Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

japtor posted:

I think that's one of the ones I used, it was an interesting/messy time of MP3 player development. I'm not sure I even knew it was a public release at the time...I bet I got it through a Hotline server or something.

Yeah, I still use Audion, except it somehow broke in 10.4. It works fine in os9, but a [different] install in 10.4.11 refuses to work. I'm not sure what the deal is: I tried removing everything audion related in ~/Library, but it just freezes at start. It's strange, I'm not sure what the deal is, but if anyone knows what the hell, I'd appreciate the advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Sometimes on my macbook pro with Lion I'll get a small box of horizontal stripes showing up on a random spot on a screen. This tends to happen more often when playing youtube videos, but it doesn't always happen, and it goes away if I alt-tab back and forth a few times. Am I going to have to take this in to replace the graphics card?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone else have icons just appear in their Finder toolbar out of nowhere?

I swear I don't remember dragging anything in there.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

yaoi prophet posted:

Sometimes on my macbook pro with Lion I'll get a small box of horizontal stripes showing up on a random spot on a screen. This tends to happen more often when playing youtube videos, but it doesn't always happen, and it goes away if I alt-tab back and forth a few times. Am I going to have to take this in to replace the graphics card?

I get that on my iMac at times. I blame flash.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Uh no, if you know what app that is I guess you should check out its settings to see if there's any "insert Finder shortcut" type thing.

...if you don't know, :tinfoil:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

japtor posted:

Uh no, if you know what app that is I guess you should check out its settings to see if there's any "insert Finder shortcut" type thing.

...if you don't know, :tinfoil:

Looks like Colloquy.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I've accidentally dropped things into the sidebar plenty of times, but never into the top area. Did you install or update Colloquy recently?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Probably just drag-and-dropped it there accidentally. I actually had no idea you could do that with the top bar, but it works. Command-drag removes them.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Oneiros posted:

Probably just drag-and-dropped it there accidentally. I actually had no idea you could do that with the top bar, but it works. Command-drag removes them.

I think I stumbled on this sometime way way back and probably just declared it useless and forgot about it.

It seems to work for any Finder item just as well, though nothing is labeled so its use for files and folders is questionable.

Edit: Wait! Ctrl-Click lets you switch to Icon & Text mode.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think that's a feature way back from NeXTSTEP, isn't it?

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Nut Bunnies posted:

I think that's a feature way back from NeXTSTEP, isn't it?

Yep. You can drag aliases to the Finder toolbar. In NeXTSTEP it was the shelf.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Lazyhound posted:

I've accidentally dropped things into the sidebar plenty of times, but never into the top area. Did you install or update Colloquy recently?

Haven't installed it recently, but yeah, I guess I must have dragged it there accidentally. I just can't think of when I would have actually had /Applications open in Finder since I launch everything through Spotlight :confused:

My brain must be going :(

(yes, it was colloquy)

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Supposedly someone got Siri working on an iPhone 4 and an iPod Touch 4:

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/29/siri-hacked-to-run-on-an-ipod-touch-and-iphone-4/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

edit: not the iOS thread.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I imported a short movie clip into iMovie '08, and I wanted to add a music clip to it. However when I dragged the audio clip into the top center cell I just get the music note icon and a gray dotted line. Not sure what to do next because it doesn't play along with the movie.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I downloaded a PDF map of the world with political boundaries and names from the CIA Factbook. Unsurprisingly, OS X allows PDFs as valid desktop wallpapers. But here's the thing that would make it really killer: Is it at all possible to zoom in on a PDF background? Then I could zoom around on my map and read labels in perfect clarity.

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 30, 2011

anagramarye
Jan 2, 2008

Array Age Man
Yech, that Winamp beta is like a black hole against my desktop. Way too dark. If they're going to stick with the custom theming, they should at least keep the high-contrast bright colors for the buttons and things to make any of it actually easy to see.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

What's the SHSC-preferred mp3 tag editor? I've been using a something called id3-tagit for years that's Windows-only and hasn't been updated since like 2005 or something. I don't really want something that does automatic reorganization (don't trust it), but if there's a tool that does that but also allows me to work manually that's fine. Stuff I want:

1. Select an album and do freedb lookups by track count / track length signature.
2. Move / rename based on id3 info, e.g. /<root>/<artist>/<album>/<track #> - <song title>.mp3
3. Deal with and convert between various text encodings.
4. Manually batch edit v1 and v2 tags.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
iTunes. I'm not joking.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES

frunksock posted:

What's the SHSC-preferred mp3 tag editor? I've been using a something called id3-tagit for years that's Windows-only and hasn't been updated since like 2005 or something. I don't really want something that does automatic reorganization (don't trust it), but if there's a tool that does that but also allows me to work manually that's fine. Stuff I want:

1. Select an album and do freedb lookups by track count / track length signature.
2. Move / rename based on id3 info, e.g. /<root>/<artist>/<album>/<track #> - <song title>.mp3
3. Deal with and convert between various text encodings.
4. Manually batch edit v1 and v2 tags.

