Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Saturday at 8 server/8 pacific/11 eastern/10 central/11:30 Newfoundland.

Hey Asimo, we need 50g for the Lightning Round. Donate for once!

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Aphrodite posted:

People pretending to be female in the Contests channel are already whining about the CC.

It's a success.

Women do actually exist, though. You also don't have to be a woman to think that this is a bad idea. There's nothing that distinguishes Slutty Costume Contest Havers (henceforth referred to as "SCCH individuals") from any other bunch of shitheads out there. If you want to mock the skimpy and terrible outfits that people make in droves, just have a contest where participants are secretly graded on modesty. If you want some irony or whatever you can have all judges wear as little as is possible.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

chelsea clinton posted:

Women do actually exist, though. You also don't have to be a woman to think that this is a bad idea. There's nothing that distinguishes Slutty Costume Contest Havers (henceforth referred to as "SCCH individuals") from any other bunch of shitheads out there. If you want to mock the skimpy and terrible outfits that people make in droves, just have a contest where participants are secretly graded on modesty. If you want some irony or whatever you can have all judges wear as little as is possible.

You made me sad knowing someone with your opinion and view of the world exists.

It's so obvious that it's a joke as its s play on the fact that all the super serious CC's ( that think Nixon is a fictional character from futurama) have the dumbest category in existence "sexy".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

chelsea clinton posted:

There's nothing that distinguishes Slutty Costume Contest Havers (henceforth referred to as "SCCH individuals") from any other bunch of shitheads out there.

Nope. No there is not.

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ColHannibal posted:

It's so obvious that it's a joke as its s play on the fact that all the super serious CC's ( that think Nixon is a fictional character from futurama) have the dumbest category in existence "sexy".

You observe that all the costume contests that take themselves seriously either have a category for or otherwise reward dumb, skimpy outfits. Your response to it is to make a contest where every category is for dumb, skimpy outfits. Your response to behaviour you dislike is doing the exact same thing except "'ironically'" or whatever. You use language that makes women uncomfortable enough to openly complain about it (but since women obviously don't exist you can just ignore them). This isn't very clever. You could have a Least Skin Showing category. That would actually be a joke and not only an imitation of shitheads.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

chelsea clinton posted:

You observe that all the costume contests that take themselves seriously either have a category for or otherwise reward dumb, skimpy outfits. Your response to it is to make a contest where every category is for dumb, skimpy outfits. Your response to behaviour you dislike is doing the exact same thing except "'ironically'" or whatever. You use language that makes women uncomfortable enough to openly complain about it (but since women obviously don't exist you can just ignore them). This isn't very clever. You could have a Least Skin Showing category. That would actually be a joke and not only an imitation of shitheads.

And they also have CC's with decent broad categories and pick terrible costumes to win. We pick terrible narrow categories and pick good costumes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ColHannibal posted:

...Wait, no it isn't.

It's about how 90% of Halloween costumes are just slutty versions of regular things. That's why it was just going to be the standard SPEARC 10 until people started having weird ideas.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

...Wait, no it isn't.

It's about how 90% of Halloween costumes are just slutty versions of regular things. That's why it was just going to be the standard SPEARC 10 until people started having weird ideas.
I'm more in favor of spearc 10 than these stupid cats.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

chelsea clinton posted:

You observe that all the costume contests that take themselves seriously either have a category for or otherwise reward dumb, skimpy outfits. Your response to it is to make a contest where every category is for dumb, skimpy outfits.

Dumb, skimpy outfits worn by (going by the specified categories) the Creature from the Black Lagoon, Woody Woodpecker, Freddy the Freeloader, Dr. Clayton "Firebrand" Forrester and Cookie Monster.

The outfit -- in and of itself -- is not the part that's funny. The outfit in increasingly inappropriate settings -- and keep in mind that this IS a Halloween contest (Halloween being the holiday heavily marketed to mainstream women as 'dress like a slut for a day') in a superhero game (capes being a genre where strategically placed dental floss and ginormous hooters are standard practice for even strong, established heroines) that's an MMO (insert your own pubbie IQ joke here) -- is the balloon this contest is poking at.

