Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Sauce posted:

Dammit, just twigged this is a Stanford experiment clone - Derren you hack!

Kin posted:

Exactly, on top of this is was a perhaps a bit of commentary on gameshows (like x-factor and big brother) in general and how they instil the exact thing that Derren was trying to prove.
Derren mentions both of these points in a short follow-up video on the Channel 4 site, where he also says that yes, the gameshow setting was heavily geared towards drawing out the type of behaviour shown and that they wouldn't necessarily behave that way in the real world.

Also I don't get what the imaginary-coinflip A or B thing right at the start had to do with anything at all but it was pretty cool and it's nice to see the return of mentalism jiggery-pokery!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
I thought the experiment this week was a bit wanky but I do feel like a bit of an idiot for not seeing the end come from right from the start. It was interesting that I was moaning about the audience about half way through, as an individual I didn't want him to get arrested, partly because I thought he'd had enough but also because more annoying things could happen to him over the night, if I were in the situation once I get arrested and I lose my job in a weird phonecall where my colleague isn't even crying- I'd think something was up. (but you could say that's not really the point of the program but we were watching it for like 40 mins)
Also don't they fire people on fridays usually?

It was a laugh and it was nice to see the audience looking like dickheads when they took their masks off. But the last one was better and hopefully next week's will be.

Just caught Would I Lie to You on iplayer and I think it's been the best BBC comedy gameshow for a while now, this week's is great - Dara O'Brien, Sue Perkins, Barry Cryer and Lorraine Kelly. Brilliant combination of panelists and Mitchell, Mack and Brydon are magic anyway.

Edit: Why haven't they copied this in America? there's points and best liars of the week, they'd love it.

WaffleACAB fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 28, 2011

Sauce
Jul 5, 2010

Some Strange Flea posted:

Derren mentions both of these points in a short follow-up video on the Channel 4 site,

Cool, I guess the fact that it took me time to sit down and think about what was just on instead of just loving KNOWING has shown me the great gulf between knowledge and understanding.

I called him a hack earlier, bit harsh, even though over 60 years old this stuff needs to be shown to each generation. Also loved the A,B bit - but that's gotta be rigged for safety/psychotic behaviour.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Some Strange Flea posted:

Also I don't get what the imaginary-coinflip A or B thing right at the start had to do with anything at all but it was pretty cool and it's nice to see the return of mentalism jiggery-pokery!

I think it was something along the lines of the earlier he stuff he did with Simon Pegg where he got him to ask for a BMX. Somehow he was subtly influencing the guy to pick A or B, presumably in a way that was similar to how he got the audience to chose bad over good.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Are Adam and Joe ever going to come back properly? Their newest replacements don't even seem to be making any effort at all. I miss joyful, laugh-filled early Saturday mornings :(

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It's a bit of a diversion, but can I just say Joe did a cracking job with Attack the Block....

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I hate Darren Brown. I find him an insufferable oval office who is neither a particularly clever illusionist, nor a successful psychologist. He degrades the faculty of psychology into cheap TV sitcoms that teach the viewing audience nothing. His experimental methods are always fundamentally biased so that he never runs into trouble. Effectively he relies on very old tried and tested formulas to go "Hey look kids at how amazing I am fooling you!"

His "experiment" last night was entirely weak, but then again I'm quite sure that A: the audience were in on it, B: the person was in on it and C: the experiment was done months ago. If that ever happened to me without prior knowledge I would spend the rest of my time systematically destroying both Darren and the producers. It's because of this I'm quite sure absolutely none of it is real.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

Pablo Bluth posted:

It's a bit of a diversion, but can I just say Joe did a cracking job with Attack the Block....

I thought it was kinda middling. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't great. And I think there were rumblings that they were supposed to be coming back in February. Not sure where I heard that though.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

WMain00 posted:

If that ever happened to me without prior knowledge I would spend the rest of my time systematically destroying both Darren and the producers.

For the unnecessary amount of bile you have towards this harmless TV entertainer one would assume he'd already had your house smashed up.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

Leyburn posted:

Are Adam and Joe ever going to come back properly? Their newest replacements don't even seem to be making any effort at all. I miss joyful, laugh-filled early Saturday mornings :(
I think so but not soon. No Christmas special either this year.
BUG with Buckules was as good as ever in Manchester and he's doing many more cities now.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun

Daius posted:

For the unnecessary amount of bile you have towards this harmless TV entertainer one would assume he'd already had your house smashed up.

It's that guy he put into a haunted house with all the zombies. He has grown bitter.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Daius posted:

He kicked my dog dammit!