Any recommendations? Thanks!
I've had a lot of luck using MusicBrainz Picard. It can use plugins if you don't like the default function AND it can do as much or as little as you want it to. It also searches based on unique signature of the file, so even if the tags are completely screwy it can usually figure out what it SHOULD be. It isn't perfect and there is a search option to correlate with.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

NerdPolice posted:

I've had a lot of luck using MusicBrainz Picard. It can use plugins if you don't like the default function AND it can do as much or as little as you want it to. It also searches based on unique signature of the file, so even if the tags are completely screwy it can usually figure out what it SHOULD be. It isn't perfect and there is a search option to correlate with.
Thank you. It looks like maybe I can work with this one.

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust

wolffenstein posted:

iTunes. I'm not joking.
last I checked, if you edit metadata in iTunes, it writes it to the iTunes library but not to the file itself, so if you move the file, the data gets lost. Is that still the case?

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
What's good virus/malware protection software for OSX?

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Funktor posted:

What's good virus/malware protection software for OSX?

You don't need one, but if it would really make you feel better, you can get ClamXav. Just don't pay for anything.

neolithic
Jan 10, 2005

He's a complicated man,
but no one understands
him but his woman.

x-virge posted:

Yep. You can drag aliases to the Finder toolbar. In NeXTSTEP it was the shelf.

This is great for dealing with Windows file server alias's. Thanks.

Also, I'm still not all that impressed with how OSX handles Windows shares - *clicks on server.... connecting....* etc. The alias in the Finder bar helps, but I kind of wanted a bunch of shares in the Favorites bar to kind of imitate permanently mapped shares I used to have in Windows...

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Cockwhore posted:

last I checked, if you edit metadata in iTunes, it writes it to the iTunes library but not to the file itself, so if you move the file, the data gets lost. Is that still the case?

Right-click on the track(s) in iTunes, choose "ConvertID3 tags..." and iTunes will write the metadata into the file(s), not just the library.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I was debating putting this in the hardware thread but I think it's more software related so.....

For the last year, I had an USB hard drive plugged directly into my iMac. This drive houses all of my torrent and media and showed up as a drive on the desktop called "Backup" (orange disk icon). Now that I've got my Time Capsule up and running, I decided I wanted to plug the drive into the TC so that it could live out of sight in my closest.

I've got everything plugged in, I'm able to browse to the drive (Finder -> dexter6's Time Capsule -> Backup) fine, however the drive does not show up "mounted" and on the desktop. As a result, uTorrent can find any of my files.

Is there any way to get it to act as it did before, or should I re-set everything in uTorrent and point all of the settings at the new path?

Thanks!

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Have you tried adding the drive to your login items? Drag it into the window to auto-mount it.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

beefnoodle posted:

Have you tried adding the drive to your login items? Drag it into the window to auto-mount it.

Sorry, forgot to mention that I have tried that. I get a finder window opened for the drive upon login, but no disk on the desktop and paths for torrents aren't resolving still.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

dexter6 posted:

Sorry, forgot to mention that I have tried that. I get a finder window opened for the drive upon login, but no disk on the desktop and paths for torrents aren't resolving still.

Check your finder preferences, there is a different checkbox for 'show external disks on the desktop' and 'show server mounts on the desktop'.

The drive should mount in the same location in UNIXland (i.e. /Volumes/Disk) as it did when you had USB if it is still named the same. Go to your /Volumes directory (using go to folder in the Finder Go menu) and see if your drive is there. If it's got a 1 on the end rebooting is the simplest way to fix that.

You should see where utorrent thinks the files are, and find the actual path the files are at, and see what's different about them. Not exactly sure how to get a pathname out of utorrent though.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

neolithic posted:

This is great for dealing with Windows file server alias's. Thanks.

Also, I'm still not all that impressed with how OSX handles Windows shares - *clicks on server.... connecting....* etc. The alias in the Finder bar helps, but I kind of wanted a bunch of shares in the Favorites bar to kind of imitate permanently mapped shares I used to have in Windows...
Tried adding them to login items like in the screenshot above? That might help a bit since it'll just mount them all at login rather than whenever you get around to clicking them. Otherwise are you adding the mounted shares themselves or address links? (not sure it it really makes a difference, but maybe it does once it's mounted)

chimz posted:

Check your finder preferences, there is a different checkbox for 'show external disks on the desktop' and 'show server mounts on the desktop'.

