Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hormones
May 9, 2009
Dear god, UglyNoodles. This is intense! Cliff hanger!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Adus posted:

I'm always kind of embarrassed for America whenever Japan has to deal with one of those anime fanatic tourists. I don't want to be associated with that.

Yea, I'm pretty sure they realize (hopefully) that these people are a minority. But it doesn't really do any good for America's image, that's for sure.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

uglynoodles posted:

Kat, if I was Ripley, you were Newt. You probably felt the same but reversed.

This got a laugh out of me. God I love this thread. :suspense:

Finisher1
Feb 21, 2008

Grashlok posted:

Yea, I'm pretty sure they realize (hopefully) that these people are a minority. But it doesn't really do any good for America's image, that's for sure.

What I'm wondering is why is it always Japan? You don't see many people coming to the United States because they base their entire lives around western comic books and the Cartoon Network and assume that they will be universally loved and accepted because of that.

Redeadagain
Jan 10, 2009

this shall be
humorous

Finisher1 posted:

What I'm wondering is why is it always Japan? You don't see many people coming to the United States because they base their entire lives around western comic books and the Cartoon Network and assume that they will be universally loved and accepted because of that.

Less worship of exoticism coupled with rampant xenophobia and a dislike of foriegners I guess.

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!

Adus posted:

I'm always kind of embarrassed for America whenever Japan has to deal with one of those anime fanatic tourists. I don't want to be associated with that.

Don't worry about it; a lot of Japanese visit as tourists to see America, so they know we're not all like that. Even then, though, they still do have some weird ideas about America.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

uglynoodles posted:

Aliens, Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Jurassic Park are my favourite films of all time
:swoon:

It doesn't sound like Denise was really dumb in any way, like you mentioned. She's just an incredibly lazy sack of poo poo.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Finisher1 posted:

Eh, you get a little of it for the UK, especially ever since Harry Potter got really big. You'll occasionally have the kids who romanticize the UK and dream of going there and inject random British English-isms into their American English speech (snogging, arse, etc.). They want to go to the UK based on their love of Harry Potter and Doctor Who.

I don't think you get as much of it as you do Japan, but it's still there a little bit.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

dumb brunette posted:

Eh, you get a little of it for the UK, especially ever since Harry Potter got really big. You'll occasionally have the kids who romanticize the UK and dream of going there and inject random British English-isms into their American English speech (snogging, arse, etc.). They want to go to the UK based on their love of Harry Potter and Doctor Who.

I don't think you get as much of it as you do Japan, but it's still there a little bit.

Consider all the people who made visits to Forks after twilight came out. Forks. A.K.A Boringsville, Washington. It's hardly exclusive to Japan.

...Though now that I think about it, a lot of Washington towns have sister Cities in Japan.:tinfoil:

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Lance Streetman posted:

Consider all the people who made visits to Forks after twilight came out. Forks. A.K.A Boringsville, Washington. It's hardly exclusive to Japan.

...Though now that I think about it, a lot of Washington towns have sister Cities in Japan.:tinfoil:

Well, there are more Japanese people in Washington. It is the West Coast v:v:v

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

dumb brunette posted:

This I find is very quickly cured by documentaries about Scottish council estates.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Adus posted:

That is far from the worst thing America has ever inflicted upon Japan, however.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Adus posted:

I'm American, but I spent roughly a third of my childhood (most of my formative adolescence) in Japan and still go back from time to time. I avoid any and all anime shops or conventions like the plague on both sides of the pond; too many bad run-ins with extremists (be they single Japanese guys hunting waifu merch or 'Merican "GRORIOUS NIPPON :japan:" acolytes). I don't think there's a comparable analogy for the latter in regards to Japan idolizing a perceived aspect of Western culture today; iirc that all happened during/after the Meiji Restoration when they assimilated all our industry technology, but I digress.

Nothing against animation/manga with actual substance, although I dropped the medium a long time ago for other reasons, but seriously...everything in moderation.

OP, thanks for sharing. Excellent posts.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Boiled Water posted:

This I find is very quickly cured by documentaries about Scottish council estates.

