Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

commy gun posted:

You also could buy properties all over the map in the cities and in the country side which gave you alot of places to save and not just 3-4 (GTA 4 :argh:).

GTA IV autosaves, it's way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Grand Theft Auto V. Trailer. 11/02/11

The comments in this were hilarious for exactly 3 seconds.

A sample:

quote:

ALAH ALAHALAH ALAH ALAH ALAH ALAH ALAH ALAH ALAH ALAH ALAH ALAH ALAH ALAH ALAH ALAHALAH ALAH ALAH IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQIRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQIRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQIRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQIRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ IRAQ WHOWA WHOWA WHOWA WHOWA WHOWA WHOWA WHOWA WHOWA WHOWA WHOWA WHOWA WHOWA WHOWA WHOWAWHOWA WHOWA WHOWA WHOWA WHOWA WHOWA WHOWA WHOWA WHOWA WHOWA WHOWA WHOWA

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm amazed at how fast the vehicle damage system works in SA compared to IV, you aren't careful then in less than three hits and your car is a twisted half written off piece of junk.
Speaking of vehicle damage, has ANY other game done a dynamic-damage system like GTA4 did? Along with the Euphoria animations, the vehicle damage was what impressed me the most about that game.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I just hope you can wear a seatbelt in this.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

wa27 posted:

Speaking of vehicle damage, has ANY other game done a dynamic-damage system like GTA4 did? Along with the Euphoria animations, the vehicle damage was what impressed me the most about that game.

The best vehicle damage was either with the explosive shotgun in Gay Tony, or if you spawned a car on top of a skyscraper and drove off the side.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

I just hope you can wear a seatbelt in this.

I remember the first time I crashed into a motorway barrier driving 100mph at 5fps. Randomly crashing into static objects and other cars (especially using beefed 4WD cars) have been some of the most magical memories I've had with IV.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Or drove into that explosive goddam swingset on the first island. I hope there's some sort of cliffside road you can have chases on in GTA V, with some really jagged rocks at the bottom so you can get some really mangled cars.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

wa27 posted:

Viper Racing did in 1998. Vehicle damage is just one of those areas, like AI, where game developers have just been very very lazy and not even tried to do anything cool most of the time.

downfall
Jun 23, 2005

wa27 posted:

Well, I read a long time ago that the reason Gran Turismo never did is because the actual brands (Ford, BMW, etc.) didn't want their cars to appear damaged in the game. I always assumed that was pretty standard for most games that use real-world brands - but it seems to be changing somewhat.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

downfall posted:

Well, I read a long time ago that the reason Gran Turismo never did is because the actual brands (Ford, BMW, etc.) didn't want their cars to appear damaged in the game. I always assumed that was pretty standard for most games that use real-world brands - but it seems to be changing somewhat.

Yeah that stopped being true a while ago. But it didn't stop developers from letting people think it was true when in fact they were just lazy.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Good god I forgot how annoying Catalina was in SA, and how embarassing the whole thing looks now.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Oh Niko, tell me interesting things!

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

SeanBeansShako posted:

Good god I forgot how annoying Catalina was in SA, and how embarassing the whole thing looks now.

GTA4's writing isn't particularly good but it's a hell of a lot better than 90% of what was in the previous games. I wish they would find someone who can write a game that I wouldn't feel embarrassed playing around non-gamers.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I think Vice City has better writing than IV by a giant, wide girth. I'm also not so sure why III is badly written?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Himuro posted:

Oh Niko, tell me interesting things!

Take a ride in one of those tourist helicopters for a bit for some pretty funny lines by the way.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I honestly never thought of Grand Theft Auto's writing being bad. The whole series has really been very tongue-in-cheek so I thought any questionable lines were in the spirit of the game. Maybe I'm remembering this wrong because it's been so many years since I played the PS2 trilogy.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Himuro posted:

it's not full on serious, and fails to be so, because Niko goes from "I promised I wouldn't kill people here" to wasting three dudes on one mission to Little Jacob in about five minutes.

That's why I love Vice City. Tommy is a bad guy from start to finish, and is quite open about it. The character in cutscenes and voiceover is just like the dick that you are when you're playing the game, if not more so at times.

Edit: What would be awesome it being able to switch GTAV to a freeplay mode where you can dick around and adjust things like cop spawns, traffic, aggressiveness of other drivers and so on. Also something like the points-for-cool-crashes from Burnout without being such an obvious ripoff. Saints Row works because it takes all the little metagames people made up themselves while playing GTA games (yeah, let's see if I can get hit and go really far!) and built them into the game itself. Having a serious game is fine, but having a serious game where you can flip a switch and ignore the story to dick around for a while would be a lot more fun.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 30, 2011

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Well, considering that Vice City smooshed Scarface and Carlito's Way together and then gave it a happy ending. At least with GTA:IV they tried to cut something from new cloth.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

trandorian posted:

Take a ride in one of those tourist helicopters for a bit for some pretty funny lines by the way.

With Michelle?

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

wa27 posted:

Mafia did this in 2002. I remember playing it and thinking that it would be incredible to have in a GTA game.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Fayez Butts posted:

I don't even remember which one that is! But I'm gonna have to say Blista Compact is the best.

