Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ArfJason posted:

did we ever find out what was with that apocalypsearisen deal? The one where she's like a ghost? The one that we were all shocked about. Because really, I know there are dreambubbles and all, but her case was so different. I hope it doesn't get bullshitted away by something like "Oh, handmaid, it was all a plan of doc scratch all along!!!!!!" because that'd be the worst.

Could just be natural psychic powers. We're told that the lower troll castes are predisposed towards greater psychic abilities, after all, and she's on the bottommost rung. I doubt all of them turn into psychic ghosts or else Alternia would be swimming in them, but she could just be uniquely gifted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Aradia has always been kind of a special case. It could be something related to her ability to commune with the spirits of the dead, it could be something that happens to any player who dies before the game starts, it could. E from the influence of Scratch/Horrorterrors/something else. Kind of the way Hussie has worked is throwing out a lot of details that don't mean anything until suddenly they do. The pink dual moon of Alternia could be one of those. I'm just dreading when LE kills John by feeding him peanuts.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

marsattacks posted:

Do you mean the continuous and extremely pressing mystery of how exactly Jaspers died?

Sounded like old age to me, from what he told Nepeta. What we don't know is where/when he went, who zapped him there and why they sent him back after he died. Could also be something that'll only come together when we see the reset session, of course - like Jade's penpal, if he's indeed post-scratch Grandpa.

(I like to think that reset Rose's relationship to reset Mom will be exactly what original Rose thinks Mom's relationship to her is. Here's a pet for you, a cat from an alternate timeline. No expenses spared.)

Hamiltonian Bicycle fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 30, 2011

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's probably the most inconsequential thing but I'm still dying to know how PM was exiled.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

It's probably the most inconsequential thing but I'm still dying to know how PM was exiled.
I had the feeling that she was just so disillusioned after she gave the package to John, because of all of the bullshit and murder she had to go through, that she exiled herself to get away from it all.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

creationist believer posted:

I'm just dreading when LE kills John by feeding him peanuts.

Wait, now that John is godtier, he could probably eat peanuts without worry! He might temporarily die but he'd get better. There is nothing heroic or just about peanuts.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Gotta wonder what trolls consider heroic or martyr-like.

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

ArfJason posted:

did we ever find out what was with that apocalypsearisen deal? The one where she's like a ghost? The one that we were all shocked about. Because really, I know there are dreambubbles and all, but her case was so different. I hope it doesn't get bullshitted away by something like "Oh, handmaid, it was all a plan of doc scratch all along!!!!!!" because that'd be the worst.

Are you asking why Aradia came back as a ghost after Vriska killed her, rather than just being dead? If so, we don't really know, besides that we've been told that Aradia is Kind Of A Special Case. It's similar to the situation with Kanaya, I guess - Aradia had special powers to hear the voices of the dead and then came back as a ghost, and Kanaya had a special vampire-related abilities/interests and came back as a vampire. But we don't really know the mechanics of why either of them didn't just stay dead.

I'm just dreading when LE kills John by feeding him peanuts.

And Jade is a dog, so she can't have chocolate... Does that mean Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are now the most deadly weapon anyone has against the kids? :v:

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Level Slide posted:

Gotta wonder what trolls consider heroic or martyr-like.

Our group of trolls? Probably the same thing we do. Our trolls (especially Karkat and Kanaya) are surprisingly human. What heroic or martyr-like mean in "normal" troll society? Who knows.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Comic posted:

Wait, now that John is godtier, he could probably eat peanuts without worry! He might temporarily die but he'd get better. There is nothing heroic or just about peanuts.

Tricking John into eating peanuts would upset the Prankster's Gambit to the point where the God Tier immortality failed to apply. You can't beat LE in a prank-off, he is simply the best there is.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Who knows if our/their ideas of heroism/justice even matter? It's entirely likely that it's just the universe (or the game) deciding what is just and/or heroic.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

King of Solomon posted:

Who knows if our/their ideas of heroism/justice even matter? It's entirely likely that it's just the universe (or the game) deciding what is just and/or heroic.
Which in turn is just one of a bunch of metaphysical questions surrounding the game, and godtier players in particular.

