Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andenalli
Sep 17, 2007

I'm unique, just like
everyone else

endolithic posted:

In ToTT, has anyone noticed if there's a consequence (such as a friendship hit) for just not showing up to the cooking competitions? I know you can just sit back and watch, but it'd be nice if I could speed things up and just go to bed early.

Just participating in the cooking competition by watching contributes to the mayor's reconciliation (heart meter thingy) and thus, the tunnel being cleared. Also, it's worth it in year 1 to lose the cooking competition because the mayor will give you a seed you can't get until year 2 as a consolation prize. And after you get that seed, the seed store will start selling it!

I don't think anyone gets mad if you don't show, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

anivasion posted:

Just participating in the cooking competition by watching contributes to the mayor's reconciliation (heart meter thingy) and thus, the tunnel being cleared. Also, it's worth it in year 1 to lose the cooking competition because the mayor will give you a seed you can't get until year 2 as a consolation prize. And after you get that seed, the seed store will start selling it!

I don't think anyone gets mad if you don't show, though.

Thanks. Yeah, I know about the watching upping the heart meter, that's part of why I don't want to go. :v: You can't upgrade your farm and open the tunnel at the same time, so I'd rather they hate each other for now.

Harvest Moon: Manipulating people's emotions for fun and profit.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Alright guys I need to get back into an HM game, I just don't know which one to choose!

I'm personally thinking either RF:Frontier or RF:Tides of Destiny, I have played a little Frontier before and really liked almost everything about it (besides the runey system), but I'd like to hear thoughts and differences.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Reive posted:

I'm personally thinking either RF:Frontier or RF:Tides of Destiny, I have played a little Frontier before and really liked almost everything about it (besides the runey system), but I'd like to hear thoughts and differences.

Go with Tides, it doesn't have the Runey system. If you have a means of using Ocarina codes on your Wii though, Frontier is totally worth the effort.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
The Runey system isn't that bad, it adds one more micro-management thing to do in a game that's pretty much completely micro-management. Yeah, it's not implemented great, but it's not the big gamebreaker everyone makes it out to be.

That said, I'd probably still go with Tides.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Tides is pretty rad. I actually really like the ocean combat. Beat the third dungeon recently, and that boss was leagues harder than the prior ones. If you are playing close combat like I was, be prepared for a long slugfest. Then again, that boss is also awesome, and I wish I could have him for an ally just to hear him attack monsters.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

endolithic posted:

Thanks. Yeah, I know about the watching upping the heart meter, that's part of why I don't want to go. :v: You can't upgrade your farm and open the tunnel at the same time, so I'd rather they hate each other for now.

Harvest Moon: Manipulating people's emotions for fun and profit.

You may already know this too, but you also want to watch your love interests meters. As soon as you get to a marriage level, Eileen will offer the bed upgrade which replaces farm upgrades just like the tunnel. And then when you get married she does the same thing with the second upgrade so you can have a kid.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
I understand this question is asked frequently, (in fact I can see that five posts above me that Reive asks the same thing.) but I feel I have somewhat unique circumstances.

I do not own a Nintendo DS, but I am really feeling nostalgic for some Harvest moon. What game should I pick up? I have already played the 64 one, BTN and the original to death.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

CharismaticHorsey posted:

I understand this question is asked frequently, (in fact I can see that five posts above me that Reive asks the same thing.) but I feel I have somewhat unique circumstances.

I do not own a Nintendo DS, but I am really feeling nostalgic for some Harvest moon. What game should I pick up? I have already played the 64 one, BTN and the original to death.

What kind of system you got, mate?

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

What kind of system you got, mate?

I have a ps2, wii and psp available.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

For the Wii, I would recommend either Tree of Tranquility or Animal Parade. I enjoyed Tree of Tranquility more for some reason (controls felt better to me in that), but Animal Parade has a lot more stuff and is also harder.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Akarshi posted:

For the Wii, I would recommend either Tree of Tranquility or Animal Parade. I enjoyed Tree of Tranquility more for some reason (controls felt better to me in that), but Animal Parade has a lot more stuff and is also harder.

What about Tides for Wii? It's essentially a less pretty analogue to the PS3 version, right?

Also, anyone have an opinion on Innocent Life? I know they released that on the PSP, and later on the PS2.

