Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Sporkles posted:

I've been away from my desktop for a couple weeks with probably another couple weeks to go, so I haven't been working on my backlog at all. Anyone have any recommendations for not very intensive laptop-friendly games?

Low system requirements, playable at your own pace:
- Dungeons of Dredmor
- Puzzle Quest
- SpaceChem

A bit faster-paced on some levels:
- World of Goo

Requires some degree of 3d capability, but still slow-paced:
- Children of the Nile
- Frozen Synapse

More actiony:
- Deus Ex
- Ultimate Doom (ideally via gzDoom + Brutal Doom)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Just finished up Mirror's Edge. Very pretty, very well-done, very enjoyable game. Story was nothing to write home about but they left it open for a possible sequel, which I hope they make. Also been making solid progress on Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. Got through the DLC and did a lot of tedious work to get the economy flowing and florins pouring in so from here on out it should be quicker. I think I'll probably finish that one next.

BadCriticism
Oct 8, 2011

Sporkles posted:

I've been away from my desktop for a couple weeks with probably another couple weeks to go, so I haven't been working on my backlog at all. Anyone have any recommendations for not very intensive laptop-friendly games?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/shannrd/ is me, for reference on what I've got to work with.

World of Goo, The Void, The Longest Journey, Sam & Max, Osmos, On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, King's Bounty, Gish, Frozen Synapse and Braid.

Those all work great on a laptop and you haven't played any of them according to your steams records.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
It took me nearly six months - admittedly not continuous, but this is not the sort of thing one can focus on monomaniacally - but I did it. I really did it.

I beat SpaceChem.

I'm still trying to adjust to this. This was a game that devoured all my spare brainpower and was literally making it hard to dream of things that weren't nanomachine circuits.

But I'm free. It's done. I did it. And I did it without hints. (I did, however, pick up a few techniques by comparing notes with others.)

I think this means it's time to go back to spend some quality time with World of Xeen, and maybe start progressing more in Frozen Synapse.

(Why yes, I did in fact pick up the Humble Indie Bundle despite already owning both games in the bundle proper. Would I be in this thread if I didn't have a problem? Ah well, I hear Shadowgrounds and friends are OK.)

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Just finished Portal 2 last night and it was fantastic. I guess spoiler tags and avoiding the game's thread worked as I had no idea about the story. I recommend those few people that were like me and put off playing it to get on it now!

I feel this last two months has been great for my backlog. In September I finished 4 games and so far in October I have finished 4 games also! Although I have exams very soon so that will all halted.

Next up though:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ManxomeBromide posted:

I beat SpaceChem.
:worship: That game has turned me inside out.

In other news, just when I thought I was free, I've ended up falling back into Minecraft. And TF2. Crap.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I think I've broken Alien Legacy.

I'm getting reports from my science officer about the H'Riak and Empiants. I can infer that the former created Gamma 1 (which was also identified as H'Riak Sporeship before I actually knew that it's not really an asteroid), but my science officer seems to have pulled the names and a lot of other information out of thin air.

I wonder if I completely missed a PDA entry or something, or if my bridge crew have been reading a walkthrough.

E: and now he's talking about "aliens encountered from Cronus" - WHAT ALIENS?

I think the game is assuming that I've triggered certain plot elements I really haven't.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 16, 2011

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Finished The Witcher. What a long-rear end game. I did most of the side-quests, but still. I'm going to pass on a second playthrough to see how the other choices turn out when I can look at the game guide that came with it for a summary. Decent game mechanics, and the plot kept me interested although my favourite part was it was the overall saltiness of the universe with its frankness on subjects like sex and racism towards non-humans. The game's got me interested in reading the books it's based on, which speaks of its effectiveness as a licensed product.

Also, skip the "extra adventures" or whatever the one-off stories that come with the Enhanced Edition are called because they're dumb and boring.

Next: Recettear. Before I took a break I made it to the final month but I don't think I'll be able to make enough cash in time for the repayment at the end of the month. :( Yeah, I know your adventurers keep their levels and equipment after a game over, but still.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Think I'm going to retire Just Cause 2, after 51 hours. Ended up with a modest 59.12% completion. Was obviously really fun as everyone here already knows. The save system annoyed me at first cause it felt like there weren't enough checkpoints, but when I realized I shouldn't pick up any collectibles during missions (so as not to lose them if I die) it stopped being a problem. The biggest flaw really is the immediate response of the army and the infinite respawns that seem to inevitably spiral into Level 4 heat and an endless cycle of helicopters. A delay on the army's reaction time would've been very welcome. I thought at first it was a factor of my chosen difficulty (Hard) but reading RPS's review it seems to be the same on Casual, so I dunno. Overall not a big deal. Great game, but a mod that removes the Black Market cutscenes is a must.

