Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
How the hell did you guys miss:

quote:

Let me tell you guys that the girl for me is under 12 years old. Although, if they don’t have a flat chest it isn’t good at all. Because in my opinion that’s bad. So please would all you big breasted people just leave the planet now? Anything over 13 is just middle aged. If you’re over 20, you’re an old lady. Over 30 is definitely a fossil. I don’t find this weird because society didn’t have any problem with it at all in the past. It’s only a recent thing in maybe the past 20 years that this has been frowned upon. But I’m looking at it from a child raising stand point. Is not younger and healthier the better? Yes, yes it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

:h:Knight of the
Rainbow Table.:h:

Clockroach posted:

I roomed with a girl from Japan my first semester, Akira and tried to be friends with her, but I must have crossed some line because she got increasingly rude to me as the semesters went on. Other girls on the floor tried to be her friend, too, but they were mainly ignored. When I came back from winter break she had moved somewhere else on campus.
I wouldn't automatically blame this on her being from Japan. It's really hard for a lot of international students to become comfortable making friends with the natives just by virtue of the language barrier and the crippling fear of doing something that would be considered weird. Most of the international students at my school rolled together in a big multi-national band of brothers. The language barriers were still there for the most part, but the fear of being weird became a point of shared experience rather than something to be bothered over.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I've been following that blog from the internet trainwrecks thread. He is just so close to realizing that maybe Japan has bigger problems than animu bullshit. Then the very next post he goes back to posting about lolis :barf:

I can't believe someone who stays in Japan for that long doesn't know about its current economic troubles.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Tasty and Delicious posted:

How the hell did you guys miss:

Yeah, I went back and read through another page or two of his posts and...Goddamn, son. Goddamn. Somebody needs a serious beating.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Finisher1 posted:

What I'm wondering is why is it always Japan? You don't see many people coming to the United States because they base their entire lives around western comic books and the Cartoon Network and assume that they will be universally loved and accepted because of that.

There are some subcultures in other countries that emulate some aspects of American culture, like those dudes in Sweden who dress like American greasers from the late 50's/early 60's and drive old American muscle cars around, but I don't think they ever come to the US and try to fit in.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 30, 2011

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Lance Streetman posted:

:downs: "I'm an American in Japan, I shouldn't have to follow Japanese customs or rules!"

That dude is a pretty well known dickhead.

Pastrymancy posted:

I've been following that blog from the internet trainwrecks thread. He is just so close to realizing that maybe Japan has bigger problems than animu bullshit. Then the very next post he goes back to posting about lolis :barf:

I can't believe someone who stays in Japan for that long doesn't know about its current economic troubles.

I don't know how, either, unless he flat out just does not talk to anyone.

Earwicker posted:

There are some subcultures in other countries that emulate some aspects of American culture, like those dudes in Sweden who dress like American greasers from the late 50's/early 60's and drive old American muscle cars around, but I don't think they ever come to the US and try to fit in.

Some of the crazy orange-painting Japanese 'cosplayers' did a few years back and were just blown away by California.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Some of the crazy orange-painting Japanese 'cosplayers' did a few years back and were just blown away by California.

The what now?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Valex posted:

This sounds like the most unappetizing spoonerism ever

I once saw a curd tart on a turd cart. I then heard a fart. It came from Burt Ward.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

RPZip posted:

The what now?

Were they ganguroes?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

RPZip posted:

The what now?

The ganguro folks. Not all of them get crazy or are trying for the CA thing, but a handful were, went to CA and got totally confused.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganguro

There was even an SA article about it in 2005: http://www.somethingawful.com/d/fashion-swat/ganguro-madness.php

E: Ah, beaten. But yeah. :)

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
What do ganguro people have to do with California? I don't really know much about the phenomenon, but what little I have read had never drawn a connection between the two.

Also, can you tell more about these folks who came to CA and had their minds blown? It would be a nice change of pace to read about a different type of crazy fan getting illusions shattered upon coming into contact with whatever they were obsessed with.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Viola the Mad posted:

What do ganguro people have to do with California? I don't really know much about the phenomenon, but what little I have read had never drawn a connection between the two.

