Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Bondematt posted:

Jesus Christ are people really this bad? I stop when I see a fender bender cause who knows? The person could be having a heart attacking causing the drat accident.

Yes, people are that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

redscare posted:

Yes, people are that bad.

I think most people just assume somebody else will do something about it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

SlightlyMadman posted:

Ding ding:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

It's a pretty well studied sociological effect. Interestingly enough, awareness of the effect is usually enough to stop people from falling victim to it.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

SlightlyMadman posted:

You and everyone else.

edit: i need sleep.

karms fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 27, 2011

pmugowsky
Oct 4, 2008
A couple of months ago, I was riding home on my moped when I almost hit a dude who was lying in the street in dark clothing. I stopped and got him off of the road, and flagged down someone to help me interpret on account of my poor Spanish. While I was looping back to him, several people literally swerved around him and kept going. Apparently he had been there long enough for someone to have called 911 already, so the ambulance came pretty quickly. Seriously, though, dude was just lying in the street, crying and unable to get up, and some fucker called 911 and went home thinking he had done his part.

Glad to hear that the majority opinion here is that the appropriate response to that kind of situation is to stop and help. :unsmith: Maybe I'm just a bleeding-heart, but my faith in humanity was knocked down a peg or two that night. Guess people had places to go at 21:00 on a Tuesday.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
As motorcyclist I think we are more inclined to stop because we don't have (what I call) the 'TV effect' of seeing poo poo through little glass windows from an air conditioned 'sofa' with seat belts. It's also so much easier to hop off a bike and run over to someone, and a bike is easy to stop well out of the way of traffic. That said, I once stopped my bike in the middle of the road and held up the traffic while I herded 8 or 9 little ducklings down the road to the garden where their mother was freaking out. :3:

EDIT: a few of the people behind me scowled at me when they passed, but a couple of people gave me a thumbs up or shouted a 'good job', so humanity isn't totally hosed, I guess.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr

pmugowsky posted:

A couple of months ago, I was riding home on my moped when I almost hit a dude who was lying in the street in dark clothing. I stopped and got him off of the road, and flagged down someone to help me interpret on account of my poor Spanish. While I was looping back to him, several people literally swerved around him and kept going. Apparently he had been there long enough for someone to have called 911 already, so the ambulance came pretty quickly. Seriously, though, dude was just lying in the street, crying and unable to get up, and some fucker called 911 and went home thinking he had done his part.

Glad to hear that the majority opinion here is that the appropriate response to that kind of situation is to stop and help. :unsmith: Maybe I'm just a bleeding-heart, but my faith in humanity was knocked down a peg or two that night. Guess people had places to go at 21:00 on a Tuesday.

Recently some shady fucks were laying a trap like that for military folk on the road leading towards base. They would leave a dummy on the side of the road waiting for someone to stop and get out to "help" and then hopefully jump them. Of course with our military bases in only the best communities, no one was going to get out for some meth-head and it was probably an hour before someone driving into the gate even mentioned something to the guards.

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009

AkrisD posted:

Recently some shady fucks were laying a trap like that for military folk on the road leading towards base. They would leave a dummy on the side of the road waiting for someone to stop and get out to "help" and then hopefully jump them. Of course with our military bases in only the best communities, no one was going to get out for some meth-head and it was probably an hour before someone driving into the gate even mentioned something to the guards.

A gang around here was doing something like this as well. They would leave a baby doll in a baby car seat or stroller near the side of the road and would hide next to it. When a person pulled over (usually a woman) to check on the baby, they got raped or killed as a gang initiation.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Whiteboy posted:

A gang around here was doing something like this as well. They would leave a baby doll in a baby car seat or stroller near the side of the road and would hide next to it. When a person pulled over (usually a woman) to check on the baby, they got raped or killed as a gang initiation.

