Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Nilbop posted:

Possibly the ring also confers restorative powers, considering it gives it's bearer enough power to destroy the universe. It's possible, right?

I can't imagine Hussie would've had PM pick up WV or say anything other than "people can't survive holes in their abdomen that big sorry" if WV is going to stay dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
Instead of yelling and Vriskachat, and to try to fill up some time until the next updates come, let's try interspersing constructive speculation with a dumb good-times-and-feelings thought game.

If you haven't noticed, we've been through a lot! This Homestuck thing is a lot of pages long! And obviously 10/25 and the end of Act 5 were pretty important and monumental in the lifetime of the comic, so let's say if MSPA was over right now, that this was in fact the end, what was the highlight for you?

RULES: A character, a conversation, a plot device, a one-off joke, the way a recurring gag mutated, whatever. This could be anything. If Homestuck never updated again, what is the bit about it you'll remember most strongly, most fondly, and why?

HARD MODE RULES: You can't pick an [S] page!

It's only fair that I start this off. So, Rose! When the POV switched to Rose I thought for the first time, "Gee, I might end up liking this better than Problem Sleuth."

I find Rose incredibly amusing, probably because, without being overly embarrassing or cringe-inducing, she reminds me a lot of myself when I was an overly prolix 13-year-old on the internet. Plus, her interactions with Mom were comic gold, and there's something about their swanky Frank Lloyd Wright house being filled with gaudy wizard tchotchkes that absolutely slays me. I know some folks were bored by her when she started keeping secrets, but I've been interested in her arc all the way through. I am mildly curious as to why, when she revived as her Dreamself, she didn't offer thoughts on having been grimdark, though, since it's still unclear what happened there.

But oh well, I guess we'll never know, since Homestuck is over forever!

(You don't have to keep up this silly pretense but please, see this as an opportunity to reflect positively on the story so far. My friends and I have discovered that there's so much stuff to this comic that it's always fun to find out which parts people favor particularly.)

H.P. Shivcraft fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 30, 2011

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Instead of yelling and Vriskachat, and to try to fill up some time until the next updates come, let's try interspersing constructive speculation with a dumb good-times-and-feelings thought game.

If you haven't noticed, we've been through a lot! This Homestuck thing is a lot of pages long! And obviously 10/25 and the end of Act 5 were pretty important and monumental in the lifetime of the comic, so let's say if MSPA was over right now, that this was in fact the end, what was the highlight for you?

RULES: A character, a conversation, a plot device, a one-off joke, the way a recurring gag mutated, whatever. This could be anything. If Homestuck never updated again, what is the bit about it you'll remember most strongly most fondly, and why?

It's only fair that I start this off. So, Rose! When the POV switched to Rose I thought for the first time, "Gee, I might end up liking this better than Problem Sleuth."

I find Rose incredibly amusing, probably because, without being overly embarrassing or cringe-inducing, she reminds me a lot of myself when I was an overly prolix 13-year-old on the internet. Plus, her interactions with Mom were comic gold, and there's something about their swanky Frank Lloyd Wright house being filled with gaudy wizard tchotchkes that absolutely slays me. I know some folks were bored by her when she started keeping secrets, but I've been interested in her arc all the way through. I am mildly curious as to why, when she revived as her Dreamself, she didn't offer thoughts on having been grimdark, though, since it's still unclear what happened there.

But oh well, I guess we'll never know, since Homestuck is over forever!

(You don't have to keep up this silly pretense but please, see this as an opportunity to reflect positively on the story so far. My friends and I have discovered that there's so much stuff to this comic that it's always fun to find out which parts people favor particularly.)

That's easy. This entire chatlog.

I usually start laughing uncontrollably around "naked spam porpoise"

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

EASY MODE HIGHLIGHT: Vriska killing Tavros
HARD MODE HIGHLIGHT: Vriska crippling Tavros

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Somehow, the one thing that jumps out in my mind first and foremost whenever I think of Homestuck is this line:

> Rose: First, be the pony. Second, trample Mom.

It's just the epitome of absurdity and it cracks me up every single time. The fact it's a Jailbreak callback is just icing.

