Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

zkline posted:

Yeah, the Sartar book gives the canonical size for a clan somewhere, if I recall, and it ranged from hundreds up to about a thousand people. It's a great source of background on the Orlanthi and Dragon Pass, and I'm now interested in running a Hero Quest game largely thanks to KoDP.

That's this one, right? King of Sartar

Worthwhile? It looks like the way its arranged could make for a good bathroom reader if nothing else provided the writing is decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet
Nope, that's this one. http://moondesignpublications.com/index.php?page_id=60 King of Sartar is also good, though not really designed for tabletop roleplaying. I recommend Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes for a starting place in Glorantha.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
My 75-year-old iron lady finally became the Queen of Dragon Pass, winning me the first ever long game (very much thanks to the Motion Rune Banner). I remember playing this over 10 years ago, and never surviving more than a few years, thanks to completely not understanding the game. Picking it up again, either I'm way smarter, or the iOS version is just easier.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
loving hero quests, it's annoying as poo poo when you fail them for no apparent reason :argh:

Yeah I'm sure it's some combination of not having the perfect candidate and things like that but it's also apparent that even if you make the correct choice it still spins a little wheel with a bunch of gently caress YOU's on it and you just have to hope it doesn't land on one of those

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
In hindsight "a little wheel with a bunch of 'gently caress you's on it" would have been a good thread title.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh

InediblePenguin posted:

It starts saying you're too big when you get over 1000, or maybe it's 1200. 800-1000 people is the proper size for a clan. Any more than that and the bonds between all of the families start to weaken because there are so many, I suppose, and besides, I get the feeling the Orlanthi don't really naturally like being in a big group like that - that's why there's opposition to the idea of forming a tribe in the first place, and of forming a city.

At 1,500 you get the break up event constantly until you just give up and let the fuckers go. The complaint is that the ties between the ring and the ruled are too distant.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Levitate posted:

loving hero quests, it's annoying as poo poo when you fail them for no apparent reason :argh:

Yeah I'm sure it's some combination of not having the perfect candidate and things like that but it's also apparent that even if you make the correct choice it still spins a little wheel with a bunch of gently caress YOU's on it and you just have to hope it doesn't land on one of those

Yes, absolutely. Hero Quests are a gamble! Don't bet a ring member you can't afford to lose.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Another update today...prevents trading for 0 treasure and fixes a portrait issue with young advisors or something. (something else that I can't remember, think it had to do with Twitter )

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I was wondering where the sudden resurgence of interest in this game came from only to find out they released it on iPhone!

I hope they're successful because this game needs to be released on tablet devices or just get a new PC version. The beautiful illustrations must be seen in their full glory in high definition.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mystic Mongol posted:

Yes, absolutely. Hero Quests are a gamble! Don't bet a ring member you can't afford to lose.

Follow the example of Star Trek and send red shirts instead in case something goes bad.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
For heroquests I prefer to send my more promising nobles that aren't quite ring-quality, as you can pimp them up a little bit and have them waiting if something bad happens to somebody important, but it's not crippling if they die. Sending the dumbass 20-year-old mooks is too close to pointless unless you are doing one of the really easy ones and don't care if you blow a month.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Is there any real reason to not take the max amount of land when starting a game? For the intro, short game, I took "a little to grow into" and it seems like I don't have enough to balance pasture and farmland and wilderness.

Also, are the advisor's ever loving useful? :argh:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Levitate posted:

Is there any real reason to not take the max amount of land when starting a game?

I think it makes you easier to raid (more ground to cover), but I've got no idea how big of a deal this is in practice.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
It is a huge deal. Don't take a ton of land at the start because your clan is just not big enough to deal with it yet. "A little to grow into" usually is fine, and you don't have to balance the three, you just have to have enough to feed yourself. Also don't cut down too many trees at once.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Levitate posted:

Is there any real reason to not take the max amount of land when starting a game? For the intro, short game, I took "a little to grow into" and it seems like I don't have enough to balance pasture and farmland and wilderness.

The advisors tend to give insight into Orlanthi culture. What they say may or may not be of benefit to you mechanically but it's often the "right" (or just a heads up that, yo, you can kill these guys who broke hospitality rules, etc) thing to do as an Orlanthi.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Sankis posted:

The advisors tend to give insight into Orlanthi culture. What they say may or may not be of benefit to you mechanically but it's often the "right" (or just a heads up that, yo, you can kill these guys who broke hospitality rules, etc) thing to do as an Orlanthi.

Except your trickster. Never listen to that dude, he will get you in deep poo poo like 90% of the time.