Dude there's a gang around here who will flash their headlights at you, and if you flash back they'll track you down and put spider eggs inside your face, then the spider eggs hatch out of your face unless you forward this email within 72 hours!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
In our crash anecdotes, I can echo that when I just recently layer dan'd, 3 people went past without helping(rural area); one of them passed when I was picking the bike up and struggling a bit. Forgot to hold the front brake and all that.

On the other hand, every loving time I stop to take a picture for that dead picture thread, EVERYONE stops.

"Are you okay!??!?!?"

*Me, standing back framing a shot of my bike, camera in hand, picturesque scene in the background*

"Yes....thank you though"

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

SlightlyMadman posted:

Dude there's a gang around here who will flash their headlights at you, and if you flash back they'll track you down and put spider eggs inside your face, then the spider eggs hatch out of your face unless you forward this email within 72 hours!

And I've heard down in Australia the Abbos will purposefully jump out in front of you to kill themselves because then you have to pay their money family or they can kill you back!!!!

Lol when did this thread turn into bullshit scare mongering wives' tales.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Whiteboy posted:

sweet username/post combo

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
Was my post that stupid? It was a legitimate thing that was in the papers and the sheriffs went around passing out fliers because of it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Whiteboy posted:

Was my post that stupid? It was a legitimate thing that was in the papers and the sheriffs went around passing out fliers because of it.

Kinda, not really.
http://www.snopes.com/crime/gangs/carseat.asp

Sometimes it's pretty easy to spook the police/local news.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Whiteboy posted:

Sorry to take the piss, I've fallen for plenty of urban legends in my day; we all have. They get around because they're effective.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
Got rear ended at a red light going into LA tonight. Lots of lower back and neck pain, getting checked out tomorrow at my hospital. I'm seriously worried what they might find as it hurts too bad to stand up or even change positions right now.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Hopefully you're just sore and it will subside. What was the reason given for the crash, if you were told?

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
Yeah, the red light was in the middle of a blind right corner. I knew it was there so I always go slow through the section but this kid was from out of town for a costume party and didn't. Flew through the turn and ended up slamming into me around 40.

When it happened I thought my riding buddy behind me had slammed into me. I don't really know what happened. I just felt warm and weightless for what felt like an eternity then I was on the ground. Apparently I got flipped upside down and above this guys roof and landed on my back onto his hood and slid off into the street.

No cuts, my back is all bruised up. As far as gear goes it's all aces minus the helmet. Dianese jacket, back protector(didn't do poo poo), overpants, boots, gloves, all OK. Not a scratch on any of them except the left arm on the jacket(not noticeable unless you're looking).
Helmet was an RF1100 and this is the second time that model has saved my life. The visor snapped off and broke the mounting plate, and the chin bar actually has a huge crack straight down the left side of it all the way through.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

Probably Hates You posted:

back protector(didn't do poo poo)

How do you know that? You might have been a lot worse off without it. They're designed to absorb energy from impacts like the one you had.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Unfortunately, back protectors can't really stop compression or hyper extension injuries. With that sort of hit to the helmet, I bet you have some pretty serious whiplash. I'm with 42 though...if you've got bruises on your back it probably helped dissipate the force from potential internal injuries to bruises.

Hopefully you're just sore...let us know how things turn out.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 29, 2011

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
gently caress man not remembering what happened plus a hosed up helmet, that's some scary poo poo. :(

Let us know how the back stuff develops, ok?

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
Definitely. I was supposed to go to the hospital today and see my regular doctor but he's out untill Monday so I won't know anything untill then. I definitely have whiplash, back and neck are a bit worse now that the adrenaline isn't flowing any more. My friends have started to refer to me as "Speed Bump" because that's 2 people in 5 months that have blown a stop sign or red light and hit me. All the trauma seems to by physical though thank god. No long or short term memory loss, not mixing up words, or anything like that.

