Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art

psychicsecession posted:

Does anyone know about any good compilations of old 91/92 rave stuff?
I'm thinking like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcoG96p1e8c
or this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKoKadYgcH0

While I'm not aware of any compilations that have come out recently, Uncle Dugs hosts a show on Rinse.fm every Friday 11am-2pm GMT, however podcasts are available on the Rinse site as well. A lot of old 90s hardcore/rave/jungle classics being played out. About as close to a compilation of classic rave tunes as you can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
If I really like Unwound's Leaves Turn Inside You album, what else might I be into?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Final Fart Buttball posted:

If I really like Unwound's Leaves Turn Inside You album, what else might I be into?

Man, I love Unwound- too bad Leaves Turn is kind of the odd one out in their catalog, because there's a lot more stuff that sounds like their earlier albums. I think Trail of Dead's Source Tags and Codes finds a similar balance of abrasive/arty/heavy/pretty, as do a bunch of the Louisville bands like Rodan, Shipping News, June of 44... and of course all of these bands owe a debt to Sonic Youth and Slint.

twoski
Sep 11, 2011
Maybe this thread can help me. I've fallen into a rut with music and i need more variety in my mix.

My tastes are a bit weird, in my opinion. I've recently been listening to Boards Of Canada, Mux Mool, Locust Toybox, Aphex Twin, Flying Lotus, etc. I used to never listen to electronic music, I just kind of eased into it. I had downloaded Boards Of Canada's Campfire Headphase and never actually listened to it for a year. Every once in a while it would come on via random shuffle and i'd listen to it. Eventually i became a huge fan and started delving into more electronic.

Before that phase i generally listened only to variants of rock. Lots of Canadian Rock too. I'm still a huge fan of bands like I Mother Earth, Big Wreck, The Tragically Hip, etc. A fair amount of alt rock as well. I enjoy good hip-hop too.

So with those tastes in mind, is there anything people can suggest to me? I'd love to discover more bands but i just don't know where to start. I have an awful habit of just skipping songs i don't really know when they come on instead of chilling and listening to them. I wish Canada had pandora radio.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I'm a huge Prince fan. I love funky, sexy-rear end pop music. What's some more music like that? Another good example would be Justin Timberlake's second album; stuff that's usually got a lot of synth and funky beats.

I have pretty much everything by Prince and his affiliates.

EDIT:

That seemed kind of vague so here's some examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KYPkmGpooI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISZacjyerqc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3NdNXcYdhU

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 30, 2011

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Final Fart Buttball posted:

That depends which songs off it you dig the most. If it's weird but at times beautiful stuff then try Merchandise (LP on Katorga Works), El Jesus De Magico, Dadamah, the latest Total Control - Henge Beat LP and The Young - Voyagers of Legend LP.

June of 44 was an excellent recommendation. be sure to check out Enablers (the SF band).

canis minor
May 4, 2011

twoski posted:

Maybe this thread can help me. I've fallen into a rut with music and i need more variety in my mix.

My tastes are a bit weird, in my opinion. I've recently been listening to Boards Of Canada, Mux Mool, Locust Toybox, Aphex Twin, Flying Lotus, etc. I used to never listen to electronic music, I just kind of eased into it. I had downloaded Boards Of Canada's Campfire Headphase and never actually listened to it for a year. Every once in a while it would come on via random shuffle and i'd listen to it. Eventually i became a huge fan and started delving into more electronic.

Amon Tobin, Battles, Squarepusher, The Field, The Fridge, Trentemoller, Tycho, Ulrich Schnauss, Undermathic
Venetian Snares.

I'd say, basing on your tastes, you should find Amon Tobin, Ulrich Schnauss, Undermathic and Venetian Snares the most acceptable, but other artists deserve their mention as well.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I really got into Lupe Fiasco, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for other smooth positive hip hop like The Show Goes On?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmp6zIr5y4U&ob=av3e

twoski
Sep 11, 2011

eithedog posted:

Venetian Snares

I know that name! Isn't that the guy who made an album devoted to talking poo poo about Winnipeg?

