Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lostatsea
Oct 23, 2005

Set Yourself On Fire

Duxwig posted:

Need some help with some laminating of a DIY scrapbook!

At a previous job I had to laminate some oversized pieces. I ended up going to a Teaching Supply store (this one was called Lakeshore) and they had a decent-sized laminator that you operated yourself. You paid for the length that you use. I remember it being pretty cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Hairy Wah
Jan 3, 2011

You could make a cover from cardboard instead.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
What's the best way to emulate the look/feel of a Micron pen in photoshop? I'm just wanting to create a really crisp line that doesn't vary in thickness at all and has a subtly rounded end. I have no idea what I'm doing with creating brushes, so I figured I'd ask for some advice.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Quantify! posted:

What's the best way to emulate the look/feel of a Micron pen in photoshop? I'm just wanting to create a really crisp line that doesn't vary in thickness at all and has a subtly rounded end. I have no idea what I'm doing with creating brushes, so I figured I'd ask for some advice.

Use a standard hard round brush, 3-4 px in diameter, and all the other brush dynamics should be off except for Scattering->Count:6 (or anywhere between 5 and 8), and smoothing can be on:

(Count is what makes the line extra-crispy.)

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

neonnoodle posted:

Use a standard hard round brush, 3-4 px in diameter, and all the other brush dynamics should be off except for Scattering->Count:6 (or anywhere between 5 and 8), and smoothing can be on:
You're awesome, neonnoodle. Thanks so much.

the party god
Feb 23, 2011
Thanks for the help about line weight, guys :shobon: It's always a struggle for me, but those blog posts are a good thing to look at while I try. As for the micron pens, I don't really have to worry about it as I mostly draw digital. Thank you!

Chew Toy
Nov 28, 2010

I'm unhappy, Jon.
I'm having trouble photographing my art. The pictures always come out uneven and either too light or too dark. I'm using my phone's camera and I like to think I have the picture reasonably lit up. What am I doing wrong?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

ANAL_CUNT posted:

I'm using my phone's camera

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
In order of preference, use a scanner, use a real camera, use anything else and accept that it will look like poo poo.

Unfortunately all my classwork has to be at least 18x24 so I can't scan it in unless someone invites me to the Xerox plant and I get to use some sort of amazing large scale scanner.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I'm trying to remember the name of a story I read on the internet once. It was about this infinite library that contained books with every combination of symbols. The library had the form of infinite polygonal rooms arranged in a three-dimensional grid, with stairs connecting them, and the story was about men trying to make sense of this universe, Sound familiar?

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.
Library of Babel.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Sometimes all I need to do is make a simple change to an image, and it's not worth it to me to buy the "real" font that's used. Are there any sites that'll point me to substitute fonts that are similar to the real thing? I've found whatthefont to be somewhat reliable in finding the actual font, but anything after the first match is pretty terrible.

For instance I've got to match the font in a logo, and it looks like it uses ITC Blair. But ITC Blair sells for about $30, and I only need it for about two seconds and I'll never need it again. Is there anywhere I can go that'll tell me "Oh hey, in a pinch you can ThisFreeFont, in small doses no one will know the difference"?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

jackpot posted:

Sometimes all I need to do is make a simple change to an image, and it's not worth it to me to buy the "real" font that's used. Are there any sites that'll point me to substitute fonts that are similar to the real thing? I've found whatthefont to be somewhat reliable in finding the actual font, but anything after the first match is pretty terrible.

For instance I've got to match the font in a logo, and it looks like it uses ITC Blair. But ITC Blair sells for about $30, and I only need it for about two seconds and I'll never need it again. Is there anywhere I can go that'll tell me "Oh hey, in a pinch you can ThisFreeFont, in small doses no one will know the difference"?

http://www.identifont.com/similar.html

What the font might have something like that too; I can never remember which is which. (edit: oh, you said that.)

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 7, 2011

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Is there a name for the style of painting which is photorealistic but not done from a reference photograph - that is, completely from the painter's imagination? Does anyone know which painters do this?

The Prismatic Goth
May 31, 2001

What exactly determines file sizes in Illustrator? I'm taking over a book layout job from another designer, and the book has a lot of charts/graphs that needs to be re-drawn. I used all the assets from the original designer but I noticed that my files are twice the size as hers even when they look virtually identical. (They are all just line graphs...)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Quantify! posted:

In order of preference, use a scanner, use a real camera, use anything else and accept that it will look like poo poo.

Unfortunately all my classwork has to be at least 18x24 so I can't scan it in unless someone invites me to the Xerox plant and I get to use some sort of amazing large scale scanner.

You seem to be banned maybe, but Kinkos and other print places often have large-scale scanners or feed scanners for large format pieces. It's not as cheap as regular scanning, but available.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

FlyingFish posted:

What exactly determines file sizes in Illustrator? I'm taking over a book layout job from another designer, and the book has a lot of charts/graphs that needs to be re-drawn. I used all the assets from the original designer but I noticed that my files are twice the size as hers even when they look virtually identical. (They are all just line graphs...)