I'm probably done with bikes but we'll see how things pan out. I've made more friends and friends I consider family since I started riding then I've had my whole life but I'm coming to the realization that it might be a short one if things keep playing out like they have.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Definitely. I was supposed to go to the hospital today and see my regular doctor but he's out untill Monday so I won't know anything untill then. I definitely have whiplash, back and neck are a bit worse now that the adrenaline isn't flowing any more. My friends have started to refer to me as "Speed Bump" because that's 2 people in 5 months that have blown a stop sign or red light and hit me. All the trauma seems to by physical though thank god. No long or short term memory loss, not mixing up words, or anything like that.

I'm probably done with bikes but we'll see how things pan out. I've made more friends and friends I consider family since I started riding then I've had my whole life but I'm coming to the realization that it might be a short one if things keep playing out like they have.

Might be worthwhile switching to offroad or track only riding if the street just seems too dangerous :)

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
I've already thought about that and I've come to the only insane conclusion.

Supermoto... :hellyeah:

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

I've already thought about that and I've come to the only insane conclusion.

Supermoto... :hellyeah:

Didn't you just buy that red/black gsx-r 1000 like a month ago? :((

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
You could also try watching your mirrors <3

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Yeah, the red light was in the middle of a blind right corner. I knew it was there so I always go slow through the section but this kid was from out of town for a costume party and didn't. Flew through the turn and ended up slamming into me around 40.

When it happened I thought my riding buddy behind me had slammed into me. I don't really know what happened. I just felt warm and weightless for what felt like an eternity then I was on the ground. Apparently I got flipped upside down and above this guys roof and landed on my back onto his hood and slid off into the street.

No cuts, my back is all bruised up. As far as gear goes it's all aces minus the helmet. Dianese jacket, back protector(didn't do poo poo), overpants, boots, gloves, all OK. Not a scratch on any of them except the left arm on the jacket(not noticeable unless you're looking).
Helmet was an RF1100 and this is the second time that model has saved my life. The visor snapped off and broke the mounting plate, and the chin bar actually has a huge crack straight down the left side of it all the way through.

You didn't go to the hospital? Any time you get hit in the head you really really really should go to the ER and get a CT scan.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Holy Crap, Probably Hates You. I am VERY glad you finally got a jacket to wear again. Let me know how you are when you speak with your doctor.

As for your bike...it was a brief, but sexy steed.
I'll never forget our journey midstate together.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
So I went to the hospital earlier today and got some pretty good news. No slipped discs or anything of the sort. Have a couple pulled muscles in my neck and 2 fractured vertebra but the breaks aren't serious at all. Doctor told me that I should be alright in about 6 weeks.
I finally really came out of shock this morning and was able to think clearly about everything. I think I'm done with street riding in general, I'll always have a bike around either for track or dirt but no more street bikes.

infraboy posted:

Didn't you just buy that red/black gsx-r 1000 like a month ago?

Yeah. I just had one of those "gently caress yeah, motorcycles" grins on my face earlier that day when I got on. Might have only been mine from a month or so but it went out loved. I may be done with street but not motorcycles. No matter how many I have I'll never forget that gixxer. Amazingly fun bike.

Drifter posted:

Holy Crap, Probably Hates You. I am VERY glad you finally got a jacket to wear again. Let me know how you are when you speak with your doctor.

As for your bike...it was a brief, but sexy steed.
I'll never forget our journey midstate together.

Absolutely awesome. You still have to grab your jacket from me so maybe when you come down we'll grab a beer or something. I'll always remember that freezing cold road trip down to SB so we could pick up your bike. Hopefully sometime in the near future we can do some track days, that would be a freakin blast.

EDIT: Just heard back from insurance. I had liability, his insurance lapsed and he didn't have coverage when he hit me.

BaKESAL3 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 31, 2011

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

EDIT: Just heard back from insurance. I had liability, his insurance lapsed and he didn't have coverage when he hit me.

I usually don't say this but... lawsuit. Did the cops arrest him when he failed to produce valid insurance?

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010

schreibs posted:

I usually don't say this but... lawsuit. Did the cops arrest him when he failed to produce valid insurance?

