Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
I loved how Rider sticks up for Waver, he really does own. I would've totally joined him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You know, for both being giant hulking monstrosities with no ability to speak, Zero Berserker and F/SN Berserker manage to have completely different auras about them.

EDIT: Also, Lancer and Saber in stereo owned.

Also, Caster's VA needs to win every voice acting award ever. Holy poo poo.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 29, 2011

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Oh man this gets better and better. Can't wait 'till next week for more episodes of Fate/Rider Owns.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

So I was just thinking that we hadn't seen Kariya for a while or Berserker at all, and then guess who should show up and be awesome? His worms looked a bit different to the ones in the dungeon, but I doubt that goes anywhere. Also, it's great to see Alexander standing up for his kitten :3:. Just waiting for Kiritsugu to get going...

BlitzBlast posted:

For anyone who wants to try piecing together Berserker's identity, this episode drops some major clues. First, he's in armor so he's clearly a knight. Second, he's skilled with all sorts of weapons. Third, he has an aura that completely masks his identity. And fourth, his only command was to kill, and after dealing with the biggest threat, he headed straight for Saber.

Well the second doesn't mean anything to me, but the obvious suspect seems to be Modred, and in second place that king Arthur fought at the beginning of his reign who had a cloak trimmed with subject kings' beards - in the "real" stories anyway; maybe in the Nasuverse he wanted her hair?. Then again the "Bluebeard = Gilles de Rais" thing made no sense to me, so what's my guess worth? (Edit: No I meant how we're supposed to infer from "call me Bluebeard" that he's Gilles.)

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 29, 2011

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

House Louse posted:

Well the second doesn't mean anything to me, but the obvious suspect seems to be Modred, and in second place that king Arthur fought at the beginning of his reign who had a cloak trimmed with subject kings' beards - in the "real" stories anyway; maybe in the Nasuverse he wanted her hair?. Then again the "Bluebeard = Gilles de Rais" thing made no sense to me, so what's my guess worth?

Gilles de Rais was SUSPECTED of doing occult activity, but nobody really knows the detail. So Urobochi just had some fun and made it looks like he actually studied about 'lovercraftian' gods. Hence the "cthulhu fhtagn" quote, and the fish-eyed appearance of a inhabitant of Innsmouth.

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

For anyone who wants to try piecing together Berserker's identity, this episode drops some major clues. First, he's in armor so he's clearly a knight. Second, he's skilled with all sorts of weapons. Third, he has an aura that completely masks his identity. And fourth, his only command was to kill, and after dealing with the biggest threat, he headed straight for Saber.

That plus the ED picture also helps

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

House Louse posted:

Well the second doesn't mean anything to me, but the obvious suspect seems to be Modred, and in second place that king Arthur fought at the beginning of his reign who had a cloak trimmed with subject kings' beards - in the "real" stories anyway; maybe in the Nasuverse he wanted her hair?. Then again the "Bluebeard = Gilles de Rais" thing made no sense to me, so what's my guess worth? (Edit: No I meant how we're supposed to infer from "call me Bluebeard" that he's Gilles.)

The second hint means that whoever Berserker was, he had to have been a very, very skilled knight, not just some random guy nobody knows about like Fake Assassin. Also, the third hint is extremely important.

Hint removed!

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 29, 2011

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Yeah, that's probably a little too much with that last one. It reveals something that the anime hasn't about Berserker. I came in already knowing almost all the identities, so it doesn't phase me much, but that's just not quite explicit yet.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

BlitzBlast posted:

The second hint means -HERE LAY SPOILERS- Also, the third hint is extremely important.

My next spoiler is a pretty big hint, so don't highlight it if you still want to guess: -SPOILERS WERE HERE-

(If my spoilers are getting to be too much, just ask me to remove this).