Council estates? Those sound classy as hell. (they're projects or something aren't they)

la_fausse_tortue
Oct 25, 2011

Yes, it's a horsebutt.
Yes, she went to Japan with Melissa. Dropped a lot of cash. Borrowed cash from her aunt to both drop in Japan and pay for the trip. Dunno if it's been repaid yet.

She's saving up to go back.

And apparently she might have found an in-road into the English Teaching in Japan. George has a lot of connections. I doubt it will pan out, considering her utter lack of grammar and correct speech. And her ignorance of the language.

I remember her telling me after she came back about how she couldn't speak any of the language. Beyond, I guess, yaoi and animu terms I guess. And they did go to a convention there.

I still take Japanese. Up to Lesson 14 in Genki now. Taking it as well as Chinese. Finding Chinese easier, somehow.

EDIT TO SAY: I probably won't be providing any stories for a bit. It's midterms week. And Japanese just chewed me up on the last quiz.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Farecoal posted:

Council estates? Those sound classy as hell. (they're projects or something aren't they)
Yes, low income apartment blocks.

Catling Gun
Jan 4, 2009

After seeing that picture I had to double-check some facts! It looks exactly like the art turned out by my own Denise. (But she lived with her mother, not her father, and wasn't anywhere near that monstrous, to the best of my knowledge.) I met her at the anime club and we were fast friends, doing all the things 14-year-old anime fangirls do.

Except she was like 20. At the time I never thought this was weird, but as I grew I suddenly realized "Wait. She still puts on her anime-character falsetto and coos about Digimon? I'm in college."

She was a really sweet girl, but, like Denise, her hypochondria was just completely all-consuming. She decided to cut ties with me because my early failings to get a story published made her feel bad about herself or something.

Actually now I feel pretty good about that.

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

~*I Sparkle You Sparkle*~
loving anime falsetto. I knew a girl who's natural voice was incredibly high-pitched and paced. She almost got punched out at BK by a cashier who figured nobody made noises like that and she must be trying to start something. :haw: And she still spoke higher and faster when she was being 'kawaii.'

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

The Worst Unicorn posted:

loving anime falsetto. I knew a girl who's natural voice was incredibly high-pitched and paced. She almost got punched out at BK by a cashier who figured nobody made noises like that and she must be trying to start something. :haw: And she still spoke higher and faster when she was being 'kawaii.'

That poo poo is not a joke. Work in a Japanese office for a month and you start having physical reactions to all the high-pitched, cutesy "polite voice" all the OLs put on for every loving interaction ARGH!!!!!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

What happened in Japan that makes high pitches polite?

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

bringmyfishback posted:

That poo poo is not a joke. Work in a Japanese office for a month and you start having physical reactions to all the high-pitched, cutesy "polite voice" all the OLs put on for every loving interaction ARGH!!!!!

We have a lot of Japanese students studying English at university here. Each year they run free Japanese classes so they can meet the locals, and it helps them practise their English too. I'd done some the year before and knew a very little already. Some of the guys were a little taken aback when a shaggy-haired, deep-voiced lass showed up in jeans, a leather jacket and a football shirt and got chatting to them. They explained to me that men and women have completely different ways of talking, and what with saying things like "boku", "yo", "da", etc., I sound really butch. I just cannot do the cutesy submissive voice and language - I've tried and I sound like a bloke doing falsetto or something and it sounds even more daft.

It does explain that time when I was a fresher and I tried to hit on one of the Japanese lads. He was pretty happy at first that I spoke his language, but I was far too forward and, in hindsight, talking like a dude. After about a minute, the poor guy seemed properly scared. Then again, I've been known to have that effect on one or two Western guys too. :iiam:

Zentrenched
Jun 7, 2005

It's all noise to me.
I love the idea of you doing the Japanese equivalent of 'alreet luv, canna buy you a pint?' in a gruff mannish voice.

My sister was a rep at uni for the incoming Japanese students and said that the guys were often pretty scared of women here (UK). And Chinese girls too, who would often stalk the pretty ones.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Don't worry, she can't teach English in Japan, at least through a reputable company. You need at least a bachelors degree. I had a friend that did it a couple years ago. I think there was a crack down and a lot of the companies closed / its a lot harder to teach in Japan now.