Yeah, it looks like that's what I'm going to have to do. I was praying to loving god I didn't have to but it looks like I don't have a choice now. I'm not sure if he was arrested, probably not. I was whisked away before the cops arrived so I'm not sure about anything that happened after that.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Guess it was my turn...

Hit a deer @ approx 70mph while two up with the wife onboard about an hour and a half ago. The ST1300 is demolished, pics coming in a bit. We're both sitting in a Whataburger waiting for our parents and their trailer to arrive (we were heading to their house, and were about an hour away when this happened).

Our gear is pretty well hosed - both HJC modulars stayed intact but have pretty bad rash, pants on us both are shredded, our jackets are both trashed. We're both fine. I have minor rash on my right wrist where my jacket and glove met, a bit of a rash/burn on my left elbow from where the jacket took a beating, wife has some minor rash on her stomach where her jacket rode up some.

EMS and the police were stunned that we were both up and walking around when they got there.

So much for what was supposed to be a vacation to the Talimena Skyway, lol. Maybe we'll rent a car and go anyway, I'm not sure yet.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Raven457 posted:

Guess it was my turn...

Hit a deer @ approx 70mph while two up with the wife onboard about an hour and a half ago. The ST1300 is demolished, pics coming in a bit. We're both sitting in a Whataburger waiting for our parents and their trailer to arrive (we were heading to their house, and were about an hour away when this happened).

Our gear is pretty well hosed - both HJC modulars stayed intact but have pretty bad rash, pants on us both are shredded, our jackets are both trashed. We're both fine. I have minor rash on my right wrist where my jacket and glove met, a bit of a rash/burn on my left elbow from where the jacket took a beating, wife has some minor rash on her stomach where her jacket rode up some.

EMS and the police were stunned that we were both up and walking around when they got there.

So much for what was supposed to be a vacation to the Talimena Skyway, lol. Maybe we'll rent a car and go anyway, I'm not sure yet.
Four words: Honey Butter Chicken Biscuit.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Raven457 posted:

Guess it was my turn...

Jesus. Good to hear you're alright, sucks about the bike but drat you got lucky. Hope you can enjoy your vacation whether you continue the trip or go home.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Raven457 posted:

Guess it was my turn...

drat glad you are ok. Amazing what gear will do!

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
http://ravensys.net/stuff/st13wreck/IMG_0025.JPG
http://ravensys.net/stuff/st13wreck/IMG_0029.JPG

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
drat. Random question, did you try and swerve or brake or anything? Or did the deer just jump in front of you with zero time to react? I'm just wondering because there's a lot of deer that run around on my way home.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'm wondering too but only because both sides are scraped up...

Do you remember the details of the actual crash or is it hazy? I know, for me at least, it's a choppy memory.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Whiteboy posted:

drat. Random question, did you try and swerve or brake or anything? Or did the deer just jump in front of you with zero time to react? I'm just wondering because there's a lot of deer that run around on my way home.

nsaP posted:

I'm wondering too but only because both sides are scraped up...

Do you remember the details of the actual crash or is it hazy? I know, for me at least, it's a choppy memory.

It's kinda strange, there's this intense clarity for a few fleeting moments (seconds, maybe?) right before impact and immediately after, and then a small bit that's blurry, and then everything comes streaming back into view again.

We were heading east on Highway 31, and hadn't quite made it to Tyler Texas. Wide open stretch of pavement, 3 lanes each direction, with super wide middle turning lane. It was around 830PM, I was in the far outside lane when I thought I saw something about an eighth of a mile ahead of me on the far left, way over on the westbound side in the grass. It was probably another deer, if it was anything at all.

The very next thing I remember is seeing the deer I hit as he seemed to materialize out of thin air. He was in the turning lane, running for the woods on my right, heading directly in front of me. He was running his rear end off. Time seems to have become compressed at this point, and while I know things happened really fast the playback in my head is kinda like bullet time in the Matrix.