Andenalli
Sep 17, 2007

I'm unique, just like
everyone else
I would recommend Animal Parade too, if only for the fact they slowed time down to a large degree and it could help you to get back into Harvest Moon, but it's also quite a massive game. And both Animal Parade and Tree of Tranquility have plots beyond simple farming and getting to know the townsfolk. Animal Parade is my favorite HM game for what it's worth. ToT loading screens are ridiculous and they seemed to have fixed it a bit for AP. (I loved ToT too though)

I know nothing about the Rune games, but they seem to be very popular around here so you might enjoy them too.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

What about Tides for Wii? It's essentially a less pretty analogue to the PS3 version, right?

They're exactly the same. Tides is also an amazing game, though it's pretty much the "shortest" (and close to the easiest) of the Rune games.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Also, anyone have an opinion on Innocent Life? I know they released that on the PSP, and later on the PS2.

Don't get Innocent Life. It is convoluted and kind of just plain and...boring. It's the only game in the Harvest Moon line including the Rune Factory line I have that I'm not willing to take the time to finish.

Midrena
May 2, 2009
Natsume FB message:

quote:

We wanted to tell our faithful followers the news first! Harvest Moon: The Tale of Two Towns 3D will be available starting November 1st. Watch for a pre-order coming soon to the Natsume Store~

Good news for those waiting for the 3D version.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Midrena posted:

Natsume FB message:

Good news for those waiting for the 3D version.
Wait, this isn't good news. It was October 25th before. Or is that just for the Natsume store?

This is so obnoxious. I should have just bought the DS version.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Seriously? I also thought it was still the 25th. God dammit. I had better be getting an alpaca still.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

Star Guarded posted:

Wait, this isn't good news. It was October 25th before.

Ah, for some reason I thought it was unknown still.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So in Tides, is there any trick to haggling? Does an increase in the skill make it more likely to succeed or increase the amount? At this point all I do is try to haggle 3 times, if it goes up, I sell, otherwise, I just cancel out to the main shop menu, hit sell again, and try again until I succeed. Seems like it's an interesting system but since you just randomly mash the stick in a direction with little to no feedback, and there's no penalty for trying until you make it work, seems a little tacked on.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Palleon posted:

So in Tides, is there any trick to haggling? Does an increase in the skill make it more likely to succeed or increase the amount? At this point all I do is try to haggle 3 times, if it goes up, I sell, otherwise, I just cancel out to the main shop menu, hit sell again, and try again until I succeed. Seems like it's an interesting system but since you just randomly mash the stick in a direction with little to no feedback, and there's no penalty for trying until you make it work, seems a little tacked on.

You got it.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Some people also seem easier then others. I always sell to Lily and Odette, and Bismark can get bent.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Really liking Tides so far. Dug up a couple of islands, and a big-rear end head I had to throw back. I think I'm on about Spring 20.

I like the whole magicking up a load of plants and having minions take care of everything for cookies. Got the first island up to like 88% or something too.

The golem is brilliant, and I'm glad there's a godzilla infestation because it's great fun beating them silly. His 'eyebrows' are excellent.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Been playing Tides, at the second dungeon now, decided to stop for a bit and try Frontier again.

Loving Tides by the way, I just went back to Frontier because Tides really laid back approach to everything made me kinda miss regular farms and fields.

Not having the GPS & know where everyone is map is going to make me memorize schedules again, maybe, but I'm not sure yet if I'm going to continue playing both in tandem or not.

Also is there anyway to exploit the runey system?
I'm just lazy, I'll force myself to figure it out the right way if I have to though, speaking of lazy did this one have harvester monsters as well? I figure if I can harvest without wasting my time the runeys won't be so bad.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Reive posted:

Also is there anyway to exploit the runey system?
I'm just lazy, I'll force myself to figure it out the right way if I have to though, speaking of lazy did this one have harvester monsters as well? I figure if I can harvest without wasting my time the runeys won't be so bad.

The only 'exploit' is a grass factory and that still takes time and effort to establish. There are harvester monsters in Frontier, but I don't think you're going to make much money from them if you can't keep the grass growing ( if you let runeys die out it won't grow :v: ).

E: If you have archives here is what people told me when I first got the game a couple of years ago (scroll down).

Emalde fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Oct 21, 2011

Reive
May 21, 2009

Emalde posted:

The only 'exploit' is a grass factory and that still takes time and effort to establish. There are harvester monsters in Frontier, but I don't think you're going to make much money from them if you can't keep the grass growing ( if you let runeys die out it won't grow :v: ).

E: If you have archives here is what people told me when I first got the game a couple of years ago (scroll down).