I think you also have to get interviewed. The two people I know that did it had a Masters in English and a Bachelors in Art Education.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Zentrenched posted:

I love the idea of you doing the Japanese equivalent of 'alreet luv, canna buy you a pint?' in a gruff mannish voice.

My sister was a rep at uni for the incoming Japanese students and said that the guys were often pretty scared of women here (UK). And Chinese girls too, who would often stalk the pretty ones.

That's a scarily accurate impression of me! Though I do now, somewhat miraculously, have a lovely boyfriend who, three years ago, actually went for the line "Alreet lad, I'm crap at flirting, so I'll just be honest: You're fit and I like you. Let's go for a pint or something." He's a Smoggie, so I guess he sounds a bit strange too.

But aye, I'm telt that it's only really a very few tough guys (the ones who dress very conservatively for their photos and as soon as they come over here they dye their hair, dress like punks, go out clubbing all night etc.) who like British lasses, particularly here in the north. The same goes for girls from Hiroshima, because apparently they have quite strong accents there that sound harsh compared to the rest of Japan.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

la_fausse_tortue posted:

Yes, she went to Japan with Melissa. Dropped a lot of cash. Borrowed cash from her aunt to both drop in Japan and pay for the trip. Dunno if it's been repaid yet.

She's saving up to go back.

And apparently she might have found an in-road into the English Teaching in Japan. George has a lot of connections. I doubt it will pan out, considering her utter lack of grammar and correct speech. And her ignorance of the language.

I remember her telling me after she came back about how she couldn't speak any of the language. Beyond, I guess, yaoi and animu terms I guess. And they did go to a convention there.

I still take Japanese. Up to Lesson 14 in Genki now. Taking it as well as Chinese. Finding Chinese easier, somehow.

EDIT TO SAY: I probably won't be providing any stories for a bit. It's midterms week. And Japanese just chewed me up on the last quiz.
Actually, you don't need to know any Japanese to teach abroad in Japan (See the JET thread). You kind of have to not be a slovenly weirdo in the interview in order to get anywhere, which we all know she can't manage. Also you MUST have a BA to get a work Visa there.

And Chinese is awesome. Everyone should take Chinese.

Zentrenched
Jun 7, 2005

It's all noise to me.
Figured you for a Northerner like, given the user-name and Teeside Tintin avatar.

I love seeing all the crazier fashion types appear when the student's roll into Newcastle every year. The punkier Japanese always look cool as hell.

I've no doubt both sexes probably get (unwanted) attention from Otaku types though.

Poor buggers.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

In the PYF Internet Trainwrecks thread there was a creepy guy who was into little animu girls and called real girls "3d pig ugly" (paraphrasing). He got hired to teach in Japan :gonk: and kept a genuinely frightening blog about how he loves the young, beautiful children on animes. He got fired when the school discovered that blog. I'm not entirely sure how easy it is to qualify to teach in Japan.

I notice everyone's contributing tales of their crazy anime friends. Like I mentioned earlier, the only significant crazy I know is a girl when I was in college who was really, really into Hinduism and Sai Baba, so I'm not sure if it's relevant to this thread.

Highlights include:

- faking memory loss for weeks because someone forgot her birthday

- telling everyone how she was in Hong Kong televised dramas, and Bollywood musicals. Singing is bloody awful.

- spiritual/astral wedding with both Sai Baba and some Indian politician/philanthropist

- starting a "thespian society", and doing a terrible 4 hour Bollywood musical, cast and crew involving almost the whole law faculty (including me, who got to see a lot of crazy first hand), and later the international student department.

If people want to read this I'll post a couple of stories. Can't promise anime. She hates them.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

Stottie Kyek posted:

That's a scarily accurate impression of me! Though I do now, somewhat miraculously, have a lovely boyfriend who, three years ago, actually went for the line "Alreet lad, I'm crap at flirting, so I'll just be honest: You're fit and I like you. Let's go for a pint or something." He's a Smoggie, so I guess he sounds a bit strange too.