I'm rapidly approaching the end of the line, though. My next game is either STALKER: Clear Sky or Revenge of the Titans, and after those I'm left with either games that I have no interest in (mostly multiplayer-only stuff), or games that I've genuinely tried to get into but couldn't. The latter bunch includes some that are supposed to be very good, though (Darwinia, Uplink, Freedom Force, Space Rangers 2, to name a few), so they are probably worth a second/third chance... probably.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm working through Alpha Protocol currently, and it's really fun. Don't know how it sat in my backlog as long as it did. When I'm not playing that, I'm playing Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and PoP is a game that could benefit from a save anywhere system. Really frustrating to get through a long part, get stuck in a room, then run out of rewind sand and have to start all over again. Ugh. And it controls like crap with a kb+m.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Contingency Plan posted:

Finished The Witcher. What a long-rear end game. I did most of the side-quests, but still. I'm going to pass on a second playthrough to see how the other choices turn out when I can look at the game guide that came with it for a summary. Decent game mechanics, and the plot kept me interested although my favourite part was it was the overall saltiness of the universe with its frankness on subjects like sex and racism towards non-humans. The game's got me interested in reading the books it's based on, which speaks of its effectiveness as a licensed product.

Also, skip the "extra adventures" or whatever the one-off stories that come with the Enhanced Edition are called because they're dumb and boring.

I sort of started the Witcher the other night however I'm really not sure I'm going to like it. I'm almost an hour in (however 70% of that was intro movies and un-skippable cut scenes) and I'm fighting that mage guy. Should I persevere?

americanzero4128 posted:

I'm working through Alpha Protocol currently, and it's really fun. Don't know how it sat in my backlog as long as it did. When I'm not playing that, I'm playing Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and PoP is a game that could benefit from a save anywhere system. Really frustrating to get through a long part, get stuck in a room, then run out of rewind sand and have to start all over again. Ugh. And it controls like crap with a kb+m.

I also started PoP and feel the exact same way. It's pretty clunky especially with no windowed mode being available by default. There is a work around though.

I feel that after all the great games I have played in the last two months that these average-good games just aren't going to hold my interest. :eng99:

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Red Faction: Armageddon is in the bag. That series always manages to shoot itself in the foot somewhere, and here it was twofold. Vehicle sections were too long and too boring, and the final level design was pretty horrible. You have the best weapon ever, magnet gun, and no chance to use it? gently caress that. At least the singularity gun made the fights go by really quickly.

Not counting these two gripes, it's a really, really fun game. It's got the best weapon ever (magnet gun) and best sniper rifle ever (gauss rifle). Melee feels satisfying, the add-ons you can buy are for the most part interesting and dropping crap on bugs or people doesn't get old.

At around ten hours the main game isn't too long, and I think I did everything possible on the first runthrough (got all upgrades, all audio logs, all weapons). To be honest I don't want to play the game anymore, but since there is no content left it's ok. There's still DLC to go through but that can wait a bit.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

I sort of started the Witcher the other night however I'm really not sure I'm going to like it. I'm almost an hour in (however 70% of that was intro movies and un-skippable cut scenes) and I'm fighting that mage guy. Should I persevere?

The one in the prologue at Kaer Morhen? The game hits its stride around chapter 2, and the boss at the end of chapter 1 gives a lot of people trouble. I would say make it to chapter 2 and get out of the dungeon you start in before deciding whether you want to continue. Also, if you find yourself being overwhelmed by all the sidequests on offer just skip them and focus on the primary quests.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Red_Fred posted:

You really haven't even started The Witcher, yet. You're just in a prologue section where nothing is available to you. I'd say play a couple hours into the next section where you have free roam to see if it's going to hit its stride with you.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Contingency Plan posted:

The Witcher is one of the longest games I've ever played, I ended up getting over 70 hours in and I still had sidequests I hadn't done.