The game is a method for making new universes, but why does it take the form it does, enlisting teams of coming-of-age children and various motifs? Is godtier just be a special bonus for players who can find their beds and are prepared to die, or does it have some deeper meaning for the multiverse?

Granted this is stuff that might never be answered, or might not even have a proper answer. Back in the real world, there are plenty of "why" questions like that. From an outside perspective, you can say "this stuff happens because that's the story Andrew Hussie wanted to write" and that's fair enough. But I'm still hoping for an in-universe explanation. For the extra credit.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Just so you guys know, Hussie was hit by the huge fuckoff snowstorm we just had and is likely without power for a few days.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Favorite moments... for easy mode, definitely the very first Strife! flash with John and Dad. I was instantly hooked.

For hard mode, Jack Noir VS Dad.

Dad isn't even like, a particular favorite character of mine. He just winds up being in all these awesome situations and mangrits right through them.

Special mention to the entire Midnight Crew intermission. I still reread it independently of the story sometimes. :)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Fiction posted:

Just so you guys know, Hussie was hit by the huge fuckoff snowstorm we just had and is likely without power for a few days.

That's really unfortunate, but he wasn't really going to hop back into the grind until the 11th anyways, so this might not actually make much difference (from an audience standpoint.)

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

King of Solomon posted:

That's really unfortunate, but he wasn't really going to hop back into the grind until the 11th anyways, so this might not actually make much difference (from an audience standpoint.)

Well, there was still going to be an intermission of some sort.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Wait, is the question why didn't Aradia go straight into a dreambubble after she died for the first time? In addition to being A Special Case from the get go, couldn't it also just be because she hadn't entered the game yet? The Aradiabots, like the Beta Daves, have dreambubbles after all.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nate RFB posted:

Wait, is the question why didn't Aradia go straight into a dreambubble after she died for the first time? In addition to being A Special Case from the get go, couldn't it also just be because she hadn't entered the game yet? The Aradiabots, like the Beta Daves, have dreambubbles after all.

Well, while the dream bubbles are outside the furthest ring where time is...weird, it's worth mentioning that at that point in the storyline, the dream bubbles didn't actually exist yet. That happened after Feferi died.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

King of Solomon posted:

Well, while the dream bubbles are outside the furthest ring where time is...weird, it's worth mentioning that at that point in the storyline, the dream bubbles didn't actually exist yet. That happened after Feferi died.

Slight point, but it was when her dreamself died and she went to sleep to show there was nothing wrong with sleeping without a dreamself and setting up the dream bubbles. I don't think that's the reason why Aradia became a ghost instead of going to a dream bubble, I think that's just because Aradia is Aradia. Probably.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Slight point, but it was when her dreamself died and she went to sleep to show there was nothing wrong with sleeping without a dreamself and setting up the dream bubbles. I don't think that's the reason why Aradia became a ghost instead of going to a dream bubble, I think that's just because Aradia is Aradia. Probably.

Yeah, I considered that. I wasn't sure exactly, especially given how nonlinear the troll timeline got at times, so I went with the safe choice.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

King of Solomon posted:

Yeah, I considered that. I wasn't sure exactly, especially given how nonlinear the troll timeline got at times, so I went with the safe choice.

Yeah, it was just a minor point developed in Alterniabound when you talk to Feferi as Karkat and in Jade's first conversation with Feferi. It would be weird of dream bubbles turned out to be the solution to all the problems and Feferi set them up though.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, it was just a minor point developed in Alterniabound when you talk to Feferi as Karkat and in Jade's first conversation with Feferi. It would be weird of dream bubbles turned out to be the solution to all the problems and Feferi set them up though.
I thought the horrorterrors set up the dream bubbles, and Feferi asked them to do it.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Oh my loving christ.

Walking through town I pass a group of people and I hear the following snatch of conversation:

"What the hell is this comic you two always go on about?"
"*something something* There's some kids playing a game and then there's some aliens as well and the game destroys the world. You have to read it."