As someone who already read the translation and knows who Berserker is, I'm going to ask you to remove those hints. Leading people along with 'hints' might seem like fun at first, but the only two things this can lead to is A: the hints are too vague and so people just get frustrated, or B: the hints are to obvious and everyone figures it out, removing the dramatic tension or shock from the 'reveal'.

This isn't a mystery anime where the goal is to use subtle clues in order to reach for the truth. If someone can figure it out from the information the show gives out, that's fine, but this thread should be about news, reactions, and speculation, not hints or spoilers.

If somebody who DOESN'T know Berserker's identity wants to speculate on it though that's fine. Its actually quite fun to read people's guesses and reasoning!

Scrree fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 29, 2011

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Hey guys, quit being overly coy with spoilers. Thanks.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

jonjonaug posted:

Hey guys, quit being overly coy with spoilers. Thanks.

Yeah seriously.

It's one thing to say "the anime has already shown enough to guess what the identity is".

It's another thing to go and point out exactly what's a clue and thus reveal what's not a clue as well. Even responding with black out spoiler text is really poor sport.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, I have no idea why people do that sort of thing. Discussion and guess work is fine, but going OH BY THE WAY DARTH VADER IS A REAL "DADDY" EH? EH? EHHHHHHHHHHH? is just kinda dumb.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Dammit, I didn't realise that quoting you in order to ask you to edit out the spoiler would reveal it! Fortunately I didn't see anything spoilerish, but yes, it seems you've spoiled a clue too far, probably better to cut it.

BlitzBlast posted:

The second hint means that whoever Berserker was, he had to have been a very, very skilled knight, not just some random guy nobody knows about like Fake Assassin. Also, the third hint is extremely important.

Well, if the third wasn't true, we wouldn't be speculating! :v: I reasoned that it's someone from Arthurian legend who hated Arthur, and it's not Morgan le Fay because he's a knight. Modred's the first guy to come to mind, he's in Sabre's ED pic (clever stuff if I'm right, ufotable), and he hid his true identity while he planned his rebellion.) As for being very skilled, well, weren't they all? These are supposedly the biggest heroes of all time, so I didn't think much of it. The wrinkle is the ED pic of Berserker by the lake, implying either Sir Lancelot du Lac (but that doesn't make sense unless Nasuverse Gueneviere and Lancelot were both gay men, which seems a little far-fetched, or Sir Bedivere, who was loyal to Arthur.) But in a world where King Arthur's a woman and Gilgamesh summons hundreds of swords, reasoning from the original stories will only get you so far...

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Moving away from the current discussion, was there any particular reason why Kiritsugu felt he had to count down from six before be took his shot?

I'm guessing the writers did it for dramatic effect, but that doesn't mesh with Kiritsugu's methods.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Randomzx posted:

Gilles de Rais was SUSPECTED of doing occult activity, but nobody really knows the detail. So Urobochi just had some fun and made it looks like he actually studied about 'lovercraftian' gods. Hence the "cthulhu fhtagn" quote, and the fish-eyed appearance of a inhabitant of Innsmouth.
In his trial there was a testimony that accused him of obtaining magical books from an occultist called Prelati and trying repeatedly to summon demons. I like the fact that Caster's noble phantasm is called "Prelati's Spellbook" and it seems quite fitting that his main ability is to summon monsters.

BlitzBlast posted:

Moving away from the current discussion, was there any particular reason why Kiritsugu felt he had to count down from six before be took his shot?
Probably to time his sniping with Maya's attack on Assassin.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Hahaha, Casters voice actor is amazing. So goddamn over the top.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm guessing the writers did it for dramatic effect, but that doesn't mesh with Kiritsugu's methods.
Timing his attack with Maiya's on Assassin, yeah. If he went before Maiya, Assasin would have went for him, and if Maiya went before him, Kayneth would have realized there were snipers about.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Berserker is amazing. Totally worth the wait. Don't even care who he is, as long as he keeps doing stuff like that. Hope he uses some interesting things as his Noble Phantasm.

