Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Thoughts? I'm still trying to get the hang of the off-camera flash. Are the shiny spots too distracting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cleanhands
Jun 9, 2010

My opinions, though not completely awful are expressed in a tiresome and needlessly aggressive way. Please help me to chill out.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Thoughts? I'm still trying to get the hang of the off-camera flash. Are the shiny spots too distracting?

Yeah a diffuser might help.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

alkanphel posted:

Yeah a diffuser might help.

Thanks- i had a home-made diffuser (the clear plastic drawer liner version that someone posted somewhere in Dorkroom a few months ago) on the off camera flash, so either I need to dial that one down more or my diffuser isn't very effective.

No diffuser on the on-camera pop-up. Probably should have tried it without the pop-up too.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

DSC_0034.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

:3:

I love this reversed pentax lens setup, but I think the reversing ring is stuck to my 18-55. As in literally stuck, I can't get it off. :geno:

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time

Mr. Despair posted:

As in literally stuck, I can't get it off. :geno:

Press it up against the bottom of a sneaker and twist. It's how I've gotten some stuck filters off before.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Anti_Social posted:

Press it up against the bottom of a sneaker and twist. It's how I've gotten some stuck filters off before.

:aaaaa: That worked perfectly, thanks!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

SD 073 13 Fly by Execudork, on Flickr

SD 073 14 Fly and Bee by Execudork, on Flickr

SD 073 15 Bee by Execudork, on Flickr

SD 073 16 Spider by Execudork, on Flickr

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I made myself a ring-flash entirely out of painters tape and tinfoil. I still don't have a wire for my flash, so I made an aluminum foil tube to connect to the ring itself. Here are some pics I took with it:

Ring-Flash Macro Test 004 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Ring-Flash Macro Test 016 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Ring-Flash Macro Test 012 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Ring-Flash Macro Test 022 by Abnegātus, on Flickr
Yes, my diffuser was a paper towel.

Pastry Mistakes fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 9, 2011

AlienApeBoy
Jul 11, 2005
Ape
I was surprised how much more colorful this guy looks than he did to the naked eye (at least on my 2nd monitor):

Abnegatus: that paper towel pattern reflected in the eye is actually quite awesome.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

What kind of tripods are people using for insect/low ground shots or for walking around with? Do they help with insect shots? I see some really amazing dof on these shots and I am not nearly getting anywhere like it (canon5d2, 100mm macro) and am curious, how I can improve my dof for insect shots. I figure it is quite difficult because I've found by the time I plonk my camera down if I'm using a tripod the bugger has flown off on me. Or walked off. I'm pretty slow.

So I've mostly been handholding it, and it kinda shows. Very blurry.

I've also tried using a flash, but for some things even with a diffuser the flash just kills it (particularly fungus) so a tripod that can get me close to the ground with lots of angles is great. I've been recommended a gorilla-pod but wondering what actual macro users use. I guess.

Anyway here are some of my (admittedly crappity) shots showing my favourite photo subjects.
Shells (random shells from the local beach):

Plants/Fungus (these are Mycena interrupta)

Textures and patterns (this is a sea urchin shell):

Insects (my ultimate favourite insect is this one - the hoverfly)

:) Love looking at everyone's insect shots - amazing little buggers up close aren't they!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Shot this for the leaf's texture

Anthocyaninic Leaf by alkanphel, on Flickr

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Finally got all my new kit in (used to just use 100mm Canon 2.8 w/ XTI - got a 7D and added a 430ex with a flash bracket and cheap diffuser)

Went out and shot for an afternoon before fall really hit - first impressions are that using a flash allowed me to get a LOT more shots than I was used to.

Fly on tree by alctel, on Flickr

moth by alctel, on Flickr

This last was is too 'lit up' if that makes sense, I think I needed to dial down the flash a tad for that, or get a better diffuser.

jumper by alctel, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What bracket is that, and do you like it?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

It's a Manfrotto 330B Macro Flash Bracket

It's pretty good, feels very solid and well-made - comes with two arms, I took one off though. I'm also going to add a cheap little ballhead to make it more flexible.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alctel posted:

It's pretty good, feels very solid and well-made - comes with two arms, I took one off though. I'm also going to add a cheap little ballhead to make it more flexible.