An0
Nov 10, 2006
I enjoy eating After Eights. I also enjoy eating Old El Paso salsa with added Tobasco.
I know absolutely nothing about Chinese music. Anybody want to give me some directions to go in, some interesting blogs, and a bunch of youtubes?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

An0 posted:

I know absolutely nothing about Chinese music. Anybody want to give me some directions to go in, some interesting blogs, and a bunch of youtubes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEJbNPeYNz8 and related links :11tea:

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
Hey guys, for someone who claims to love jazz, I don't really seem to listen to anything after the 70s.

Hit me with anything which could be considered modern, I've got an open mind.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Hey guys, for someone who claims to love jazz, I don't really seem to listen to anything after the 70s.

Mahavishnu!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Nuclear Spoon posted:

poo poo, while we're doing fusion:

Gordian Knot - Muttersprache

And for something a little different:

The Cinematic Orchestra feat. Fontella Bass - All That You Give
The Cinematic Orchestra - The Man with the Movie Camera

twoski posted:

Before that phase i generally listened only to variants of rock. Lots of Canadian Rock too. I'm still a huge fan of bands like I Mother Earth, Big Wreck, The Tragically Hip, etc. A fair amount of alt rock as well. I enjoy good hip-hop too.

So with those tastes in mind, is there anything people can suggest to me? I'd love to discover more bands but i just don't know where to start. I have an awful habit of just skipping songs i don't really know when they come on instead of chilling and listening to them. I wish Canada had pandora radio.
Future Sound of London's Lifeforms and Dead Cities sound like they're up your alley. They're best experienced if you totally immerse yourselves in them, but they're not accessible at all. Leave them on in the background for a few spins while you do other stuff before you try to really approach them.

Edit: Check this out too
Dalek - Street Diction

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 1, 2011

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I checked back a couple pages and didn't see anything exactly along these lines.

First, I want to expand my collection of classic and modern psychedelic rock and psychedelic folk. I'm familiar with Jefferson Airplane, early Moody Blues, Tame Impala, Devendra Banhart, etc. I know there are lots of big names and big albums I'm missing, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Bonus points for female vocalists.

Second, I want to get into hip-hop with solid funky live backing, especially if it sounds like dirty '70s funk. Anything like The Roots or OutKast.

Time Cowboy fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 1, 2011

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Time Cowboy posted:

I checked back a couple pages and didn't see anything exactly along these lines.

First, I want to expand my collection of classic and modern psychedlic rock and folk. I'm familiar with Jefferson Airplane, early Moody Blues, Tame Impala, Devendra Banhart, etc. I know there are lots of big names and big albums I'm missing, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Bonus points for female vocalists.
I'm not big on folk, but here's some psychedelia.

Arthur Brown is the godfather of psychedelic rock. Some of his stuff is fairly poppy and accessible and some is totally avant-garde noise, but here's a few that represent him and his many different styles:

Fire
Nightmare
Sunrise
Time Captives

You might also be interested in the first few Porcupine Tree albums. Here's a few tracks:

Synesthesia
Nine Cats
Waiting (Phase One)

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 1, 2011

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Misogynist posted:

Fire

I've heard that opening bit in so many different places. It's awesome to know where it came from now. Thanks!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Time Cowboy posted:

First, I want to expand my collection of classic and modern psychedelic rock and psychedelic folk. I'm familiar with Jefferson Airplane, early Moody Blues, Tame Impala, Devendra Banhart, etc. I know there are lots of big names and big albums I'm missing, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Bonus points for female vocalists.

Gong—everything they did from Camembert Electrique through You. Female vocalist Gilli Smythe rarely sings lead, normally contributing ethereal whispers and wails, but she and partner Daevid Allen were the heart and soul of this band, and you may also want to look into their respective solo careers.

The first two Nuggets compilations are an excellent overview of psychedelic and garage rock in America (the first one) and the rest of the world (the second one), and I highly recommend them.