And Rider running him down was excellent. And Rider waving Waver around near the end. And Rider basically bringing Gilgamesh and Berserker out of hiding with insults. I guess what I'm saying is that Rider is great.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm a bit confused, did Kiritsugu actually shoot, or was he interrupted by Rider?

I find it rather ironic that both Gilgamesh and Alexander the Great have ruled from Babylon, but historically I'm pretty sure Alexander ruled a larger area of land, assuming there even was a historical Gilgamesh. After all, "ruling the world" has generally always implied the known world.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

In some legends/stories Arthur has a scabbard that stops bleeding or otherwise is supposed to stop its owner from dying, have they mentioned that at all (and I just forgot), is that what's stopping her from dying already, or "wait and see"?
Also, since Arthur is a woman how does Gwenhwyfar* fit into the whole thing now? It's certainly not an issue if their (plus Lancelet) relationship is essentially unchanged, I'm just curious if they bring it up at all. As for Berzerker it sure seems like he has some personal grudge with Sabre, it would be awesome if it turned out to be Morgaine, but she is in no way a knight so I assume she's right out. Berzerker identity speculation: If my guesses that he has something to do with Arthurian legend is correct the list is pretty short. Maybe it's Lance, just for added crazy angst:aaa:. It's probably Mordred though, based on the ending stills

McDragon posted:

I guess what I'm saying is that Rider is great.
and this.

*I'm using the spellings from Mists of Avalon, which was decided by a coin toss between that book and Mary Stuart's.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

a kitten posted:

In some legends/stories Arthur has a scabbard that stops bleeding or otherwise is supposed to stop its owner from dying, have they mentioned that at all (and I just forgot), is that what's stopping her from dying already, or "wait and see"?

It's mentioned already in Fate/Stay Zero. Hasn't come up officially yet in this series.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

a kitten posted:

If you remember, the scabbard is the relic that the Einzberns dug up and Kiritsugu used as a catalyst to summon Saber in the first place, so it's safe to assume that she has said scabbard with her.

More on the scabbard and its abilities are in Fate/stay Night. Not going to talk about what it can and can't do, though.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

a kitten posted:

Also, since Arthur is a woman how does Gwenhwyfar* fit into the whole thing now? It's certainly not an issue if their (plus Lancelet) relationship is essentially unchanged, I'm just curious if they bring it up at all. As for Berzerker it sure seems like he has some personal grudge with Sabre, it would be awesome if it turned out to be Morgaine, but she is in no way a knight so I assume she's right out. Berzerker identity speculation: If my guesses that he has something to do with Arthurian legend is correct the list is pretty short. Maybe it's Lance, just for added crazy angst:aaa:. It's probably Mordred though, based on the ending stills

and this.

*I'm using the spellings from Mists of Avalon, which was decided by a coin toss between that book and Mary Stuart's.

Saber's scabbard was seen in episode 1 as part of the ritual to summon her. It grants its wielder the ability to heal wounds and prevent aging when Saber is supplying it with prana (so it's mostly just a piece of never-aging metal until after Saber is summoned). Nothing has been mentioned about it since then though, I think.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 30, 2011

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

a kitten posted:

The scabbard was shown in episode 1, remember? It was the artifact they used as a catalyst to summon Saber in the first place. They haven't shown what became of it after that, however. Though if you remember your Fate Stay/Night spoilers you might have a pretty good idea of where it could be.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That's exactly the right amount of information, thanks guys. This is my first Fate/* anything so I'm flying blind (and I totally blanked that a scabbard showed up in the first episode as well) I had no idea at all who any of the people doing the summoning were and the whole thing kind of blurred together.

I kind of want to see whole series' about the Heroes "historical" exploits, done is a similar style with all of the crazy powers and poo poo.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 30, 2011

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So King Arthur is a chick with a big dress on. Huh. Does that mean she was in a lesbian relationship with Gwenevere?

