and information be present when someone else downloads it?

I am getting this kind of spider sense style feeling that I am asking something that is super dumb.

It'd be the id3 tags I guess? In iTunes you can set all the track/album/author information for a track and also assign it an album art picture, I'm not 100% sure if the pic is embedded into the MP3 itself but you could test by putting in the info/pic via the "get info" option when right clicking an MP3 (in iTunes) and then copying that mp3 to another system (or portable device) and seeing if it's still there. Alternately you can just chuck some nice high-res pics into the folder with the songs and zip the whole thing up, a lot of albums are presented this way. You don't specifically need to use iTunes, most audio players should be able to do it just as well.

Walk Away posted:

Let me preface this by saying that I have no experience with creating/editing music whatsoever. I need to know how I would go about removing the vocals from a song that I have in iTunes. I've checked around and I can't get the track in something like a karaoke version, so I would have to either edit the vocals out or get someone to play the song and record it for me. Any suggestions about doing the former?

It's very difficult to remove an element from a track completely without leaving traces behind. There are filters (often seen in karaoke machines) that can suppress vocals but I think they tend to just lower the volume on a certain range of frequencies so it may impact negatively on the rest of the track or still have the vocals present but a bit more muffled.

A very popular way of getting audio with a specific track removed has been through the Rock Band games, I'm not sure of the exact method but via a practice mode or whatever you can have the backing track playing and then just not hit anything on the instrument you are supposed to be playing and record the output so you end up with a studio-mastered version of the song you want that has the guitar/bass/vocals cut out of it, that may be an possibility if your song is one of the several hundred in the current Rock Band library.
Your last option will be to either get someone to record the backing track for you, or if you can find a MIDI file for the song you could use that to create a backing track in any audio program that can map MIDI notes to sounds (ie Reaper, Logic, Cubase etc), and it will still sound pretty good.
What song are you trying to remove the vocals from?

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

I wanted to do that with 'Boss DJ' by Sublime. It's just acoustic guitar and vocals in the track.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The time and effort you would spend in removing the vocals from that greatly outweighs the time needed to simply re-record the guitar part, you'd be far better off getting someone to play that for you and it's very basic so you won't need a virtuoso guitarist to do it.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

How much should I offer to pay someone to do that? What would you consider a fair price?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I have no idea how much someone would charge for that kind of thing, but given the simplicity of the song I wouldn't think much at all, it's only four chords for the song with embellishments here and there so for an intermediate guitarist it shouldn't pose much of a challenge . Find somewhere that people are taught music (school/college/music shop) and see if one of the students or teachers are keen to have a go at it. If money came into it then I guess it'd be fair to pay for like an hours worth of lessons as an exchange for them learning the song and recording it for you. Where are you using the track? You may even be able to have a guitarist play the backing track live if that's possible in your scenario.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

RandomCheese posted:

Honestly I have no idea how much someone would charge for that kind of thing, but given the simplicity of the song I wouldn't think much at all, it's only four chords for the song with embellishments here and there so for an intermediate guitarist it shouldn't pose much of a challenge . Find somewhere that people are taught music (school/college/music shop) and see if one of the students or teachers are keen to have a go at it. If money came into it then I guess it'd be fair to pay for like an hours worth of lessons as an exchange for them learning the song and recording it for you. Where are you using the track? You may even be able to have a guitarist play the backing track live if that's possible in your scenario.

Well, my daughter does pageants. Next year's state pageant talent portion will fall on her birthday. I've always sang this song to her since she was a baby, so I was going to surprise her and sing it to her on stage once she's done with her number, along with the happy birthday song, of course. I would really just need it recorded on to a digital file, which I would be able to burn to a CD for the MC to play. I wouldn't want to drag someone out to Orange County and pay them for their time just to play one song.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
You could post a thread in SA Mart, wouldn't be surprised if someone here wouldn't be willing to do that for you.

I also have a question of my own: I play in bands sometimes, sometimes do solo/duet stuff, and I'd like to have a small something to amplify vocals. I figure a powered PA is pretty much what I want - in fact, I'm looking at this Behringer active pa/monitor. That'd be adequate for playing occasional gigs to, you know, maybe 30 people in small coffeeshop type settings, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Okay, so I've had these lying around for a while but I'm considering actually setting them up now that I have the space to do so:

The problem is I'm not really sure what use they'll be. Obviously they aren't ever going to be a pristine reference source. And even if I replace all the guts and drivers (which I've considered) they're too big and heavy to position properly for real monitoring. On the other hand, I mix entirely in headphones when I'm at home now so any speakers might be an improvement.

The crude tweeter replacement happened before I got them; I've never wired them up to see what it sounds like.

If I fixed them up I could potentially use them as a secondary source to audition mixes, or do goofy stuff like play VST instruments back through them and record the result– basically a trash mic for fake strings/rhodes/what have you. Anyone think it's worth having something like this around?

Edit: Thumbnailed.

Ferrous Wheel fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 13, 2011