Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson. It's just about him traveling around England and making humorous observations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

squeee posted:

I am interested in anything that is set in England. Having just recently finished reading The Queen Mother by William Shawcross I feel like I need something to satisfy the anglophile in me. I am open to any writing genre/style except for criminal/mystery. Anything with England as it's backdrop would be greatly appreciated!

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro is excellent and was made into an great movie with Anthony Hopkins as well.

The Quincunx by Charles Palliser - This was recommended in TBB years ago. Rather good and incredibly detailed about the time period it takes place in (Victorian England). It does get a bit convoluted (the plot revolves around an inheritance connected to several different families) and I had trouble finishing it just because it gets pretty grim and depressing even for me - reading about Victorian-era poverty in the East End of London gets tough to take after a while. :suicide:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

squeee posted:

I am interested in anything that is set in England. Having just recently finished reading The Queen Mother by William Shawcross I feel like I need something to satisfy the anglophile in me. I am open to any writing genre/style except for criminal/mystery. Anything with England as it's backdrop would be greatly appreciated!

You don't get more English than Jane Austen.

For fantasy, try Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norell.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

an ode to the artisans of
luxury, a willed madness,
a fabulous dinosaur...

squeee posted:

Well, of course there are millions of books set in England, but the first one that came to my mind was Snobs by Julian Fellowes. Good story set in modern England.

If you are interested in older periods, Howard's End by E. M. Forster is wonderful for turn of the century England. Evelyn Waugh is a must, covering the 20's, 30's and 40's (esp. Vile Bodies, Handful of Dust, Brideshead Revisited).

Captain Kickass
Jan 12, 2007

by angerbeet
Can anyone recommend a good biography? I prefer historical figures or sports stars, and would like something written somewhat recently (last 10 years or so).

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Some bios I've enjoyed recently.

Martin Brookes's Extreme Measures: The Dark Visions and Bright Ideas of Francis Galton

Ruth Harris's Dreyfus—Politics, Emotion, and the Scandal of the Century, a scholarly history of the Dreyfus affair

Eric Foner's The Fiery Trial: Abraham Lincoln and American Slavery

Randal Keynes's Darwin, His Daughter and Human Evolution

Gillian Gill's Nightingales: The Extraordinary Upbringing and Curious Life of Miss Florence Nightingale

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Captain Kickass posted:

Can anyone recommend a good biography? I prefer historical figures or sports stars, and would like something written somewhat recently (last 10 years or so).

Edmund Morris' Theodore Roosevelt trilogy, beginning with Theodore Rising.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Sports:
- Pistol: The Life of Pete Maravich (Mark Kriegel)
- Maravich (Wayne Federman, Marshall Terrill and Jackie Maravich): not quite as good as the previous, but you can't go wrong with either
- The Black Prince of Baseball: Hal Chase and the Mythology of the Game (Don Dewey)
- The Big Bam: The Life and Times of Babe Ruth (Leigh Montville)

Non-sports:
- Kingfish: The Reign of Huey P. Long (Richard White): skims the surface of things for the most part, but it's enough to get a good understanding of Long.
- King Edward VIII: A Life (Philip Ziegler): a little earlier than what you're looking for, but if you're interested in books on royalty, this one is pretty in-depth.

Captain Kickass
Jan 12, 2007

by angerbeet

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Sports:
- Pistol: The Life of Pete Maravich (Mark Kriegel)
- Maravich (Wayne Federman, Marshall Terrill and Jackie Maravich): not quite as good as the previous, but you can't go wrong with either
- The Black Prince of Baseball: Hal Chase and the Mythology of the Game (Don Dewey)
- The Big Bam: The Life and Times of Babe Ruth (Leigh Montville)

Non-sports:
- Kingfish: The Reign of Huey P. Long (Richard White): skims the surface of things for the most part, but it's enough to get a good understanding of Long.
- King Edward VIII: A Life (Philip Ziegler): a little earlier than what you're looking for, but if you're interested in books on royalty, this one is pretty in-depth.

I've actually read The Big Bam. Fantastic in-depth biography. But I'll have to check some of these out (as well as some in the post a little ways up). Thanks!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Space Monster posted:

So I just read the Old Man's War series by John Scalzi and after reading I have frankly lost my taste for reading anything that isn't Old Man's War, The Ghost Brigades, or The Last Colony and it's killing my usual 'anything fantasy/sci fi that isn't badly written' buzz.

