Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
FIB Buffalo is the best GTA IV car for any cop mission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Manny and Brucie perfectly highlights that content disparity I was talking about in GTAIV a page back. You go from all this drama and crap in a story that tries so hard to be serious, to doing missions for cartoon characters who want to "clean up the streets" by doing random hits on drug dealers for seemingly no reason at all other than an ego trip. They feel straight out of GTA3's era, which is fine by itself, but they don't fit IV at all, which makes them annoying than comedic.

Zedd posted:

One thing I really missed in SA/4 was special gang-cars.

I hope V brings back gangs, period.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Himuro posted:

I hope V brings back gangs, period.

I wish the gang system in GTA SA hadn't been restricted to just the eastern half of Los Santos.

Also It'd be neat if that gang system had allowed you to drain some of your mad stacks of cash by paying off gangs to join Grove Street instead of having to do tedious battles for 100 territories each.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
When IV was announced to be more realistic, I was hoping you would get mugged in alleys and poo poo and that gangs would be more dynamic. :smith:

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby

trandorian posted:

I wish the gang system in GTA SA hadn't been restricted to just the eastern half of Los Santos.

Also It'd be neat if that gang system had allowed you to drain some of your mad stacks of cash by paying off gangs to join Grove Street instead of having to do tedious battles for 100 territories each.

For some reason, I thought Saints Row 2 handled gang warfare far better than GTA:SA. In GTA, it felt like a chore whenever you had to defend one of your territories, but in Saints Row 2 it wasn't nearly so bad.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

trandorian posted:

There was a way to force it, probably unrelated to actual planning on rockstar's end but maybe it has to do with residue coding for a mapwide gangsystem.
There is a bug/feature that if you keep flying outside of the map for many ingame days more and more new gang territories unlock all over the map.
http://gta-sanan.ucoz.net/index/gang_territory_glitch/0-182

Uncle Lina
Jul 19, 2008
Well you guys made me start playing through GTA IV again yesterday, having a lot of fun so far. I found my old edited videos i thought id lost forever. Can anyone recommend a good program to add music to the videos without ruining the video quality?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

trandorian posted:

FIB Buffalo is the best GTA IV car for any cop mission

...Especially when I modify it to be crazy fast with great handling, weighs 10 tons, and is invulnerable to damage. Definitely the best in the game.

But then again, when I get 4 stars, then there are cops chasing me that are crazy fast with great handling, weigh 10 tons, and are invulnerable to damage. Gotta SMG them fuckers in the face to get em off me.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
So I picked up copies of SA and VC back in 2008, and never got around to really playing them. I think I got frustrated with the targeting in the first few missions of each and gave up for a while and just got sidetracked. I love RDR/GTA IV, and I am willing to look past a lot of jankiness if the core experience is good. These things in mind, do SA and VC hold up well enough to be worth investing tens of hours in these days?

Honestly, I really regret not playing the GTA3 games on release, especially San Andreas, as I feel like all of those games were a heck of an experience when they came out, and now I worry that I'll play them and be all 'eh? well now we have...", and be disappointed, so I haven't tried getting back into them yet. [Judging what I just wrote, I may also be a crazy person.]

DrankSinatra fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 30, 2011

Uncle Lina
Jul 19, 2008

DrankSinatra posted:

do SA and VC hold up well enough to be worth investing tens of hours in these days?

San Andreas is a great game, if you've never played it its definitely going to be entertaining for you. You really should play it, its a great game, loads of fun.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Just like how GTA4's driving takes a while to get used to; 3/VC/SA need a bit of time because of ages.
But they are still oh so much worth it, so very much.

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

Zedd posted:

Just like how GTA4's driving takes a while to get used to; 3/VC/SA need a bit of time because of ages.
But they are still oh so much worth it, so very much.
For some reason, GTA4's driving made sense to me - It felt weirdly like a slower, open world PGR. I think my opinion of games is broken in some way, though.

