Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Ammat The Ankh posted:

"Windy thing" does seem like a pretty weaksauce power now that we have a dog-lady who can shrink planets.

I'm pretty sure being the Hero of Breath is also meant in the metaphysical/spiritual sense, not just physical control of air. In almost all of human history breath has had religious connections to the spirit/life. Jade and Dave have control over physical properties of existence, space and time, and John and Rose have control over the more metaphysical properties, life and fate.

Jade is ridiculously overpowered now compared to everyone else though, so I'm looking forward to seeing how Hussie handles this development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

aegof posted:

Pretty sure Jade's got him beat in that, too.

Remember how Nanasprite and Calsprite were shooting lasers around when they got in fights? And remember how Becsprite could shoot an even bigger ultralaser since he could put the Green Sun behind it? Jade's got the powers of a sprite in addition to everything else.

Well, the hero space isn't really supposed to be a sprite and a first guardian in addition to godtier. If this was a normally weighted game, she would just have the spacey thing, making John's advantage being in directness.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It's also kinda implied that John's class becomes a combat monster in the late game. Maybe he's just supposed to kill the poo poo out of things to protect the time/space duo's ridiculous plans.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Well Manicured Man posted:

I'm pretty sure being the Hero of Breath is also meant in the metaphysical/spiritual sense, not just physical control of air. In almost all of human history breath has had religious connections to the spirit/life. Jade and Dave have control over physical properties of existence, space and time, and John and Rose have control over the more metaphysical properties, life and fate.

Jade is ridiculously overpowered now compared to everyone else though, so I'm looking forward to seeing how Hussie handles this development.

This is what I was about to say. John's power isn't over wind, it's over 'breath'. The power of breath could manifest as wind, yes, but there can also be much more to it. If it were just over wind, why not call it breeze or something like that?

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Waffnuffly posted:

This seems awfully likely, actually. In fact, VW's drawing of Jade's planet has always shown the volcano EXPLODING MEGA-HUGE-LIKE, which it hasn't done yet. Maybe the tadpole is supposed to fall into the lava, warm up and grow, then get launched into Skaia by the volcano when it erupts, which is how the frog gets to the Skaia pond thing we saw in the Troll session (before Jack hosed it all up). In the mean time, the kids would theoretically be preparing the Skaia pond and protecting it from meteors and stuff.

At the risk of sounding crude, this also fits with the symbolism of the larger creation story, with Skaia being the ovum and the genesis tadpole being a spermatozoon ejected into it.

This is incredibly silly.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

loquacius posted:

Odd how Karkat keeps using the past tense to describe how Gamzee WAS his best friend, over and over. At the time I (like everybody else) assumed that meant he was dead, but I guess not!!! Is moirallegiance considered a completely different thing, or is he just too goddamn terrified of him to consider him a best friend anymore?

On another note, it really feels like Homestuck has made it in the world when searching "Homestuck" on a smartphone ringtone app yields 9 relevant results.

on a third, completely unrelated note, Showtime is now my ringtone

It used to be that Gamzee was Karkat's moirail. Now it's the opposite.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Zoolooman posted:

It used to be that Gamzee was Karkat's moirail. Now it's the opposite.

Aren't they always each other's Moirail? I'm pretty sure Eridan and Feferi both referred to each other as such.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Yeah, moirail is a a two way street. One is meant to calm the other member, but the act of doing so is supposed to be a benefit to the other as well.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Aren't they always each other's Moirail? I'm pretty sure Eridan and Feferi both referred to each other as such.

Yeah, moirallegiance is always mutual. It's also apparently different than "best friends," which is why Karkat said it was a troll thing and John would only get confused if he tried to explain.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

More like John would be all "oh i get it it's like [something completely different probably related to a bad movie or star trek] that makes sense thanks buddy!" and then Karkat would have an aneurysm trying to explain it again so it's not so much about John not getting it as Karkat trying to keep all his veins from popping from sheer anger.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

There's platonic friendship and then there's moirallegiance, just like how platonic hate is different from kismesitude. I'd guess that what Karkat gets out of his moirallegiance is the sense that at least one part of life isn't falling into horrific shambles all around him. He can actually do something and take care of Gamzee (and by extension, the rest of his friends) :unsmith:

Well Manicured Man posted:

This makes me wonder if a hero with an aspect like Breath or Blood is responsible for giving the newly created universe its first spark of life, and also which aspects/minimum number of players are absolutely necessary for a game session to actually get anywhere. I think Time and Space have been implied to be constants already.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Also just to blab one more time about Volume 8, Frog Hunt is a very fun tune. Very jam band. But Gust of Heir has to be the chillest track on the album. Bowman's "Even in Death" remix is nice. Aside from other changes I like how adding in a violin and softening the orchestral stabs really changes the texture without deviating all that far from the original at all.

Infinity Mechanism is still probably my favorite overall. Very driving sound. It owns.

robbingdog
Oct 29, 2011

QueerPope posted:

Well, the hero space isn't really supposed to be a sprite and a first guardian in addition to godtier. If this was a normally weighted game, she would just have the spacey thing, making John's advantage being in directness.

