Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
I sailed with a guy who must be a PO1 by now who has a big, beautifully intricate triforce on his bicep that he got after finishing basic - he'd only show it after reaching a certain level of drunkenness.

It happens a lot. Whenever I was duty at Nelles block I noticed the place was overrun with Ordinary Seamen with huge anchor tattoos on their forearms, ropes around wrists and assorted other sailor stuff to celebrate their zero days of sea time. And I still remember when I was an OD in at Nelles block, the other OD who got "PAIN IS TEMPORARY" on his left forearm and "PRIDE IS FOREVER" on the other one (NOT ME). People get pretty worked up over basic training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
There is a Master Seaman NavCom who has a HUGE gently caress off NAVCOMM tattoo on his forearm. He kinda looks like bubbles from Trailer Park Boys.

I really love being in the Navy, but that dude thinks being a Navcomm is the cats rear end. Good for him I guess? We all kind of laugh when we see it.

I know guys who got our squad number tattooed on them in St Jean. hahaha

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Someone probably told him that Navcomms would get spec pay if they all tattooed their trade name on their arms (didn't work out).

(for all the army folks out there, Navcomms are the only "ops" trade that don't get spec pay and boy are they bitter about it - almost as bitter as the techs. Mention it to either one and watch them go from good humored to caremad in less than a heatbeat)

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

A certain retarded meathead I went through basic with (who is now regforce god save us all) got a maple leaf with CROSSED C7s. Not sabers. Not bayonets. Crossed C7s, complete with ELCANS and everything. It looks loving hilariously bad.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
Who won 34 Brigade's March & Shoot competition for the second year in a row? Thissssssssssssssss guy!

CO gave us a blank cheque for the victory steak feast and our team leader promised he'd buy 300$ worth of wine if we won. Time to get shitfaced.

Highlight of the competition:

One team knocked itself out of the competition by taking a back-bearing and getting lost at the very start. It's extra delicious because their 2IC called out "Aren't we supposed to go that way...? gently caress it." before they stepped off.

Another team showed up without a Sgt and just went home.

Hats off to the Guards, the FMR and the RMR who showed up and just gave'er. Till next year.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

A certain retarded meathead I went through basic with (who is now regforce god save us all) got a maple leaf with CROSSED C7s. Not sabers. Not bayonets. Crossed C7s, complete with ELCANS and everything. It looks loving hilariously bad.

I knew one idiot that not only had that but had it tattooed in gigantic form over his whole back. And he tried to be shirtless as often as possible to show it off. :what:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know when C&E collar dogs are supposed to be issued/worn? Initial DEU issue, completion of BMQ/L, trades course completion? I'm trying to look this poo poo up but all I can find is "Members of branches other than combat arms shall receive branch badges in accordance with the procedures established by individual Branch Advisers."

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Canuck-Errant posted:

Anyone know when C&E collar dogs are supposed to be issued/worn? Initial DEU issue, completion of BMQ/L, trades course completion? I'm trying to look this poo poo up but all I can find is "Members of branches other than combat arms shall receive branch badges in accordance with the procedures established by individual Branch Advisers."

You usually only wear unit/trade specific poo poo when you're qualified and in a unit. I don't know the specifics, but you'll know when to wear them when you're told to wear them.

Also I only have 3 weeks left in this job! I go on my HHT next week, gently caress yea.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

My Spirit Otter posted:

You usually only wear unit/trade specific poo poo when you're qualified and in a unit. I don't know the specifics, but you'll know when to wear them when you're told to wear them.

Also I only have 3 weeks left in this job! I go on my HHT next week, gently caress yea.

I'm in a Reserve Sig Sqn and we don't actually have our own Stores, so nobody has any idea whether I'm supposed to wear the Jimmys.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 16, 2017

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

stevobob posted:

As far as my unit rolls, you wear all your poo poo as soon as you get your DEUs, and just add badges as you get trade qualified and marksman and poo poo.

edit: I'm also a sigs reservist, so take this with a mine of salt

Fair enough, AFAICT the prevailing opinion is "look as much like the other guys as possible" so

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

If you're in a unit, wear your unit poo poo, just don't wear your trade poo poo until you graduate. I'm no reservist, so take this with a surplus of salt.

edit: If you're rockin' the naked dude and you haven't done your DP1, your friends will probably make fun of you and you might get in trouble. However, civvies won't know poo poo if you're doing it for Nov. 11th

My Spirit Otter fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 1, 2011

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 16, 2017

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

stevobob posted:

I hate this ACISS poo poo, I didn't do my 5s last summer but I have my 3s and I'm having trouble figuring out how I stand as far as qualification in the new system. :geno: Pretty sure I just need DP2 now but someone mentioned some kind of ACISS conversion course.

