Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

SpookyLizard posted:

So luke blowing up the Death Star was essentially blind loving luck?

The thing that irritates me so loving much about the PT is that all of the opportunities that were missed (like showing Anakin's powerful connection to the force or his innate ability with star fighters by having him actually kick rear end in the cockpit, as opposed to randomly slapping buttons and poo poo. If Lucas was such a loving hooplehead the PT could've been just been so loving good.

That or it was R2 doing all the fuckin' work.

It's been said ~infinite times, but yeah, Anakin as a kid was a stupid idea and he should've been closer to Luke's age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
And retconning the Saga with the PT to be the Rise and Fall of Anakin Skywalker was loving terrible. gently caress you Lucas, Luke was the main character, not some whiny brat.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Beardless Riker posted:

That is a really neat series of articles though. None of us here can really enjoy the experience of seeing 'the entire' saga without knowing all that's going to happen or what it leads to. It's cool to get some insight from the perspective of some very young kids who had never seen the movies before and didn't realize stuff like Anakin, a character they really like and are invested in as a hero, goes full on evil (instead of just a dick) and becomes Darth Vader. I'm excited to read his next installment covering Jedi. Based on what I've read so far his kids are going to continue flipping their poo poo when Vader throws the emperor over the balcony, and they're probably going to be happy that the Anakin they know (Hayden) is redeemed in the end as a force ghost thing.

The writer chides the Plinkett and his fans (most of us, really) for overblowing the flaws of the prequels. Which isn't quite true, the prequels really are awful. But bad as they are, somehow they still have enough magic that even today they grab the imagination of kids like nothing else. I'll give the old goitered bat credit for that.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

At least it wasn't a 100+ page rebuttal.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Captain von Trapp posted:

The writer chides the Plinkett and his fans (most of us, really) for overblowing the flaws of the prequels. Which isn't quite true, the prequels really are awful. But bad as they are, somehow they still have enough magic that even today they grab the imagination of kids like nothing else. I'll give the old goitered bat credit for that.

Yeah I liked Plinkett's reviews I really do, but the bit about "You're making a film for children" *shot of political debate* always bugged me because kids still enjoy those movies for some reason. Maybe they tune them out and focus on the action but they seem to just really like it anyway. I liked stupid stuff as a kid, like Power Rangers, I don't feel I'm in the right to tell a kid they can't like something for being completely vapid.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
It's been too long since my last Anthony Daniels filmography Star Wars watchthrough, so I'm probably going to fix that starting this weekend. I usually watch both trilogies (even though there's obviously no trilogies and only the saga, thanks theforce.net) and the holiday special in chronological order, but I'm thinking I'll switch it up this time and watch them in production order. Also, I'll be more comprehensive this time.

- Episode IV: A New Hope, Theatrical
- Star Wars Holiday Special
- Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, Theatrical
- Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, Theatrical
- Ewok Adventure: Caravan of Courage
- Ewok Adventure: Battle for Endor
- Star Wars: Droids
- Star Wars: Ewoks
- The Great Heep
- Episode IV: A New Hope, 1997 Special Edition
- Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, 1997 Special Edition
- Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, 1997 Special Edition
- Episode I: The Phantom Menace
- Episode II: Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars: Clone Wars
- Episode IV: A New Hope, 2004 Special Edition
- Episode V: Empire Strikes Back, 2004 Special Edition
- Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, 2004 Special Edition
- Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars (film)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars (series)
- Episode IV: A New Hope, 2011 Blu-Ray edition
- Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, 2011 Blu-Ray edition
- Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, 2011 Blu-Ray edition

Am I missing anything? (Other than a life or the touch of a woman, obviously)

edit: Not as comprehensive as I could be, I guess. Added different OT versions.

edit 2: I'm a fuckup and listed the Holiday Special as "theatrical". Only in my dreams (and Jorge's worst nightmares).

Locutus of Bald fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 26, 2011

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If you're not already sick of these star wars, you will be.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

You should just watch the Original Trilogy and call it a day.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah I liked Plinkett's reviews I really do, but the bit about "You're making a film for children" *shot of political debate* always bugged me because kids still enjoy those movies for some reason. Maybe they tune them out and focus on the action but they seem to just really like it anyway. I liked stupid stuff as a kid, like Power Rangers, I don't feel I'm in the right to tell a kid they can't like something for being completely vapid.