Pearls Before Swine made some utterly gorgeous psychedelic folk, but Tom Rapp kind of sounds like he has a mouth full of marbles or badly-fitting braces, which I sometimes find very grating. This is most apparent on One Nation Underground.

13th Floors Elevators are pretty interesting, and have that distinctive "electric jug."

Silver Apples were one of the first bands to incorporate elements of electronic music into rock music, and sound at once definitively psychedelic rock and years ahead of their time.

Discussing krautrock would be a whole other post in itself, but in short late '60s-early '70s Germany is a goldmine for music on the more experimental side of psychedelic rock. I have to make special mention of Frumpy, because you wanted female vocalists, and Inga Rumpf may be one of my all-time favorite rock vocalists. Also check out ID Company, her project with Dagmar Krause (Slapp Happy, Henry Cow, Art Bears).

The Dukes of Stratosfear are XTC doing ridiculously good psychedelic pop pastiches and parodies. Even better when you're a connoisseur of the genre and can pick out all the various stylistic references to specific bands and songs.

Also really obvious, but I have to mention Pink Floyd as you didn't specifically mention them. Piper at the Gates of Dawn and A Saucerful of Secrets are absolutely essential psychedelic albums (critical opinion is pretty divided on Saucerful, but I consider it a criminally underrated album), as are Syd Barrett's solo albums, especially The Madcap Laughs.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 2, 2011

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I used to be a really big indie fan a couple of years ago but my tastes switched over to more mainstream pop last year. Well I just listened to a bunch of my old indie stuff and my love has been renewed. So now I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any new material that I might like?

My tastes run mostly to dark synthy sounds (The XX, Hurts) or electropop girl vocals (La Roux, Little Boots). Anyone able to help out?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Time Cowboy posted:

Modern but lesser-known psych bands worth mentioning:

The Heads - from the UK, the kings of heavier, "rawk" psych.
Telescopes

US bands:
Bardo Pond (female vocals, bonus get!)
Wooden Shjips
Apache Dropout
Dead Luke
Brightblack Morning Light (the most relaxing psych band I've ever heard)
Magic Lantern
The People's Temple
The Gris Gris (probably the best 13th Floor Elevators-inspired band ever. Defunct, sadly)
Cave
Human Eye (easily the weirdest band you'll find)

Australia:
ZOND

Japanese:
Marble Sheep
Up-Tight
Kawaguchi Masami's New Rock Syndicate

few from South America:
La Hell Gang
La Ira De Dios
The Psychedelic Schafferson Jetplane (contrary to the name, it's mostly Spacemen 3 worship)

and a shitload of various bands/projects releasing stuff on vinyls, CD-Rs, cassettes and digitally.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Time Cowboy posted:

If you dig Devendra Banhart, you should check out some of his most obvious influences (who also made good music unlike him): Caetano Veloso, Gilberto Gil, Nelson Angelo & Joyce, Lula Cortes & Ze Ramalho, Alceu Valenca & Geraldo Azevedo, Ney Matogrosso, Flaviola & O Bando do Sol...

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Thank you for all the awesome recommendations! It's a lot to sort through, but I'm happy with what I've heard so far!

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Does anyone know of a vocalist that is similar to Phil Anselmo from Pantera? Specifically like the Great Southern Trendkill title track.

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

Rarity posted:

I used to be a really big indie fan a couple of years ago but my tastes switched over to more mainstream pop last year. Well I just listened to a bunch of my old indie stuff and my love has been renewed. So now I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any new material that I might like?

My tastes run mostly to dark synthy sounds (The XX, Hurts) or electropop girl vocals (La Roux, Little Boots). Anyone able to help out?

Well, if you like Electropop, look into Alice in Videoland and Freezepop. A friend of mine actually got me into AiV awhile back.

Alice in Videoland - Lady Killer.

Freezepop - Brainpower.

Someone else you might be interested in, though she leans more towards poppy industrial (best I can really think to explain it) is Ayria.