DP2 is what you take just before you get corporals in tech trades. So it's your 5's

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

stevobob posted:

One thing is that our cap badge is given once you complete SQ/BMQ-L. Other trades only give it to you once you're actually trade qualified. Because of this I ASSUME you can wear the collar dogs and all as soon as you're done BMQ-L, it makes sense to me and I doubt anyone would actually say anything since you don't have the badge denoting QL3/DP1 completion.

I hate this ACISS poo poo, I didn't do my 5s last summer but I have my 3s and I'm having trouble figuring out how I stand as far as qualification in the new system. :geno: Pretty sure I just need DP2 now but someone mentioned some kind of ACISS conversion course.

I did BMQ/L with some combat engineers who had their beavers, though :confused:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Alright, I worked my rear end off for nine months studying and working out to get as ready for course as possible, but I have a back injury and it's just not happening. Are there any exciting officer trades open right now that aren't arty or armored? Like, int o?

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Mazari Sharif looks pretty in photos. I wonder how much of it I am going to be able to see with our new tour structure.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Canuck-Errant posted:

I did BMQ/L with some combat engineers who had their beavers, though :confused:

We just had some guys go through their SQ after being DP-1 qualified and spending time in regiment. My buddy just got back to the unit and apparently going on SQ as a qualified guy means you can give no fucks and get away with it. He also taught his course how to build type 1 catwire fences and low wire entanglements because he was more qualified on it than his course staff.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.

Samu posted:

We just had some guys go through their SQ after being DP-1 qualified and spending time in regiment. My buddy just got back to the unit and apparently going on SQ as a qualified guy means you can give no fucks and get away with it. He also taught his course how to build type 1 catwire fences and low wire entanglements because he was more qualified on it than his course staff.

Those are the easiest things to build. How could anyone NOT be qualified to do that. Jesus.

Also Int O is hard to get into.

fart420-BONGVILLAN
Nov 5, 2007
bong party on your head kick n stomp till your blazzz-zed

tuyop posted:

Alright, I worked my rear end off for nine months studying and working out to get as ready for course as possible, but I have a back injury and it's just not happening. Are there any exciting officer trades open right now that aren't arty or armored? Like, int o?

Your BPSO will have the most up to date information (they used to publish it on the DWAN but they recently withheld it). I'd expect to see all combat arms trades as well as MARS on the list of open officer classifications. CSE is open if you have a degree remotely science related and it is exciting (imo...)

fart420-BONGVILLAN fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 2, 2011

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

fart420-BONGVILLAN posted:

Your BPSO will have the most up to date information (they used to publish it on the DWAN but they recently withheld it). I'd expect to see all combat arms trades as well as MARS on the list of open officer classifications. CSE is open if you have a degree remotely science related and it is exciting (imo...)

My degree is as arts as it gets. Very relevant for intelligence but not all sciencey. I'm kind of jumping the gun here anyway, I'm probably a month away from a CRB and who knows how long for an OT or T Cat or whatever. I hope the BPSO doesn't gently caress me like most people.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
If it's the same BPSO that has been there in at least the last year than the dude isn't too good from what I hear. He seems to take a long time. So just hound the poo poo out of him. It's your career.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Elgar posted:

Those are the easiest things to build. How could anyone NOT be qualified to do that. Jesus.

Also Int O is hard to get into.

Well his section commander was some master bombadier who only ever built a wire fence once on his SQ, and it's something we're taught in detail on our DP1. More like concertina wire is the devil and the Mcpl didn't want to ruin his boots or something.

Has anyone ever heard the rumor that our concertina wire is coated in an anti-coagulant so that if the enemy gets caught up in it he'll bleed out? Seems like a stupid army myth but I've heard it from a couple people.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
Whoever believes that is an idiot.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005

Samu posted:

Well his section commander was some master bombadier who only ever built a wire fence once on his SQ, and it's something we're taught in detail on our DP1. More like concertina wire is the devil and the Mcpl didn't want to ruin his boots or something.

Has anyone ever heard the rumor that our concertina wire is coated in an anti-coagulant so that if the enemy gets caught up in it he'll bleed out? Seems like a stupid army myth but I've heard it from a couple people.

Geeze, well I guess the only people who routinely do that poo poo are Infantry and Engineers.