Do advisor skills have much effect on the advice they give? It seems like people who have Renowned / Heroic in a relevant category tend to have more useful words of wisdom, but that could just be confirmation bias.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

NmareBfly posted:

Except your trickster. Never listen to that dude, he will get you in deep poo poo like 90% of the time.

Do advisor skills have much effect on the advice they give? It seems like people who have Renowned / Heroic in a relevant category tend to have more useful words of wisdom, but that could just be confirmation bias.

I think it's usually more to do with their god (which does tend to indicate which skills they're high-level in). On occasion having a ring member of a given deity will also open up another, better option for an event. Deity determines the dialogue pool they draw from/what magic they add/what options you get, skills determine skill checks and RNG fuckery.

Also always listen to the trickster when you're dealing with magic/monster poo poo, fighting weirdness with weirdness goddamn works.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 28, 2011

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Anecdotal as hell, but I've found the advisers with high Custom do actually give useful info regarding inter-clan/legal stuff.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
It would help if I had any tricksters. I have something like 4 Chalana Arroys and 5 Ernaldas, and 2 Barntars. This is after my heroic Humakt died of old age and my heroic Issaries randomly got eaten by a Chaos monster. I wasn't pleased.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Sankis posted:

I guess it's sometimes a little hard to tell which one knows their poo poo and which one is giving you advice that will make your ancestors curse you with a plague of bees

re: land, I dunno, maybe I'm just erring way to the side of making sure I have enough food. I have a ridiculous amount of stored food and always have extra after each year, so I have a ton of farmland, a decent amount of pasture, and not much wildland. I dunno if I should just cut the farmland a lot and up pasture so I can get more cattle (advisers seem to grumble about wanting more cattle) and have some more wildland, etc)

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet
I'd tend to leave land allocation alone more often than not. Unless someone seriously complains, you have far more important stuff to deal with most of the time. Micromanaging land isn't what the game's about, and if you have excess food already you should be fine.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I always give myself as much as I can space allocated to wheat fields as I can, since otherwise I always seem to end up starving all the drat time, which leads to a terrible cycle of "everyone is hungry because there are no farms, nobody can farm this land because they are all hungry".

Also I fire most of the hunters. I've done this on principle since ever without ever really knowing if its a terrible idea or not. Considering that it helps fight the problem of there never being enough drat farmers, I wouldn't think itd be that bad of an idea at least.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Supposedly hunters increase your chances of spotting a raid.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I keep having to convert hunters to farmers because they don't have enough forest to hunt or something.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Goddammit I'm going to raid the gently caress out of those loving Hillhaven assholes :argh:

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet
THe latest blog post here claims that an iPad build is in the works. The game is also on sale for $5.99 for a week, to celebrate the 12th birthday of the original PC version.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Yep. They're not going to redo all of the artwork but I can certainly understand why. Hopefully they just make the iPhone app universal since the only major difference will be menus and stuff.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Oceanbound posted:

It would help if I had any tricksters. I have something like 4 Chalana Arroys and 5 Ernaldas, and 2 Barntars. This is after my heroic Humakt died of old age and my heroic Issaries randomly got eaten by a Chaos monster. I wasn't pleased.

Humakti, Uroxi, and Eurmali are rarer than worshippers of other gods. If you start with one of them available, keep them alive.

quote:

I guess it's sometimes a little hard to tell which one knows their poo poo and which one is giving you advice that will make your ancestors curse you with a plague of bees

It relates to their skills and what god they worship. High Customs will give better advice on legal issues, high Plants will give better advice on crop-related stuff, Humakti will give better advice on Undead-related issues, etc.

Eurmal worshippers will basically always give you bad advice unless there's a "Have your trickster do (thing)" option, in which case they'll tell you to do that.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Any idea how frequently nobles of the rarer cults pop up if you feed your barntari chaff to the troll queen on a consistent basis?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

President Ark posted:

Eurmal worshippers will basically always give you bad advice unless there's a "Have your trickster do (thing)" option, in which case they'll tell you to do that.

And those always work. Tricksters rule.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

andrew smash posted:

Any idea how frequently nobles of the rarer cults pop up if you feed your barntari chaff to the troll queen on a consistent basis?

Also, now that I think of it, if you use her to eat your lovely nobles frequently will it eventually provoke her into genociding your clan? Is there any difference between using her as a garbage disposal and sending a shitload of thanes to deliberately antagonize her in terms of her response?