A close second place would go to Karkat for the Fruity Rumpus rear end in a top hat Factory, specifically this line:

?CG: OH, HA HA! IF SMUG WAS A MOTORCYCLE, IT JUST JUMPED OVER A loving CANYON.
?CG: THE CROWD GOES WILD WITH DISMAY, AND THEN COMMITS MASS SUICIDE.

I love everything about this entire story, though. These are just what somehow wind up in my head immediately.

President Ark posted:

That's easy. This entire chatlog.

I usually start laughing uncontrollably around "naked spam porpoise"
Oh my god, this too. Jesus christ this log is just astounding.

vvvv Hahahahah yes! I loved the wolf head thing, and hearing the howl in the song made me totally lose it.

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 30, 2011

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Okay, Infinity mechanism might be my favorite song in the new album, but Hussie Hunt is the best by far for one little thing halfway through the song.
Creeeeeeeeeeeeak
AWwoooooooooooooooooo!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Pretty much any page where Dave starts going off on some weird thing only tangentially related to the matter at hand is amazing.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

RULES: A character, a conversation, a plot device, a one-off joke, the way a recurring gag mutated, whatever. This could be anything. If Homestuck never updated again, what is the bit about it you'll remember most strongly most fondly, and why?

See I'd do this, but my answer would be "Vriska and her character arc and development" and look where that would get us. Just look!

(I think besides that I am always going to vividly remember the heavy chimes part of Cascade where the panel progression is really fast, just before the Tumor blows up.)

It really took me a while to get into Homestuck though, so I think I'll always remember WV: Ascend really clearly since that was when I actually started giving a fig about the story. Rose: Enter, too. Vriska is definitely my favorite thing overall, though, specifically her talk with John just after she killed Tavros about how she was trying so hard to be a "good troll."

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

President Ark posted:

Pretty much any page where Dave starts going off on some weird thing only tangentially related to the matter at hand is amazing.
It's a tie between his first conversation with Tavros and that one with John where he's rambling about how trite it is for parents to not believe that their kid saw a monster. "'gently caress, a vampire! everyone get in the van!' father of the year, right there"

e: or, y'know, this frame right here

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 30, 2011

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Easy mode: [s] John: Reunite with your loving wife and daughter. There were a lot of incredible flashes, many really full of content and great action, and a lot of great scenes and chatlogs that didn't come from flashes, but none will quite measure up to the sheer hilarity of that flash. I've re-watched it many times, now, and while it's not as funny as it was that first time (which was one of those moments where I just broke down laughing. It's not the hardest I've ever laughed, but it's up there.)

I can't even really explain why. It was just extremely funny.

When you take away the flash pages, it does get a bit harder. With that said, though, I'd say it's one of two pages: This one, because it is an incredibly funny memo (as all memos are, really!), or this one. There were a lot of great pages out there, and while I was definitely partly aware of things by this point, that page (well, that whole sequence of pages. The entire discussion John and Vriska had there) really hammered home just how well developed Vriska (and really, all of the major characters) actually was(/were.)

EDIT:

dumb brunette posted:

See I'd do this, but my answer would be "Vriska and her character arc and development" and look where that would get us. Just look!

(I think besides that I am always going to vividly remember the heavy chimes part of Cascade where the panel progression is really fast, just before the Tumor blows up.)

It really took me a while to get into Homestuck though, so I think I'll always remember WV: Ascend really clearly since that was when I actually started giving a fig about the story. Rose: Enter, too. Vriska is definitely my favorite thing overall, though, specifically her talk with John just after she killed Tavros about how she was trying so hard to be a "good troll."
Welp! (:hfive:)

EDIT2: Added link.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 30, 2011

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

King of Solomon posted:

Easy mode: [s] John: Reunite with your loving wife and daughter. There were a lot of incredible flashes, many really full of content and great action, and a lot of great scenes and chatlogs that didn't come from flashes, but none will quite measure up to the sheer hilarity of that flash. I've re-watched it many times, now, and while it's not as funny as it was that first time (which was one of those moments where I just broke down laughing. It's not the hardest I've ever laughed, but it's up there.)

I can't even really explain why. It was just extremely funny.