Also no there is no anti coagulant as poo poo like that probably breaks a few laws. Also unless it was forged into it from some mystical process it would probably wear off in no time. Since they are supposed to be covered by MGs anyway I don't know why anyone would go with the bleeding out approach, that would take so long unless it hit an artery.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Elgar posted:

Geeze, well I guess the only people who routinely do that poo poo are Infantry and Engineers.
Yea, the artillery doesn't really need it, because if we do, we're usually in the places that you duder's built

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Samu posted:

I've heard that one. It's right up there with the rumour that Tim Hortons puts nicotine in its coffee.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005

My Spirit Otter posted:

Yea, the artillery doesn't really need it, because if we do, we're usually in the places that you duder's built

I would really rather have you guys manning guns than building cat 1 wire defenses.

Man I keep missing words in my sentences :(.

Elgar fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 3, 2011

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Elgar posted:

I would really have you guys manning guns than building cat 1 wire defenses.

Yea it's really all we're good at :downs:

Frankie!
Apr 1, 2006
Ceci n'est pas un titre....

Barrakketh posted:

Who won 34 Brigade's March & Shoot competition for the second year in a row? Thissssssssssssssss guy!

You got a steak dinner out of it. Man, that's awesome. I mean, we didn't even get our own Sgts to go so actually getting something out of the march and shoot other than "making the grenade shine" is crazy-talk. Given enough enthusiasm, maybe next year we'll be able to avoid getting points docked for lack of people, which is what has happened to us for the last three years.

Of course if this happened to something hockey-related the entire troop would of gotten yelled at on parade for it. 43 game winning streak HELL YEAH :rolleyes:.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo the mess dinner is this weekend and I have to wear a bowtie for it

I can't loving tie a bowtie, what was I thinking

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Canuck-Errant posted:

Why not use a clip-on? Not classy, but it works.

Spirit Otter, when I was in for the most part we didn't do concertina wire, not a lot at least. Only for roadblocks along the MSR where we had pulled off into the position. Has it changed? The last thing I want after a "prepare to move-MOVE" type order is "oh yeah go get that concertina wire and wrap it back up" gently caress YOUuuuu

The most assholish thing I ever heard was "re-gather all that tannoy wire we need it on the next position"

:stare: Tannoy wire. Are you loving serious.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

Spirit Otter, when I was in for the most part we didn't do concertina wire, not a lot at least. Only for roadblocks along the MSR where we had pulled off into the position. Has it changed? The last thing I want after a "prepare to move-MOVE" type order is "oh yeah go get that concertina wire and wrap it back up" gently caress YOUuuuu

The most assholish thing I ever heard was "re-gather all that tannoy wire we need it on the next position"

:stare: Tannoy wire. Are you loving serious.

Still don't do concertina. If we do roadblocks it's with dragon's teeth.

gently caress tannoy wire, we have the reel on a spindle so we can roll it up from the trails, but with the m777s, there is no place to attach the reel to the gun and the wireless systems won't be up until the summer, when I'm gone anyway.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005

Canuck-Errant posted:

I was in the same boat. Except it was 15 minutes before a mess dinner. You have more than enough time to learn how to tie it. I could tie an ok one in 20. (I was late but no one noticed)

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

Still don't do concertina. If we do roadblocks it's with dragon's teeth.

gently caress tannoy wire, we have the reel on a spindle so we can roll it up from the trails, but with the m777s, there is no place to attach the reel to the gun and the wireless systems won't be up until the summer, when I'm gone anyway.

gently caress you

gently caress you

gently caress you

gently caress you

I have a gear-queer crush on the M777. I could see it in the guys who were gunners with 2horse in Op Athena. They get back to the regiment, out in the field with the C3s. Like, "UGH These things suck and are so old and lovely I miss using a gun that isn't from world war two."

Seriously. Some of the American SPGs in World of Tanks use the C1(M2A1).

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

MA-Horus posted:

Why not use a clip-on? Not classy, but it works.

I dunno how it is for you guys, but other here if they find you wearing a clip-on it's a fine of port. And that's a measure of port for each person at the dinner/ball.

Having said that, last Traf Night, the mess pres had been fined 8 bottles of port before he even sat down. It was a good night.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

fart420-BONGVILLAN posted:

What is CSE? I've fallen a bit behind on my TLA's (three letter acronyms)

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Mr.48 posted:

What is CSE? I've fallen a bit behind on my TLA's (three letter acronyms)

I think he's referring to Combat Systems Engineer, formerly MARE (CS), now known as Naval Combat Systems Engineer (NCS ENG), so that no one gets it confused with the Army's Combat Engineer (I guess Systems wasn't a big enough clue).

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Welllllp I think I'm making the plunge into Naval Reserve, depending on how badly it'll gently caress with my wedding this summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Working at 7:30 the day after remembrance day, went out t'ill 4:30 last night. This is going to be rough.