I don't remember saying "Oh poo poo", but my wife remembers hearing me say it on the intercom. Not in a panic or anything, just an almost flat "Oh poo poo". She was looking over my right shoulder and didn't see the deer at all. I do remember thinking about what my options were, and I remember thinking I needed to either try to stop or brake and evade. Brake and evade won out in my mind, and I remember thinking that if I swerve hard left we might miss the deer. I remember feeling the bike leaning and turning hard left before impact, my wife does too, so at least I didn't choke up and did at least try to evade.

It didn't quite work though, and we hit somewhere along the back half of the deer. There was a really loud thwack and my forward field of vision went completely black (my headlights were both shattered), and my memory of things here starts to blur a bit. The bike went down on its left side, and I remember hearing the sound of the crash bars grinding into the pavement. We think my wife came off about this time, she has a pretty decent bruise on her left hip and remembers sliding and the bike being nowhere near her. I must have been still holding on for a bit because my left pants leg and left jacket sleeve are both pretty beat, the jacket is actually melted through where I was dragging my shoulder, and I remember pushing off. The bike caught traction or snagged on the pavement for a moment and then flipped up and over to the right side where it dragged for a bit longer. I remember sliding, I remember hoping that the pickup truck a bit behind us would stop and not run us over, I remember thinking that I really hoped my wife was OK. When things stopped moving, I got to my feet to see my wife as she crawled to the curb, lit up by the headlights of the truck that had stopped behind us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Raven457 posted:

It's kinda strange, there's this intense clarity for a few fleeting moments (seconds, maybe?) right before impact and immediately after, and then a small bit that's blurry, and then everything comes streaming back into view again.

We were heading east on Highway 31, and hadn't quite made it to Tyler Texas. Wide open stretch of pavement, 3 lanes each direction, with super wide middle turning lane. It was around 830PM, I was in the far outside lane when I thought I saw something about an eighth of a mile ahead of me on the far left, way over on the westbound side in the grass. It was probably another deer, if it was anything at all.

The very next thing I remember is seeing the deer I hit as he seemed to materialize out of thin air. He was in the turning lane, running for the woods on my right, heading directly in front of me. He was running his rear end off. Time seems to have become compressed at this point, and while I know things happened really fast the playback in my head is kinda like bullet time in the Matrix.

I don't remember saying "Oh poo poo", but my wife remembers hearing me say it on the intercom. Not in a panic or anything, just an almost flat "Oh poo poo". She was looking over my right shoulder and didn't see the deer at all. I do remember thinking about what my options were, and I remember thinking I needed to either try to stop or brake and evade. Brake and evade won out in my mind, and I remember thinking that if I swerve hard left we might miss the deer. I remember feeling the bike leaning and turning hard left before impact, my wife does too, so at least I didn't choke up and did at least try to evade.

It didn't quite work though, and we hit somewhere along the back half of the deer. There was a really loud thwack and my forward field of vision went completely black (my headlights were both shattered), and my memory of things here starts to blur a bit. The bike went down on its left side, and I remember hearing the sound of the crash bars grinding into the pavement. We think my wife came off about this time, she has a pretty decent bruise on her left hip and remembers sliding and the bike being nowhere near her. I must have been still holding on for a bit because my left pants leg and left jacket sleeve are both pretty beat, the jacket is actually melted through where I was dragging my shoulder, and I remember pushing off. The bike caught traction or snagged on the pavement for a moment and then flipped up and over to the right side where it dragged for a bit longer. I remember sliding, I remember hoping that the pickup truck a bit behind us would stop and not run us over, I remember thinking that I really hoped my wife was OK. When things stopped moving, I got to my feet to see my wife as she crawled to the curb, lit up by the headlights of the truck that had stopped behind us.

gently caress that doesn't sound like too much fun. Large animals are always interesting, I've managed to sideswipe a roo before in a car, don't want to try that on a bike. Glad to hear you and the wife are Ok.

• Locked thread