Holy Cow
Dec 8, 2006
I was thinking for V having the playable characters set over various decades in the same city would be pretty interesting.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Cage posted:

We will not mention the GTA3SA sentinel here.

Uhm this is by far the best looking one bro.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The Blista Compact runs all over those weak rear end cars.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle Lina posted:

San Andreas is a great game, if you've never played it its definitely going to be entertaining for you. You really should play it, its a great game, loads of fun.

Gotta second this. Been replaying San Andreas and have been playing it non stop for the past three days. So much fun and I plan on replaying Vice City and GTA3 after it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

LAWLandMine posted:

Gotta second this. Been replaying San Andreas and have been playing it non stop for the past three days. So much fun and I plan on replaying Vice City and GTA3 after it.

I'm thirding this opinion.

Also, this is my favourite GTA IV video ever.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

csidle posted:

Uhm this is by far the best looking one bro.

No way, dude. You may like your cars boring, but when I'm carrying $100,000 and a shitload of guns I want my cars to look intimidating.

Next you'll be telling me the GTA4 Esperanto:

Looks better than the GTA3 one:

And that poo poo just ain't gonna fly, bro :colbert:

While we're on the subject of cars, I always find this article a fun read: http://gta.wikia.com/Vehicle_Brands

You can find out about a ton of the vehicles and what they were inspired by from there.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 30, 2011

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

The Esperanto looks pretty dull, but yeah, I'm one for fairly down-key cars. The Washington is my fav cruiser in GTA4.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

VINCENT.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
I'm partial to the Faction. It doesn't look like much, but it's zippy and easy to handle at high speeds.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Asked before, but anyone know why SA is an utter crash-fest on steam? I'm trying to replay, but I crash out for no reason every time :smith:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Out of all the cars in every game, I gotta say the Clover from San Andreas was my favourite.

Doesn't look like much, but when I first drove one of these I fell in love with it. I took it to a car modding shop, painted it Grove Green (Which gets rid of its poorly maintained look), gave it offroad tyres and other assorted goodies and then treated it like a princess until I could get it to a garage :allears:

It burns out and hauls rear end beautifully, and if you turn hard enough you can make it swing its arse out in a majestic way. Then, when you bring it to a rest, the body sways on its springs because it's a big fat walrus with an engine too powerful for its own good.

It's also the only car that has a shakey shakey exhaust. It somehow manages to be ghetto while being classy as gently caress. What more could you want?

When I played GTA 4 I was absolutely gutted by the fact they removed car customisation from the game. I did all of Brucie's missions, got his friendship level maxed out, even did the lovely car collection side missions for Stevie all while hoping you could go and kit up some cars and... nothing. I think Rockstar's explanation for it was "Oh, it doesn't seem like something Niko would do".

Oh, well I'm very loving sorry but I'm playing this game for my entertainment, not Niko's. If I think he should be driving around in a bright pink Dukes with a blower taking up all the space on his hood, then he's drat well going to have to live with it!

At least SR2 gave me my car customisation fix. Sure, some people might think it's stupid or pointless given how expendable cars are in the GTA series, but it really makes you care about your vehicles and is also a really useful money sink. Open world games are about expressing yourself in the world they provide and something as relatively minor as being allowed to choose your own paint colours adds a lot to the game.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

moms pubis posted:

I'm partial to the Faction. It doesn't look like much, but it's zippy and easy to handle at high speeds.

Meh if you like the Faction you'd probably like the Saber more.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Songbearer posted:

Out of all the cars in every game, I gotta say the Clover from San Andreas was my favourite.

It was my favourite car because it looked almost exactly like the 68 Cutlass I had in high school. Right down the awkward looking vinyl top and body damage.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
My favorite regular street level car in the series was the Kuruma.

In GTA3 you can find a Kuruma regularly on every island. It's the go-to car if you're ever in need of a decent car with nice handling and alright speed.