It's the hand slowly reaching up the screen. Kills me every time. edit: oops, thought you meant when John got Vriska to watch that scene...

For me, it's [S] Make her pay. The combination of the art, the music, and the subject matter manage to convey a genuine sense of both awe and dread in the first half of the flash. I think that's the point where I decided that I was really stuck on Homestuck. The second half isn't *quite* as great, but it is still pretty rockin', and manages to close with a nice bookend.

As for hard mode, I'm going to go with the alchemizing sequences for each of the kids, particularly John's. They get so sublimely ridiculous that I can't help but crack up every time I read back through them.

Honorable mention goes to Terezi and Dave's art trades.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 30, 2011

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

This is still the best page in Homestuck.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
EB: you can see me, right.
EB: tell me what is wrong with this picture.

John's deadpan look in that panel is the funniest goddamn thing in Homestuck far and away, and makes me realize how much I miss John bungling around his house, slowly tearing it apart.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

^^ Relatedly: This log is short but so loving funny. Dave just seems so dismayed by the whole situation and Rose just keeps making it worse, and you don't even find out why until later.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Easy mode: [S] WV: Ascend. Reading it the first time, that was the point where I realized I was in for something really unique. This makes my all time least favorite moment the felt intermission, since the beginning of that was where I caught up with the archives and had to wait for updates. And I just don't understand why everyone likes those guys so much :saddowns:.

Hard mode: Karkat: Troll this worthless human. Everything about it is wonderful, and makes all the troll romance bullshit worth it.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Easy mode: [S] WV?: Rise Up
This is the moment I truly came to understand how grandiose this story would pan out to be and the song really gives off the feeling of there being so much more to this world that is essentially filled with non essential video game NPCs. They all have actual lives and a sense of self and it's just like poo poo man these people are actually fighting for something too and WV will lead the gently caress out of them.

Seeing the effects of the kids on this world was impressive also.

Hard mode: My favorite comedy panel is the very early BROBLERONE panel from act 1.

My favorite serious panel is the one where Scratch explains how it was he, on Lord English's orders, who made Trollkind the vicious bloodthirsty race it became. It finally gave me a sense of having a true villain outside of Jack who has really always been more of a chaotic entity.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Quick question that might have been noted already.

During [S]Cascade you see Gamzee typing "S U C K E R S." I noticed that it was highlighted to show white text.

Does this mean the one who was typing white this whole time to the kids and trolls was him this whole time? I'm guessing this was the reason he was considered the "Most important character in Homestuck"

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
^^ No, Gamzee was talking to Doc Scratch, who was calling them suckers because they played right into his plans and caused the Green Sun to spawn.

Esme posted:

Easy mode: [S] WV: Ascend. Reading it the first time, that was the point where I realized I was in for something really unique. This makes my all time least favorite moment the felt intermission, since the beginning of that was where I caught up with the archives and had to wait for updates. And I just don't understand why everyone likes those guys so much :saddowns:.

Hard mode: Karkat: Troll this worthless human. Everything about it is wonderful, and makes all the troll romance bullshit worth it.

I caught up with Homestuck near the end of the intermission since a friend had been hounding me to read it, and I couldn't loving stand it. The Felt, the Midnight Crew, I just wanted the kids back. :saddowns:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dizz posted:

During [S]Cascade you see Gamzee typing "S U C K E R S." I noticed that it was highlighted to show white text.

Does this mean the one who was typing white this whole time to the kids and trolls was him this whole time? I'm guessing this was the reason he was considered the "Most important character in Homestuck"

He wasn't typing that, he was highlighting Scratch's message one letter at a time. Scratch said ages ago that he's totally comfortable with lying in the service of a joke or a prank, so long as he reveals he was pranking someone. And, well, he did. At literally the last possible second.

And the most important character in Homestuck is, in fact, Li'l Cal (who is also Lord English).

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 30, 2011

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
I would have to say this sequence of panels. As well as the few that come after it. It's just so absurd while at the same time making perfect sense within the context of the characters. So many real people have this same relationship with their parents.