They really are made for kids though. The bad guys are really bad, the good guys have a humanoid dog and a loving princess for cryin in the mud, Bobby. My daughter loves Jar Jar. I have said it before, I have failed as a parent. I have to deal with that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The original trilogy wasn't made for kids. It was made in a way that appealed to kids while, at the same time, entertaining adults, too.

Jason Segel was on a morning show today talking about his new Muppet movie, and how good family movies appeal to everyone. The example he used was Toy Story 3 and how, if you're a kid, it's about losing your toys while, if you're an adult, it's about losing your kids.

The original trilogy, while not high art, worked on that level. There were elements for everyone. The prequels, on the other hand, are showing themselves to have lasting appeal only for young children and rabid fans.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Phylodox posted:

The original trilogy wasn't made for kids. It was made in a way that appealed to kids while, at the same time, entertaining adults, too.

Jason Segel was on a morning show today talking about his new Muppet movie, and how good family movies appeal to everyone. The example he used was Toy Story 3 and how, if you're a kid, it's about losing your toys while, if you're an adult, it's about losing your kids.

The original trilogy, while not high art, worked on that level. There were elements for everyone. The prequels, on the other hand, are showing themselves to have lasting appeal only for young children and rabid fans.

Very good point. I wonder however, how much my nostalgia plays into my perceptions...

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

What is the consensus on The Force.net forums on the PT?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What is the consensus on The Force.net forums on the PT?

No gays, perfect 10/10!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

They probably use the words "the saga" a lot don't they?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

SeanBeansShako posted:

No gays, perfect 10/10!

This is creepily true. I used to hang out on TFN more years ago than I care to think about, then eventually lost interest. Dropped by earlier this year to check up on nostalgia... wow. Didn't last too long.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Locutus of Bald posted:

It's been too long since my last Anthony Daniels filmography Star Wars watchthrough, so I'm probably going to fix that starting this weekend. I usually watch both trilogies (even though there's obviously no trilogies and only the saga, thanks theforce.net) and the holiday special in chronological order, but I'm thinking I'll switch it up this time and watch them in production order. Also, I'll be more comprehensive this time.

This is a terrible decision (all of it).

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Anyone know what the hell this is? The tiny little photos all look like screenshots from an RTS or something.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Star-Wars-Legacy-of-the-Empire/185961101483030

E: Scrolled farther down the wall. What the hell kind of medium to share your post-trilogy narrative is a Facebook page? Never underestimate the power of the dork side.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Speaking of the dork side, anyone got the Darth Vader Star Destroyer transformers toy?

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
I feel like I have to admit a few things.
The first is this: I have never seen the original version of the OT, all I've ever seen is the '97 SE. I was 6 when the SE came out, and I saw ANH in theaters. We then got the boxed set of the VHS, and I remember as a kid that I liked Empire the least, especially the at-the-time "boring bits on Dagobah" as I thought of them at the time. Ahh youth. Then TPM came out when I was 8, and I love that poo poo, and here's were the second confession comes in.
I liked Jar-Jar Binks. I thought he was funny, and when we got the wizards of the Coast Star Wars RPG (My brother and I already played D&D, so it was a natural progression to a Star Wars RPG using much the same rule system) I made a Gungan character (who in my defense was based more on Captain Tarpals then Jar-Jar. I even did the voice, god help me.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that iff you're kids or younger relatives like the PT better then the OT, don't worry. Let them enjoy Star Wars in their own way. As they mature, they'll grow to appreciate the more mature parts of Star Wars as well.

Also, the X-Wing books are the best. My middle school library had the first 5 in the series, and even then I liked Wraith Squadron the best. I really need to get the Stackpole books though, I haven't read then in years.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

What's interesting to me about the Jar-Jar and kids thing is that it was the exact opposite of what I experienced. I was teaching at an elementary school when TPM came out, and being a SW geek, I paid attention to what paraphernalia the kids were buying. I swear, I saw ONE Jar-Jar bit of merchandise in the entire school, and it was like a first grader (backpack IIRC).