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Whether or not the person was in on it is kind of irrelevant. I dunno why you think the audience were in on it though. It's not a new experiment and has been conducted with similar results in the past.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Daius posted:

He's actually part of the first experiment. Derren has programmed Wafflecop to attempt to assassinate him, only when he pulls the trigger he'll realise he's actually holding a banana. Then Derren will de-programme him and all will be right in the world.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I like him, but my only gripe with him is that he wins his viewers in by talking about how he doesn't believe in magic, that its all psychology and illusion, then continues to expound the reality of stuff like hypnotism to an audience which now trusts what he says to be on sound scientific footing.

I totally get that this is the most essential part of his act because he gains people's trust in such a way as they credit him with an explanation for the trick he has performed which is far more impressive than the simple stage-magic hoodwinking that he more likely uses, like everyone else in his line of work. At the end of the day he's still a magician so I don't begrudge him success in tricking people, even on some meta level, but I do object to him abusing the position of authority he creates to keep dumb people thinking that people can be hypnotised or forced into buying poo poo just because he slips in related words throughout a sentence.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jimmy Savile has died.

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16099015

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Derren Brown, Matt Berry and Terry Wogan all talking at once. Bliss.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
So it turns out Barry from Eastenders is a bit of a quiz fiend - who knew?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just caught up with last night's Derren Brown. I agree that it was kinda weak and the choices weren't really equal. I also suspect that the 'smash the TV' idea was first shouted out by a producer to get the audience worked up, because it's just too convenient that they had a replacement TV available.

I've also spent today watching the rest of Fresh Meat. You guys were right, it did pick up after the first two episodes. It's weird how the worst 3 characters in those episodes have become the best 3 characters.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

marktheando posted:

Jimmy Savile has died.

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16099015

nur-ur-hur-rur-ur-ruh-ruh-RIP.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 23, 2013

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
As an American that loves UK panel shows I was wondering if there are any good ones that I'm missing out on. This kind of program doesn't really exist here in the US outside of something like Real Time with Bill Maher which is all news and politics.

None of them are set up in a fake game show way with different rounds.

So far I've seen QI, HIGNFY, Mock the Week, Would I Lie to You, 8 out of 10 cats, Nevermind the Buzzcocks, and even Celebrity Juice because I find the character of Keith Lemon hilariously stupid. Am I missing out on anything?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Try You Have Been Watching, with Charlie Brooker.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Brown Moses posted:

Try You Have Been Watching, with Charlie Brooker.

Good call, I'm watching an episode now and never heard of it. The one that covers television here is called Chelsea Lately but it's horrible and not witty at all.

I like Brooker and David Mitchell and Victor Coren are on the one I checked out so I'm looking forward to sardonic wit from all of them. Thanks.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Might be hard to find since its over a year old, but The Bubble was good if you like Mitchell. Show And Tell is also quite fun though not really a panel show.

Also, Shooting Stars.

ScipioAfro
Feb 21, 2011
All of The Bubble was put on youtube under a different name, sphere of air? Something like that.

e- Globe of air. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Miuc9UhTTHs&feature=BFa&list=PL21EF3F8D20DA199C&lf=results_main

ScipioAfro fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 29, 2011

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Also Ask Rhod Gilbert and We Need Answers, though we're kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel for quizy/panel shows.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Fatty posted:

Also Ask Rhod Gilbert and We Need Answers, though we're kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel for quizy/panel shows.

We Need Answers is great, something about the Watson/Key/Horne dynamic that has me in absolute stitches. Also check out their web exclusive thingy No More Women, and then teach your friends how to play for passing time on long journeys. It's brilliant.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/show/p004nwcb/no_more_women/

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Only just watched the latest Buzzcocks. Adam Buxton should be the permanent presenter really.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The Impression show.

Is it just me or are the impressions a bit poo poo?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Fatty posted:

Might be hard to find since its over a year old, but The Bubble was good if you like Mitchell. Show And Tell is also quite fun though not really a panel show.

Also, Shooting Stars.

Everyone who enjoys anything should watch the second episode of The Bubble. Ed Byrne playing Modern Warefare 2, while Germaine Greer knits and calls him out for dying too much.

The Bubble needs to scrap the quiz element, and just lock comedians in a house for a week. It's fantastic.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

goatface posted:

The Impression show.

Is it just me or are the impressions a bit poo poo?

It's not just you. The people working on the show have realised it too - they front every sketch with "Hello I'm John from Popular Culture" in order to make sure everyone's up to speed. Frankly the impressions aren't the worst bit. The writing is dross, dull and poor. They come up with a terrible joke that they then have to stretch out over the course of 3 minutes. It's like family guy but without the potential that it's being done ironically.

