Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Stare-Out posted:

You know when deciding to kill Playboy he runs out of his place and does this ACTION JUMP from his balcony to the roof of another building? One of the best things I ever saw in GTA IV was in an LP a couple of years back where they're about to go kill Playboy. All goes normally up until the cutscene, except the jump is too short and he falls down between the two buildings and does an amazingly hilarious scream on his way down while Niko just hangs in Playboy's apartment in cutscene mode. Mission accomplished. :shepface:

They haven't actually finished the LP that happened in oddly enough :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Himuro posted:

For the record, I'm playing on 360.

:smug:

Although my reward for playing on PC is getting consistently glitched on the final mission and ragequitting.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Learn to drive, not trying to be a dick.
GTA4's driving system isn't realistic enough so "experience" with other games helps you; and it isn't arcade enough for just pedal to the metal. Coming from other games just take a good hour just cruising around getting used to the controls again.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Zedd posted:

Learn to drive, not trying to be a dick.
GTA4's driving system isn't realistic enough so "experience" with other games helps you; and it isn't arcade enough for just pedal to the metal. Coming from other games just take a good hour just cruising around getting used to the controls again.

I agree, man. Learning to drive is my priority. I'm trying to remember all the fundamentals all those years ago when I first got the game.

I remember the main tip to driving in GTAIV is to take it slow, don't use handbrake except for tight corners, when you want to make a turn, treat it like driving in real like. Ergo, driving at full speed while making a turn will make your car get tipsy turvy and you will hit everything on the street, and braking is the greatest asset. It's not like other games where if you brake you will get an almost instantaneous brake -- no, you need to hold that thing for at least five seconds before you make a turn to slow your car down.

That's making things more enjoyable. GTAIV requires a specific "mode" to be in, I think. I can't play it like other sandbox games because the controls are that much more sluggish. I have to get in a frame of mind to enjoy to its fullest extent.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I recently sat down to play the GTA IV trilogy again, start to finish but deliberately without going into the friendship activities or any side missions, because I did that the first time and life's only so long. Even though I prefer Saints Row these days for general sandbox fun GTA IV is really a splendid game in its own way and fully deserving of the praise it got. That said there are a lot of things Rockstar hopefully will improve in V.

Friendships, nah. At least not in their current form. I wouldn't mind something like, you suddenly feel like some darts, so you call up a buddy and meet him right at the darts club, and there's some dialogue during the game. As it is it's just tedious routine driving from point to point, but the friend dialogues do add something important to the story.

Less formulaic mission structure. "Drive to setpiece, have a gunfight, drive away" feels like it makes up ~3/4 of GTA's missions. Also, less arbitrary restrictions on missions. "You lost the train" - yeah, guys, it's a train, on rails, I think I can figure out where it's going to go. Maybe let me get there in my own time?

Less tedious driving in general. I got really sick of having to refill my arsenal and health and buy a new bulletproof vest after almost every mission, driving all over the map. Even when you could freely call up your buddies with gun vans in the expansions, it got tedious at some point.

Also once I got to BoGT, which I was actually looking forward to replaying the most, I was so burned out on the GTA thing that I turned it right off again at the first loading screen. The main game kinds drags on for too long, at that.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Stare-Out posted:

You know when deciding to kill Playboy he runs out of his place and does this ACTION JUMP from his balcony to the roof of another building? One of the best things I ever saw in GTA IV was in an LP a couple of years back where they're about to go kill Playboy. All goes normally up until the cutscene, except the jump is too short and he falls down between the two buildings and does an amazingly hilarious scream on his way down while Niko just hangs in Playboy's apartment in cutscene mode. Mission accomplished. :shepface:

Hooo drat can we get a link of that? I remember. Being stoked at the Claude outfit

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Himuro posted:

I especially hate the two in combination with each other. Crappy boat physics, in the middle of a chase, try to handbrake to shake cops off, end up skidding into a building. Then I try to shake the cops off but can't because of the painful tedium caused by cop cars spawns and cops that are just as fast, if not faster, than me. Cue five minute car chase for a measly two stars.