The vast majority of stuff I saw was Darth Maul and Obi-Wan, with a smattering of Anakin among the younger kids. I even did an informal poll of the kids in my class and only one kid (a girl) said she liked Jar-Jar and she got razzed for it. :)

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
Now that I think some more about it, I think it would be more accurate to say that I liked Gungans in general. And I also liked Obi-Wan and Darth Maul.

Gustavus
May 27, 2008

Lock up your sons and daughters.

arioch posted:

Speaking of the dork side, anyone got the Darth Vader Star Destroyer transformers toy?

Oh my god, I'd forgotten about that. I wanted it so bad.
Screw growing up poor.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

What's interesting to me about the Jar-Jar and kids thing is that it was the exact opposite of what I experienced. I was teaching at an elementary school when TPM came out, and being a SW geek, I paid attention to what paraphernalia the kids were buying. I swear, I saw ONE Jar-Jar bit of merchandise in the entire school, and it was like a first grader (backpack IIRC).

The vast majority of stuff I saw was Darth Maul and Obi-Wan, with a smattering of Anakin among the younger kids. I even did an informal poll of the kids in my class and only one kid (a girl) said she liked Jar-Jar and she got razzed for it. :)

When TPM hit all of my nerdy friends went 90 miles to the nearest theatre to see it opening weekend and for about a week they all thought Jar-Jar was genuinely funny. I think it was mostly because there was retarded amounts of hype for the film and we got a new Star Wars movie after 20+ years. I even thought Episode One was cool when I was 14.

But the prequels don't have any staying power. I watched Empire yesterday because I was bored and had a few hours. I don't think I've seen The Phantom Menace all the way through for at least 10 years. I've tried. I've seen it on movie channels or my buddy's dvd collection and I pop it on, but after about 20 minutes I turn it off.

New Star Wars stuff does really make it seem like Guinness talked Lucas into making nothing but flashy stuff for kids after the first generation of fans turned into utter dorks. We rag on ol' Jorge but he's saving our children.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I liked Jar Jar, I was also 10.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
I was the age the movies were targeted at when they came out, and I remember loving TPM, and Attack of the Clones as a young kid.

Star Wars was one of the reasons I got into film and storytelling, and is certainly a passion while pursuing a career in animation right now.

I recently returned to the prequels for Nostalgia's sake, and here' what hit me: I loved Darth Maul. I loved his lightsaber and those kicks he does and his flamboyantly gay dance/fight routine. It was awesome. I especially loved it when Qui-Gon dies. Action! Besides that, I had no idea what the gently caress was going on in those movies. Like, I would go "Oh boy, lasers" then turn off for 25 minutes, then "Oh, pod-racing!"

I enjoyed the movie, but probably like 15% of it.

Attack of the Clones had more action so I liked it a lot more, but still had no idea what was supposed to be happening.

You guys are right, these movies are enjoyed by kids, but all the people my age have grown out of them for sure, and now return to the OT. Kids nowadays may love Jar-Jar and the prequels, but what did we love when we were kids? Some pretty stupid poo poo. We might admit we enjoyed it, but we can all look bad and admit it was stupid. The movies will continue to be loved by kids and continue to have those kids grow out of them and move on. In a way, since the kids are still enjoying the original Star Wars eventually, I guess we can't complain.

I'm still glad my original experience was the original "Star Wars" on VHS at my uncle's house in Vermont. No special editions, no bullshit. Just me and my dad. Makes me tear up.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I was 18 when TPM came out. I had gotten ahold of the comic to the movie ahead of time when Walmart broke the street date and put them out by mistake. I read the comic before I saw the movie and knew something was wrong. I didn't tell my brother how awful it seemed because he is a huge Star Wars fan and I didn't want to ruin it for him. I also hoped the comic wasn't really a good version of movie and that the movie would be better.

The second the movie began, and the jedi ship docked with the donut and the Jedi's entered a room at a flat angle to have some tea I knew something was terrible wrong and the movie was going to be awful.