Basically: If they were told to make 2 episodes in a series rather than the 12 they have to do at the moment you'd have better impressions (less characters means more time for the actors to practice them) and better, funnier content (writing 12 episodes means you need to put in a lot of unfunny, annoying padding)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Why isn't there a Panel Show about History yet? the Horrible History TV series (opening aside) was pretty cool.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
History topics come up on QI quite a lot so it's not really that necessary.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.

Captain Mediocre posted:

I like him, but my only gripe with him is that he wins his viewers in by talking about how he doesn't believe in magic, that its all psychology and illusion, then continues to expound the reality of stuff like hypnotism to an audience which now trusts what he says to be on sound scientific footing.

I totally get that this is the most essential part of his act because he gains people's trust in such a way as they credit him with an explanation for the trick he has performed which is far more impressive than the simple stage-magic hoodwinking that he more likely uses, like everyone else in his line of work. At the end of the day he's still a magician so I don't begrudge him success in tricking people, even on some meta level, but I do object to him abusing the position of authority he creates to keep dumb people thinking that people can be hypnotised or forced into buying poo poo just because he slips in related words throughout a sentence.

You do know hypnosis is actually genuine? Maybe you can't make someone assassinate Stephen Fry but the kind of hypnosis Derren does is real, even if a lot of it is the subject 'playing along'. Things like the imaginary coin toss, too, most people would pick a certain predictable pattern, ie with 100 people you'd probably never get any one to go AAA or BBB. The one thing that put me off the first episode was when he did a polygraph test, since everyone but Jeremy Kyle realises they're complete pseudo-science.

He is a magician though so when he gets someone to stamp on 49 paper cups and the 50th has a spike under it, he probably hasn't actually guessed that entire sequence and there's a really basic explanation instead.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Lord of Sword posted:

You do know hypnosis is actually genuine? Maybe you can't make someone assassinate Stephen Fry but the kind of hypnosis Derren does is real, even if a lot of it is the subject 'playing along'. Things like the imaginary coin toss, too, most people would pick a certain predictable pattern, ie with 100 people you'd probably never get any one to go AAA or BBB. The one thing that put me off the first episode was when he did a polygraph test, since everyone but Jeremy Kyle realises they're complete pseudo-science.

He is a magician though so when he gets someone to stamp on 49 paper cups and the 50th has a spike under it, he probably hasn't actually guessed that entire sequence and there's a really basic explanation instead.

I don't want to deviate from the spirit of the thread too much so I'll be brief. Sure 'hypnosis' exists in the sense that willing subjects can be encouraged to do stuff they normally wouldn't do because of the environment created for them. But the way Derren performs and presents it on his TV shows is so utterly far removed from any of the 'real hypnosis' (still pains me to call it that) that you would find being practiced for legitimate therapeutic purposes or whatever. If you really wanted to call what he does hypnosis you would have to radically alter the meaning of the term beyond what it is commonly understood to mean. The idea of someone being put under a spell, even when phrased in less loaded terms, is simply nonsense.

Having said all that I love his shows and watch them every time they're on so I'm not really opposed to him or anything. Also really looking forward to the next one where he's going to try to get someone to confess to a murder they didn't perform. If done correctly, it could demonstrate an incredibly important point.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Why isn't there a Panel Show about History yet? the Horrible History TV series (opening aside) was pretty cool.

I really hope they do another Horrible History with Stephen Fry.

...I feel ashamed having all the kid's versions of Horrible History on my computer. But it's just so good. I wish they'd take some of the funnier yet darker moment in history and make a few new sketches in the Fry version though, ones that they couldn't do in the kid's version, it's a bit tiresome watching the same sketches twice. Although I suppose they count on grown adults not watching a kid's show.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
They do have the League of Gentlemen doing some sketches for the next series, which should be great.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

SymfonyMan posted:

As an American that loves UK panel shows I was wondering if there are any good ones that I'm missing out on. This kind of program doesn't really exist here in the US outside of something like Real Time with Bill Maher which is all news and politics.

None of them are set up in a fake game show way with different rounds.

So far I've seen QI, HIGNFY, Mock the Week, Would I Lie to You, 8 out of 10 cats, Nevermind the Buzzcocks, and even Celebrity Juice because I find the character of Keith Lemon hilariously stupid. Am I missing out on anything?

If you're okay with Radio, I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
A Question of Sport, and They Think It's All Over.

Don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Kerbtree posted:

If you're okay with Radio, I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue.

If we're going with radio panel shows then you can't miss So Wrong It's Right - hosted by Charlie Brooker and with many of the usual panel show guests. Its all on youtube.