Not all of them do have anything to do with it, but there was a solid group a while back that was ganguro and US obsessed.

quote:

Also, can you tell more about these folks who came to CA and had their minds blown? It would be a nice change of pace to read about a different type of crazy fan getting illusions shattered upon coming into contact with whatever they were obsessed with.

If I remember correctly, the story goes that they went ganguro-style to Disneyland and were just loving stunned to see Americans waddling around in t-shirts, shorts and sandals. They went to LA and a couple of other towns and were just heartbroken. :smith:

Blastoise
Nov 9, 2010

Onward, Sancho!
^^^
Poor people. :smith:

Pastrymancy posted:

It's this charmer

I think I need to take a shower now. Oh my god. And then I get to the post of him calling some anime character who is clearly about 12 years old an "old hag."

I wonder how he has managed to live in Japan as long as he has and not only refuse to take in the culture except for his "loli girls", but not know anything about the economic troubles?

Blastoise fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 30, 2011

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting

Boiled Water posted:

What happened in Japan that makes high pitches polite?
Actually this happens in the US too, just not to the same extent. The more formal a conversation is, and/or the less well you know the person you're talking to, the more you adjust the pitch of your voice to sound higher (women) or deeper (men). For some reason, artificially increasing the sexual dimorphism of the voice is one of the things we do to sound polite or formal. Pay attention to your voice the next time you chat with a cashier or order at a restaurant, and you'll notice it. It's just something we unconsciously learn to do as kids by watching older people. (EDIT: I should mention that although this is the general rule, people will use other strategies for setting the right tone as the situation demands. As other people have pointed out, a woman might use a deeper voice to sound more authoritative, and a man might use a higher voice to sound more inoffensive.)

So it kind of makes sense that this would show up in other cultures, too. Except it sounds like it's done a lot more consciously in Japan.

Anyway for content: Some folks in this thread mentioned that they've met several people like Denise. How the hell does this happen? I feel like there can't be too many people out there who are like this. And while I've known two pathological liars, they lied about pretty normal things like having designer clothes, not about being inter-dimensional astral royalty.

Absolute Lithops fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 31, 2011

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -

Absolute Lithops posted:

Pay attention to your voice the next time you chat with a cashier or order at a restaurant, and you'll notice it. It's just something we unconsciously learn to do as kids by watching older people.

Back when I worked at a private golf course I caught myself doing this a lot to the members there. My voice would rise a full octave saying "yes sir!" or something. Then a sentence later I'd drop back down talking to a buddy.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Absolute Lithops posted:

Actually this happens in the US too, just not to the same extent. The more formal a conversation is, and/or the less well you know the person you're talking to, the more you adjust the pitch of your voice to sound higher (women) or deeper (men). For some reason, artificially increasing the sexual dimorphism of the voice is one of the things we do to sound polite or formal. Pay attention to your voice the next time you chat with a cashier or order at a restaurant, and you'll notice it. It's just something we unconsciously learn to do as kids by watching older people.

So it kind of makes sense that this would show up in other cultures, too. Except it sounds like it's done a lot more consciously in Japan.

Now you mention it, I've noticed women (myself included) do have a slightly higher voice when talking to people they don't know in a friendly way to be inoffensive, but deepen their voices when they're in a formal or business setting. IIRC amongst others, Margaret Thatcher, while not a good person to emulate in other respects, used to have elocution lessons to sound deeper so that other world leaders would take her seriously, and my female teachers at school would always talk deeper when they wanted to make it abundantly clear we'd been little shits.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Absolute Lithops posted:

I'm sure Uglynoodles will confirm/deny this for me when she comes back since she's said she has a working grasp of the language but I believe that Japanese is one of many languages that actually use intonation to change what you mean, so it would stand to reason that someone who's trying to "pour it on" so to speak, would get all squeaky.

