Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

Stuface posted:

The fact that the President takes the censure over having the news about Leo come out is one of my favourite things in the whole show. Sounds pretty stupid in such a far reaching and impressive show, but it's just a pretty touching moment. This guy's the most powerful man in the world and he'll take a hit rather than let his best friend be dragged through the mud.

I remember the main reason he justified in doing it was that he was simply wrong and he never apologized for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
After marathoning the West Wing a couple of times..., watching Rob Lowe in Parks and Rec is pretty jarring, but hilarious. I never watched Brothers and Sisters, so it's the first role I've seen him play after Sam. Watching the face of Sam Seaborne staring into a mirror and saying "Stop. Pooping." is really just one of the simple joys in life.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Stuface posted:

The fact that the President takes the censure over having the news about Leo come out is one of my favourite things in the whole show. Sounds pretty stupid in such a far reaching and impressive show, but it's just a pretty touching moment. This guy's the most powerful man in the world and he'll take a hit rather than let his best friend be dragged through the mud.

He's actually taking a hit because he did something wrong and wont let his friend go down for him. Subtle difference.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Why does it not surprise me that the episode when the press call CJ gay was written by Bradley?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I happened to have some of 'Stirred' (3-17) flash through my mind yesterday and spent a few minutes wondering how awesome it would have been to get Admiral Sissymary as V-POTUS.
And then I realised that the most awesome of all would have been to get Nancy McNally on the ticket. I mean, Hoynes showed his worth, drumming up support for Bartlett on a few occasions, but imagine the poor first term senator daring to deviate from the party line who gets a personal visit from McNally.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Episode 5-3, Jefferson Lives, really pisses me off. Simply because of the continuity error that comes from shoe-horning 4th of July celebrations into it.

It was established that Zoey was kidnapped on the 7th of May through the note she left Charlie about the champagne bottle at the arboretum.

And now everybody is going around like it's only been a few days, Zoey's bruises aren't even healed, they haven't found a Vice President, and it's two loving months later! What the hell is that?!

I could maybe understand it if the episode was originally broadcast on the 9/11, but it was on a month later!

Pisses me off, it does.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
If that makes your head spin, try figuring out the late season 5 and early season 6 timeline in a fashion that makes sense.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

I just finished up my trip through West Wing land this year. I can authoritatively say that it jumps the shark/nukes the fridge when they kill Fitz. The End.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo

TheBigBad posted:

I just finished up my trip through West Wing land this year. I can authoritatively say that it jumps the shark/nukes the fridge when they kill Fitz. The End.

Season 5 is terrible and the beginning of Season 6 isn't great. However, the end of Season 6 and the entirety of Season 7 is amazing. I hope you watched through the end of the series?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

scr0llwheel posted:

Season 5 is terrible and the beginning of Season 6 isn't great. However, the end of Season 6 and the entirety of Season 7 is amazing. I hope you watched through the end of the series?

The problem with those parts of the show is that anything that had to do with the West Wing was loving boring. I skip ahead to the campaign parts.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo

Mu Zeta posted:

The problem with those parts of the show is that anything that had to do with the West Wing was loving boring. I skip ahead to the campaign parts.

Good point. The shuttle subplot was horrible.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah I've watched the entire series at least 3 times now (Season 1-4 more than that), and the show I want to watch is CJ being flustered, The President and Charlie trading quips and being snarky, Donna getting the best of Josh at every exchange, Leo looking at you sternly until you realize you just TMI'd and Toby being :colbert: and yelling. Also Ainsley > *

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

TheBigBad posted:

Yeah I've watched the entire series at least 3 times now (Season 1-4 more than that), and the show I want to watch is CJ being flustered, The President and Charlie trading quips and being snarky, Donna getting the best of Josh at every exchange, Leo looking at you sternly until you realize you just TMI'd and Toby being :colbert: and yelling. Also Ainsley > *

They really trash Toby and CJ's (especially Toby) characters in the last season - I love the campaign, but it's sad that the writers couldn't come up with a better reason to cut Toby's episodes down instead of having him do something completely out of character...I dunno. I still enjoy it, but it's sorta disappointing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

TheBigBad posted:

Yeah, when it comes right down to it, you're absolutely right. The campaign stuff in seasons 6 and 7 are a very good show, but it's not The West WingTM to me anymore. I love watching it, but when I talk about how much I love The West Wing, I'm always thinking about the first 4 seasons.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
I know I'm in the minority but I liked the dynamic of CJ being the CoS and Leo pottering around in the background. I would have been happy with an extra season in there of the cast staying in those roles as it would have hopefully still been entertaining with just that switch up. However CJ moving up was just the start of the shuffle that left CJ, Charlie and the cat pretty much running the entire building by the end of season 7. The "problem" was just how fast it changed from what it had been to the campaign storyline.