Annnyway I like the animation and effects. All the trailing glows are awesome and the colors are fantastic. The people talk a bit too much during fight scenes though.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Ccs posted:

So King Arthur is a chick with a big dress on. Huh. Does that mean she was in a lesbian relationship with Gwenevere?
No, Merlin used his magic to make Arthuria grow a dick.

nielsm posted:

I'm a bit confused, did Kiritsugu actually shoot, or was he interrupted by Rider?
He was interrupted.

nielsm posted:

I find it rather ironic that both Gilgamesh and Alexander the Great have ruled from Babylon, but historically I'm pretty sure Alexander ruled a larger area of land, assuming there even was a historical Gilgamesh. After all, "ruling the world" has generally always implied the known world.
Technically, Gil was in Uruk. Speaking of him, he appears in CP:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Ccs posted:

Annnyway I like the animation and effects. All the trailing glows are awesome and the colors are fantastic. The people talk a bit too much during fight scenes though.

No, even Guinevere didn't know because Merlin gave Saber a penis when needed using his incubus magic.

No that's not a joke, that's canon.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Rodyle posted:

No, even Guinevere didn't know because Merlin gave Saber a penis when needed using his incubus magic.

:stare:

e: what the gently caress nasu

Hexempaler
Sep 13, 2010

I know what you're thinking.
Did he fire sixty-six shots or only sixty-five?
Question is, do I feel lucky?
Well, do ya, punk?
Those of you who are watching the anime without having read the novels, I would highly recommend you take a look at the two Postfaces for Book 1. They're both excellent reads as they talk about a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff and they shed a lot of light on just what type of person Urobuchi is. They're also the origin of the phrase "Gen Urobuchi wants to warm your heart."

Postface 1 by Gen Urobuchi

Postface 2 by Kinoko Nasu

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009
It also assumes you've read Fate/stay night so stay away from those if you haven't

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.
Fate/Rider really does own!!!!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

blastron posted:

Dickgirls aren't exactly groundbreaking stuff.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Hexempaler posted:

Postface 1 by Gen Urobuchi

Gen Urobuchi posted:

I remember watching Spidermen II. When I saw Peter wishing that he doesn't have the power to change his body, I also thought 'Perhaps, I wish to never write another script again!'

That's absolutely fantastic. What I wouldn't give just to shake that man's hand...

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Hahaha Gilgamesh got owned.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

House Louse posted:

Then again the "Bluebeard = Gilles de Rais" thing made no sense to me, so what's my guess worth? (Edit: No I meant how we're supposed to infer from "call me Bluebeard" that he's Gilles.)

I'm pretty sure there's only ever been one Bluebeard who was famous for having experienced, developed opinions on how to best kill children.

It's just a common name for the guy.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

blastron posted:

I thought it was well known that Merlin was a dick. What's weird about him being able to give one to Saber?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Marin Karin posted:

Also, a reminder that the new Carnival Phantasm was released in Japan yesterday. The subs for it should drop soon enough.

What is it with Casters and Saber anyway.

Redcrimson posted:

That's absolutely fantastic. What I wouldn't give just to shake that man's hand...

There's also an interview where he compares Mami Tomoe to Spider-Man, in that she feels anguish in not being able to tell others she's a heroine.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Rodyle posted:

Haha, where the hell did this get stated? I don't remember ever hearing it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Ok, so...being a Fate/Zero newbie (and never really finishing F/SN), I'm throwing out my speculation for Berserker. Its obvious from two fact that he's related to Arthur if only for the fact that he's screams "black knight" to me and he went right after Sabre once Gil withdrew. Modred seems like an easy answer, but I don't remember reading anything which had him as the black knight. I think it would be more appropriate for it to be Orgoglio from The Faerie Queene, since it would fit the whole revenge motif.

But, its really amazing how quickly the entire thing turned into everyone kill Sabre! Except for Rider, of course, because Rider is awesome and will be the voice of manly reason for the entire show.

• Locked thread