I have never felt as much anger at a complete stranger as I experienced right there. Why the hell would you use THAT as an introduction to homestuck? The trolls don't even message any of the kids until act 3. Not to mention telling him that Sburb destroys the world. There are ways to try to introduce someone to a piece of fiction and that is NOT it.

I then found out WHY she chose that as an introduction because as I was about to go out of ear shot I caught the word "Quadrants" and some high pitched sounds with another girl there who I can only assume is the other one who goes on about homestuck. I think I actually encountered an anthropomorphisation of the worst parts of the fandom right there and then.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I thought the horrorterrors set up the dream bubbles, and Feferi asked them to do it.

This is indeed what happened.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

That's what I meant. The Horrorterrors set them up at the bequest of Feferi when she when to sleep without a dreamself.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
So apparently Cascade was a remix of Descent or a re-imagining of it. The point is someone switched Descents' music with Cascade (and tweaked the sync, but just a little bit), and it's pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpit6s7X8w4

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

ActionZero posted:

Oh my loving christ.

There are people who think that major animations like Descend and Cascade are the best way to hook new viewers. They don't seem to realize that this stuff has maybe one-tenth the impact out of context because they rely on the Katamari-like buildup of everything that came before.

Though that didn't stop me from linking a friend (whom I figured was probably never going to read it) to [S] Jade: Wake Up.

Walliard fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 30, 2011

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

ActionZero posted:

I have never felt as much anger at a complete stranger as I experienced right there. Why the hell would you use THAT as an introduction to homestuck? The trolls don't even message any of the kids until act 3. Not to mention telling him that Sburb destroys the world. There are ways to try to introduce someone to a piece of fiction and that is NOT it.
So what's the alternative, introduce the beginning? "It's about a kid trying to check his mail, but he's got a crazy videogame inventory system and he keeps loving up."

You and I, and others who read without knowing anything, may have appreciated the holy-crap quality of the stakes going up and the scale exponentially increasing as we followed the story, but if you're talking to someone who would be interested in that kind of crazy over the top stuff, but wouldn't be sold by what the story appears to be at first, you've got to spoil it a bit to get them interested.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Ammat The Ankh posted:

So apparently Cascade was a remix of Descent or a re-imagining of it. The point is someone switched Descents' music with Cascade (and tweaked the sync, but just a little bit), and it's pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpit6s7X8w4

Didn't Tensei make Cascade originally to sync up with [S] Descend? I don't know the details but I think Cascade (Beta) might actually sync with Descend almost perfectly because it was intended to.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Fortis posted:

Didn't Tensei make Cascade originally to sync up with [S] Descend? I don't know the details but I think Cascade (Beta) might actually sync with Descend almost perfectly because it was intended to.

The first part of Cascade is based on a piece that Tensei made back before he was on the music team, which was intended to be an alternate track for Descend. I remember the original turning up in the old thread a while back.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Eiba posted:

So what's the alternative, introduce the beginning? "It's about a kid trying to check his mail, but he's got a crazy videogame inventory system and he keeps loving up."

You and I, and others who read without knowing anything, may have appreciated the holy-crap quality of the stakes going up and the scale exponentially increasing as we followed the story, but if you're talking to someone who would be interested in that kind of crazy over the top stuff, but wouldn't be sold by what the story appears to be at first, you've got to spoil it a bit to get them interested.

My method of introduction has always been "A group of kids sequence-break a Sims-like game that manipulates reality and thus find themselves trapped in an apocalyptic Earthbound pastiche."

References to the source material carry a lot of weight with some people.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

ActionZero posted:

There's nothing wrong with mentioning that it is a webcomic about the end of the world. But I'd start it more like "You know those old computer games where you would type in commands for the characters to do? Imagine if Earthbound/Zelda/Final Fantasy was like that, but with..."

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

My method of introduction has always been "A group of kids sequence-break a Sims-like game that manipulates reality and thus find themselves trapped in an apocalyptic Earthbound pastiche."

References to the source material carry a lot of weight with some people.