Do a "Save As..." and make sure the little "Create PDF Compatible File" box is unchecked.

The Prismatic Goth
May 31, 2001

Ferrule posted:

Do a "Save As..." and make sure the little "Create PDF Compatible File" box is unchecked.
:doh: I knew it had to be some small thing like this. Thanks a bunch!!

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Has anyone seen a poster/flyer about bulletin board etiquette? People are jerks at my school and constantly tack their crap on top of others' crap and I'd like to passively aggressively make a statement about it by putting up some rules.

Like: take down old stuff, re-arrange things to make your information fit, etc.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
People who put things on bulletin boards don't read bulletin boards. You are wasting your time.

Flubadub
Nov 14, 2010

The blood was chilling in his veins, The angels sang their sweet refrains,
While waiting at the rich man's door, For little Jim, so cold and poor.
I have a nice set of Prismacolor colored pencils. I haven't used them in a while, and when I went to get them I noticed the metal box they come in wasn't closed tight.

There's white film on the tips of most of the colors and especially noticeable on the art sticks that came with the set. It's flaky if you rub it and looks like white mold.

Is this some kind of fungus or mold? How do I go about cleaning it? The Prismacolor website mentions something called wax bloom but only on artwork, not the pencils themselves.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Flubadub posted:

I have a nice set of Prismacolor colored pencils. I haven't used them in a while, and when I went to get them I noticed the metal box they come in wasn't closed tight.

There's white film on the tips of most of the colors and especially noticeable on the art sticks that came with the set. It's flaky if you rub it and looks like white mold.

Is this some kind of fungus or mold? How do I go about cleaning it? The Prismacolor website mentions something called wax bloom but only on artwork, not the pencils themselves.

It's wax bloom. Temperature changes cause a small amount of plain wax to migrate to the surface. Ever have a piece of chocolate which turned white on the surface? Same thing only with cocoa butter instead of wax.

You don't need to clean it, just start drawing and it'll come off instantly. It's the same substance as the rest of the pencil/stick, just without pigment, so it's not going to damage the paper any more than the rest of the pencil would.

DeliciousDarkness
Apr 29, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I recorded a couple songs for the now-goldmined Mermaid Shelly thread and had a lot of fun with it. I heard tell of a collaborative yearly goon project around Christmas. Anyone know if that is happening this year? What does it entail?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

When doing a gel transfer is it impossible to do it over paint? I just tried it and the paint underneath just bubbled up.

Zenephant
Dec 31, 2009

My cousin is a really dedicated, creative 12 year old who wanted movie editing software for christmas. What can I get him that's good but doesn't cost the earth? It doesn't need to be professional quality or anything, but he has grown out of windows movie maker.

EDIT: I was recommended Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum Suite 11. Thoughts?

Zenephant fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Nov 19, 2011

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Being 12, wouldnt he be eligible to get student pricing on Adobe products? Production Suite for under $500, or the Master collection for under $900

http://www.adobe.com/education/purchasing/education_pricing.html

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I consider $500 for editing software to be equivalent to costing "the earth."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Those are bundles of software though, working out pretty cheaply. Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects ,Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Audition, OnLocation, Encore etc.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Get him something from Pinnacle so that it's not a complete waste of money when he moves on to dinosaurs or girls.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Home+Video/Studio+Family/

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
An Adobe Photoshop question!

I can't figure out how to do something very specific- I have an existing picture and I want to leave a logo's "imprint" on it. If that doesn't make any sense, I'd like to achieve the same effect as making a company logo an eraser brush so I can "stamp" it on an existing image (ie. make the company logo visible, but without the logo's colors. Just an imprint. Kind of like a cookie-cutter effect).

How would I go about doing this?

Arthus
Nov 11, 2011

SansUnicorn

melon cat posted:

I can't figure out how to do something very specific- I have an existing picture and I want to leave a logo's "imprint" on it. If that doesn't make any sense, I'd like to achieve the same effect as making a company logo an eraser brush so I can "stamp" it on an existing image (ie. make the company logo visible, but without the logo's colors. Just an imprint. Kind of like a cookie-cutter effect).

Well, you can just make a brush out of the logo. Import the logo in photoshop, make it grayscale, and go to edit>define brush preset. You can just stamp it on using a different layer and toy with the effects to get the finish you want.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

melon cat posted:

One way (of many) to do it:
Assuming the logo has transparency, bring it in as another layer, right-click it in the layer panel and go into 'Blending Options.'

Add in a bevel/emboss (default settings fine), hit 'OK,' then at the top of the layer panel, set fill (not opacity) to 0. This'll leave you with just the emboss effect.

Place the logo where you will, and you'll have a simple watermark going. There are different ways to do it, some better, some worse, but this should do for something simple.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Is there a real-life sculpting thread, not just a computer modeling one? I've kind of been thinking of sculpting and casting little resin sculptures recently but most of my experience is with sculpting miniature food.