You'll be happy to hear about Scalzi's new book then!

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/10/cover-reveal-for-john-scalzis-redshirts

It sounds hilarious.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I'm looking for some Christmas themed books (it's never too early!). I don't want the usual sappy Christmas novels about love and joy and all that poo poo. I would rather read something darker, or humerous.

I have already found:

Hogfather, by Terry Pratchett
Holidays on Ice, by David Sedaris

What else have you got, BB?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror by Christopher Moore. Christmas Zombies!

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror by Christopher Moore. Christmas Zombies!

I didn't find the humour in the summary of that book funny at all, but I was not aware that it had Christmas Zombies! I will have to check it out now. Thanks.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Koth posted:

I didn't find the humour in the summary of that book funny at all, but I was not aware that it had Christmas Zombies! I will have to check it out now. Thanks.

Yeah, it's a weird sort of situational humor. MY WIFE can't read Christopher Moore's stuff without rolling on the floor, I find it vaguely amusing, I know other folks who don't think he's funny at all. So your personal mileage may vary.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Wasn't sure where else to post this question, but is anyone familiar with Paul Auster's work? Any particular novels that might be worth trying? I read about him in a critical essay I've been reading and he sounded kind of interesting but he doesn't seem well known enough to have a stand-out work to start with.

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

Koth posted:

I'm looking for some Christmas themed books (it's never too early!). I don't want the usual sappy Christmas novels about love and joy and all that poo poo. I would rather read something darker, or humerous.

I have already found:

Hogfather, by Terry Pratchett
Holidays on Ice, by David Sedaris

What else have you got, BB?

If you haven't read it, you must read The Joyous Season by Patrick Dennis, one of the funniest books I've ever read.

It's about a precocious 10 year old boy (Kerry) and his sister whose parents split up during Christmas. A lot of the humor comes from Kerry trying to interpret the conversations of his parents and other adults. At one point his mother's friend complains that she thinks her effeminate husband might be a "laden homo sapien" (Kerry's interpretation). The Amazon reviews are pretty overwhelmingly positive, too.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Yeah, I've got a similar situation to Hieronymous Alloy - my fiancee thinks Moore is the funniest author alive, and if I read one of his books I'll smirk every once in a while. Pratchett is better, I think, but Moore's not all that bad.

Oh, and I hear the New York Trilogy is Auster's big work.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

z0331 posted:

Wasn't sure where else to post this question, but is anyone familiar with Paul Auster's work? Any particular novels that might be worth trying? I read about him in a critical essay I've been reading and he sounded kind of interesting but he doesn't seem well known enough to have a stand-out work to start with.

The New York trilogy is fantastic. Every other (2 or 3) Auster I've tried has been horrible.

Monocular
Jul 29, 2003

Sugartime Jones
I'm feeling sort of lost and out of control as far my life/career is going, and I'm looking for a novel where the protagonist is in the same position. Can anyone recommend a novel (or even non-fiction) about finding some sort of vocation or finding your place in life?

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Any recommendations for a primer on Buddhism? Primarily interested in India, not so much in China/Japan/Korea/other places. Looking for something that a dummy can understand.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

ShutteredIn posted:

The New York trilogy is fantastic. Every other (2 or 3) Auster I've tried has been horrible.

This is my take on Auster, too. The New York trilogy (esp. Ghosts) made me fall in love with him as an author. Other older works of his (say, written in the 1980s) aren't as good but are still worth reading -- In the Country of Last Things in particular is pretty good. But all of his newer stuff is dreck, and worse, repetitive dreck. I keep reading him because he's like an abusive boyfriend I can't quit (a really tedious abusive boyfriend who has the same fights over and over again), but don't be like me. Stick to his older work.

And anyone who wants to read a novel set in England should take a look at Michel Faber's The Crimson Petal and the White.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Monocular posted:

I'm feeling sort of lost and out of control as far my life/career is going, and I'm looking for a novel where the protagonist is in the same position. Can anyone recommend a novel (or even non-fiction) about finding some sort of vocation or finding your place in life?

It's a bit of a stretch, but Murakami's Wind-Up Bird Chronicle kind of fits the bill.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

ShutteredIn posted:

Thanks. I'll probably try out the trilogy when I have a chance.

barkingclam posted:

It's a bit of a stretch, but Murakami's Wind-Up Bird Chronicle kind of fits the bill.