Nowhere does it say that slutty looking women are what the judges are looking for. It's arguable whether or not a typical member of three of the categories would even HAVE genitals.

But yeah, we're just typical sexist male pigs who set this up just so we can throw Gs at whoever's most adept at pushing the Breasts slider all the way to the right.

delfin fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 27, 2011

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ColHannibal posted:

I'm more in favor of spearc 10 than these stupid cats.

Me too, but it's too late.

That's why I made mine Wizard. It's the kind of simplicity I was aiming for.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Aphrodite posted:

It's about how 90% of Halloween costumes are just slutty versions of regular things.

I was looking online for Halloween costume ideas. After spending thirty seconds on this site, I decided I was gonna make my own. :stare:

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Patch notes are up for the latest update, and there's way too much poo poo in it to summarize so just read it.

(cherry-picking: they managed to make Amazing Grace WORSE. :stare:)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bloodmoon changes summary:

The trick or treat bags can contain weak buff items, new action figures, limited versions of the Become Devices or the old Halloween costume set pieces (And apparently one or two new ones.) It can also contain a useless rock.

All the new stuff is from the revamped Takofanes fight. There's a device that gives you a black aura, and a few costume pieces.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 27, 2011

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

delfin posted:

Patch notes are up for the latest update, and there's way too much poo poo in it to summarize so just read it.

Amazing Grace has its useless. But sadly only for PvP, or if you are anal about getting the most out of dodge mechanics.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Hey Asimo, we need 50g for the Lightning Round. Donate for once!
Sure thing. :patriot: I'll actually try and be around this time too if I remember really, even if I can't judge worth poo poo.

Also I see forums cancer is doing its job admirably.

Asimo fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 28, 2011

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Allatum posted:

Amazing Grace has its useless. But sadly only for PvP, or if you are anal about getting the most out of dodge mechanics.

Yeah, I'd rank it above Eroded Shard (gently caress-all useless) and Revanancy (mostly useless) in the Blood Moon boss drops, probably about even with Revenant of Firefight (nice device hamstrung by a short duration) for a dodge build. But did it really need to tack on an Active Defense cooldown as well?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

delfin posted:

Who cares about Amazing Grace. What's important is that the completely overpowered unarmed attacks are completely awesome.

I popped on with my Kenshiro earlier and my god Hundred Hands is just insane with how fast it mutilates everything in front of it. Then you got the offensive clicky and the dimensional dots. Jesus man insane.

tamriilin
Dec 29, 2008

House was on this page when he got that annoying "I'm such a genius" look.
Am I the only one who seems to be experiencing a lot more driver-related crashes (i.e. direct3d errors, etc) since the blood moon update?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

randombattle posted:

Who cares about Amazing Grace. What's important is that the completely overpowered unarmed attacks are completely awesome.

I popped on with my Kenshiro earlier and my god Hundred Hands is just insane with how fast it mutilates everything in front of it. Then you got the offensive clicky and the dimensional dots. Jesus man insane.

I've got a Dex/ego crit build with FotT, and hundred hands destroyed everyone.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Aphrodite posted:

Bloodmoon changes summary:

The trick or treat bags can contain weak buff items, new action figures, limited versions of the Become Devices or the old Halloween costume set pieces (And apparently one or two new ones.) It can also contain a useless rock.

Trip report: It is unclear whether or not you can get the 'permanent' Become Devices from the street trick-or-treater bags as a rare drop. However, it might be worth it to collect a bunch of bags anyway, as the four candies and the Rock autosell for about a quarter of a G apiece. Since the trick-or-treaters are flooding the streets and the occasional monster version is a pretty easy kill (and worth about 1.3K exp each with Witchcraft's 2x exp buff), it's a reasonable Skinner box diversion in between grinding out boss drops.

Regardless, the Undead Heroes are still your best resource-making resource. The boss devices are low probability but high reward (even Eroded Shard gets about 30-40Gs, better ones go in three figures) and you're guaranteed one very good item just for getting one punch in on the boss.

Anecdotally, some or all of the new Tako item drops are not tied to being first on his scoreboard. I haven't fought Tako yet in this Blood Moon incarnation, but there are reportedly 21 possible drops, so I'll throw in a bolt or two and take my chances.