The cultural obession thing is by no means unique to the US. Hell, so many Japanese people visiting Paris have nervous breakdowns when they discover that it's just another big city and not at all like what they see on TV that there is a documented psychiatric disorder called "Paris Syndrome". It does happen to people other than Japanese, and even for other cities/countries.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Pastrymancy posted:

It's this charmer

:stare: :stare: :stare: Holy loving poo poo, I need brain bleach stat. This guy is gonna end up in jail for statutory rape and a laundry list of other depravities.

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting

Stottie Kyek posted:

Now you mention it, I've noticed women (myself included) do have a slightly higher voice when talking to people they don't know in a friendly way to be inoffensive, but deepen their voices when they're in a formal or business setting.
Yeah, not to derail too much, but women can get into tricky situations where they need to be perceived as less feminine/more authoritative, but not to the point where they're considered "mannish." And arguably, a woman who's using a deeper voice to sound commanding is actually being less formal.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Viola the Mad posted:

:stare: :stare: :stare: Holy loving poo poo, I need brain bleach stat. This guy is gonna end up in jail for statutory rape and a laundry list of other depravities.

What's worse is that before he was fired, this man was working at an elementary school. :catstare:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Stottie Kyek posted:

Now you mention it, I've noticed women (myself included) do have a slightly higher voice when talking to people they don't know in a friendly way to be inoffensive, but deepen their voices when they're in a formal or business setting. IIRC amongst others, Margaret Thatcher, while not a good person to emulate in other respects, used to have elocution lessons to sound deeper so that other world leaders would take her seriously, and my female teachers at school would always talk deeper when they wanted to make it abundantly clear we'd been little shits.

This isn't entirely unique to women, either. Having worked a lot of customer service, I've noticed myself and the men I work with will tend to speak in a higher voice when dealing with customers. It's not always as easy to pick up on, depending on the man, in my experience.

I used to get a kick out of listening to my grandma and her receptionist friend whenever they'd answer phones, when I was a kid. One second they were speaking in their usual smoker-growls, cursing and grumbling, and then they'd be cheery and peppy as a little girl.

Edit: I never really saw the deeper-equals-mannish quality of a "commanding" tone to be the case. Male or female, the voice deepens with age so I always saw it as a "making your voice deeper makes you sound older and thus more important" deal. I may, in fact, be an idiot though.

RyuujinBlueZ fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 31, 2011

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Fortunately he passionately hates human beings for having a 3rd dimension, so he's unlikely to do anything to a person.

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!

Creepy McSperg 2D posted:

I would never want to date a real woman. What reason is there? Sex? Sex is a disgusting act that not only looks ridiculous, you could just fap and get the same results. Other than that I see no reason to date a woman. Unless, you like giving your money away.

You know, I can't help but think he's missing the point here. Yes, some women are horrible people that will attempt to steal all your money, but most are A.) not that different from you apart from having internal genitals and B.) Sometimes you'll just happen to meet one that changes you for the better. Basically women are awesome and the world is a better place for having them.

Also, Fapping is in no way the same league as sex. This is a statement that can only have come from someone who is not having/or had sex. Or just had really lovely sex.

-EDIT-
:nws:Also, you know what, when you have this on your personal blog? All I can think to say is gently caress you creepy man from the internet. Stop making GBS threads up Japan with your creepy bullshittery. I hope they kick you out.:nws::nms:(Maybe)

Venmoch fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 31, 2011

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

That creeper from the blog posted:

I think I’ve honestly always hated real women ever since I was young. From my own bitchy mother who left my father, to the first girl I’ve ever had a crush on in grade school, to the first girl I ever dated in high school. I feel like it’s an instinct of mine to hate real women. I feel like as an Otaku King in training, it’s also my duty to hate women. Anime has shown me this. It has shown me that 2D is far superior and I shouldn’t accept any substitutes.