Most of Murakami's work is about this feeling in one way or another. His oeuvre is basically representing how what we are as humans is thinning, and in the modern age we go about our lives with a vague sensation that something is lost/being lost, but we're not really sure what it is or what to do about it.

Or maybe I'm not taking the original guy literally enough. If he's more looking for something where a person literally feels like he doesn't know where to go or what to do, then Murakami is a bit different I think.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I found a cheap copy of Brooklyn Follies - should I give that one up as a bad job?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I'm looking for some horror in the vein of Stephen King, Joe Hill, Lovecraft, etc. I really love horror books but I feel like so much of it is crappy Dean Koontz nonsense and I'm having a hard time finding new authors to look into. I really like psychological horror, ghosts, Silent Hill kind of stuff. Basically I just want to read Heart-Shaped Box over and over again. Any ideas?

Monocular
Jul 29, 2003

Sugartime Jones

z0331 posted:

Thanks. I'll probably try out the trilogy when I have a chance.

Most of Murakami's work is about this feeling in one way or another. His oeuvre is basically representing how what we are as humans is thinning, and in the modern age we go about our lives with a vague sensation that something is lost/being lost, but we're not really sure what it is or what to do about it.

Or maybe I'm not taking the original guy literally enough. If he's more looking for something where a person literally feels like he doesn't know where to go or what to do, then Murakami is a bit different I think.

That's sort of what I'm feeling, so thanks! I'm definitely going to check out some of his stuff. Any suggestions beside the Wind Up Bird Chronicles?

Edit: Norwegian Wood seems to be what I'm looking for. Thanks again guys!

Monocular fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 1, 2011

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Does anyone have any recommendations for good books about Iran or Persia? I already have The Septembers of Shiraz, and I've been looking at The Blood of Flowers by Anita Amirrezvani and Rooftops of Tehran by Mahbod Seraji. Are those any good, and are there any others that I should look at?

Non-fiction would be appreciated, too.

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 1, 2011

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

McPantserton posted:

I'm looking for some horror in the vein of Stephen King, Joe Hill, Lovecraft, etc. I really love horror books but I feel like so much of it is crappy Dean Koontz nonsense and I'm having a hard time finding new authors to look into. I really like psychological horror, ghosts, Silent Hill kind of stuff. Basically I just want to read Heart-Shaped Box over and over again. Any ideas?

Thomas Ligotti, Laird Barron, Simon Strantzas, Richard Matheson, Richard Gavin, Joe Pulver, Mark Samuels, Caitlin Kiernan, John Langan, W.H. Pugmire, Jeffrey Thomas...

I could go on for a while, but that list should get you started.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Ornamented Death posted:

Thomas Ligotti, Laird Barron, Simon Strantzas, Richard Matheson, Richard Gavin, Joe Pulver, Mark Samuels, Caitlin Kiernan, John Langan, W.H. Pugmire, Jeffrey Thomas...

I could go on for a while, but that list should get you started.

You're the poo poo. Thanks a bunch!

Shonagon
Mar 27, 2005

It is impervious to reason or pleading, it knows no mercy or patience.
Here's a thing: Can anyone think of mystery fiction where the 'detective' character is a criminal? Anything from 19th century onwards would be fine. Given the list of detective 'quirks' (is Belgian, is lesbian, is alcoholic, wears lovely raincoat, is haunted by dead wife) I can't quite believe nobody's used 'is a criminal' yet but I can't think of anything.

(I mean a proper criminal, not a corrupt serving police officer.)

Thanks!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Shonagon posted:

Here's a thing: Can anyone think of mystery fiction where the 'detective' character is a criminal? Anything from 19th century onwards would be fine. Given the list of detective 'quirks' (is Belgian, is lesbian, is alcoholic, wears lovely raincoat, is haunted by dead wife) I can't quite believe nobody's used 'is a criminal' yet but I can't think of anything.

Thanks!

Fantomas series is the classic. Also the Arsene Lupin books. For some reason the criminal mastermind detective fiction genre seems to be mostly French. They also tend to have stories where Sherlock Holmes shows up and gets beaten by the Master Thief, which for some reason I can't put my finger on I find vaguely annoying.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Shonagon posted:

Thanks!