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I made a tribe in the ipod version and got the event where we nominated someone for king but then the actual kinging event never came up so my tribe was perpetually without a king until I gave up :yum:

Coolio fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 29, 2011

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh

andrew smash posted:

Also, now that I think of it, if you use her to eat your lovely nobles frequently will it eventually provoke her into genociding your clan? Is there any difference between using her as a garbage disposal and sending a shitload of thanes to deliberately antagonize her in terms of her response?

No not really it's why people do it

Also if you picked trolls as your ancient enemy you get a bonus to your magic for attacking your hated foe everytime you do it, only downside is you have to send a couple of thanes and footmen to make sure you don't get sent back home by bandits

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
They removed microing your crafters and patrols so I wish they'd also remove microing farmers and hunters too cause you get no feedback on how that's going until something's wrong then you just go to the little menu and move a slider until things are okay again and go back to do something that's actually interesting.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Sorry if this is common knowledge or anything, but how important is it to have your clan leader be a worshipper of your primary deity? My awesome, 60~ year old leader just passed and all of my other Orlanthi noblemen suck pretty badly, but I've got a Humakti on my ring who is basically a mini-God (Heroic Combat, Renowned Leadership), and already seems to be pitching in on clan-leading duties. Do I make him leader while I Orlanth-Heroquest up a new guy, or is that gonna screw up my clan magic or something?

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Just re-bought the game! At $5.99, it would have been crazy not to.

Also, some good news:

A-Sharp posted:

Although there are some drawbacks to selling in the App Store (Apple doesn’t allow time-limited trials, which would probably be the best form of marketing), in general it’s proven a good way for a small developer to reach customers. In the first six weeks, we sold more copies for iOS than boxed copies of the Windows/Mac version. That’s lifetime sales. We’ll probably hit double by the end of next month. Some of the sales are to people who enjoyed the original game, but obviously many are playing for the first time.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Levitate posted:

1. Max amount of land gets you raided like loving crazy. It makes it easier for enemies to sneak up on you, which can hurt, and makes it easier for them to cattle raid, which hurts like all hell if you can't keep it under control. Unless you're constantly recruiting new carls&cottars (which is usually not a good plan) a little to grow into should be plenty. My most successful games have been with either a little to grow into or only as much as needed, but i'm also incredibly bellicose and typically steal at least one tula for farmland and two or three more just to force long standing enemies to move.

2. The advisers are really drat useful. Learning which ones to trust is what makes a lot of the culturally grounded events fun as opposed to complete bullshit gotchas. Plenty can go wrong - sometimes you will get a completely batshit insane advisor who wants to genocide the elves and thinks murdering shamans is a great plan, and Eurmali advisers tend to give you advice that is straight up profane, but when it comes to things like "Wait is this tribal leader easily manipulated by promises of glory, or do i just bribe him?" and "can i get away with executing this person for being annoying or do i cave?" they help a lot. Also remember that even though you may get the same event twice, you don't necessarily get the same results from the same answer, and your advisers can clue you in.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Sorry if this is common knowledge or anything, but how important is it to have your clan leader be a worshipper of your primary deity? My awesome, 60~ year old leader just passed and all of my other Orlanthi noblemen suck pretty badly, but I've got a Humakti on my ring who is basically a mini-God (Heroic Combat, Renowned Leadership), and already seems to be pitching in on clan-leading duties. Do I make him leader while I Orlanth-Heroquest up a new guy, or is that gonna screw up my clan magic or something?

You get +1 magic per year for having your clan leader match your primary deity. It's a component in weighing who should be your clan leader, but it's ultimately a judgement call. I'd use the Humakti in your shoes, unless you have a high leadership Vingan and forgot that Vinga and Orlanth are interchangeable for these purposes.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

zkline posted:

I'd tend to leave land allocation alone more often than not. Unless someone seriously complains, you have far more important stuff to deal with most of the time. Micromanaging land isn't what the game's about, and if you have excess food already you should be fine.

I disagree with this. You don't want to be adjusting all the time, but it's a good idea to check at least once every year or two - you'll often find you can maximize your farm output or have a bit more room for cattle. If that line is too thin, you know it's time to start raiding for land.

I generally don't give a poo poo about hunting, but that might just be because it's more difficult to see the effects.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
If you can reliably heroquest the bonus magic from having the 'right' person be your clan chief doesn't really make any difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

andrew smash posted:

If you can reliably heroquest the bonus magic from having the 'right' person be your clan chief doesn't really make any difference.

Having the right person be your clan chief makes everything go by more easily. Including heroquesting.

Stop making GBS threads all over the traditions, you're not Eurmali.

• Locked thread