EDIT: to resolve mixed signals.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 28, 2011

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The second the movie began, and the jedi ship docked with the donut and the Jedi's entered a room at a flat angle to have some tea I knew something was terrible wrong and the movie was going to be awful.

I thought you knew it when you read the comic. I am getting mixed signals here.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Gustavus posted:

Oh my god, I'd forgotten about that. I wanted it so bad.
Screw growing up poor.

You're probably thinking of the Darth Vader Death Star one. Apparently they just put out a Star Destroyer version.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

arioch posted:

You're probably thinking of the Darth Vader Death Star one. Apparently they just put out a Star Destroyer version.

Now that I have stupid amounts of dispoable income, I want to buy the super collectors' editions of Lego Star Wars that I always wanted as a kid. If I recall correctly, there were 1000pc.+ X-Wing, TIE Fighter and possibly Star Destroyer as well.

Gonna hit eBay now...

e: wow the Lego 7191 set bounces between $200-$500, and it's loving $1300 on Amazon brand-new :laffo:

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Just finished watching the theatrical ANH and I have to know, the story about the guy whose job it was to press the button to blow up Yavin IV growing a conscience, muttering something along the lines of "Now I am become death, destroyer of worlds" or something, which gave Luke just enough time to blow up the Death Star, is that canon? Also, what's that guy's name?

Also gently caress you Chewbacca, you're not people, you don't get a medal. :colbert:

Well, onward to the Holiday Special. I'm watching with Rifftrax, obviously. I literally can't imagine doing so without riffs and I already have to suffer through the Droids and Ewoks animated series.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Holiday Special has Rifftrax? I need to get that some booze and then once more into the fray!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Locutus of Bald posted:

Just finished watching the theatrical ANH and I have to know, the story about the guy whose job it was to press the button to blow up Yavin IV growing a conscience, muttering something along the lines of "Now I am become death, destroyer of worlds" or something, which gave Luke just enough time to blow up the Death Star, is that canon? Also, what's that guy's name?

Yes, it's from the Death Star novel.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tenn_Graneet

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Dawn_of_the_Jedi

Really? What's to seperate this from generic fantasy story #28?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Nckdictator posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Dawn_of_the_Jedi

Really? What's to seperate this from generic fantasy story #28?

It says "Star Wars", not "Forgotten Realms".

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

This is so stupid. I followed the links to the "Battle of Despayre" and the shoehorned in Trade Federation battleship was carrying 500 X-Wings, really? That took on 1100 TIE fighters? I guess it's a pretty cool epic battle, but still, that's an incredible amount of military men and material to throw into a book.

I guess I need to read Death Star though, to see what other craziness happened before it went boom.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
I hope I don't offend everybody here when I state how much I'm not enjoying Caravan of Courage right now. I'm about 15 minutes in and I absolutely hate this boy actor (I hate him even more because I know I'm going to be rooting for his death, but this is a kid's movie with Ewoks, so it's all going to be false hope).

Also, Jorge why do you hate subtitles?

Powered Descent posted:

drat you, Star Wars. Why can't I misremember something spergy about the EU for once?

edit: I take it all back. That Ewok who threw an ax into the handle of another ax owns hard.

edit 2: Just started Battle for Endor and holy poo poo that girl is an orphan what the gently caress kind of a kid's movie is this

Locutus of Bald fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 30, 2011

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The best thing that Death Star did was canonize Daala being a retard.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
Is anyone else reading the new Heir to the empire?

What do you think?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Powered Descent posted:

I have to disagree with the haters here. As fanfiction/retcons/insertions go, this one actually fleshes out a character and an event without actively ruining or changing it. Making the empire and its men to be somewhat multi-faceted than a faceless blob of eeeeeeeeeeeeevil is definitely more interesting than, say, another Darth Badguy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Wait, if Wicket can speak Basic in Battle for Endor, which takes place prior to RotJ, why can't he talk to Leia? Or does his ability to speak limited Galactic Basic only apply when he's around Cindel?

edit: Oh, thanks Wikipedia. Apparently they weren't actually speaking Basic, it was just translated to English for the film.

Locutus of Bald fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Oct 30, 2011