The campaign storyline even ran off with Annabeth when everyone knows every episode with her and CJ side by side in the corridor was great TV. "It's hard to believe we're the same species!" :v:

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Season 7 was easily as good as anything in the first four. Just very different.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Fazana posted:

I know I'm in the minority but I liked the dynamic of CJ being the CoS and Leo pottering around in the background. I would have been happy with an extra season in there of the cast staying in those roles as it would have hopefully still been entertaining with just that switch up. However CJ moving up was just the start of the shuffle that left CJ, Charlie and the cat pretty much running the entire building by the end of season 7. The "problem" was just how fast it changed from what it had been to the campaign storyline.

The campaign storyline even ran off with Annabeth when everyone knows every episode with her and CJ side by side in the corridor was great TV. "It's hard to believe we're the same species!" :v:

I appreciate it for the sake of the characters, but the drama and performance gets wrecked. I always attributed the overhaul to Sorkins departure,but I'm beginning to wonder if Rob Lowe had a bigger impact than anyone would really acknowledge. Without him to center things in the west wing, in the communications dept it feels like they had to go somewhere else.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Will sucking big time was a big problem for me. I hated him so much.

Andaley
Apr 7, 2011

Season seven has been a life-saver for me on multiple occasions. Used a big chunk of it (from about the point where Donna joins the team) to distract myself through two cross-country flights (I hate flying). My enjoyment of the show was only halted by my lack of battery life at the end of the flights!

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

gohuskies posted:

Aw I love Will, but I hate that he went to work for the VP - I wanted Toby to keep picking on him while begrudgingly realize that he wasn't so bad. :3: I think I'm probably in the minority, but I also liked his awkwardsauce relationship in the last season with whats-her-face military lady.

marchantia fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 10, 2011

Andaley
Apr 7, 2011

marchantia posted:

I think I'm probably in the minority, but I also liked his awkwardsauce relationship in the last season with whats-her-face military lady.

If you're in the minority, then I'm right there with you. I thought the relationship angle was cute.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Reading through this thread reminded me that the "Crime, boy I don't know" line never really made sense to me. I just can't imagine a reason that anyone would have to say it like that. Were they only implying he was stupid? Or that he didn't believe the story or something?

It really just seems like a line that makes no sense even in context of the character.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

gohuskies posted:

It was interesting how in the space of a season he went from an idealistic hero campaigning (and winning) with a dead candidate, to settling for Bingo Bob. He just seems like two different characters- the first I liked, the second one I hated. Also his voice was annoying- it sounded perpetually whiny.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
I find myself asking from time to time while watching the news, "What would Josiah Bartlett do?"

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Superrodan posted:

Reading through this thread reminded me that the "Crime, boy I don't know" line never really made sense to me. I just can't imagine a reason that anyone would have to say it like that. Were they only implying he was stupid? Or that he didn't believe the story or something?

It really just seems like a line that makes no sense even in context of the character.
Ritchie is needling the president about his liberal, "soft-on-crime" position being perhaps responsible for things like secret service agents getting shot in convenience store robberies.

WoG fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Nov 12, 2011

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.

Plucky Brit posted:

It was interesting how in the space of a season he went from an idealistic hero campaigning (and winning) with a dead candidate, to settling for Bingo Bob. He just seems like two different characters- the first I liked, the second one I hated. Also his voice was annoying- it sounded perpetually whiny.

Also hate his justification going there, that Leo and the President much of saw greatness in Bob Russell. Even thought he knew from the very start he was the Republican's pick because he'd never get elected.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Midnight- posted:

Also hate his justification going there, that Leo and the President much of saw greatness in Bob Russell. Even thought he knew from the very start he was the Republican's pick because he'd never get elected.

I don't think anyone ever actually told him that, he genuinely thought that the White House had picked Russell as VP because they saw something in him.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

HanabaL03 posted:

I find myself asking from time to time while watching the news, "What would Josiah Bartlett do?"

I find its much more interesting to ask 'What would Margaret do?'

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

BklynBruzer posted:

I don't think anyone ever actually told him that, he genuinely thought that the White House had picked Russell as VP because they saw something in him.

But he and Toby wrote that joke speech about how terrible he is, how mediocre and all that (the speech that accidentally ended up on the teleprompter). So Will knew he was an idiot.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

WoG posted:

Ritchie is needling the president about his liberal, "soft-on-crime" position being perhaps responsible for things like secret service agents getting shot in convenience store robberies.