Thanks! Just looked on B&H and that's less pricey than I expected. Going on my x-mas list (unless I can't wait and just buy it for myself).

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
FINALLY got one of these shots.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Alctel posted:

That is awesome, I think I'm going to have to pick one of those up along with a flash of some sort.

Would be nice being able to get a quick shot instead of needing a 2.5 second exposure like I did with this one.

DSC_0500.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Anyone have good tips for lighting with a reverse lens setup? When the lens is a few cm away from the subject it seems tricky to get good lighting.

Also I really need to go back and clean up the background in that picture still.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

Alctel posted:

Finally got all my new kit in (used to just use 100mm Canon 2.8 w/ XTI - got a 7D and added a 430ex with a flash bracket and cheap diffuser)

Those shots are phenomenal - are you still using the 100mm for these?

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Meal time

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Tambaloneus posted:

Those shots are phenomenal - are you still using the 100mm for these?

Yup, the non-IS version - it really is an amazing lens

Slightly related - all the exif data that used to come across automatically now seems to be stripped - grrrrr

Raikyn posted:

FINALLY got one of these shots.

These are great, what kit/lighting did you use?

Alctel fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 2, 2011

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

quote =! edit

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm assuming you're talking to Raikyn- mine was natural light (and those are much better photos). In case anyone cares- I used the same lens as you (Canon 100mm 2.8 non-L),60D, with the big and small from the three-pack Opteka extension tubes, on a tripod. f6.3, 1/500s, ISO 500.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I have the 100mm 2.8 non IS non L version of that lens and I don't think I've ever gotten a photo anywhere near as kickass as those. I need to practice more I think. Maybe a tripod will help. And, well, being less retarded about what settings I use.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Tambaloneus posted:

I have the 100mm 2.8 non IS non L version of that lens and I don't think I've ever gotten a photo anywhere near as kickass as those. I need to practice more I think. Maybe a tripod will help. And, well, being less retarded about what settings I use.

Don't worry about the glass and focus on the light: how you create it and how you control it.

One of these was taken with a 20 year old Minolta 50/1.7, the other with a high-end Zeiss 135/1.8. Guess which is which!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I saw an academic seminar by Alex Wild a couple of weeks ago that was all about taking better bug pics, and he definitely spent the most time on lighting. He shot a lot of things indoors in home-made white-boxes similar to what you might use for taking pictures of stuff for eBay. Even some of his outside stuff was set up- he had an armature with a clamp so he could position a stick with a bug clinging to it just the way he wanted. Definitely big diffusers on his flashes, and he often had backlighting flashes to add color to transparent leaves and bugs. He paid a lot of attention to the backdground as well- making sure there was something pleasing and interesting in color (he often used fruit, but sometimes dead leaves or living foliage).

He recommended sort of mid-size apertures, not too wide open or the depth of field is too narrow, but not totally closed down either since apparently sharpness takes a bit of a hit (I didn't realize this).

Also you need a butt-load of patience- some of the outdoor shots took him several days of shooting when the light was just right to get the effect and focus he wanted.

One other thing- he was actually pretty upbeat about macro small-sensor p&s and even cellphone cameras for photos that don't need to be super-high resolution. Something about the size of the bug and size of the sensor, and how close you can get the front of the lens to the subject.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I'm assuming you're talking to Raikyn- mine was natural light (and those are much better photos). In case anyone cares- I used the same lens as you (Canon 100mm 2.8 non-L),60D, with the big and small from the three-pack Opteka extension tubes, on a tripod. f6.3, 1/500s, ISO 500.

tripod and extension tubes? You have more patience than me ;)

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alctel posted:

tripod and extension tubes? You have more patience than me ;)

I was trying to get some video too. Plus, they were really small spiders!