That's perfect. Thank you.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Eiba posted:

I had more problem with the fact that they got to the trolls as soon as possible and I'm pretty sure it went full shipping after I was away from there.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Eiba posted:

1: "Hey, there's this comic I read. It's funny and has cool Flash animations sometimes. I think you'll like it."

2: Wait. Consider linking them to music tracks that might fit their tastes.

3a: Homestuck!
3b: Realize Homestuck isn't for everyone and drop the subject.

And if someone bothers asking why you talk about it all the time, you'd think they'd be interested enough to investigate on their own. I know I started reading Homestuck because apparently that goofy kid with the glasses was on a jetpack all of a sudden.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Eiba posted:

Personally, my introduction to Homestuck was [S] Dave: Accelerate and I think it's a perfect introduction. Good music, shows the amount of action you can expect, and doesn't spoil anything so much as make you wonder how the beginning gets there. I watched that flash and saw all the troll avatars here and thought "I gotta see what's going on with this thing"

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

Fiction posted:

Yeah, if I remember correctly he's out by Northhampton which got hit pretty bad. Springfield apparently got over a foot of snow. Where I am we got five inches and clockwork power surges but it all melted the day after despite every single tree branch snapping. I wouldn't be surprised if he lost power until Monday.

tFUCKINGmesis
Oct 5, 2011
A friend had been talking to me some about Homestuck, and I think it was his description of the Midnight Crew/Felt intermission that prompted me to finally start reading for some reason. And then I read the whole thing in under a week and knew jack poo poo. Re-reading has really helped.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
Favourite part challenge? Sure I'll play along.

My favourite part is Dave. I know that isn't a scene or anything, but when this is all over, he's probably what I'm going to remember the most. Every scene he is in is awesome, and every chatlog with him is hilarious. Karkat's pretty great too, and when I was reading Hivebent I was prepared to make him my new favourite character, but then when we get back to the kids I was hit by how awesome Dave is again. His interactions with the other kids, especially Rose, really remind me of some of the crap me and my friends used to do when we were teenagers (and to a certain extent continue to do).

There are so many great chatlogs with Dave that have already been mentioned (the one with Tavros, the puppet prostate one), and while those two are great, this one is probably my favourite:

quote:

CTG: i dunno man doesnt sound like you really got our interests in mind here
CTG: you just sound kinda bitter
CTG: did one of the human ladies reject you
?CG: OF COURSE NOT.
CTG: how did it go did you stand in a quadrant like you were playing four square
CTG: holding a bucket full of flowers or slime or whatever and jade was like no thanks bro
CTG: is that how it went down
?CG: YES, YOU FIGURED IT OUT! YOU ARE A SAVANT OF XENOBIOLOGY DAVE AND I SALUTE YOU WITH ONE OF MY MANY INTERGALACTIC SPACE TENDRILS
?CG: (THAT'S FAKE, I MADE THAT UP TO gently caress WITH YOU)
CTG: or maybe it was a guy who rejected you
?CG: gently caress OFF.
CTG: haha wow bingo
CTG: see how i look right now thats a poker face might want to take some notes
?CG: I SEE NOTHING BUT A COWARD BEHIND DARK EYEWEAR CLEARLY DESIGNED FOR WOMEN AND A PAIR OF IMPUDENT LIPS PURSED SO TIGHT IT'LL SOUND LIKE AIR SQUEALING OUT OF A BALLOON WHEN I PUNCH YOU IN THE GUT.
CTG: oh god stop talking about my lips thats the second time
CTG: ok youre clearly gay and youve probably got some issues about it dude
CTG: john just a heads up in the future i think youre gonna spurn one of his awkward advances
CEB: uh oh!

As for easymode, even though none of the characters involved were my favourites, I really loved [S] Make her pay. Something about the way the art and music lined up in the first half was really memorable and great. The second half was pretty great for the simple reason of Vriska getting her rear end kicked, but the first half was just wow.

Idunn fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
For Hard Mode, I would have a hard time picking from any of the conversations that Dave and Terezi have.

Easy Mode, of course, is easy to pick. It's Vriska: Watch street tough maverick with nothing to lose, which comes out of absolutely nowhere, and absolutely killed me at the time.