I absolutely don't get this complaint. The cop AI is literally too dumb to turn a corner, all you have to do is go left or go right instead of go forward. That's all, chase is over.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Himuro posted:

Played some GTAIV for the first time in a while and I still hate the car physics and wanted system.

Help me out here, goons. For the record, I'm playing on 360.

The game rewards good driving, but good driving doesn't always equal fast driving, especially during chases. Only drive fast enough to lose line of sight, then, as soon as you hear the description of the car and your direction of travel going out on the police radio, make a turn, then another one for good measure and you're practically done.

Edit: Goes without saying, but before making the turn, take a quick look at the minimap to ensure you turn in a direction that doesn't have cop cars approaching.

a podcast for cats fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Oct 29, 2011

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Also make sure to watch the stars in the corner - if they're white, the cops can still see you so if you make a turn they'll (make a weak attempt to) follow you; if they're gray, they can't see you so make a turn and gun it to the edge of the wanted area, then stop, sit there til the stars quit flashing and you're done.

Also, never use a highway to get away from the cops. Long, straight wide-open roads are the worst place for it, especially the bridges. The cops will keep up with you, they won't lose sight of you, and if you're lucky they won't put up a roadblock right before the next exit. This goes for the long, straight streets near Central Park also, if you're in Algonquin, make as many turns as you can as often as you can, in the general direction of "away from the cops."

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Oct 29, 2011

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Tonton Macoute posted:

The game rewards good boring driving, but good and boring driving doesn't always ever equal fast fun driving, especially during chases. Only drive fast enough to lose line of sight, then, as soon as you hear the description of the car and your direction of travel going out on the police radio, make a turn, then another one for good measure and you're practically done.

Edited for accuracy. The thing to remember in GTA4 is that the developers had a boner for excising fun, and now there's almost no skill in the game. Just drive slow and boring and you'll get away from the cops every time. Make sure you use the radar zoom (down on dpad on consoles), it's really useful.

It's the same thing with the combat. Niko's horrendous lack of responsiveness will get you killed if you try anything fun, so just stand back and play whack a mole as the developers intended.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Questions if I may! Recently bought GTA complete pack off Steam, having only played GTA before on consoles.

Any up-to-date modding guides for GTA4? All the ones I can find are a couple years old and say you need patch 10.40 or something like that, is this true? How do I roll back patches via a steam game?

How will GTA4 run on a 5770, AMD Phenom X4 3.20GHz, 4GB RAM, W7 pc?

How does a wired 360 controller work in GTA4? Does it have in-game support for it? Or do I need to use Xpadder?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Well, it ran pretty well on my i5-750 (fairly similar performance)/HD5770/4 gigs, as long as I kept the settings in the recommended zone. Still a little bit of pop-in here and there. Improved with the patch that came out the same time as EFLC for PC.

It seems to be one of those games that works well for some specs and not so great on other quite similar ones.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

rizuhbull posted:

How does a wired 360 controller work in GTA4? Does it have in-game support for it? Or do I need to use Xpadder?

Beautifully, gently caress yes, absolutely not. I still get a touch of input delay, but it's a lot better than WASD.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm amazed at how fast the vehicle damage system works in SA compared to IV, you aren't careful then in less than three hits and your car is a twisted half written off piece of junk.

And I'm so loving glad the Episodes mixed some things much with the missions and weaponry.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Friar Zucchini posted:

Beautifully, gently caress yes, absolutely not. I still get a touch of input delay, but it's a lot better than WASD.
What?

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

K8.0 posted:

Edited for accuracy. The thing to remember in GTA4 is that the developers had a boner for excising fun, and now there's almost no skill in the game. Just drive slow and boring and you'll get away from the cops every time. Make sure you use the radar zoom (down on dpad on consoles), it's really useful.

That's bullshit, I've been playing through it again, and I've pretty much tossed most of the reasonable/"boring" driving strategies out the window, and I'm still doing everything more or less fine (there are misadventures here and there, especially when trying sharp turns in shittier cars/trucks). When driving full speed, you need to start applying the brakes much earlier than your turn, and not constantly.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Himuro posted:

Played some GTAIV for the first time in a while and I still hate the car physics and wanted system. They are just awful.