Real women are disgusting, greedy, fat, have big breasts, and only use men as an accessory for status. Without men, women would find no value because they define their value by the man they’re with. Real women just take, take, TAKE. And they only think about themselves. I hate women because they don’t love me. So they should die.
Holy poo poo.

I think we need some more Denise stories to wipe our memories clean from this misogynist creep.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Venmoch posted:

This is a statement that can only have come from someone who is not having/or had sex. Or just had really lovely sex.

Well, yes. You read the blog, right?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

I think there's only one thing that could be done to fix this dude for the better, at this point.

It always boggles my mind how many people seem to just give up on relationships and dating because a handful of bad experiences. Yeah, that girl you had a crush on laughed at you instead of falling for you. So what? Life doesn't always go to your scripting, that's what makes it exciting. It might hurt, but you pick yourself back up and try again and again until you find someone that works with you. Closing yourself up and fawning after cartoon children is so far in the wrong direction that you're not even using the same map anymore.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Whoa. :stare:

I mean, I knew the guy was a tool and poo poo, but holy poo poo.

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

Well, yes. You read the blog, right?

Yes, and I have never wanted to book a plane ticket and punch a grown man in the face more than I do now.

What makes it funnier is that its so obvious that Japan wasn't the fantastic Loli paradise he'd made up his mind about so he rages against the very things that Japan have enshrined in their culture. Seriously, railing against Keigo and calling it unfair? That'd be like telling the army they shouldn't refer to superior officers as "Sir" not to mention the totally retarded argument comparing a set of rules on how to address people Senior to you is on a similar level to racism just boggles the mind.....

Besides anyone who says

Spergy McNippon posted:

I have no interest in your kid’s English grades. Personally I think teaching English in any foreign school for a grade is stupid. Let the kids decide when they get to college if they want to pick it up or some other language. That suggestion sure made my Japanese English teacher’s head explode.

is a really lovely English teacher.

For all his complaints about Japan and how he wants to leave he won't. He'll just become another self-loathing Gaijin who can't seem to give up the one thing that he hates for some reason.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

But if Japan kicks him out, he might come to your country instead! :eek:

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If I remember correctly, the story goes that they went ganguro-style to Disneyland and were just loving stunned to see Americans waddling around in t-shirts, shorts and sandals. They went to LA and a couple of other towns and were just heartbroken. :smith:
It sounds like they visited working class areas and were shocked to find that most Californians aren't rich :downs:

Although to be fair, Disneyland is full of horrible tourists from other states, the kind who still wear fanny packs.

EDIT:

quote:

an Otaku King in training
Aim for the moon. Even if you don't succeed, you'll still land among the stars :allears:

Absolute Lithops fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 31, 2011

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Stottie Kyek posted:

But if Japan kicks him out, he might come to your country instead! :eek:

Don't worry, he'll be lynched by a mob of angry Daily Mail readers way before he can do any harm.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

quote:

...disgusting, greedy, fat, have big breasts...

I need a picture of this guy so I can prove he hates himself.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Red_October_7000 posted:

I'm sure Uglynoodles will confirm/deny this for me when she comes back since she's said she has a working grasp of the language but I believe that Japanese is one of many languages that actually use intonation to change what you mean, so it would stand to reason that someone who's trying to "pour it on" so to speak, would get all squeaky.

Tone is important with Japanese, but no so much as Chinese. In Japanese you can have slightly different accents and stuff and people will still get what you're saying, with Chinese it's crucial you say your poo poo right or you will offend someone/not make sense at all.

For example, in Mandarin Chinese, "Chaa" can mean 'tea,' or it can mean 'bad.' Chaa with a slightly upwards tonal inflection on the last a means tea, Chaa with a lower tonal inflection on the last a means bad.
"Yuan" with a lower inflection is a Chinese denomination of currency, whereas "Yuan" with a higher one means 'far', as in a long distance.