Lawrence Block's Bernie Rhodenbarr is a thief.

quote:

Bernie's burglary operations are usually well-planned and tidily executed, from the initial surveillance of the target site to the escape route afterwards. However, during the course of some of these burglaries Bernie encounters a dead body, usually just before the police arrive to investigate a called-in murder. Thus begins the plotline of a typical Bernie Rhodenbarr novel, in which Bernie undertakes to solve the murder in order to clear his name. His investigative techniques include not only interviewing the victim's associates, but visits (sometimes involving illegal entry) to their homes to identify (and occasionally plant) evidence.

Shonagon
Mar 27, 2005

It is impervious to reason or pleading, it knows no mercy or patience.

dokmo posted:

Lawrence Block's Bernie Rhodenbarr is a thief.

Oh for gently caress's sake, I own all of these. I was trying to think at work. Duuh. Thanks. I must dig out Lupin! edit: And have downloaded Fantomas.

Shonagon fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 2, 2011

Coriolis
Oct 23, 2005

I'm trying to fill in the blank spots in my knowledge of European history, and I'd like to find a good overview of German history. It may take multiple books to get what I want, but I'd like to learn about Germany from the beginning of the Holy Roman Empire up to Unification. A high-level overview would be fine, but I'm kind of a history nerd so don't be afraid to recommend some real doorstoppers either.

Any books about the history of industrialization in Germany would be good, also. Especially if they could compare and contrast industrialization in Germany with industrialization in some other countries.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I am trying to find something containing monster-hunter or hunters in the fantasy Genre, something along the lines of the Witcher series was enjoyable and I'd appreciate any help.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I expect there have been some recommendations in this thread already but, understandably, I got a lot of search results for "war" and similar.

I'm looking for a book that gives a complete run-through of World War 2. The causes, events, and fallout. It's not for a project, just personal interest, so the exact contents aren't too important. I just really enjoyed learning about that period back at school and want to know more about why it happened, what Germany were trying to do, how the balance of power shifted during the war, the major people involved one ach side, that sort of thing.

It's probably too much information for one book but I'm open to any suggestions. I'm looking for something more European focused rather than US/Japan (but if that's in there too then great).

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Tunga posted:

I expect there have been some recommendations in this thread already but, understandably, I got a lot of search results for "war" and similar.

I'm looking for a book that gives a complete run-through of World War 2. The causes, events, and fallout. It's not for a project, just personal interest, so the exact contents aren't too important. I just really enjoyed learning about that period back at school and want to know more about why it happened, what Germany were trying to do, how the balance of power shifted during the war, the major people involved one ach side, that sort of thing.

It's probably too much information for one book but I'm open to any suggestions. I'm looking for something more European focused rather than US/Japan (but if that's in there too then great).

Haha, funny you should ask. I asked for the same thing here a few days ago, but ended up finding a book by myself: The Storm of War by Andrew Roberts. It's really good so far. It's a completely comprehensive history of the entire war, from (so far anyway) a mostly European perspective. It delves into the personal decisions and motives of all the major players, on both sides. It describes the battles and manoeuvres, but also talks about how such things affected civilians. I wrote about it in this other thread too. (oh and one major theme of Roberts' book is the mistakes Hitler made that lost him the war; every chapter ties back into Hitler's decisions, and how the Allies basically scraped through to victory thanks to Hitler's blundering)

I also spotted one in a bookstore the other day called All Hell Let Loose (retitled Inferno in the US) by Max Hastings which looks great, and also covers all of WW2. I'll probably get it next for another perspective. After that I'm going to look for books on smaller chunks of the war (D-Day, for instance).

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Nov 3, 2011

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hedrigall posted:

Haha, funny you should ask. I asked for the same thing here a few days ago, but ended up finding a book by myself: The Storm of War by Andrew Roberts. It's really good so far. It's a completely comprehensive history of the entire war, from (so far anyway) a mostly European perspective. It delves into the personal decisions and motives of all the major players, on both sides. It describes the battles and manoeuvres, but also talks about how such things affected civilians.
This sounds perfect, I read a couple of excerpts on Amazon and it seems pretty well written too. I'll grab a copy, thanks.

Would be great to hear what you think of the other one you mentioned if you pick that up too.

Cumshot in the Dark
Oct 20, 2005

This is how we roll
Can anyone recommend a good overview of the French Revolution? I've been on a long history kick and realized I know almost nothing about it, much to my embarrassment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001
Any recommendations for books that are in the Kindle lending library? I just got prime and already had a Kindle. I haven't read in ages but I recall liking Stephen King and Michael Chrichton.