Well I meant the time I'd normally take harvesting I could take sorting runeys.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

As I recall, Runeys were a pain in the butt, but it didn't take THAT long to keep them in check, once you got your system set up and had a routine established. The method Emalde linked is a good one, and it worked for me. I think it's worth reposting:

Maldraedior posted:

1. It rains a lot in summer, but you should still have some sun. Have Candy wish for a Sunny Week, I think it costs one rock, one tree and one grass Runey. You're gonna need some sunshine because most of the Runeys will go into hiding when it rains

2. Basic Runey maintenance is not too difficult and is only really time consuming if you're trying to push a bunch of areas into prosperity or you've let the populations spiral too far out of control. Hopefully you've stopped for the night and read this before starting again because you'll want to have made a bit of progress before the 20th and if you can get things stabilized before the end of the month you can take advantage of the grace period that happens during the first week. more on that after

BASIC RUNEY MECHANICS

The default pattern of Runey life is the food chain. Every day the Water Runeys will eat some of the Rock Runeys, and you will get about half as many new Water Runeys as Rock Runeys were eaten. The Rock Runeys eat the Tree Runeys and grow new Rock Runeys. The Tree Runeys eat the Grass Runeys and grow new Tree Runeys. The Grass Runeys do not eat anything. Grass Runey growth is based on the proportion of Grass Runeys to the total population of Runeys in the area. Basically, the more not-Grass Runeys in an area and the fewer Grass Runeys, the more Grass Runeys will grow. The important thing here is if there are 0 Runeys of a type no more will grow, so your first order of business(once you get some sun) is to run around to every area and hoover up as many Runeys as you can. Once you've done that check with Candy or use the machine in the clock tower and try to get a few of every type in every area. The lake is a bitch so I suggest throwing some extras out there. I don't know whether eating or growing happens first so try to get 6 or so of each and ride it out as best you can until

SPECIAL DAYS

on or around the 20th of each season there will be a huge growth spurt of whatever type that area is affiliated with(you can see this on the distribution map, Mist's is Grass, the beach is water, etc). In the future you'll want to make sure you don't have that type maxed out and miss it but this time through this burst is what is gonna help you pull back up so you can get some real work done. The other special time is during the first week of each season. The food chain stops and all populations of Runey grow by a few each day, so the important thing is to just make sure there are a few of each type and get your farm organized. The homestead doesn't seem to follow the food chain. Runeys just grow, and the more crops you have planted the more Runeys will grow, so don't neglect your farming

GRASS FACTORIES

grass factories are the key to raising Runey populations. If you have enough Grass Runeys and can keep the world's Water Runeys in check the other types will fall in line. Pick somewhere convenient and small(Mist's place is best but the beach and Town Square make good backups) and suck out every Tree Runey and as many Rocks as you can. Leave 10 or so Grass and dump as many water as you have. If you're short you can throw out a few Rocks, but the idea here is to get about 10 Grass and 60 not-Grass(or Tree). The next day you should have about 10 less not-Grass and about 10 more Grass. Siphon off the new Grass and go collect a few waters from other areas to reset the grass factory.

PROSPERITY

Prosperity is the end goal of Runey balancing. An area in in prosperity when you have at least 35 of each Runey type. Prosperity will cause your crops to grow faster. One area in prosperity is enough to cause your grass to regrow every day. Two is enough to completely break the economy. The important part now though is that Prosperity shuts off the food chain for that area. Instead, Grass will drop by two every day, but all other Runey types will skyrocket up to the max of 60. Once you've got one grass factory and one area in prosperity you can stabilize the rest of the world in a week.

Every day after your farm work quickly suck up any big groups of Runeys. Run over to your grass factory and suck up any Grass(if you use Mist's you can just grab all the Runeys in the main area and leave the ones past the bridge, otherwise make sure you throw back a few Grasses.) Dump out any Water(once you've got plenty of Rock you might want to start doing a 40/20 mix, it will cut back on starvation deaths) and run to the Clock Tower. This is the easiest area to keep in Prosperity because the machine is right there. Suck up any Runeys outside the door and in the little clearing below. Check the machine and drop enough Runeys to bring the totals up to 36/36/36/40(Grass). Then, one area at a time bring all your totals up to 20.

Once you've got everything stabilized you'll have more Runeys than you know what to do with. You can keep working and bring more areas into prosperity, but all you HAVE to do is reset your factory every day, reset the Tower every other day, and balance out the other areas ONE TIME at the end of the month.