A more in general pick would be every time that it suddenly changes perspectives to introduce a new character. The times for Rose and Jade did it the best. I just like it when, in stories, you suddenly learn about another character's life that seems completely independent from everything we've seen before, and then learning how it how ties in to the main plot. It's another reason why I liked Hivebent when I reread it.

Also the music is fantastic, but that sort of counts as an [s]

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Dizz posted:

No, Gamzee was having a conversation with Doc Scratch. Gamzee asked "Well what the mutherfuck are we" in response to an unknown statement from Scratch, and Scratch replied "S u c k e r s".

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I also wanna add that my favorite overall thing about Homestuck is how the pesterlogs have such natural dialog. It feels like conversations you could have with online friends about random nonsense. A lot of the times you see conversations between the kids that you yourself have had with other online friends. I feel it's one of the main reasons the comic speaks to such a huge fanbase (other than the trolls, of course)

It really relates to our generation despite all the insane poo poo it pulls plotwise.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
I think the single most memorable moment of the entire comic for me is the sequence where John blasts off for the first time, going to attempt to kill his denizen.

The "THIS IS STUPID" panel is easily the funniest thing ever.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

OmegaZultan posted:

I also wanna add that my favorite overall thing about Homestuck is how the pesterlogs have such natural dialog. It feels like conversations you could have with online friends about random nonsense. A lot of the times you see conversations between the kids that you yourself have had with other online friends. I feel it's one of the main reasons the comic speaks to such a huge fanbase (other than the trolls, of course)

It really relates to our generation despite all the insane poo poo it pulls plotwise.

Some of it is, in fact, real.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
You have locked up your last asian schoolgirl, you sick gently caress.

Perhaps not the funniest thing on it's own, but as a culmination of the entire story to date and a lead in to the end of Act 5, Hussie Hunt was just amazing.

KoB
May 1, 2009
CEB: what is so different about your romance?
CEB: what's a quadrant? how many do you have?
CTG: john god dammit stop embarrassing us
CTG: first of all weve got to be on record here as not giving a poo poo about that
CTG: second obviously theres gonna be 4 quadrants come on

This part always kills me. Dave and John's conversations are always fantastic. Along with some of the above like [s] John: Reunite with your loving wife and daughter. I still watch it every few weeks. Vriska and John's conversations are always enjoyable to me. They're so awkward and adorable :allears:

thanks alot assbag posted:

I think the single most memorable moment of the entire comic for me is the sequence where John blasts off for the first time, going to attempt to kill his denizen.

The "THIS IS STUPID" panel is easily the funniest thing ever.

Oh god this one too http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=003552
His face is amazing.

KoB fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 30, 2011

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

KoB posted:

Vriska and John's conversations are always enjoyable to me. They're so awkward and adorable :allears:

Inexplicably for me, one of the funniest moments from the entire comic for me is the very end of one of their first conversations..

"So I guess you're spidery themed?"
"Yup"
"Haha, ew, spiders are gross!"
"gently caress you!!!!!!!!"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

thanks alot assbag posted:

Inexplicably for me, one of the funniest moments from the entire comic for me is the very end of one of their first conversations..

"So I guess you're spidery themed?"
"Yup"
"Haha, ew, spiders are gross!"
"gently caress you!!!!!!!!"

I was just about to post that. From there on I knew their chatlogs would be something special because Vriska had obviously never talked with someone like John before. He's so unflappably derpy that he totally fucks up the trolls' expected power dynamics.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
My favorite moment was probably when Future!Dave prototyped himself and became Davesprite, leading to two Daves who could then talk to each other. I remember thinking while reading that this was the greatest development in fiction ever.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Ammat The Ankh posted:

My favorite moment was probably when Future!Dave prototyped himself and became Davesprite, leading to two Daves who could then talk to each other. I remember thinking while reading that this was the greatest development in fiction ever.
"ask me anything go ahead ill give you a straight answer"
"why are we so loving awesome"
"thats the best loving question anybody ever asked"

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I really wish there's some John conversations with more trolls, and really would have loved to see John talk to Eridan or Equius, he just makes a great foil for pretty much every character he talks with.

Favorite moment is probably the first Karkat/John log from Karkat's perspective.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

This one, because it is an incredibly funny memo (as all memos are, really!)

