Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
just bring a cast iron and fry them in butter on onions over the bbq
like this but ghetto:

sliders aren't grilled

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breakfall87
Apr 22, 2004
ABunch7587's little bitch

heeebrew posted:

Would it be easier to take the skin off of a butternut squash before or after cooking?

After. If you are roasting squash and you want some extra flavor, this method takes a little longer, but the results are awesome. Instead of putting them cut side down, fill the cavity where the seeds were with some butter and seasonings of your choice. Personally I love to throw in either brown sugar or maple syrup as well. Deep scores in the flesh will help lessen the cook time and will allow the butter and such to soak in. SO GOOD.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
How do I not gently caress up brown rice?

vvvv Sounds good, I'll give it a shot. Cheers!

angor fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 29, 2011

yes
Aug 26, 2004

angor posted:

Cook it like pasta. Boil it for ~30 minutes in a large amount of water until it's cooked through and then strain the water out.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

dino. posted:

Yes.

Thanks!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I haven't made stock in a while, I forgot how amazing it makes the house smell :3:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

angor posted:

vvvv Sounds good, I'll give it a shot. Cheers!

This method has never failed me.

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

So, are we done with the whirled peas thing yet?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Shut up shut up shut up.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Kenning posted:

Shut up shut up shut up.

that's rude

CrystalRose
Sep 16, 2006

I like sparkly things
For the next while I will be living in a fairly remote part of the world (Dutch Caribbean). Since I am nowhere near an Asian or Indian market I'm looking to start ordering things in. Any good site reccomdations? As long as they can ship through the US I can get it sent here.

Tsioc
Sep 12, 2007
I was told this was the proper thread, so here goes:

I've really started to enjoy the taste of horchata. So far my favorite is made by Cacique, but even the less creamy horchata at local restaurants is delicious. Is there a quick and easy way to make it at home? Or should I just keep buying the bottles?

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

How well would hot sauce work as a salad dressing, say on a typical garden salad?

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Went to shabu shabu tonight and got beef tongue thinking it would be good. I like tongue, but the thin slices in hot soup were too tough and chewy. I brought it home, but does anyone have suggestions about what to do with it? I only know how to cook tongue whole. :|

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Jive One posted:

How well would hot sauce work as a salad dressing, say on a typical garden salad?

I reckon it might, but use it very, very sparingly (I'm referencing my own extremely spicy sriracha here); maybe a drop or two with a little lemon or lime juice and olive oil.

I'd say that there's no need to use the fancy/expensive olive oil when you're doing a dressing with sriracha or other hot sauce, as it will just destroy those delicate flavours.

I'm curious about the results though! Let us know.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Tsioc posted:

I was told this was the proper thread, so here goes:

I've really started to enjoy the taste of horchata. So far my favorite is made by Cacique, but even the less creamy horchata at local restaurants is delicious. Is there a quick and easy way to make it at home? Or should I just keep buying the bottles?

Hahah the first recipe hit for rice-based horchata has someone talking about how lovely the posted recipe is. Here is their modification that sounds like it should work pretty nicely for home preparation:

quote:

This is gooey and a waste of time. Soak a cup of uncooked rice in water overnight. Discard water and place the rice, a can of evaporated milk and about 4 cups of water in a blender. Mix. Add 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 tsp cinnamon and blend well. Strain through a cheesecloth a few times and serve over ice. Easier and way better, i promise.

Someone later in the thread mentioned adding a little almond extract. Sounds tasty, I might give it a try.

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.
Every Christmas I make candies to bring to my boyfriend's family thing. They are always a big hit, because my family's traditional spread is awesome. But I feel bad because his grandpa is lactose intolerant and has heart disease, so the usual business isn't so great for him. I know the feeling, since I am allergic to wheat and holidays are a pain in the rear end. There are a few things that he can have in moderation or with modification, but I would really like to find a recipe or two that is awesomely good for him without major alteration. I would like to surprise him with a box just for him, since the ones that he can eat are generally gobbled super fast by everyone else, and some variety in there would be awesome.

So, does anyone have some good heart-healthy lactose-free candy recipes, or know of a good source? I tried google and all I found was DON'T EAT CANDY! or horrible vegan nut clumps. I mostly do dipped candies, so good fillings would be appreciated.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Jive One posted:

Dressing isn't just about flavor. It would be fine but you want some fat like olive oil or even just drawn butter -which, with some vinegar would make a "Buffalo" flavor dressing.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Jive One posted:

I do a sriracha vinaigrette with sriracha, extra virgin olive oil, seasoned rice wine vinegar, toasted sesame seeds, honey, minced shallot and chopped cilantro, it's pretty good.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Asstro Van posted:

So, does anyone have some good heart-healthy lactose-free candy recipes, or know of a good source?