I especially hate the two in combination with each other. Crappy boat physics, in the middle of a chase, try to handbrake to shake cops off, end up skidding into a building. Then I try to shake the cops off but can't because of the painful tedium caused by cop cars spawns and cops that are just as fast, if not faster, than me. Cue five minute car chase for a measly two stars.

I just get so frustrated because clearly I'm missing something that wouldn't make this whole process so annoying, but I never have fun with it. It doesn't help that the map is so ridiculously small, even on my hdtv.

I really like GTAIV, but then every time I try to play it something gets in the way of my enjoyment, either the slow, sluggish controls, or the lack of a modernized melee system, or the crappy car physics that makes every vehicle feel like a boat, to the fact the first 20-25 missions are nothing but tutorials, to the horrific wanted system.

Help me out here, goons. For the record, I'm playing on 360.
Dont use the handbrake until you aren't terrible at driving. All you have to do to lose the police is take a turn before they see you, then keep an eye on the radar to make sure you aren't going to t-bone any cop cars. Ive already been all through this with you though because I still remember all your complaining so I dont think this will help much.

edit: beaten, hello new page!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I hope GTA V has more television channels/shows/places to watch them.

Sometimes in GTA IV you could get into a safehouse and start watching TV despite being wanted (usually being wanted disabled the prompt to watch TV) and then cops would eventually get into thee room and walk in front of your TV. They try to arrest or kill you but they can't while you're watching TV, it's great.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
The driving isn't that much different than SA, the cars are just a lot more slippery feeling so you have to slow down to make fast turns or you'll just skid sideways and overshoot, or plain out roll over in some of the SUV's and trucks.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

trandorian posted:

Sometimes in GTA IV you could get into a safehouse and start watching TV despite being wanted (usually being wanted disabled the prompt to watch TV) and then cops would eventually get into thee room and walk in front of your TV. They try to arrest or kill you but they can't while you're watching TV, it's great.
"Can't arrest me po-po, I'm watching Ricky Gervais."

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

trandorian posted:

Honestly they should just make it part of the game and have the cops sit down next to you and stare slack-jawed at the screen until you're done. It'd actually fit with the theme of the game of pretty much everyone in Liberty City being a dumb, shallow arsehole.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
One thing I have to say is that after visiting/living in NYC for a minute, I like the game even more. This will be my NYC game. My sweet home that isn't my home anymore :smith:

Also, one thing I want added to GTAV that Rockstar continuously ignores: audio settings. Hey guys, when I turn down sound effect volume in these games, guess why I'm doing it? Because the stupid car engines are louder than the character's voices and even the music. So when I turn down the sound effect audio, I'd like to hear the character's actually speak for a change.

Have three settings:

Music volume
Voice volume
Sound effect volume

Stop putting voices and sound effects on the same track!

Cage posted:

Dont use the handbrake until you aren't terrible at driving. All you have to do to lose the police is take a turn before they see you, then keep an eye on the radar to make sure you aren't going to t-bone any cop cars. Ive already been all through this with you though because I still remember all your complaining so I dont think this will help much.

edit: beaten, hello new page!

No, I remember, and I've been using your video for reference, thanks.

I'm getting a hang of things again, have patience. This isn't a pick up and play game at all.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Himuro posted:

Also, one thing I want added to GTAV that Rockstar continuously ignores: audio settings. Hey guys, when I turn down sound effect volume in these games, guess why I'm doing it? Because the stupid car engines are louder than the character's voices and even the music. So when I turn down the sound effect audio, I'd like to hear the character's actually speak for a change.

This is probably because you have your sound setup configured wrong and the game is trying to play the voices through your nonexistent center speaker.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I have it set to stereo...

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

rizuhbull posted:

What?
To clarify:

rizuhbull posted:

How does a wired 360 controller work in GTA4?
Beautifully.

rizuhbull posted:

Does it have in-game support for it?
Yes.

rizuhbull posted:

Or do I need to use Xpadder?
No.