Ayria - Bad List.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rarity posted:

You might enjoy YACHT. They only have one good album, but See Mystery Lights is really a lot of fun.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
I've recently fell in love with Pantera, namely Cowboys. They havn't done many CDs, and I only really seem to like two of them so far from what I've heard.

Anyone bands similar?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

bigperm posted:

Does anyone know of a vocalist that is similar to Phil Anselmo from Pantera? Specifically like the Great Southern Trendkill title track.
You'd probably have a boner for Peter Dolving from The Haunted (check their first and fourth albums out), but there's a ton of vocalists who sing in that style. What are you looking for in the rest of the music?

Ingram posted:

I've recently fell in love with Pantera, namely Cowboys. They havn't done many CDs, and I only really seem to like two of them so far from what I've heard.

Anyone bands similar?
Which CD was the other one you liked, Vulgar Display?

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"

Misogynist posted:

Which CD was the other one you liked, Vulgar Display?

Correct.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Misogynist posted:

You'd probably have a boner for Peter Dolving from The Haunted (check their first and fourth albums out), but there's a ton of vocalists who sing in that style. What are you looking for in the rest of the music?

The Haunted is perfect, exactly what I was looking for, thank you.

I've been looking up metal bands on youtube trying to get examples of what I like and don't like and it's apparent that I am way out of touch. Last time I listened to metal was in high school and most of it was 'nu'... so I have some catching up to do. Might just check out the metal thread.

For record though I love vocalists like Future Breed Maching [Meshuggah] but do not like December Flower [In Flames] but I can't really tell you why or what the difference is.

Also what the gently caress is this

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Ingram posted:

Correct.
My two favorite Pantera album are Vulgar and Great Southern Trendkill, so you might want to give that one a shot.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

How about some lo-fi,sloppy, three chord rock? Something like Cheap Time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9uR15dXCbQ

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hey guys, listening to Mike Patton's EP with The Dillinger Escape Plan at the moment and was wondering if he's done anything similar vocally, like really heavy, weird stuff. I've listened to Fantomas' Director's Cut and Delirium Cordia but that's about it.
Thanks!

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 4, 2011

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Douche Bag posted:

reminded me somewhat of The Intelligence, King Khan and Jay Reatard

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

Douche Bag posted:

Check out Wavves and Times New Viking

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Douche Bag posted:

The Mummies were the sloppiest band at the lowest of fis, maybe used four chords though.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Rarity posted:

You would like The Hundred In The Hands!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAfEvvnzlwQ

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Hey guys, listening to Mike Patton's EP with The Dillinger Escape Plan at the moment and was wondering if he's done anything similar vocally, like really heavy, weird stuff. I've listened to Fantomas' Director's Cut and Delirium Cordia but that's about it.
Thanks!

Tomahawk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSjd8U3RbzI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VTAj4yiKUc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIiXYqs6iGA

Mr. Bungle
from the album Mr. Bungle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRfpTwQ5Tsw (lyrics)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4uEoJSR0Fg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18wHoMOBPh4

from the album Disco Volante
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3r5vwlNyso
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIIulbxVHds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDG1FaN_Sj4

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

greazeball posted:

Tomahawk
etc...

Thanks!

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Hopefully not too vague a request, but I'm looking for some older music that evokes that kind of Amsterdam coffee shop vibe. Not quite stoner rock (not looking for Sabbath/Kyuss for example), but some good reggae recommendations (ex: where to start with Peter Tosh, Toots and the Maytals) as well as some good classic rock albums or songs in the style of The Doors "Light My Fire", Steppenwolf's "The Pusher" or anything off Green River by CCR.

Anything else that fits that same laid-back vibe is welcome too, such as old Jurassic 5, A Tribe Called Quest, RJD2...

I find it makes for great background music, whether studying for the GMATs or smoking up and playing FIFA with mates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

In this thread and its predecessors' long histories, that might be the single lamest request of all.