Those addons were really disappointing, some of them were actually just fan made crap that had no business being included with the game. I remember two being decent though, "Side Effects" and "The Price of Neutrality" had actual new voice acting and were the "official" addons, although I didn't care for Side Effects as much.

As far as I know, there are currently two books available in the US, "The Last Wish" and "Blood of Elves". I loved both of them and I usually hate fantasy writing. It's such an interesting and gritty world they've created. The Last Wish is actually just a bunch of short stories and from what I've read online, the chronology is a bit screwy so some things don't completely make sense. Blood of Elves is the followup and is an actual novel, but the rest of the books in that series are only available in Polish apparently, hopefully there will be a translation at some point. The Witcher wiki has a section that breaks down the books: http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Witcher_saga

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

Contingency Plan posted:

Next: Recettear. Before I took a break I made it to the final month but I don't think I'll be able to make enough cash in time for the repayment at the end of the month. :( Yeah, I know your adventurers keep their levels and equipment after a game over, but still.

I thought the same thing, but actually it's pretty easy if you just buy the most expensive items from the market and guild and stick to selling them.

If you're absolutely certain you can't make up the money, buy as much stuff as you can before the last day. Your money won't carry over but your entire stock will, so you can sell it all at the start of your new game.

I just finished Fable III. It seems most people hated it, but for the most part, I found it pretty enjoyable... though I'm so glad to be done with the game. Right at the very end, I was just waiting around killing time until I got the last million I needed to fill the treasury. Making real estate the only viable way to win the game as a good character was a really, really awful decision. Thank god the PC version came with a "repair all" button.

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP
Well I'm giving up on Company of Heroes. It's weird, I loved both Dawn of War 1 and Dawn of War 2, so I figured another Relic RTS would be right up my alley. But I don't know what it is about this game, somehow I'm just finding it tedious and frustrating and I'm also realizing I'm not at all into the WW2 setting. I don't know if it's just me getting older or what, but when I play DoW or Starcraft 2 I don't have a problem sending dozens of tiny mans off to die, but with Company of Heroes it just makes me loving depressed thinking of all the guys that actually did die during these battles.

So anyway because I have been really good about not adding to the backlog over the past year or so, I'm about where Glare Seethe mentions above, where mostly what's left in my backlog is games that I started and lost interest in (Ground Control, Trine, Alien Shooter 2: Reloaded, Darwinia, Uplink), stuff I'm not really interested in, and multiplayer/co-op stuff that can't really be finished.

The only games I'd currently consider to be in my "backlog" that I haven't touched yet are Hitman: Blood Money and Kings Bounty: AP/Crossworlds (edit: and Alpha Protocol)

So, is it finally time to buy a new game?? I've been eyeing Portal 2, DX:HR, and Fallout:NV for months. Or do I just hold off and mess around with what I've got now until the xmas sale?

Lamacq fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 20, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm still crunching along with Alien Legacy. I've made peace with the Empiants and they're helping me build a jumpgate. Or at least, they claim to be.

The research requirements are obscene, though, and in the meantime I've got a psychopathically xenophobic "humans first" splinter colony to contend with.

Glare Seethe posted:

Think I'm going to retire Just Cause 2, after 51 hours. Ended up with a modest 59.12% completion. Was obviously really fun as everyone here already knows. The save system annoyed me at first cause it felt like there weren't enough checkpoints, but when I realized I shouldn't pick up any collectibles during missions (so as not to lose them if I die) it stopped being a problem. The biggest flaw really is the immediate response of the army and the infinite respawns that seem to inevitably spiral into Level 4 heat and an endless cycle of helicopters.

An infinite supply of free helicopters, I think you mean. :black101:

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Red_Fred posted:

I'm midway through chapter 2 (I think?) and I'm getting really tired of fetch quests. Also the best way to fight when there are more than 3 enemies seems to be to run in circles and only turn around when I can use my stun magic thing and try for an auto kill, which is kind of frustrating.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

americanzero4128 posted:

When I'm not playing that, I'm playing Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and PoP is a game that could benefit from a save anywhere system. Really frustrating to get through a long part, get stuck in a room, then run out of rewind sand and have to start all over again. Ugh. And it controls like crap with a kb+m.