Some kind of nut brittle? Almonds in particular are very heart-friendly, but I suppose they should be raw to keep the healthy nut oils intact. How about fruit jellies? Made with fresh fruit juices? Sugar in itself isn't a poison, like some would have us believe.

(gently caress people who say "don't eat candy".)

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

In the past, raw almonds were toxic. Cooking destroyed such toxins. And besides, roasted nuts taste way better than raw.

SnakeParty
Oct 30, 2011
Hiii,

So my roommate has got all of these Rainbow Trout filets...

Any suggestions on how to cook, marinate, ceviche-ate, do-some-thing-other-than breadin' em and fryin' em?

Thanks gooons

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
I had a few newbie cookware questions regarding roasting pans.

I was interesting in preparing beef brisket for the first time using my conventional oven. Out of the many ways to prepare brisket in the oven I read a few preparations used roasting pans.

The roasting pan seems ideal for me since I could use it for other slow-cooked dishes besides brisket.

Should I buy a stainless-steel roaster with a rack, and without a cover? I noticed most of the gourmet-style roasting pans on Amazon did not have covers. I assume if I needed to cover something I would use aluminum foil.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

SnakeParty posted:

Hiii,

So my roommate has got all of these Rainbow Trout filets...

Any suggestions on how to cook, marinate, ceviche-ate, do-some-thing-other-than breadin' em and fryin' em?

Thanks gooons

One of my favourite ways with trout is this. It's easy, delicious and done under 30 minutes if you've got a little knife skill:

Preheat your oven to 180 Celsius

1. Make a square of foil large enough to make a 'packet' at the end.

2. Rub a little sunflower/olive oil on the bottom.

3. Thinly slice some vegetables; leeks, carrots, fennel, onion will do well. Add in some herbs (chili/ginger for an asian style, thyme/oregano/rosemary for a mediterranean).

4. Lightly score the skin of the fish (this will work skinless too) and lay one fillet on top of the vegetables. If you have two fillets, put a few slices of lemon skins and a bay leaf if you have one(mediteranean) or chili (asian) in between. Salt and pepper.

Pour over a touch of white wine (med.) or soy sauce (a sprinkling, asian)

5. Crimp up your packet, and ensure it's closed.

About 15 minutes in the oven should do.

Serve with rice or new potatoes.

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 30, 2011

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

I cooked a pot roast on Thursday night but then unexpectedly went out of town and didn't get around to eating it :(. I now have a few tupperware containers in the fridge. I'll be out of town again this week for work, so I don't think I'll get to it.

Is it okay to freeze it now even though it's been sitting in the fridge since Thursday? Or do I need to throw it out?

SnakeParty
Oct 30, 2011

Junior G-man posted:

One of my favourite ways with trout is this. It's easy, delicious and done under 30 minutes if you've got a little knife skill:

3. Thinly slice some vegetables; leeks, carrots, fennel, onion will do well. Add in some herbs (chili/ginger for an asian style, thyme/oregano/rosemary for a mediterranean).

4. Lightly score the skin of the fish (this will work skinless too) and lay one fillet on top of the vegetables. If you have two fillets, put a few slices of lemon skins and a bay leaf if you have one(mediteranean) or chili (asian) in between. Salt and pepper.

Definitely going to try this out, thanks so much.

I think we will use all those veggies, and try out both "asian" and "mediteranean"

Emo Rodeo
Dec 28, 2006

This is one mystic quest
Making steak fajitas tonight. Doing a quick marinade on on the steak and I'm just unsure as to the order of cut then cook or cook then cut? I'm used to making chicken fajitas where I cut it up raw before cooking.

Also, I'm cooking with stainless steel pans, should I cook high heat or what?

General tips appreciated

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

So I made an Autumn vegetable soup tonight. It was delicious, but I had problems with the texture. Specifically, I soaked a bunch of split yellow peas in water for, like, two days. Despite almost an hour of boiling in the soup (all other veggies apart from some stubborn bits of roasted parsnip had disintegrated) the peas remained unpleasantly solid, with an undercooked mouthfeel.

I know these little shits can be made soft, because the local Indian joint does a dansak curry with them instead of the usual lentils. What the hell am I doing wrong? I guess the salt in my stock might be loving with them softening?

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

SnakeParty posted:

Definitely going to try this out, thanks so much.

I think we will use all those veggies, and try out both "asian" and "mediteranean"

My Chinese grandmother makes a variation of this, which I really like. The differences in the recipe include a teaspoon of sugar in addition to the salt and pepper, and the finishing technique after steaming it.

She takes 2 or 3 parts cilantro, 1 part of some roughly cut green onion, and a bit of thinly sliced ginger and lays it in a thick layer of about 1 to 2 cm on top of the fish. Then she takes about two or three tablespoons of very hot, almost smoking, oil and pours it into the vegetables to give it a quick fry. Looks impressive, smells even better. Serve immediately, and give each serving a healthy amount of the oil-blanched garnish as well as a spoonful of some of the fish juice/soy sauce at the bottom of the foil/steaming dish.