Whereas in Japanese, 'Kuro' means the colour black regardless of which syllable you stress, you'll just kind of sound dumb or like a hillbilly or something if you do it wrong. As a rule of thumb you should try not to stress any syllables when speaking Japanese words, keep them as flat as possible. It's also important to note that the way people speak in anime is not the way actual Japanese speakers speak. Anime voices are a lot more bouncy and juvenile, so if you learn to talk from them, you will sound loving retarded to a Japanese person. Hence the issues with Applemilk1988.

That said, the squeaky voices thing is basically it's seen as being cute or feminine. It's a common thing in schoolgirls and stuff. The higher your voice is, the cuter you are, so the result is often Pikachu-level poo poo as overcompensation layers on itself.

Also thanks for being patient guys, working on the next post for tomorrow!

AND that guy really needs a punch in the face. How the gently caress can you be such a disgusting human being? He doesn't care about the kids he's teaching, he doesn't care about the culture he's ingratiated in, and he wants to gently caress 12 year olds. What a disgusting creep. Also did he not research the culture at all before he stepped in? No wonder the kids are rude to him. He doesn't stay after hours at all which means he appears lazy and uncaring to them, he expects to be treated specially, and he doesn't make an effort to speak their language. What a complete cock and a disgrace.

I would love to go to Japan and eat some authentic food rather than the homogenised stuff they usually serve over here for us lame westerners, and see the sights, and talk to some locals. I love that kind of stuff. I'd love to teach some Japanese kids English. I think I'd be good at that and it'd give me an opportunity to converse in their language, too!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ask me about studying law with a girl who thinks she's married to Sai Baba

Table of Contents

The Girl in the Sari
A Note on Henriette
Phantom in Honolulu
The Girl who Thinks She's Married to Sai Baba & Part 2
The Thespian Society
Amnesia: The Friendship Descent
The Stage Play

Interlude 1: Raja Discovers Blogging
Interlude 2: Le Fursécution!

The Bollywood Film 1: A True Story
The Bollywood Film 2: I am Batman
The Bollywood Film 3: Andrew, You're Not the Father
The Bollywood Film 4: Fever
The Bollywood Film 5: What If?
The Bollywood Film 6: The Importance of Data Security
The Bollywood Film 7: A Cleansing
The Bollywood Film 8: Premiere
The Bollywood Film 9: Je Veux Ton Revenge
The Bollywood Film Interlude: Technical Notes on I Will Survive!
The Bollywood Film 10: As a dragon I
The Bollywood Film 11: She Felt the Abyss of Disenchantment
The Bollywood Film 12: Redemption Island

Finale

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: I am really good at google. Can I do some internet detective poo poo on your stories?

A: NO.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Background

I started my tertiary education in a local Malaysian college. This programme - which is commonly termed as a 2+1 - involves you doing two years of UK law in Malaysia, and then completing your final year in a UK university which the college is affiliated with.

In the college I was there are about three batches each year, with classes of 10-20 odd people junior to/senior to another batch by a few months. Needless to say, most batches are "cliques" in their own way, but I was very fortunate that our year didn't have that big a problem. Or at least I mingled enough with other everyone in the law faculty to not notice it, but I digress.

It is those first two years where I met our heroine, Henriette.

The Girl in the Sari

Henriette entered our batch late, about one month into our academic year. The first image most of us had of her was an ethnic Chinese girl, her hair in a bun, coming into class in a flowing white sari and a red bindi on her forehead. Needless to say, that left an impression on not only the students, but the lecturers.

A number of our lecturers were Indians, mostly Hindu or Punjabi, and they were not exactly impressed. One of the lecturers, Miss Parekh, was especially offended by the white sari, because (and I may be wrong here) it is something that is usually worn by widows. This, couple with the Bindi (a sign of marriage) immediately gave away to her that this girl has a romaticised idea of India without knowing the customs and taboos. She was quiet about her ideas on Henriette until a year later, when during a farewell party (she was getting married to an Aussie) she drunkenly confessed her opinion and loudly proclaimed "I knew she was a nutjob all along! YOU KIDS NEVER PAY ATTENTION." Then she downed six rounds of vodka and passed out at the hotel lobby in front of our dean. Good times.