Having - over the past half-dozen or so pages of this thread - blown through about eight platformers, I can say this with a certain degree of confidence: don't play 3D platformers with KB+M. It's like the opposite of FPSes - where a mouser can aim perfectly at any point by giving a "point gun here" input with perfect precision, the gamepad player can make a platformer hero go in any direction by giving a "go this way" input with perfect precision. The Tomb Raider games in particular were absolutely gamepad-mandatory.

For PoP:SoT specifically:

First, try to stick it out, because there's a reason it's considered a classic.
Second, see if you can't get a gamepad working with it, because it's really going to help (I can't speak to PC SoT specifically here - I played it on PS2).
Third, if you're running out of rewind sand in mid-platforming sequences, consider doing deliberate suicides on errors earlier in the run so that by the time you get to the crunch time you still have plenty.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I just finished Portal 2 :stare:.

It's genuinely one of the best games I've ever played. Why nobody told me that it's not simply a Portal 1 sequel but a full-blown adventure with amazing atmosphere and vision. If any of you wait for Half-Life Episode 3 and haven't played Portal 2 - buy it immediately, just go to Steam, add it to cart and click buy. Right the gently caress now.

The atmosphere and momentum is on par with the Episodes and the graphics are really good. Also it's impressive how far Valve has gotten since building narration in Half-Life 1 and 2. Remember that train ride at the beginning of Half-Life 1 and "pick up the can" in Half-Life 2? - yeah they're child's play, more like gimmicks really in comparison to how well Portal 2 does this during it's whole rollercoaster ride.

As a cherry on top the dialogues are fantastically written and the game has one of the best endings I have ever experienced and people who risked greenlighting it are awesome.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Oct 20, 2011

TemplarNeo
Sep 8, 2006

I think I need this thread, I'm buying games at a rate that far exceeds how quickly I'm finishing them. Work really eats into game time, but if I don't work I have no games! With Halloween and Christmas sales fast approaching I need to get on top of this :colbert:

That backloggery script was pretty cool, finally added more than three games to my account, going to start by working on games that I'm currently playing. Then move to some random ones.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Palpek posted:

As a cherry on top the dialogues are fantastically written and the game has one of the best endings I have ever experienced and people who risked greenlighting it are awesome.

This just made me remember that ending. Holy crap, yes, that was a pretty 'epic' final sequence. Forgot somehow.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Chinook posted:

This just made me remember that ending. Holy crap, yes, that was a pretty 'epic' final sequence. Forgot somehow.
The climax of Portal 2 was somehow extremely ridiculous and very awesome at the same time. I remember thinking, "Huh, there's the moon. I wonder if anything would happen if I... what? Holy poo poo, I'm on the moon now?!?! Followed by me laughing my rear end off.

Anyways, along with Far Cry 2, I've been playing a bit of Two Worlds 2. It doesn't have the cheesy charm of the first one, and as bad as the horse riding controls were in the first one, they somehow made it *worse* in this one. I've come across a "horse race" quest, too, that made me say "gently caress that"; hopefully it isn't important to the main quest. Other than that, it's kind of fun, other than fighting mostly just wild animals so far (coming across ostriches and baboons was interesting at first, but it's gotten old real quick), and stupid stuff like giant ants being tougher to kill than things like cheetahs. Reminds me of trying to play Daggerfall, where werewolves were simple enough to kill, but giant scorpions kicked my rear end constantly. Makes me wonder if many game developers have a history of being stung as a young child.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Finished up one that has been plaguing me since Ubisoft Week in May, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. Very good overall. Combat was super satisfying, I enjoyed getting to know Ezio better as opposed to our experience with Altair where the character became more likable after the game featuring him was finished. It took me a long time to get through the first half or so because of my compulsion to do every single thing available to me (there's a whole lot) and max out everything I could to the point where I was running through districts for hours trying to find every single treasure chest so I could unlock a quiver to hold 5 more crossbow bolts. Not very fun. As soon as I realized that I had unlocked enough stuff to make sure the end game wasn't difficult, I just powered through the second half. Much better, the story flowed well and climaxed nicely. Revelations should be interesting. The ending with Desmond stabbing the love interest was dumb though. I really hope they don't try and make a Desmond-centric game because the guy really is just dull. AC needs to remain a series about Desmond's ancestors romping through history with maybe an hour of Desmond advancing the stupid plot about the sun exploding or whatever.