If anyone else comes back in they will suggest you hack your Wii and use the infinite Runey cheat, but it's not necessary and makes you a DIRTY CHEATER

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Harvest Moon 3DS: First Game Footage in case you wanted to see.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm still in the intro for Tides of Destiny and I am getting some SERIOUS Chrono Cross vibes from it. Love it. Wish the music was as good as CC's though.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
Been playing Tides on and off between homework and I have to say this game has been pure ambrosia for me so far. Everything about it is fun and addicting, I was especially surprised that monsters from those holy gates were different subspecies of their regular monster counterparts, with different harvests and everything. I'm at the fire shrine getting my rear end kicked but atleast now I have 3 boss trolls pumping out gold ore so I can upgrade my junk well beyond what I should have at this point.

The game is pretty brutal though. Monster melees get messy very quickly especially when spell-casters come into play, and I've died pretty often in this current dungeon going from full health to stunlocked to dead in a matter of seconds. I usually didn't avoid fighting things up until this point and I know that's going to hurt me when I come up against the boss, underleveled and underskilled. How have you guys been dealing with this dungeon? Ranged attacks?

I'm a spear-user by the way, I like to spam the spikes rune ability on gates when enemies are downwind, and the spear ultimate is nice just for the long-as-gently caress invincibility you get while performing the move. My other weapons aren't very far along skill-wise, and I've barely touched staffs.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
So I played Tides on my Wii a bit before deciding to try it on Dolphin.

I played through the entire opening again only to have the emulator freeze literally 10 seconds before I reached the dairy to save the game. :suicide:

Is there anyway to copy save games from the Wii and have Dolphin recognize it?

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

I'm not far in the game and have been avoiding spoilers, but it's no secret you get to choose to play as Sonja at some point. Do the skills and relationship points you build up earlier in the game carry over?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

eggrolled posted:

I'm not far in the game and have been avoiding spoilers, but it's no secret you get to choose to play as Sonja at some point. Do the skills and relationship points you build up earlier in the game carry over?

Yes. Everything does, from your stats to your relationships to your items.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN
Apr 27, 2010

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Vakal posted:

So I played Tides on my Wii a bit before deciding to try it on Dolphin.

I played through the entire opening again only to have the emulator freeze literally 10 seconds before I reached the dairy to save the game. :suicide:

Is there anyway to copy save games from the Wii and have Dolphin recognize it?

Ive found that running Dolphin, I had the best results with enable dual core on and lock to threads off. Also, running HLE with audio throttle off. The audio can get a little static-ish after a bit, but it doesn't get too bad.

Oh yeah, I also run it on OpenGL. Direct3D makes everything past a certain point go black.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What and where is the first animal that can be tamed to gather crops/ores? I've already got the key to the third shine and I haven't found one yet. I'm spending whole days gathering in my crops now and would love to offload all that tedium to a monster so I can go back to making friends and cracking skulls.

Office Thug posted:

The game is pretty brutal though. Monster melees get messy very quickly especially when spell-casters come into play, and I've died pretty often in this current dungeon going from full health to stunlocked to dead in a matter of seconds. I usually didn't avoid fighting things up until this point and I know that's going to hurt me when I come up against the boss, underleveled and underskilled. How have you guys been dealing with this dungeon? Ranged attacks?

I found that level makes a much larger difference than any gear choices. I ground the hell out of the first couple of areas to max out the spring island using only yellow runeys before doing anything else. I haven't had much trouble since except that some of the random islands are much higher level then the first floor of the shrine in that zone.

FWIW, I found the spear to be clumsy and switched to twin swords/katana/wind staff after the first shrine. Katana seems particularly boss, doing more damage per hit than two-handers with 10 more attack than the katana.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

LLSix posted:

What and where is the first animal that can be tamed to gather crops/ores? I've already got the key to the third shine and I haven't found one yet. I'm spending whole days gathering in my crops now and would love to offload all that tedium to a monster so I can go back to making friends and cracking skulls.

I found that level makes a much larger difference than any gear choices. I ground the hell out of the first couple of areas to max out the spring island using only yellow runeys before doing anything else. I haven't had much trouble since except that some of the random islands are much higher level then the first floor of the shrine in that zone.

FWIW, I found the spear to be clumsy and switched to twin swords/katana/wind staff after the first shrine. Katana seems particularly boss, doing more damage per hit than two-handers with 10 more attack than the katana.