Shame it's only in GTA3 and LCS.

I think the Blista replaced it as my favorite just ol' regular travelin' car in later entries.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
^^ My go to car was always a taxi in the 3 era games. The Taxi was a sentinel, which is the best car ever, and was always around somewhere.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm thirding this opinion.

Also, this is my favourite GTA IV video ever.

Does this stuff just naturally happen?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

simosimo posted:

Asked before, but anyone know why SA is an utter crash-fest on steam? I'm trying to replay, but I crash out for no reason every time :smith:

Seriously, it is awful. I'm getting lock ups too when apparently going too fast in some missions.

I'm strugging to beat Woozies first race and just as I finished beating Claude and Catalina the loving game locked up before I could drive to a save point.

fisty delicious
Nov 24, 2010

Himuro posted:

The game intro starts out with Niko finding the ship's captain being whipped (or whipping, I can't remember) in a sexually derogatory manner. This is so random and adds absolutely nothing to the intro. It's just there, it's some random vignette of juvenile humor. The entire game is like this.

From a couple pages back, but the point of this was so the writers could open their new Grand Theft Auto game with "Daddy's back, you bitches!"

It's not random, it's funny :colbert:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Okay, three lock ups during that race in a row now has pretty much convinced me I can't get any further with SA :(.

Uncle Lina
Jul 19, 2008
So, anyone know a program i can use to add audio onto my rendered videos without losing picture quality?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Uncle Lina posted:

So, anyone know a program i can use to add audio onto my rendered videos without losing picture quality?

Something like virtualdub could do that.

I'd recommend avidemux:
http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/

It's really easy to replace the audio and then just output it without re-encoding the video. If you want to edit the existing audio, you'll have to output that first and then edit it with some other program.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Am I the only person who just grabs the first car in sight, regardless of model, drives it until it explodes, then takes the next nearest car? I never understood the whole parking garages and car modding stuff -- if I actually put money into the car, I couldn't fly it off a bridge in a beeline for the next objective!

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

MrChupon posted:

Am I the only person who just grabs the first car in sight, regardless of model, drives it until it explodes, then takes the next nearest car? I never understood the whole parking garages and car modding stuff -- if I actually put money into the car, I couldn't fly it off a bridge in a beeline for the next objective!

I'm the exact same way. If it isn't a burned-out husk them I'm not done with it yet. Just Cause 2 was pretty great for playing like this, I don't think I ever used the brakes on any vehicle ever in that game.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

MrChupon posted:

Some types of cars I might prefer to grab to others if they're around, but yeah I tend to do this as well.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

MrChupon posted:

During a mission of course not, but I still play the game just to enjoy the driving physics so I've thoroughly tested all the cars and found my favorites. :)

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

MrChupon posted:

Well yeah, you gotta keep the good cars in your garage and never drive them!

Did anyone else make it a goal to collect the cars with weird properties in GTA3? Most of them involved destroying a car during a mission/race and then pushing it back to your garage to un-destroy it and unlock the doors.
http://www.gtawh.com/gta3.php?page=bpcars

Of course, in Vice City there is that one mission where you can just go around a corner and grab Ken Rosenburg's invincible Manana (or whatever it was) after it was over.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Alright, if you all are going to be edgy and pick boring sedans and huge barges as the best cars, I'm going to be the predictable rear end in a top hat who says the Infernus is the best car in every GTA game since 3. :colbert:

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

davebo posted:

Alright, if you all are going to be edgy and pick boring sedans and huge barges as the best cars, I'm going to be the predictable rear end in a top hat who says the Infernus is the best car in every GTA game since 3. :colbert:

It's definitely the best in IV. It was way too slippery in San Andreas, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Put me down as a Comet fan. Sexy, fast, good at turning, doesn't flip often and you can hop right in it if the doors are closed. Just wish it was a four seater.

• Locked thread