I was going to come here and post that one. Many of the different logs and memos make me crack a smile, but this one had me in stitches. I'm also really fond of this page, because I can just imagine Jack being distracted from his killing spree by delicious bones.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I was gonna do a big :words: post about events happening in parallel and tying together, but you're right. This is the best right here.

And the best part is, it can still keep happening.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

My favorite flash has always been [S] Jade: Dream up extra arms and play advanced bass solo. I remember my jaw dropping at the Prospit reveal when we finally begin to understand the significance of Jade's dreamself. This is however the one flash that originally had a Bolin song that I felt lost something significant with the change. The original song syncs up perfectly with the pulling away and revealing the setting in a way that the current one doesn't.

As for non-flash page this memo and how it devolves into Karkat and Terezi fighting over the keyboard and typing messages on each others accounts never fails to send me into hysterics.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

True Evil Bob posted:

I really wish there's some John conversations with more trolls, and really would have loved to see John talk to Eridan or Equius, he just makes a great foil for pretty much every character he talks with.

Favorite moment is probably the first Karkat/John log from Karkat's perspective.
I'm anticipating any new conversations between characters with no prior interactions. The fact that Dave and Rose are now about to meet Aradia and Sollux in person means that Sollux might finally chat with the humans! :)

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

KoB posted:

Vriska and John's conversations are always enjoyable to me. They're so awkward and adorable :allears:

GT: holy poo poo, look at these glittering space riches!

Easy mode: [s] Wake. Came out on my birthday, too.

net cafe scandal fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Feb 20, 2012

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
My favorite sequence is Kanaya and Rose's snark-off recapped at the beginning of Act 5 Act 2. Those 2 are my favorite non-WV characters and it still impresses me how that whole non-linear sequence was written over months. I think Karkat at one point says when you start trolling someone, you don't start drawing diagrams you just do it. I think that line was an inside joke because Hussie must have started drawing diagrams for the trolling he was about to write.

Close runners up would be Rose and Mom's passive aggressive-off on the fridge, WV's introduction, and most recently Rose and Dave's conversation where they kept talking about burgers and sports.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

KoB posted:

No lie, this is one of the main reasons I hope Vriska comes back in one form or another. Their conversations are just great. They're not the funniest things (those are almost exclusively based in Dave or Karkat), but I still really enjoy them.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
Easy mode: [s]John: Play haunting piano refrain. The start of the story was doing its job of drawing me in, but once I got to this page and heard Showtime for the first time, that's when I knew I was in for something special.

Hard mode: Gamzee's derpy face while staring at his miracle modus with the caption "Sometimes you just like to pick stuff up and watch the colors." will never fail to get a laugh out of me.
Actually, the entirety of Gamzee's introduction is my favorite part of the whole story. Sure he's a juggalo, but he comes off as such a stupid, loveable goof as opposed to the rest of the trolls.

Not quite the most memorable moments, but I guess I'm pretty easy to please.

Clam Chowdown fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Nonbaka posted:

Easy mode: [s]John: Play haunting piano refrain. The start of the story was doing its job of drawing me in, but once I got to this page and heard Showtime for the first time, that's when I knew I was in for something special.

Hard mode: Gamzee's derpy face while staring at his miracle modus with the caption "Sometimes you just like to pick stuff up and watch the colors." will never fail to get a laugh out of me.
Actually, the entirety of Gamzee's introduction is my favorite part of the whole story. Sure he's a juggalo, but he comes off as such a stupid, loveable goof as opposed to the rest of the trolls.

Not quite the most memorable moments, but I guess I'm pretty easy to please.

Pretty much everything that's been mentioned so far is all amazing, but my two are actually really similar to yours-

Easy Mode: The Title Splash I don't know how to explain it, but the slow zoom out, low winds and chimes and the monologue at the bottom really just made me realize what I was in for. A long day indeed.

Hard Mode: Gamzee retrieving his husktop. I don't know, after all the sylladex based shenanigans the characters went through, Gamzee bypassing them all is so fantastic.

Yeah, not the most funny or amazing moments I guess, just sort of the ones that come to mind when I think Homestuck.