The drive should mount in the same location in UNIXland (i.e. /Volumes/Disk) as it did when you had USB if it is still named the same. Go to your /Volumes directory (using go to folder in the Finder Go menu) and see if your drive is there. If it's got a 1 on the end rebooting is the simplest way to fix that.

You should see where utorrent thinks the files are, and find the actual path the files are at, and see what's different about them. Not exactly sure how to get a pathname out of utorrent though.
If there is a 1 and there's a folder without it, i think just rebooting might not work if there's anything in that folder (such as if uTorrent already wrote to it). Like it'll still be there on startup, and the real volume will mount at "volume 1" again.

neolithic
Jan 10, 2005

He's a complicated man,
but no one understands
him but his woman.

japtor posted:

Tried adding them to login items like in the screenshot above? That might help a bit since it'll just mount them all at login rather than whenever you get around to clicking them. Otherwise are you adding the mounted shares themselves or address links? (not sure it it really makes a difference, but maybe it does once it's mounted)

Basically everytime you sleep the Mac they all get dismounted. As far as I've been able to search there is no reliable/easy method to keep permanent Windows share mounts. I just have a bunch of Alias links now which works a bit quicker, I guess.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

chimz posted:

It shows up in volumes with the same name. Turns out I just had to restart torrents to make them refresh.

However, my wife sees a folder icon with a red badge (not a disk) when she logs into her user account and cannot access files. I tried changing the permissions of the mount on my side but it said I did not have access. What now?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

neolithic posted:

Basically everytime you sleep the Mac they all get dismounted. As far as I've been able to search there is no reliable/easy method to keep permanent Windows share mounts. I just have a bunch of Alias links now which works a bit quicker, I guess.
Someone a while back posted about some app/script that automatically checked and remounted stuff as needed, so look around for that if they don't post about it here again.

dexter6 posted:

It shows up in volumes with the same name. Turns out I just had to restart torrents to make them refresh.

However, my wife sees a folder icon with a red badge (not a disk) when she logs into her user account and cannot access files. I tried changing the permissions of the mount on my side but it said I did not have access. What now?
Are you sharing the whole disk or did you set up separate user accounts in the AirDisk stuff in AirPort Utility?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

japtor posted:

Are you sharing the whole disk or did you set up separate user accounts in the AirDisk stuff in AirPort Utility?
The whole disk was shared before when I had it plugged directly into my iMac. I haven't changed any settings in Airport since then. Just plugged it into the Time Capsule.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

dexter6 posted:

The whole disk was shared before when I had it plugged directly into my iMac. I haven't changed any settings in Airport since then. Just plugged it into the Time Capsule.
Well I mention it cause last time I messed with AirDisk it does permissions by giving each user a folder on the drive, rather than the usual OS X permissions.

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

dexter6 posted:

I've got everything plugged in, I'm able to browse to the drive (Finder -> dexter6's Time Capsule -> Backup)

It sounds like you set this up as a Time Machine backup disk and not just a plain AirPort disk.

http://www.zisman.ca/Articles/2009/LEM-Airdisk/airdisk.html

Action Saxxon
Dec 21, 2004

Please be Baaaaack.
Can anyone recommend a good image sorting program? I've been using Adobe Bridge plus finder windows to sort my photo DVDs but figure there's got to be a better way than this. Usually I'm sorting 500-1,500 4-5+ MB photos and putting them into dozens of different folders.

Thanks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Lightroom/Aperture comes to mind. So does photomechanic.

It really depends on what you mean by "sorting". Are you trying to index your photos so you don't have to go looking through folders to find what you want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Action Saxxon posted:

Can anyone recommend a good image sorting program? I've been using Adobe Bridge plus finder windows to sort my photo DVDs but figure there's got to be a better way than this. Usually I'm sorting 500-1,500 4-5+ MB photos and putting them into dozens of different folders.

Thanks.

Yeah, programs like Lightroom and Aperture were made for this. Also with both of them you have a "Library" (Adobe calls it a Catalog but it's the same thing). This means the library can contain lots more metadata about your photos than the filesystem can store. You can make smart albums and tag photos and do on the fly searches.

I personally prefer Lightroom, but you should download the free trials of both and try them out.

Also you should watch these videos Scott Kelby did about "100 ways Adobe Lightroom kicks Adobe Bridge's rear end".

http://www.photoshopuser.com/lightroom