I still get a touch of input delay, but it's a lot better than WASD. The driving mechanics require a lot more subtlety than all-or-nothing gas or brakes, and the triggers on the 360 controller accomplish that quite nicely.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Friar Zucchini posted:

To clarify:

Beautifully.

Yes.

No.

I still get a touch of input delay, but it's a lot better than WASD. The driving mechanics require a lot more subtlety than all-or-nothing gas or brakes, and the triggers on the 360 controller accomplish that quite nicely.
Alright, thanks.

Anyone wanna post about modding? :D

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

They haven't actually finished the LP that happened in oddly enough :shepface:
Hey, we're almost done. Doctor Roosevelt is moving though and the probability of his hard drive being damaged in the process is roughly 105%, so we'll probably be starting over soon.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Himuro posted:

I have it set to stereo...

In windows? That kind of thing is really common in games when you have that sort of sound configuration issue, and I've never heard anyone complain that it was hard to hear voice work in GTA, they manage the volume levels really well.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

K8.0 posted:

In windows? That kind of thing is really common in games when you have that sort of sound configuration issue, and I've never heard anyone complain that it was hard to hear voice work in GTA, they manage the volume levels really well.

360 version.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
So is it just me, or is the Uranus the best car in all of 4?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I really did like Rockstar's attempt to push a more serious story and hope it continues with GTAIV. That's not to say that GTAIV doesn't have issues. It floats around themes of corruption and the futility of the American Dream without actually making any real statement. Red Dead Redemption surpassed it in actually having some sort of thesis.

I'm pretty content with having Saints Row be my crazy crime sandbox and GTA being my more serious crime drama with satirical elements. With that said, one thing Rockstar really needs to work on is their gender politics. As great a character as Tony was, Bernie stands in direct opposition to him. GTAIV also really over-relied on the humor in conservative men being closeted homosexuals. We see it with Bernie's boyfriend, the Republican Space Rangers, and Brucie. It would also be nice to see women that are not either girlfriends or crazy. GTAIV's one was not enough.

Someone made a great point in the Saint's Row thread about how Saint's Row might be a bit juvenile in it's humor, you can play the game as a transexual and hangout with female, African American, and Hispanic characters that do not fall into cheap stereotypes. If Rockstar really wants to set the bar of video game storytelling higher then I think they really need to make more thoughtful considerations for how they depict people.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

I don't even remember which one that is! But I'm gonna have to say Blista Compact is the best.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Underflow posted:

Come to think of it, there should be either a dedicated Rockstar rating where anything goes, or a FYIPAG one - gently caress You I'm Playing A Game.

Red Dead Redemption: 12/10

I'm actually fond of San Andreas the most come to think it. The "gang war" feature was only prominent in the beginning and end of the game so it wasn't a deal breaker for me.

There was alot of variations in the kind of missions you took on. You worked on your criminal empire, you worked for a blind Chinese dude, a washed up rapper AND a shady government agent. You also could buy properties all over the map in the cities and in the country side which gave you alot of places to save and not just 3-4 (GTA 4 :argh:).

Also I really liked the control you had in customizing your appearance. I enjoyed that you could through the whole game with an average build, completely ripped, or morbidly obese. The amount of clothes and accessories you could buy for your 3D gangster barbie appealed to my :gay: side.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Coffee And Pie posted:

It looks awesome with the body kit, but its slow and fwd. :(

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Timeless Appeal posted:

I really did like Rockstar's attempt to push a more serious story and hope it continues with GTAIV. That's not to say that GTAIV doesn't have issues. It floats around themes of corruption and the futility of the American Dream without actually making any real statement. Red Dead Redemption surpassed it in actually having some sort of thesis.

I'm pretty content with having Saints Row be my crazy crime sandbox and GTA being my more serious crime drama with satirical elements. With that said, one thing Rockstar really needs to work on is their gender politics. As great a character as Tony was, Bernie stands in direct opposition to him. GTAIV also really over-relied on the humor in conservative men being closeted homosexuals. We see it with Bernie's boyfriend, the Republican Space Rangers, and Brucie. It would also be nice to see women that are not either girlfriends or crazy. GTAIV's one was not enough.