When fighting Tako, it can turn into slideshow mode because of the 99 other players all fighting him at once. Set Options - HUD - Other Players - Show Player Names and Life to Never for a significant frame rate increase.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

None of the new drops require you to place well.

They are additional drops that appear randomly (But with good odds.)

Edit: Also, apparently there's a C-Store sale going on now. I don't know where it was announced.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 28, 2011

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

I just finished the tutorial. I kinda know what I'm doing but not entirely. Is there a separate villain/hero track in this game or is it all heroes all the time?

I am playing it using wine on my Mac and it's just as fast or a little faster than CoH.

There are so many drat powers. How should I make decisions about selecting some over others? I came out of the tutorial at level 6 and got a talent, a flight power, a power, and a specialty or something. Are all of those things interchangeable? Like could I have taken 4 powers instead?

Last question: what's the best way to take a screenshot of a hero?

Sidpret fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 30, 2011

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sidpret posted:

I just finished the tutorial. I kinda know what I'm doing but not entirely. Is there a separate villain/hero track in this game or is it all heroes all the time?

CO is currently just heroes.

quote:

There are so many drat powers. How should I make decisions about selecting some over others? I came out of the tutorial at level 6 and got a talent, a flight power, a power, and a specialty or something. Are all of those things interchangeable? Like could I have taken 4 powers instead?

No, they're all separate.

You get new powers every 3 levels starting from and including 5.

You get 1 advantage point a level. Advantages let you specialize a power a bit, or strengthen your bread and butter powers.

You get 1 talent something like every 2 levels until you have 6 talents. They're passive stat boosts. They suck, and whenever you get a level that's just a talent you will hate it.

You get a travel power at 5, and 35.

As for choosing powers, Bluhman wrote a bit about every powerset some time ago. They should be linked in the OP. That'll give you an idea about what powers are good. You can also post what you'd like to do and what you want your theme to be and we can help you.

quote:

Last question: what's the best way to take a screenshot of a hero?

Character selection screen or tailor give the best shots.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Halloween Costume Contest~ :iiam:

First up, Slutty Movie Monster, won by Wraith.

Next, Slutty Cartoon Character, also won by Wraith.

Then we've got Slutty Hobo, won by Mister Cuddles.

Moving on to Slutty Muppet, we have no winners because everyone standing was just in some lovely furry costume they already had for yiffing in Club Caprice The Flying Squirrel.

After that we had another double winner (there were like 10-15 people in the contest but guddamn some of them sucked), Slutty Movie Monster by The Angry Egg.

Finally, The Angry Egg's other winning costume, Slutty Wizard.

Hopefully you guys enjoy the awful (lack of) anti-aliasing just as much as enjoyed fumbling around with Gimp's awful loving interface to crop these fuckers down. Where the gently caress is my Photoshop 7 disc.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Here's everyone's homework:

Since some people think we need a ton of people to show up for a CC to be successful, we need a CC idea that is easy for idiots to pull off, but is still funny. Preferably something where people can use costumes they'd already have, because that's how you get a lot of people.

An example would be the one where we combined all those categories into 2 word categories. A lot of people showed for that, though admittedly more than a few misread it (Which was the entire point anyway.)

Some ideas are doing that again, but with different combos. Or doing it but with 3 words this time (Sexy Creature Tech, etc.)

One I had is that we take one of the common categories, Tech for this example, and use that as a common thread for all of the others. We can use the common categories if we want, like Sexy Tech, Fantasy Tech, Retro Tech etc., or we can just use that thread and add whatever modifiers we want. Emo Tech, Slutty Tech, Cartoon Tech etc. That common thread should be enough to get a bunch of people.

Bonus is that we get at least 10 CCs out of that idea.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 30, 2011

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Here's everyone's homework:

Since some people think we need a ton of people to show up for a CC to be successful, we need a CC idea that is easy for idiots to pull off, but is still funny. Preferably something where people can use costumes they'd already have, because that's how you get a lot of people.

An example would be the one where we combined all those categories into 2 word categories. A lot of people showed for that, though admittedly more than a few misread it (Which was the entire point anyway.)