Next up, NFS: Hot Pursuit. I have unlocked every Racer car and consider that part beaten. After I get all the Cop cars, I'll consider the whole thing beaten. I'm also treating the Napoleon: Total War campaigns as a contiguous storyline to be beaten. I've finished Italy and Egypt, now it's time to get into the main European campaign.

abiogenesis
Feb 4, 2009
I just built a new gaming rig and I've been going crazy buying new games. These Steam combo deals are killing me :(

Backloggery looks really fun though. I need more statistics!!

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I've been messing around a bit with World of Xeen. You know how people talk about how nobody cares about games being fun these days? As if modern games were homework assignments and not, oh, I don't know, carnival boardwalks or something?

I'm not sure what it has to do with "fun" as such, but there is definitely a difference. Seriously, check out this loading screen.

Not that you don't still see stuff like that these days - Costume Quest and Rock of Ages both come immediately to mind - but yeah, AAA games don't take the piss out of themselves quite that flagrantly these days.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

God help me I actually beat Painkiller: Redemption. 6000+ enemies, dead.

On my birthday (Oct. 12th), they actually released new content including 2 new levels, which I also beat. They weren't bad.

It's not a bad game, and a decent time killer for 5 bucks, but it sure as hell convinced me that the weapons (bonegun, demon head, etc) suck all types of rear end. I won't be touching the other Painkiller expansion thing, thanks for sure.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Hello everyone, my name is quiggy, and I'm becoming a Steamaholic. I've decided to play through my backlog of (mostly) Steam games, so hopefully between this thread and Backloggery I can get through this. Just plugged in my games into Backloggery, it spat back Sanctum as the one to play, so now it's time to go beat the single player. Tower defense ahoy!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
So after about 100ish hours, I finally beat The Last Remnant. Beat, not Completed - there were probably at least a dozen optional bosses I didn't fight, dozens of guild tasks and rare monsters uncompleted, I barely touched the weapon upgrade systems, and after the fully-upgraded final boss completely raped my party I reloaded an earlier save before I turned in the final sidequest so I could fight a much more reasonable version of him.

It's definitely not for everyone, since the plot is prime dumb JRPG and the vast majority of the game is combat, but if it clicks for you, holy crap is there a lot of content.

Now for some quick dumb games to contrast with sprawl.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
I've beaten Battlefield 3's campaign, which was pretty stupid in its presentation but impressive in its audio and visual work. I'm kinda upset they switched to a Black Ops-style storytelling rather than the more humorous Bad Company that would provide some chuckles to move the game from big firefight to big firefight. The story was disjointed and uninteresting but it was a good tech demo for the engine at any rate.

Also finished Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter with about 8 goons. The game flies by with unlimited cannon ammo and 8 other people, even on the highest difficulty. Good fun all around.

Added and knocked off Renegade Ops, also with some other folks. A super goofy story but also an excellent game. I've also bought and been gifted games out the butt so my backlog is still growing and will continue to grow as I will end up focusing on the timesinks called Skyrim and Saints Row 3 next month. These next few months will probably see zero reduction in the backlog.

e: vvvv Ok!

csm141 fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 30, 2011

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

^^^ Jesus, man! Paragraphs!

I just beat Fallout : New Vegas after 32 hours. I got bored at one point and stopped exploring and doing all those side quests since everyone is so needy! It took me more than 3 weeks.

My next game should be something shorter. Any suggestions? http://www.backloggery.com/hemish

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Hemish posted:

My next game should be something shorter. Any suggestions? http://www.backloggery.com/hemish
Half Life 2?

0xAYN
Nov 22, 2010

idk lol

Hemish posted:

I just beat Fallout : New Vegas after 32 hours. I got bored at one point and stopped exploring and doing all those side quests since everyone is so needy! It took me more than 3 weeks.

I'd vote for Dead Space or Bioshock, although jvempire suggesting Half Life 2 isn't a bad idea either.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Yeah Half-Life 2 isn't incredibly short but you should play it because it's really good, and before it ages too much to enjoy fully. Then knock out both of the episodes, those are really short and really good.

Kane & Lynch is a really short game. I played the second and it was like 4 hours, I heard the first one was similar. I had fun with it, although it's not a great game.