Sabre GT baby.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Underflow posted:

Sabre GT baby.

Mafia Sentinel :colbert:

I would always either drive this or the Diablo in GTA 3, no exceptions.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Feltzer supremacy. :colbert:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Coffee And Pie posted:

So is it just me, or is the Uranus the best car in all of 4?

Haha, look at this scrub who doesn't know that the Dukes is the best car in the entire game. You enjoy fun, right? Screeching around corners at 100mph at a 90 degree angle is fun. Don't hate on fun. Love the Dukes.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

No love for the Faggio? Tearing rear end at full speed while standing up and t-boning a car in the intersection? Or going full speed at a launch ramp and watching the cut scene kick in with you at 1/3 the distance?

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 30, 2011

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Himuro posted:

With Michelle?

Nah, just the crazy helicopter pilots and niko.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

VC/SA Fagio, best Fagio.
Front wheel drive endless wheelie. :hellyeah:

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

LAWLandMine posted:

Mafia Sentinel :colbert:

I would always either drive this or the Diablo in GTA 3, no exceptions.

Ah yeah, the Mafia Sentinel is the best in III. Can't remember my VC fave, but in SA it was all good as long as I had K-Rose or Rrrrrradio Essspantoooso on.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
If you guys weren't driving the Deluxo in VC, I don't know what to tell you. :colbert:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I loved driving the Sabre Turbo in Vice City while running a trainer that changed the vehicle that got "tank properties". The way the trainer worked, you could set any car to have tank properties, and then you'd be able to fire the cannon and blow up cars that you hit. The thing is, if you set a common car to tank properties, than if you hit one of them, even in the same car, you'd explode and die.

Since the Sabre Turbo almost never spawned in traffic in Vice City, I used that as a "tank".

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

wa27 posted:

GRID did a pretty great job of it in 2008.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaM4OOSZ2-E

Forza could really use some tire wall explosions.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Speaking of that, I remember using I think it was just a cheat in SA that didn't quite turn your car into a tank, but it would give your car infinite mass or something so that if you were in a faggio and ran into a garbage truck at full speed the truck would just fling itself in the air. Anyone know of a mod that does this for GTA4? I have the simple native trainer but I dont remember seeing an option for that. I'd like to avoid manually editing handling.cfg, too if I could.

Also: best cars

GTA3: Mafia Sentinel :colbert:

GTA3VC: Sentinel XS :colbert:

GTA4: Sentinel XS :colbert:

We will not mention the GTA3SA sentinel here.

I think my favorite car in GTA3SA would be the buffalo with offroad wheels. Totally mad max. Can't find any pics with the wheels unfortunately. Also, I will own a car with rear window louvers someday.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

That is the first time I saw somebody calling them GTA3VC & GTA3SA.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Meh I just dont like the look of two colons so close to each other. "GTA:VC:" vs "GTA3VC:" but I could've just said "GTAVC:" so gently caress me I guess.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cage posted:

Speaking of that, I remember using I think it was just a cheat in SA that didn't quite turn your car into a tank, but it would give your car infinite mass or something so that if you were in a faggio and ran into a garbage truck at full speed the truck would just fling itself in the air.

There was a cheat in GTA SA that made your vehicle "weigh 20 tons" which did what you said, and a seperate cheat that made your vehicle cause other cars to explode if they touched yours just like a tank.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Cage posted:

Meh I just dont like the look of two colons so close to each other. "GTA:VC:" vs "GTA3VC:" but I could've just said "GTAVC:" so gently caress me I guess.

Not trying to mock you or anything. :)

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Haha, I know.

It's too bad Rockstar never really gave the MP a facelift for GTA4. For example: Cops n Crooks mode could've been super awesome and a lot more like the OJ we all used to love in MTA:SA. But they picked really lovely spawns for both sides, like half the time cops will spawn 15 seconds away, other times theyre a lot farther so its quite unfair. Then if the cops catch up to the crooks it only takes about 5 seconds of shooting to start their car on fire. If they tweaked the spawns and maybe just gave everyone handguns it would work better. Then theres Team Mafiya Work, which is basically team vs team single player. Everyone gets a mission on their cell phone at the same time, and each team battles for the mission. Incredibly fun and its mostly all I play online, but if they just spent a little time coding to give you more than the same 20 or so missions it would be a lot better. Then theres the little bugs like people who join a game inprogress get to see the other teams radar blips even if the host turned them off, or how if you join a game inprogress your weapon spawns will be different than the people who were in the lobby when the game started. Im probably one of the very few that cares about this though, because not a huge amount of people still play online.

For the few MTA:SA goons that want a little taste of OJ, when Im bored I will start a game with radar blips on far (so you only see people on the radar when they get far away) and then give everyone except OJ a police car. Its different than OJ in that you have to keep line of sight to the person youre chasing or else they get away, but I think it makes it a lot more exciting.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
GTA4, Sultan RS.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I hate Manny.

And the best GTA car will and forever be Sentinel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

One thing I really missed in SA/4 was special gang-cars.

• Locked thread