Henriette loves stage acting and operatic music. In one of our first study groups, she told us all about what she gave up for law. She apparently knew a number of famous Hong Kong celebrities, and she was going to star in a Hong Kong period drama about the Shanghai triads. Unfortunately, the bird flu epidemic happened, and she had found a greater calling in her life - Law. She has also trained under a French opera singer to sing, and she knew all the words to the Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals and other more exotic ones, like Puccini et. al. We didn't really know much about her, so we were quite impressed with her amazing talents although a bit bewildered as to why she decided to do law in a Malaysian college, of all things. She has some knowledge about plays and opuses, so we would give her that.

None of us would hear her sing until much, much later.

One of the things she did in the college was to start the Thespian Club. The Thespian Club was a hilariously paper-thin facade for what was actually the "Henriette Appreciation Club", since from what I am told after we all left for UK the club shut down.

She also spoke about Sathya Sai Baba, her greatest love. I have to confess I do not know much about Sai Baba, other than the fact that he was apparently a living legend with a sizable international following, dressed chiefly in orange and had a giant afro. I know a number of people I respect who are Sai Baba devotees, so I wouldn't say anything against the religion. None of them, however, claimed they were spiritually in a marriage with Sai Baba, nor do they dress like a young widow to class almost everyday.

Parekh apparently, before she left, made a complaint to the dean about Henriette's white sari, but Henriette pre-empted that by telling him during enrollment that her dressing represents her beliefs in Sai Baba. I have, until now, never figured out where that white sari thing came from.

Speaking of Henriette's white sari, she had absolutely no fashion sense save her white saris. Her comfortable clothing involved oversized shirts and jeans, or a yellow-blue-red chequered pinafore that apparently was her old high school uniform. Sometimes she would wear long dresses that make her look 40 years old.

Before ending this I just want to mention something I was told by another coursemate, who was in the same class as Henriette in A-levels in another college. Henriette at that time was not all about Sai Baba, and just known to be very weird and dressed like an old lady.

She also had a large backpack which was a mystery to everyone. That is, until one day she opened it during class and pulled out a pillow.

To everyone's bewilderment, she placed it on the desk, put her head on it, then promptly fell asleep. The description I was given was that the whole class, including the tutor, stayed silent for a couple of minutes watching everything unfold.

I've got to go to work now, so here are a list of stories that happened in those two years I'll probably talk about :

- selective birthday-induced amnesia (involves the Thespian Club stage play)

- writing blogs about people she doesn't like on a public social website

- "I'm married to Sai Baba. Can I still marry someone else, even spiritually?"

- death of a classmate

- the Thespian Club bollywood movie, a tragi-comedy in two acts (this will probably be the huge multi-post story)

No animes, sorry folks.

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 26, 2011

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I just watched In the Mouth of Madness by John Carpenter (on netflix instant right now!) Combining this thread with that movie is horrifying.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
You should probably follow it up with Jacob's Ladder or Eraserhead. Just see how much worse it can get.

Dabbo
Aug 20, 2010
Does Denise have any pets? If so how does she treat them?

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Adus posted:

I'm always kind of embarrassed for America whenever Japan has to deal with one of those anime fanatic tourists. I don't want to be associated with that.

It could be worse, it could be Tea Party members in American Flag shirts and pants yammering about how we nuked their asses in dubya dubya 2.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

The Saddest Rhino posted:

She also spoke about Sathya Sai Baba, her greatest love. I have to confess I do not know much about Sai Baba, other than the fact that he was apparently a living legend with a sizable international following called the Hare Krishna (?)

Nope--Sai Baba and Hare Krishnas are different groups. They do, however, both inspire Indian-weeaboo-ism among western devotees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Hoover Dam posted:

Nope--Sai Baba and Hare Krishnas are different groups. They do, however, both inspire Indian-weeaboo-ism among western devotees.

Whoops. Fixing that, thanks.

• Locked thread