Someone made a great point in the Saint's Row thread about how Saint's Row might be a bit juvenile in it's humor, you can play the game as a transexual and hangout with female, African American, and Hispanic characters that do not fall into cheap stereotypes. If Rockstar really wants to set the bar of video game storytelling higher then I think they really need to make more thoughtful considerations for how they depict people.

My problem with the serious story in IV is that it clashes with whatever else you see in the game. The game intro starts out with Niko finding the ship's captain being whipped (or whipping, I can't remember) in a sexually derogatory manner. This is so random and adds absolutely nothing to the intro. It's just there, it's some random vignette of juvenile humor. The entire game is like this.

I'm not saying you can't have laughter in a serious story, but gently caress. You want me to take your story seriously when you have vans called Groupe Sechs? Isn't that kind of counter-intuitive? Make up your minds.

The thing about Saints Row is that while its humor can be juvenile and tongue in cheek, it is still ultimately the most progressive game on the market. GTA in comparison is very misogynistic and homophobic, and always has been. I don't see this changing unless they get new writers.

I think TLAD was a lot better in sticking consistent with the overall story, though. TLAD is a better story of the futility of the American Dream than Red Dead Redemption's ever was with its overly preachy self. TLAD was GTAIV done right.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 29, 2011

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Himuro posted:

The thing about Saints Row is that while its humor can be juvenile and tongue in cheek, it is still ultimately the most progressive game on the market. GTA in comparison is very misogynistic and homophobic, and always has been. I don't see this changing unless they get new writers.

I'm loving my play through of part 4 right now (first time just got it on steam during the sale) but I see what you are saying. It reminds me of Torchwood the TV show. It was supposed to be an adult spin off of Doctor Who but instead we got a lot of juvenile writing with sexy aliens... weird.

It's a strange mix. Personally as long as Saint's Row keeps covering the ridiculous sandbox goofiness I'd love part 5 to be an even more serious take on the crime world but this time with good writing (I know, I know, it's a video game but come on we have to make progress right?).

Your complaint about the map from the previous page is spot on. It's fine normally but when in a chase it suddenly zooms out to where you can't see any upcoming streets because it's so small.

I do like the idea of each GTA being something new just like the Final Fantasy series. If it ever goes to complete poo poo you can just change it up.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Yeah. There's disconnect when I play IV. On one hand, I like the serious overtones, on the other, the misogyny and homophobia feels more juvenile than spraying poo poo on buildings in Saints Row. Then I go driving for a bit, and listen to the radio and I see a game conflicted as to what it wants to be. It's not full on comedic, but it has nods that defined GTAIII trilogy's juvenile shtick; but on the other hand it's not full on serious, and fails to be so, because Niko goes from "I promised I wouldn't kill people here" to wasting three dudes on one mission to Little Jacob in about five minutes.

This is partially why I couldn't get into Gay Tony. It tries to be silly and comedic in a setting that ill suited for it. The end result is a game that feels like its head is stuck up its own rear end, extremely so.

Of course, it could be argued that if GTA is a satire of America, then it rightfully should show what American society values and dis-values, right? So it could be interpreted as how the general American public feels, but I don't think that for a long shot.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 29, 2011

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Fayez Butts posted:

I don't even remember which one that is! But I'm gonna have to say Blista Compact is the best.

The Blista's nice and quick, good in the corners too (FWD helps with that some IMO) but I like the Turismo a lot, it's fast and it's generally easy to avoid oversteer so you can actually get where you're going without spinning around at every turn. The Feltzer is great too, it's basically the Elegy of the GTA 4 era - far too much wheel spin if you're trying to seriously go somewhere, but great fun if you just wanna drift around corners all day long.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Tony Prince himself was a pretty decent character I though; miles above that one from vanilla gta4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Himuro posted:

You want me to take your story seriously when you have vans called Groupe Sechs?
Goddamn I've played every GTA since III and I only just now got this. gently caress.

• Locked thread