But aye, I'm telt that it's only really a very few tough guys (the ones who dress very conservatively for their photos and as soon as they come over here they dye their hair, dress like punks, go out clubbing all night etc.) who like British lasses, particularly here in the north. The same goes for girls from Hiroshima, because apparently they have quite strong accents there that sound harsh compared to the rest of Japan.

Goddammit I have literally just that second understood your username and now I feel like an idiot.

A friend of mine went to teach in Japan for a while and absolutely hated it. I was really confused when he said he was going over there, because he wasn't at all one of the weird anime people who normally goes for that stuff. Turns out he'd been learning Japanese at evening classes because he was bored of his job.

Apparently, at least in the program he was in, the conditions were REALLY lovely and the places he ended up teaching at were loving awful. He also really hated most of the other people on the program because they WERE weird anime types who went to buy figurines and body pillows or whatever.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Haha yeah, the username puzzled me until I realised where she's from

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

happyflurple posted:

Haha yeah, the username puzzled me until I realised where she's from

Hehe, aye, the local foodstuff is called a "stottie cake", but pronounced "sto'ie kyek" in Geordie/Mackem/Smoggie/Durhamite etc.

Zentrenched posted:

Figured you for a Northerner like, given the user-name and Teeside Tintin avatar.

I love seeing all the crazier fashion types appear when the student's roll into Newcastle every year. The punkier Japanese always look cool as hell.

I've no doubt both sexes probably get (unwanted) attention from Otaku types though.

Poor buggers.

Yes, someone else who knows Tinhead! :neckbeard:

Oh man, this reminds me of another time. Some of the Japanese girls were feeling homesick, and they wanted to watch some animes. Well, I didn't have any myself, but I remembered that we have an anime society at the university, where people bring their anime DVDs and play them on a big projector in a lecture theatre. I hadn't been before, though. So we rocked up there to find a sea of cat ears and neckbeards, who all stared at and fawned over the Japanese girls like they were some kind of minstrel show, and we all sat down to watch Potemayo, which was some weird-rear end show about a schoolboy who finds a tiny, cuddly, round creature... thing, which one of his mates has a crush on for some reason, and in this episode they spent a torturously long time at a swimming bath talking about how the beast was growing tits and "becoming a woman". The soc was meeting for drinks afterwards, but we decided to give it a miss.

I later saw the society's logo, which incorporates an enormous Imperial Japanese Army flag, which, what with having Dutch grandparents, makes me (and the Japanese students, actually, who just want to forget that whole business and celebrate peace) pretty loving uncomfortable.

edit:

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Creepy India fangirl

This sounds hilarious, like the anime creeps, but swap Japan for India. Please post 'em!

Stottie Kyek fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 30, 2011

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Stottie Kyek posted:

Hehe, aye, the local foodstuff is called a "stottie cake", but pronounced "sto'ie kyek" in Geordie/Mackem/Smoggie/Durhamite etc.

I had to look up what the hell a "stottie cake" is.

It actually sounds kinda good. Better than most of the British food we Americans hear about, anyway.

Also, yes, crazy India stories would be fantastic. It's always nice to hear about people obsessed with countries other than Japan.

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!

- spiritual/astral wedding with both Sai Baba

Isn't that the Indian guru with an afro? Isn't he also widely accused of being a fraud?

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

It actually sounds kinda good. Better than most of the British food we Americans hear about, anyway.

Never trust anyone who badmouths British food, they never really make a good enough case against it to be taken seriously :colbert:

All of this talk of people who literally believed they were astral dragons or whatever is really eye-opening because the worst I've ever experienced were people who just liked them a lot. In primary school there was one girl who carried around a sort of beanie baby dragon thing and whenever she wasn't paying attention in class she would do simple sketches of them, but actually talking to her and spending time with her it was obvious that she was completely down to earth and just thought that flying fire breathing lizards were pretty cool, just like some people thought Ninja Turtles or Transformers were cool.