Well, I have an idea for a category that's kind of funny - I'm not sure how many people would already have a costume like this though, but I know I've seen at least a few costumes that'd fit:

Best Reverse Furry. Take a popular animal character (like Bugs Bunny or Star Fox Fox McCloud or something) and make it into a human. The challenge is to make it still apparent as to whom the character is supposed to be.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Benjamin Black posted:

Well, I have an idea for a category that's kind of funny - I'm not sure how many people would already have a costume like this though, but I know I've seen at least a few costumes that'd fit:

Best Reverse Furry. Take a popular animal character (like Bugs Bunny or Star Fox or something) and make it into a human. The challenge is to make it still apparent as to whom the character is supposed to be.

I like that, provided we do not allow ponies.

That could work for one week where we just have a single category, but with a larger prize. The 5 ridiculous categories one we did (Also known as "The Hulkpool CC") didn't work out so well, but if we did only one category like that with a huge prize it could probably attract quite a few people, and if it doesn't at least it's over fast.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

I like that, provided we do not allow ponies.
Well that's going to cut down on the entries quite a bit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I didn't mean not allow to enter. I meant to win.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

I'm gonna post some screenshots of my own in case anyone wants to see the winners with actual textures and normal mapping.

EDIT: I just realized out of all the winning players only one was female. :gay:

jjac fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 30, 2011

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Aphrodite posted:

That could work for one week where we just have a single category, but with a larger prize. The 5 ridiculous categories one we did (Also known as "The Hulkpool CC") didn't work out so well, but if we did only one category like that with a huge prize it could probably attract quite a few people, and if it doesn't at least it's over fast.

Hey now, that CC had some of our best attendance rates. It was just ruined by certain people duelling throughout.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

jjac posted:

I'm gonna post some screenshots of my own in case anyone wants to see the winners with actual textures and normal mapping.

EDIT: I just realized out of all the winning players only one was female. :gay:

Yeah, I probably shouldn't be the photographer unless I want to melt my laptop with cranked up settings. :v:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jan posted:

Hey now, that CC had some of our best attendance rates. It was just ruined by certain people duelling throughout.

No you're thinking of the first one. That one was easily our worst.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
how do I claim the free character slot? I don't see it in the bonus tab of the in-game C Store.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

rex monday posted:

how do I claim the free character slot? I don't see it in the bonus tab of the in-game C Store.

Are you trying to do it from the site? It has to be in-game.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
No, I'm trying it in game.

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

The character creator in this game is killer. I levelled my guy to 10, got a little tired of beating up on purple gang members, and hosed around making characters for a while - probably the best part of the game. I like that there's a lot more possibility for asymmetry compared to CoH. The right/left toggles are smart, and the bodies are just more deformable in general which is nice. Earlier in the thread it looked like some people were able to take screens of their characters on the character selection screen without all the miscellaneous crap around them (play, options etc). How do you do that?

I also joined SuperGoon but never saw an actual message from anyone. There's a ton of what looks like auction spam. How could I turn that stuff off?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sidpret posted:

The character creator in this game is killer. I levelled my guy to 10, got a little tired of beating up on purple gang members, and hosed around making characters for a while - probably the best part of the game. I like that there's a lot more possibility for asymmetry compared to CoH. The right/left toggles are smart, and the bodies are just more deformable in general which is nice. Earlier in the thread it looked like some people were able to take screens of their characters on the character selection screen without all the miscellaneous crap around them (play, options etc). How do you do that?

I also joined SuperGoon but never saw an actual message from anyone. There's a ton of what looks like auction spam. How could I turn that stuff off?

Did you join "Supergoon", or "Supergoons"? It's the former.

Also that's probably zone. Right click your chat tabs to change that stuff.

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Did you join "Supergoon", or "Supergoons"? It's the former.

That must be it. Might wanna fix that in the OP - it says to channel_join SuperGoon

edit - whoops, thought you said latter not former. So the OP is right. I will play with it when I get back on in a little bit.

Sidpret fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, that's right. Supergoon and SuperGoon are the same thing. A lot of the time people put an S in though.

I see you listed as joining the chat. In the chat options there's a channels tab, try changing the color to something more noticeable.