Isn't it stated that Sburb plans things so that players are given advantage which make them better suited to their mythological roles, i.e. Rose's connection to the horrorterrors helping her as a Seer? Considering the nature of paradox space, there isn't really such a thing as an event in the alpha timeline being "not supposed to be".

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

robbingdog posted:

Isn't it stated that Sburb plans things so that players are given advantage which make them better suited to their mythological roles, i.e. Rose's connection to the horrorterrors helping her as a Seer? Considering the nature of paradox space, there isn't really such a thing as an event in the alpha timeline being "not supposed to be".

In the kid's session, yeah, it was supposed to happen. But the way that the game would have normally gone without any weird glitches showing up then the hero of space would not have ended up this overpowered.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

QueerPope posted:

In the kid's session, yeah, it was supposed to happen. But the way that the game would have normally gone without any weird glitches showing up then the hero of space would not have ended up this overpowered.

Yeah, it's really important to make the distinction between what happened in the sessions we've seen and what would normally happen in a (successful) SBURB session.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
On the subject of the new album, Calamity is one hell of an album-opener. I think I like Revered Return better than Scourge Sisters too. But just about everything is so fantastic!

I decided to do another bit of fan music. I don't do enough stuff in major keys, so I decided to work in a bit of Blood Covered Walls along with the Chorale theme.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Also just to blab one more time about Volume 8, Frog Hunt is a very fun tune. Very jam band. But Gust of Heir has to be the chillest track on the album. Bowman's "Even in Death" remix is nice. Aside from other changes I like how adding in a violin and softening the orchestral stabs really changes the texture without deviating all that far from the original at all.

Infinity Mechanism is still probably my favorite overall. Very driving sound. It owns.

Everything from Havoc to Lotus just blends into one progressive supertrack for me (which is awesome), except for Revered Return, which I can't really figure out. I love it, but like, what is it meant to be?

But yeah, very few of the tracks are standalone listening for me, I've been treating volume 8 as three experimental prog rock albums glued together (split roughly into thirds). Haven't listened to it out of order yet, and that's how I like it.

KoB
May 1, 2009

robbingdog posted:

This was just conjecture from the Trolls wasnt it? Later Kanaya said that she thought that Sburb might even assign roles to challenge players.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Renaissance Robot posted:

Everything from Havoc to Lotus just blends into one progressive supertrack for me (which is awesome), except for Revered Return, which I can't really figure out. I love it, but like, what is it meant to be?

Going by the title, the track art and the older songs it quotes I was assuming it's basically a theme for the hypothetical return of Vriska.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
So wait, what was the deal with Doc Scratch in the end? Since that universe is over, was the 'death' he wanted a result of the end of the universe? Or did he really die because Hussie shook him to death.

I'm gonna have to go back and read that conversation he had with Rose.

Also why is Karkat not turning his back on the body? Argh, Scratch!!!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

thanks alot assbag posted:

So wait, what was the deal with Doc Scratch in the end? Since that universe is over, was the 'death' he wanted a result of the end of the universe? Or did he really die because Hussie shook him to death.

I'm gonna have to go back and read that conversation he had with Rose.

Also why is Karkat not turning his back on the body? Argh, Scratch!!!

Doc Scratch said that his death would be simultaneous with everything else going down, so he probably wasn't dead dead until the universe ended.

It was stated either in the comic or in one of Andrew's Formspring answers that "don't turn your back on the body" was basically Scratch pranking Karkat.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Scratch wanted to die because his mission was to summon Lord English.

Lord English is summoned when the universe ends.

When the universe in it, everything still living in it dies.

It's kind of a weird illogically logical thing scratch does. Everything he says makes perfect sense, for a very loose definition of "sense".

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

standard owl posted:

This makes me wonder if a hero with an aspect like Breath or Blood is responsible for giving the newly created universe its first spark of life, and also which aspects/minimum number of players are absolutely necessary for a game session to actually get anywhere. I think Time and Space have been implied to be constants already.

I've been thinking the same thing. I could see breath being related to creation in the same way that light is related to luck/fate--even more so if you think of it in the context of creation myths. Also there was that scene with Tavros and Vriska when she was dying. I know that all the princes/princesses of the moons can restore life with a kiss, but I'm pretty sure that his is the only case where you see that little breeze symbol coming out of his mouth. Of course, we never got to see what would have happened there, because Vriska.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It wouldn't surprise me if it comes down to Karkat in the God-Tier being the only way for Vriska to come back to life. His powers seem primarily about calming and leading people, but it wouldn't surprise me if in the God Tier he basically fulfills the Christ metaphor and brings Vriska back to life as everyone is crying at the glory of their savior, Jegus the Karkat

e: or everyone else for that matter, though I assume there's a possible shennanigan that would allow them to come back in the God Tier.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 30, 2011

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Esme posted:

I've been thinking the same thing. I could see breath being related to creation in the same way that light is related to luck/fate--even more so if you think of it in the context of creation myths. Also there was that scene with Tavros and Vriska when she was dying. I know that all the princes/princesses of the moons can restore life with a kiss, but I'm pretty sure that his is the only case where you see that little breeze symbol coming out of his mouth. Of course, we never got to see what would have happened there, because Vriska.