I would hope and expect that in the years since then she's stayed cool about that sort of thing. Then again since then the internet kind of happened in a big way, and we all know what the internet can stir up in folks.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

In the PYF Internet Trainwrecks thread there was a creepy guy who was into little animu girls and called real girls "3d pig ugly" (paraphrasing).

Was it this guy? Because I want to punch his lights out.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Lance Streetman posted:

Was it this guy? Because I want to punch his lights out.

It's this charmer

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I had to look up what the hell a "stottie cake" is.

Also, yes, crazy India stories would be fantastic. It's always nice to hear about people obsessed with countries other than Japan.

There is a lot of delicious British food, but it tends to be regional specialities, like stottie cake with bacon and pease pudding, or Yorkshire curd tarts, or a whole load of tasty cream cakes and things. Scotland especially has some great things like cranachan, smoked salmon, haggis, etc. And we have a huge range of good beers and cheeses.

We never really got a chance to develop our own cuisine, because Britain was always being invaded, so the rich people who would've had the money to make special food were foreign and usually ate recipes from their original countries. That's why a lot of our traditional food uses cheap ingredients and can be quite fattening, like bread and cakes or bangers 'n' mash, because it was what the British peasants ate to keep warm and fat when they had to work the land - but now there are fancier versions thereof, like a fancy cream tea, or wild boar sausage etc.
Most of that ended in the Industrial Revolution when people were crammed into big cities, so people ate lovely fried stuff and our food really was bad.
Then we had the Empire, and we invaded other countries and stole their recipes, so you do get a lot of British-Indian and British-Chinese food over here. It's not very authentic and it's so different from the original dishes that it's considered British (e.g. tikka masala isn't Indian at all), but it's clearly inspired by other cultures.

So yeah, that's why all good British food is sometimes overlooked or mistaken for other countries' food.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

by astral

Stottie Kyek posted:

Yorkshire curd tarts

This sounds like the most unappetizing spoonerism ever

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Pastrymancy posted:

It's this charmer

Oh boy! Now I have a new person I want to punch out!

Seriously, take a look at this:

quote:

I shouldn’t have to live by Japanese standards.

:downs: "I'm an American in Japan, I shouldn't have to follow Japanese customs or rules!"

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Stottie Kyek posted:

wild boar sausage etc.

I'm sorry, I just kind of drifted off into a drooling mess about here. That sounds positively fantastic.

My mother always spoke highly of the food she had when she visited the UK, but never really went into detail on anything. I certainly wouldn't mind paying a visit myself some day, for more than just the food.

Now if Top Gear can stay a thing long enough for me to get famous, I can kill two birds with one stone.

Edit:

Lance Streetman posted:

Oh boy! Now I have a new person I want to punch out!

Seriously, take a look at this:

:downs: "I'm an American in Japan, I shouldn't have to follow Japanese customs or rules!"

Holy poo poo, look at this.

"Japan itself is just one big contradiction. It makes no sense to me. Anime and manga portray this free reality of no boundaries but Japan is so restricted and constrained."

It's like he(?) doesn't understand the concept of escapist media. The entire most recent post seems to be about how Japan isn't at all like the animes he used to escape from his lovely life when he was a kid and he doesn't know why.

RyuujinBlueZ fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockroach
Dec 12, 2010
I roomed with a girl from Japan my first semester, Akira and tried to be friends with her, but I must have crossed some line because she got increasingly rude to me as the semesters went on. Other girls on the floor tried to be her friend, too, but they were mainly ignored. When I came back from winter break she had moved somewhere else on campus.

There was also a budding weeaboo who lived on my floor. All this girl knew so far was that she liked Sailor Moon, was putting together a Sailor Jupiter outfit and kawaii baka desu. Well, Jupiter found herself on the receiving end of shared care-packages when they came in from Japan, and was cool enough to warrant returned greetings when they passed in the hallway.

They still weren't friends, no, and Akira had very plainly told me that she didn't like anime when we first met. (She then also asked a lot of questions about 90's American prime-time television that I couldn't answer) I don't think that they ever had what you could call a conversation- "I'm going to be Sailor Jupiter!" "Yes, that's nice". But I guess she just really did want us to be in awe of her. Odd one out, I guess.

• Locked thread