And for some games it looks like you picked up recently, Gemini Rue I've been hearing a lot of good things about, although I don't know how long it is. Scratches I played a while ago and mostly liked, plus it fits in with Halloween coming up.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Hemish posted:

Going through your list for things that I both liked and cleared in less than five hours:

Zeno Clash (first-person fighting game, very unique)
Shatter (Gorgeous breakout-style game)
Jolly Rover (Cute and surprisingly smoothly implemented graphic adventure)

If we up the time limit to the 10-15 hour range, Bioshock, Darwinia, and Uplink also go on the list, as do Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis and the Monkey Island special editions. (If you've already played the Monkey Island games and only have them for the special editions, you can re-traverse them easily in less than five.)

HL2 is an excellent game overall, but it took me over 20 hours to clear, so I'm not sure if it should count as a quick game.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Hemish posted:

Any suggestions? http://www.backloggery.com/hemish

You should feel bad for not having Half Life 2 completed.

That and the STALKER series are both great FPS. My personal favorite in the series is Call of Pripyat but if you play that first you'll quickly grow tired of the other sub-par titles in the series. Clear Sky is almost not worth playing, and the original (Shadow of Chernobyl) probably still is if you get Stalker Complete.

As far as shorter games go, Puzzle Agent is a very shot little adventure game with a neat story. Some of the Puzzles are crap though, which is kind of the whole point of the game I guess.

I finished Shadowgrounds not long ago and it is definitely worth playing. The ENTER key brings up the weapon upgrade screen FYI, I got to like the second or third level before I knew what those upgrade pieces were for that I was picking up. Yes, I'm an idiot.

Torchlight is fun if you just want to play something which requires minimal thinking, but isn't really that short.

How long did Racettear take you to finish? I've been meaning to play that but World of Tanks has sort of consumed me and left my backlog frozen.

0xAYN
Nov 22, 2010

idk lol

Xik posted:

I finished Shadowgrounds not long ago and it is definitely worth playing. The ENTER key brings up the weapon upgrade screen FYI, I got to like the second or third level before I knew what those upgrade pieces were for that I was picking up. Yes, I'm an idiot.

I second Shadowgrounds, its short and really fun. If you are playing on a Mac you may run into a sound issue where the voice acting doesn't play, but other than that it's a solid game.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I think it's a bad sign when I look at all your suggestions and I'm wondering where did you guys get these titles that I don't have... then I find them in my list!

Black Hole Assault posted:

I'd vote for Dead Space or Bioshock, although jvempire suggesting Half Life 2 isn't a bad idea either.

Yeah I've been looking at Dead Space and Bioshock because of this sale. I bought to many sequels "just in case" and never even played the original.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Yeah Half-Life 2 isn't incredibly short but you should play it because it's really good, and before it ages too much to enjoy fully. Then knock out both of the episodes, those are really short and really good.

Kane & Lynch is a really short game. I played the second and it was like 4 hours, I heard the first one was similar. I had fun with it, although it's not a great game.

And for some games it looks like you picked up recently, Gemini Rue I've been hearing a lot of good things about, although I don't know how long it is. Scratches I played a while ago and mostly liked, plus it fits in with Halloween coming up.

I don't know why but I tried my hand at Half-Life 2 a few times and I always lose interest at some point. I don't plan on playing Kane and Leech. I got it in a pack and I played the second one co-op with a friend.

Xik posted:

You should feel bad for not having Half Life 2 completed.

That and the STALKER series are both great FPS. My personal favorite in the series is Call of Pripyat but if you play that first you'll quickly grow tired of the other sub-par titles in the series. Clear Sky is almost not worth playing, and the original (Shadow of Chernobyl) probably still is if you get Stalker Complete.

As far as shorter games go, Puzzle Agent is a very shot little adventure game with a neat story. Some of the Puzzles are crap though, which is kind of the whole point of the game I guess.

Torchlight is fun if you just want to play something which requires minimal thinking, but isn't really that short.

How long did Racettear take you to finish? I've been meaning to play that but World of Tanks has sort of consumed me and left my backlog frozen.

Stalker is a game I should play at one point. I had Stalker Complete bookmarked since forever ago. Thank you for the playing order advice.

I never beat Racettear, no matter how many times I tried I ended up being too short by a small marging. Had my fun with it so that's why it may be set to Beat.

Thank you very much guys for the recommendations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Started and beat ARES today. Short but solid little platformer, kind of a cross between Megaman X and Gunstar Heroes. Good little rainy day kind of game, while giving some extra challenge if you're the kind to try to play levels over for score/rankings.