She tends to add the soy sauce after it's cooking, and before doing the above with the garnish. She says that cooking the fish with the soy sauce changes the flavor into something she doesn't like.

Also, soy sauce really needs a bit of sugar to round out the taste into something of beauty. Straight salt and soy sauce tends to give food a noticable bitter and bad taste.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 31, 2011

SnakeParty
Oct 30, 2011

Mach420 posted:

My Chinese grandmother makes a variation of this, which I really like. The differences in the recipe include a pinch of sugar in addition to the salt and pepper, and the finishing technique after steaming it.

She takes 2 or 3 parts cilantro, 1 part of some roughly cut green onion, and a bit of thinly sliced ginger and lays it in a thick layer of about 1 to 2 cm on top of the fish. Then she takes about two or three tablespoons of very hot, almost smoking, oil and pours it into the vegetables to give it a quick fry. Looks impressive, smells even better. Serve immediately, and give each serving a healthy amount of the oil-blanched garnish as well as a spoonful of some of the fish juice/soy sauce at the bottom of the foil/steaming dish.

She tends to add the soy sauce after it's cooking, and before doing the above with the garnish. She says that cooking the fish with the soy sauce changes the flavor into something she doesn't like.

Boy am I glad I checked this before we finished the trout. I will definitely try this. Any oil will do? I am gonna use olive oil...

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

SnakeParty posted:

Boy am I glad I checked this before we finished the trout. I will definitely try this. Any oil will do? I am gonna use olive oil...

Olive oil works fine if you like the flavor with Asian ingredients. Some do, some don't. I think it's great.

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009
I made a pumpkin pie and it's pretty alright (I have a feeling there's something important I didn't put in that would make it mindblowing). Now that I made it, I have two things left over:

1. A container of excess pumpkin pie filling. I could make a second pie, sure, but is there something a little more interesting I can do with this?
2. About two cups of pumpkin-pulp-puree-mush. I know I could whip up a pumpkin soup, but surely it has other uses too.

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.

Sjurygg posted:

Some kind of nut brittle? Almonds in particular are very heart-friendly, but I suppose they should be raw to keep the healthy nut oils intact. How about fruit jellies? Made with fresh fruit juices? Sugar in itself isn't a poison, like some would have us believe.

(gently caress people who say "don't eat candy".)

I have never made brittle before, but that sounds like a great idea. Thanks!

SnakeParty
Oct 30, 2011

Junior G-man posted:

God it was delicious, thaaaaaaaaaaaank you for the great ideas. I did the hot oil thing over cilantro and green onions as a garnish... it was stellar. I also ground up the ginger, chilli, cilantro, lemon juice, and olive oil into a paste. It was delicious. Thank you all!

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Glad to see that it was a hit!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Trout is an awesome fish.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
So... roasted pumpkin seeds. It's that time again, right?

I carved two pumpkins tonight and one of them had ALL THE SEEDS, so I've got something like two and a half cups' worth, washed, picked over, and spread out on paper towels to dry. This year, I thought that I would try following the online recipes that say to let them dry overnight, then coat them lightly in oil and roast them for an hour at 250, low and slow. Haven't tried that temp/time combination yet.

How do you guys usually roast yours? Skillet, oven? Medium temp, low temp? And what oils/spices/coatings do you prefer?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Asstro Van posted:

I have never made brittle before, but that sounds like a great idea. Thanks!

I just thought of something, if it's not an insult....old people sometimes have trouble chewing really hard stuff. Just sayin'

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

CrystalRose posted:

For the next while I will be living in a fairly remote part of the world (Dutch Caribbean). Since I am nowhere near an Asian or Indian market I'm looking to start ordering things in. Any good site reccomdations? As long as they can ship through the US I can get it sent here.
Dunno if you're still reading, but:

1) Penzeys and the Spice House are my go-to spice vendors

2) there are an awful lot of East Indian people (and people with East Indian ancestors) in the Caribbean, and a fair share of Chinese folks as well. You may be surprised at what you can find locally.

On another note, instead of making sliders or burgers for our Halloween party, I just made a fuckton of Satay chicken and some (Caribbean-style) coconut rice. It was a huge hit, and folks were practically drinking the peanut sauce I made on the side. Satay makes a pretty awesome main course, not just an appetizer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Does anyone have a link to Alton Brown's (I think it was his..) meatloaf recipe? All I can find is the Good Eats one with croutons and cayenne pepper and whatnot.

This one was similar to that (with the almost pureed veggies), but I can't seem to find it anymore, and someone was asking me about it. Thanks :)