Wow, I did not get that. I just thought Bartlett wanted to beat him because he seemed stupider than dirt with that answer.

I don't think I'm cut out to be a politician :shobon:

Captain Equinox
Sep 15, 2005

By day a mild-mannered college professor, by night Kiki, go-go dancer at the Pussycat Club. But twice a year, he's... CAPTAIN EQUINOX!

brylcreem posted:

Wow, I did not get that. I just thought Bartlett wanted to beat him because he seemed stupider than dirt with that answer.

I don't think I'm cut out to be a politician :shobon:

I'm with you, I thought Ritchie was essentially saying, "Crime - wow that's a horrible problem and I really have no idea what to do about it."

If he had his own agenda on it, Bartlet would have respected that, but since he's just an idiot that wants to be president - gently caress 'im.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Captain Equinox posted:

I'm with you, I thought Ritchie was essentially saying, "Crime - wow that's a horrible problem and I really have no idea what to do about it."

If he had his own agenda on it, Bartlet would have respected that, but since he's just an idiot that wants to be president - gently caress 'im.

He was painted as an obvious caricature of Bush jr.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Which season was it where Josh and Toby get into a fist fight in an office? Man that was retarded.

Also I'm re-watching some of the season 6 episodes and I forgot how great Alan Alda was on the show. One of my favorite scenes is just him and Bartlett having a conversation while eating ice cream and Aaron Sorkin had nothing to do with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulk3hDwxnmg

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 13, 2011

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Mu Zeta posted:

Which season was it where Josh and Toby get into a fist fight in an office? Man that was retarded.

Season 6 episode Drought Conditions, which other than the 30 second fight scene is a great episode.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I'm about to head deep into Season 5 in my latest rewatch. Someone please say some kind words over my remains if I'm unable to survive.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just finished 'Separation of Powers'. My god, that "boom boom bang!" at the end is stupid! And what's with the lighting and camera work?!

Matthew Perry did great, though.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

gohuskies posted:

I can't stand the actor on anything, I didn't like him in Sports Night either. He always comes off like some guy they grabbed from the street 5 minutes before production because another actor quit. His character in The West Wing wasn't particularly well written either and bounces around all over the place while they struggled to find footing after the Sorkin blowup. Worst of all they replaced a good principle cast member with him and I've always felt Rob Lowe was one of the best parts of the show. It's kind of funny because I had never liked Rob Lowe in pretty much anything until TWW.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

jeffersonlives posted:

Season 6 episode Drought Conditions, which other than the 30 second fight scene is a great episode.

Then I guess I'm in the minority thinking that fight scene was not stupid at all. The whole situation was built up to pretty well, since Toby had been pissed off at Josh for quite a while. It's not really a "fist-fight" either. I don't know, I've never been in a fight except once with one of my friends, and the situation looked and developed pretty much like this one.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

DominoDancing posted:

Then I guess I'm in the minority thinking that fight scene was not stupid at all. The whole situation was built up to pretty well, since Toby had been pissed off at Josh for quite a while. It's not really a "fist-fight" either. I don't know, I've never been in a fight except once with one of my friends, and the situation looked and developed pretty much like this one.

I agree. It's set up quite nicely over the seasons that Toby & Josh get along (just about) in a professional relationship, but that that's the extent of it (see '20 Hours In America' for the most concrete proof).
They also have very different motivations for what they do. Josh feels more responsibility towards Leo, while Toby's intentions are always more influenced by ideology than politics (consider his political career prior to Bartlet).

Leo explicitly tells Josh to go and find a candidate who's worthy of being President, but he doesn't mention Toby. Toby's pride (["Are you good at it?"] "Yeah, I'm very good at it.") means he'd never quit Bartlet's administration or ask Josh if he could join in, but that doesn't mean he isn't seething about being overlooked. He was part of the reason Josh decided to sign on with Bartlet (["You said he should piss off the dairy farmers."] "I said he should, if only because it's the easiest thing to remember, tell the truth.") and my guess is that he remembers that quite well. He's pissed off because Josh doesn't recognise that fact.

I think it actually works better for Santos that Toby isn't officially part of his staff. Toby worked well for Bartlet because he's the morally pure angel/demon on his shoulder, but Santos is - from what we're shown - someone who's pragmatically, rather than dogmatically, Christian. poo poo, Santos is based on Obama. Can you imagine someone like Toby working for Obama?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

kingturnip posted:

Can you imagine someone like Toby working for Obama?

What do you mean imagine?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rahm_Emanuel

• Locked thread