Goblin archers can. Although I have just 1 on my spring island, with level 7 affection, and he can still only gather a tiny fraction of the crops in a given day, not sure if one at 10 can do the whole thing, or if you need 2 at full relationship to be able to do it. It's a shame there's kind of a huge dearth of information about this game after all this time.

Does anyone know which crops plant in which seasons? I can't find any simple way of figuring it out, I do enjoy the game, but I really feel like it's a huge step backwards from Rune Factory 3, they took away so much information (no idea what skills do, no way to see what you have in inventory when buying, no camera control). I do like the whole "spirit wand" planting, and the GPS map, but they really messed up in some of the more basic areas.

Also, I gotta disagree with you about level vs gear. In what I've found so far, it's just like every other Rune Factory, where the gear you craft ends up being a good 80-90% of your attack/defense values. I am still looking for the second shrine (cleared the first a while back), but my courage badge makes up a huge percentage of my defense, and that disparity is only going to get wider and wider as I am able to craft more and more things. You could probably beat the game at level one if you were able to craft the right gear first.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Palleon posted:

Does anyone know which crops plant in which seasons? I can't find any simple way of figuring it out, I do enjoy the game, but I really feel like it's a huge step backwards from Rune Factory 3, they took away so much information (no idea what skills do, no way to see what you have in inventory when buying, no camera control). I do like the whole "spirit wand" planting, and the GPS map, but they really messed up in some of the more basic areas.

As far as I can tell, crops aren't keyed to a seasonal island; except for the ores being restricted to winter. I can put the same monsters on both summer and spring islands anyways. The spring crops grow fine on summer. Haven't tried "summer" crops on the spring island though.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

LLSix posted:

I have an orc gathering crops on my Spring island. Can the same monsters that gather crops also gather ore? If they can, that would save me some time.

I usually don't worry about whether my gathering monster gets every little thing. I plant a bunch of sprouts, make sure to pet everybody every day, and then check in the storage bin after a few days to see what's there. If it seems like I'm getting a lot of bare spots in the field, I plant them again, but that's about all I do as far as farm micromanaging.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, poo poo. You can have monsters gathering stuff too? Was just thinking today that something like that would be wonderful. Is it just anything that doesn't produce things, or specific monsters? I've been chucking every monster that didn't have any produce to make so far. Need to make a trip back to the Fire Shrine for a fire fairy at some point too I guess. Silver Wolves make the most obnoxious noises all the time, I love it. And the elephants are great as well.

I've made an educated guess at where the next Shrine probably is going to be, I think I'm on the quest for the key at the moment, and I've made a guess at what element it's going to be. And the boss will probably be something weird. The bosses in this game are really strange.

That Staff skill, I think it's Level 3, is amazing. The speed-up is excellent for just zooming around Fenith Island. I guess 99 is the cap on skills? I've got walking up to that already, there really is a lot of running about.

Made myself some Icifiers, somehow they got a star even though it's like 20 levels of crafting higher than mine. So basically I've got a bunch of elemental and neutral dual-swords, and a bunch of different elemental staves, and whatever monsters I think are going to help. Usually big beefy meatshield types though, or some fairies.

I find it quite difficult to get into most Harvest Moon games, but the Rune Factory ones really click with me. I love that they're always trying new things with both though.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

McDragon posted:

Oh, poo poo. You can have monsters gathering stuff too? Was just thinking today that something like that would be wonderful. Is it just anything that doesn't produce things, or specific monsters? I've been chucking every monster that didn't have any produce to make so far. Need to make a trip back to the Fire Shrine for a fire fairy at some point too I guess. Silver Wolves make the most obnoxious noises all the time, I love it. And the elephants are great as well.

I've made an educated guess at where the next Shrine probably is going to be, I think I'm on the quest for the key at the moment, and I've made a guess at what element it's going to be. And the boss will probably be something weird. The bosses in this game are really strange.

That Staff skill, I think it's Level 3, is amazing. The speed-up is excellent for just zooming around Fenith Island. I guess 99 is the cap on skills? I've got walking up to that already, there really is a lot of running about.

Made myself some Icifiers, somehow they got a star even though it's like 20 levels of crafting higher than mine. So basically I've got a bunch of elemental and neutral dual-swords, and a bunch of different elemental staves, and whatever monsters I think are going to help. Usually big beefy meatshield types though, or some fairies.

When you look at the monster book, it tells you the type, Crop is the type that plants, Harvest will collect (either Orc or Goblin Archer will Harvest, can get them pretty early).

• Locked thread