I don't know, to me it looks more like he's inhaling in preparation/psyche up, with the wind gust just being a sort of stylized way of showing it. It doesn't really even match up with the actual Hero of Breath symbol and I kind of feel like it would have shown up again once the situation repeated itself with John (Hero of Breath) kissing Rose (Hero of Light) if it was that important.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Zorak posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if it comes down to Karkat in the God-Tier being the only way for Vriska to come back to life. His powers seem primarily about calming and leading people, but it wouldn't surprise me if in the God Tier he basically fulfills the Christ metaphor and brings Vriska back to life as everyone is crying at the glory of their savior, Jegus the Karkat

I suppose where coming back to life yourself is a fairly standard power, bringing someone else back to life might be something...

I wonder what would happen if, say, John used his breathy thing on a not perfectly fresh corpse actually. That would be...something. I'd say nothing would happen, but god tier powers.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
If we never have to see Vriska again I'll be over the moon. I couldn't get over how well she got on considering what she did to people simply because she was a huge bitch.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nilbop posted:

If we never have to see Vriska again I'll be over the moon. I couldn't get over how well she got on considering what she did to people simply because she was a huge bitch.

She was an extremely well developed character.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

King of Solomon posted:

She was an extremely well developed character.

She was an extremely well developed rear end in a top hat.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

I thought Vriska was pretty okay.

Mazerunner posted:

I don't know, to me it looks more like he's inhaling in preparation/psyche up, with the wind gust just being a sort of stylized way of showing it. It doesn't really even match up with the actual Hero of Breath symbol and I kind of feel like it would have shown up again once the situation repeated itself with John (Hero of Breath) kissing Rose (Hero of Light) if it was that important.

Yeah, this is definitely a possibility. It's vague enough that Hussie could take it either way.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
Oh boy, is it time for a repeat of every Vriskachat we've ever had? I'll get the popcorn if you bring the soda :allears:

I'm kind of banking on Vriska staying dead but nothing would surprise me at this point.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

dumb brunette posted:

Oh boy, is it time for a repeat of every Vriskachat we've ever had? I'll get the popcorn if you bring the soda :allears:

I'm kind of banking on Vriska staying dead but nothing would surprise me at this point.

I'd really rather not bring it back up. The thread just came back a few days ago, drat it. We've basically had one set of updates.

:smith:

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I've no idea what Vriskachat is because I've stayed clear of this thread until recently, but I can see where this is going so I'll keep schtum.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
Regarding the windy thing, here's a reminder of the tavros scene mentioned if you've forgotten: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005003

Yeah it could be that tavros was going for the straightforward smoochcorpse/wake up the dreamself thing, but I'd bet that breath power thing is there for a reason. John very likely has more powers than we've seen, possibly to do with bringing back the dead. I anticipate a restored WV, for the record.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Nilbop posted:

I've no idea what Vriskachat is because I've stayed clear of this thread until recently, but I can see where this is going so I'll keep schtum.

All you really need to know is that when Hivebent was in its prime and Vriska kept doing crazy things, people would get into pages-long arguments about whether she was a good or bad character anytime she was onscreen (and often when she wasn't).

I don't check the MSPA forums because :gonk: but I'm pretty sure they still do this religiously. Almost as a form of entertainment.

EDIT: Yeah I don't think WV is down for good either, though I can't imagine what's going to happen to revive him.

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 30, 2011

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

Fagtastic posted:

Regarding the windy thing, here's a reminder if you've forgotten: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005003

Yeah it could be that tavros was going for the straightforward smoochcorpse/wake up the dreamself thing, but I'd bet that breath power thing is there for a reason. John very likely has more powers than we've seen, possibly to do with bringing back the dead. I anticipate a restored WV, for the record.

I can't imagine WV staying dead permanently after being killed so...out of the blue like that. Not in this comic. I am super excited that it was PM who ended up with the ring, though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

dumb brunette posted:

All you really need to know is that when Hivebent was in its prime and Vriska kept doing crazy things, people would get into pages-long arguments about whether she was a good or bad character anytime she was onscreen (and often when she wasn't).

I don't check the MSPA forums because :gonk: but I'm pretty sure they still do this religiously. Almost as a form of entertainment.

To add to this, (if I remember correctly) it got so bad at one point that it was actually banned from the thread. It basically ruined the thread whenever it came back because it got so ridiculous.

It was not the only topic that got like this, but it was certainly the worst of them.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

dumb brunette posted:

EDIT: Yeah I don't think WV is down for good either, though I can't imagine what's going to happen to revive him.

Possibly the ring also confers restorative powers, considering it gives it's bearer enough power to destroy the universe. It's possible, right?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

dumb brunette posted:

Were we to take Hussie literally, possible nothing. He's not dead yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Nilbop posted:

Possibly the ring also confers restorative powers, considering it gives it's bearer enough power to destroy the universe. It's possible, right?

Well the ring does give the ability to keep a sword in your torso with no ill effect. What's the difference between a self-inflicted sword wound and a foe-inflcited grab wound, really, in the grand scheme of things?