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

seravid posted:

Don't worry about the glass and focus on the light: how you create it and how you control it.

One of these was taken with a 20 year old Minolta 50/1.7, the other with a high-end Zeiss 135/1.8. Guess which is which!

Those spiders are so soooo cute! They're the puppies of the arachnid world. And yes, light and framing and all that I am really just starting to learn. I am also having to learn one very important thing that underlies all of these skills and that thing is patience! I'm really quite bad at that. Still, practice makes perfect and the more I do the better I ... hopefully will get.

I haven't used much in the way of lighting before, I have a reasonably prominent spasticity (uncontrollable shake) which means without a tripod I have to keep the camera light or I can't hold it still, or I have to use a tripod and since mine is old, clunky and not very useful in odd angles so far I just haven't. Or just use really fast shutter speeds and high ISO.

Buuut those are excuses. I've got a gorillapod on layaway and the next will be a nicer tall tripod, with maybe some better light setup some way down the road.

For now I'll learn how to bounce light around from the cheapass speedlite using some maguivered together reflectors or something. Somehow. I want to some day learn to take pics like these too (though not as magnified this guy is using microscopes for these): http://www.sandgrains.com/Sand-Grains-Gallery.html

Also keep those jumping spider shots coming they are gorgeous shots and so ... soooo very cute :3

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Alctel posted:

These are great, what kit/lighting did you use?

I used a 7D + MPE-65 + 580exII for mine, taken at 1:1, I usually use that or a Tamron 90mm for the bigger stuff.

Just taken this at 4:1

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I was trying to get some video too. Plus, they were really small spiders!

Ughhh video of jumping spiders is a real pain. I spent about 5 minutes trying that and I got about 30 seconds of footage that I felt was good enough to post in the critterquest thread, and by that I meant "hey you can tell it's a spider".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQQ7IC2PmjI

Handheld macro video just doesn't work very well for me.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Don't think my clips turned out very well either. Besides just being really difficult to follow, it was on the other side of a really dirty window.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Raikyn posted:

I used a 7D + MPE-65 + 580exII for mine, taken at 1:1, I usually use that or a Tamron 90mm for the bigger stuff.

Just taken this at 4:1

I would LOVE the MPE-65 , but apparently it's a real bastard to use well. Nice pic!

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Alctel posted:

I would LOVE the MPE-65 , but apparently it's a real bastard to use well. Nice pic!

Hardest thing sometimes is trying to find in the viewfinder what you are actually trying to shoot.
For those unaware the mpe-65 unlike all/most other lenses has a maximum working distance as well as the usual minimum.
Maximum WD is 101mm, which is a 1:1 shot
Minimum WD is 41mm, which is 5:1

The canon 100mm macro by comparison focuses at a maximum of infinity down to a 1:1 shot, where I think the WD is 150mm.
Yeah so think of your canon macro at 1:1, go another 50mm towards the target and that is where the mpe-65 starts.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Yeah, getting so close without spooking the insect must be tough - I bet you also need a TON of light so can't stop down too much.

It's still probably going to be my next purchase however

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Don't think my clips turned out very well either. Besides just being really difficult to follow, it was on the other side of a really dirty window.

This is pretty much the best I got...

Even though this guy hardly moved at all and I was on a tripod, still very hard to keep in focus.

Wheezer
Apr 4, 2011
I'm happy with how these turned out.
I've got a 58mm reverse mounted lens and a few short extensions on a micro four thirds body.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Whitetail, an aussie original but into NZ now.
Noticed it hanging from my shorts as I stood up.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Does anyone have any recommendations for focus stacking software for macro work? I don't have (and won't buy) Photoshop. Helicon Focus looks neat, and it's only $30, but I don't know what else is out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Graniteman posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for focus stacking software for macro work? I don't have (and won't buy) Photoshop. Helicon Focus looks neat, and it's only $30, but I don't know what else is out there.

I tried CombineZM and Zerene Stacker. I shoot by hand so they didn't produce any usable results, but they got (surprisingly) close. I imagine they'd be great for tripod work.