... For that matter is there anyone else that does miniatures? I still can't get my fake frosting to work nicely. :(

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.
I work in a science lab and we go through about 3 dozen of these things a week, and they're kinda cool but I haven't found anything interesting to do with them yet. Ideas?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Soopafly posted:

I work in a science lab and we go through about 3 dozen of these things a week, and they're kinda cool but I haven't found anything interesting to do with them yet. Ideas?

I think you could probably shop around and find a coffee-stirring straw that would fit exactly through the holes to join them together.

the party god
Feb 23, 2011
Anybody have any tips on trying to make yourself draw 'loosely'?

What I mean is, all of my sketches and cartoons and stuff are drawn very... Rigid. My sketches are made up of very precise lines and don't end up looking like a sketch, and look more like a lovely good copy. Here's an example of what I mean by 'loose' drawing:

(I just got this off Google Images, dunno source)

His lines are big and thick in those less prominent parts, and very scribbly. You get the flow of the image and it's easier to make corrections. I feel like when I draw a sketch, drawing over it I'm just sort of copying what's under it and not making any changes. Therefore, I'm not learning anything.

I think my wrists are too stiff and I rush into things. (I also use Paint Tool SAI to sketch in, and I end up drawing very rigid in there too). I'm also very self-conscious when I try and draw, so I think my mind makes it harder for me to really do well. How do I relax my hands and my mind when I draw?

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
When you draw anything, even goofy little sketches, are you worried about them being perfect, or at least 'good'? I can't say for sure, but it sort of sounds like you might be too worried about the end result. If you're using SAI exclusively, I'd suggest just getting a big piece of cheap paper and maybe some charcoal or a soft-leaded pencil and just doodling. Don't worry about what the end result is going to look like, just do it. Working on a larger surface, where you'll have plenty of room even if you 'mess up', might make you less concerned (if you are concerned) and your art might come out looser. If the stiffness of your wrist is bothering you, you could also try just drawing simple shapes like circles or spirals and pay attention to keeping your motions fluid as a sort of warm up.

Do you think that maybe you could post some examples of your own art? I'd like to see exactly what you mean when you say rigid.

the party god
Feb 23, 2011

DurianGray posted:

When you draw anything, even goofy little sketches, are you worried about them being perfect, or at least 'good'? I can't say for sure, but it sort of sounds like you might be too worried about the end result. If you're using SAI exclusively, I'd suggest just getting a big piece of cheap paper and maybe some charcoal or a soft-leaded pencil and just doodling. Don't worry about what the end result is going to look like, just do it. Working on a larger surface, where you'll have plenty of room even if you 'mess up', might make you less concerned (if you are concerned) and your art might come out looser. If the stiffness of your wrist is bothering you, you could also try just drawing simple shapes like circles or spirals and pay attention to keeping your motions fluid as a sort of warm up.

Do you think that maybe you could post some examples of your own art? I'd like to see exactly what you mean when you say rigid.

Okay, I'll get some large paper and some charcoals and try doing some little things. :) I used to use pencil and a regular sketch book a lot but I find that my wrists shake far too much to be comfortable (I also drag the side of my hand along the paper when I draw, which is a big no-no).

I'd rather not post any of my art here, I'm really self-conscious about it, but here's a sketch that a painting I eventually did came from: http://i.imgur.com/J1sV4.png What I mean is, this is as rough as my sketches get. I don't have any loose sketch that was underneath that. Whereas, for example, some person I saved an image from a while ago http://i.imgur.com/LXiF0.png Has very loose, rough work under a sketch. I don't even know how to do that! :(

Thanks for your help, DurianGray.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
Ah yes, hand dragging. I have a problem with that too, you just need to be aware when you're doing it and tell yourself to stop it. It'll probably take a while to break the habit, but you probably should. Your stuff really isn't bad though from what I can see, you shouldn't be scared of showing it to people :)

I think I see what you mean now. What he's got going on underneath there, the "looseness" as you call it, is just construction lines. I'm guessing you don't do any construction lines when you're drawing, right? You just lay things down and they more or less are the finished product. Most artists will do underlying "loose" stuff like that to make sure that everything is laid out about how they want it before they move in later with details. Neither way is particularly better than the other, it's a matter of preference mostly. The nice thing about working loose initially is that if you do the initial loose stuff and then see that your layout/composition/posing/whatever is off, you haven't committed to a finished line so it's easier to change things without loosing a ton of work.

Have you done figure drawing before? You can think of those loose under-sketches as sort of like gesture drawings when you've got a model in front of you. http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php is a really neat tool for this. Try doing really short drawing times so you just get the gestures of a pose down. That's the "loose" stuff. You can go back and refine the sketch later. It'll force you to draw a lot looser when you've only got thirty seconds or so to slap down a pose. After doing that for a while, it'll probably carry over to your other work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the party god
Feb 23, 2011
Thanks for the help again, I didn't even know about that figure drawing website, I think that will be really nice to work with. I'll try getting thirty-second poses down and seeing if that helps me draw more loosely. Thank you so much, I'm crazy lost about all this stuff. :blush: