Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Idunn posted:

?CG: I SEE NOTHING BUT A COWARD BEHIND DARK EYEWEAR CLEARLY DESIGNED FOR WOMEN AND A PAIR OF IMPUDENT LIPS PURSED SO TIGHT IT'LL SOUND LIKE AIR SQUEALING OUT OF A BALLOON WHEN I PUNCH YOU IN THE GUT.

Such a great line. God bless you, Karkat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

FrictionlessEmu posted:

Are you asking why Aradia came back as a ghost after Vriska killed her, rather than just being dead? If so, we don't really know, besides that we've been told that Aradia is Kind Of A Special Case. It's similar to the situation with Kanaya, I guess - Aradia had special powers to hear the voices of the dead and then came back as a ghost, and Kanaya had a special vampire-related abilities/interests and came back as a vampire. But we don't really know the mechanics of why either of them didn't just stay dead.

Didn't Doc Scratch have some intervention in Kanaya's early life? I remember some panel of half-pint Kanaya standing next to the legs of a green suit. She got a mention in one of his parables to Rose as well.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Senethro posted:

Didn't Doc Scratch have some intervention in Kanaya's early life? I remember some panel of half-pint Kanaya standing next to the legs of a green suit. She got a mention in one of his parables to Rose as well.

I'm pretty sure that was meant to show the connection between Kanaya and Jade. They were both having a terrible bout of insomnia when they were way younger, when someone forced them to fall asleep (Doc Scratch using first guardian magic on Kanaya, and Vriska using her mind control on Jade) after which they would dream on Prospit and see visions in the clouds. I remember Doc Scratch obliquely referring to people on Kanaya's planet giving her that power though.

e: I am dumb and never realized the bulb headed guardian was Doc Scratch.

Arrhythmia fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 31, 2011

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Senethro posted:

Yeah, Doc Scratch woke her up early on Prospit and implied that spending time in the sun as a child led to her glowing in the dark as a rainbow drinker. It's still very unexplained but heavily implied :confused:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I'm still convinced that Kanaya became a rainbow drinker because she drank the virgin mother grub's blood.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I could have sworn there was a bit where Doc Scratch basically says something like "I once taught a young troll how to glow in the dark", which would mean that he's totally responsible for Kanaya's vampirismrainbow-drinker-ism.

edit: here, not quite what I thought he said, but it still implies that Scratch had something to do with it. I think.

Doc Scratch posted:

What would you say if I said a dutiful girl raised in the daylight was protected by a bulb-headed guardian, and learned to glow in the dark after death?

Well Manicured Man fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 31, 2011

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I skipped 20 pages what is hard mode/easy mode? is this a song or group of songs?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Krinkle posted:

I skipped 20 pages what is hard mode/easy mode? is this a song or group of songs?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444640&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=41#post397077173

This post explains it.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Well Manicured Man posted:

edit: here, not quite what I thought he said, but it still implies that Scratch had something to do with it. I think.

That particular sequence especially suffers from the patented Doc Scratch possibly telling the truth but he's speaking in hypotheticals so who knows style. I imagine he did have a hand in Kanaya's vampire resurrection but I wouldn't take any of his hypotheticals as absolute fact. He doesn't lie but Scratch deceives when he can.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
Just noticed this

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

RickoniX posted:

Just noticed this

That's the Queen's ship, right?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

That's the Queen's ship, right?

That's PM taking a shuttle to the Battlefield to collect the white king's sceptre and crown.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

RickoniX posted:

Just noticed this

Umm, sorry I'm not sure what you're getting at? It's PM in the ship, she's leaving for the Battlefield to get the White King's staff I think.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

That's PM taking a shuttle to the Battlefield to collect the white king's sceptre and crown.

Oh, right. Doy, forgot the context.

damn chimera
Jan 31, 2007

EMERGENCY
EMERGENCY
EMERGENCY
What's the theme used at about 2:00 in Hussie Hunt? It's in a bunch of songs but I can't remember where it was used first.

e: oh dur it's Explore

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Mazerunner posted:

Umm, sorry I'm not sure what you're getting at? It's PM in the ship, she's leaving for the Battlefield to get the White King's staff I think.

quote:

You'll have to remember to deliver it later, somehow.
(the ring)

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

RickoniX posted:

(the ring)

If by which you mean that it was going to get in PM's hands eventually, I think that's not really foreshadowing.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So about the horrorterrors. Do you think they well maybe help stop LE?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fat_Cow posted:

We still don't know who's killing them, and LE is the real wildcard of that scale who I can think of, so I'd say so.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
And what are they? I favor the theory of players who have passed on and finished the haunting/dream bubble phase, myself, but maybe they're just big eldrich monsters.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Fat_Cow posted:

The Horrorterrors are really one of the biggest question marks left. They could be favoring LE, they could be favoring the kids/trolls, they could somehow be working in favor of both or only themselves. Apparently they're crying out because they're being slaughtered and that's a detriment to the perpetuation of reality itself.... But that's just what we hear from Rose and who knows if they're telling the truth or Rose's interpretation is accurate.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004740

I think that's probably my favorite page in all of Homestuck.

Favorite flash is definitely JOHN: RISE UP.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The horrorterrors work with the Derse players, so I'm inclined to think they're a part of the preexisting architecture, not something added in, like Lord English.

Aliens can appear in all shapes and forms, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're former players of one type or the other.

My supposition is that Horrorterror land is where you are supposed to go when you Scratch and don't escape the way the kids did.

Who better to guide current players than a whole bank of people who can tell you what mistakes not to do?

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Arrhythmia posted:

We still don't know who's killing them,

creationist believer posted:

Apparently they're crying out because they're being slaughtered

I think it is the Green Sun that is killing them. If a giant fireball suddenly just appeared right beside you, you too would be quite perturbed. They are stuck having it created because if they don't, Beta Timeline, gently caress you, it's created anyways hahahahah eat poo poo Horrorterrors

It is not Lord English himself, because he is too busy actually being in the universe, and eating it or whatever he does.

So the Horrorterrors are stuck creating the thing that kills them, so their only way out of it is to get a bunch of people who can destroy it. So to ensure that they have the best chance of destroying it, they get those people to be the ones who create it. Then they are already right there, ready to undo all their hard work.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Saradiart posted:

Favorite flash is definitely JOHN: RISE UP.

Oh, absolutely. Savior of the Waking World is a beautiful piece of music, the visuals are dramatic, and the resurrection themes are powerfully emotional.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Speaking of the Scratch and how the kids escaped it, does this mean they don't end up being their guardians' guardians like the first troll session?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

That's always been my assumption. I mean, if the scratch resets the timeline/session and you escape getting reset...
Although I can only imagine the hell that would play with how the pre-game run up would go with half the actors missing.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

creationist believer posted:

The Horrorterrors are really one of the biggest question marks left. They could be favoring LE, they could be favoring the kids/trolls, they could somehow be working in favor of both or only themselves. Apparently they're crying out because they're being slaughtered and that's a detriment to the perpetuation of reality itself.... But that's just what we hear from Rose and who knows if they're telling the truth or Rose's interpretation is accurate.
It's interesting that, considering how time works in the Furthest Ring, it's quite possible that whatever's killing the Horrorterros hasn't gotten there yet from our perspective. Like, it could be Jack, who heads out there the same way the trolls just did. He does like to kill things, after all, and after destroying two universes (in two different incarnations, but still), he might as well start in on the meta-universe, which seems to be mostly horrorterrors.

Alternately there's some twist where the trolls or kids start killing them. Or they're casualties in whatever the final boss battle is. In any case, I bet whatever it is we're going to see it start.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
While I was skimming through the archives I saw a passage in Karkat's early pages that I really hope doesn't get recalled by whatever portion of Hussie's brain is reserved for turning minor details into huge plot events:

quote:

You have bound a subloop to the lifespan of the code's author, which is you. Any routine at the end will execute when you die. You figure this might be handy for coding something to release a final will and testament.

If Karkat gets the axe and turns out to have covertly working on some secret memo stating that everyone is maybe not the most obnoxious gaggle of buckethumping assholes he ever knew I am going to loving lose it. All of it will be lost, and unable to be found.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
The scratch resets everyone who is in the Medium and the Universe. The kids were all presumably outside the Scratch's influence so they weren't reset. So there'll be a new post-reset version of all our heroes existing at the same time that the pre-reset ones do. It's assumed that the new post-scratch universe will involve a similar ancestor-player reversal that the troll session did, resulting in Grandpa Harley as Jade's grandson who somehow becomes Jade's penpal.

Eiba posted:

It's interesting that, considering how time works in the Furthest Ring, it's quite possible that whatever's killing the Horrorterros hasn't gotten there yet from our perspective. Like, it could be Jack, who heads out there the same way the trolls just did. He does like to kill things, after all, and after destroying two universes (in two different incarnations, but still), he might as well start in on the meta-universe, which seems to be mostly horrorterrors.

Alternately there's some twist where the trolls or kids start killing them. Or they're casualties in whatever the final boss battle is. In any case, I bet whatever it is we're going to see it start.

Ross did say that whatever was killing them happened in the past, now, and in the future, or something like that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The reason I'm pretty sure there will be reset adult versions of the kids is that J refers to Jade as his grandmother.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Regy Rusty posted:

The reason I'm pretty sure there will be reset adult versions of the kids is that J refers to Jade as his grandmother.

It could be an ectobiological grandsom

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
Hey, I'm not sure if this was pointed out yet, but remember the most important character in Homestuck? Well, as we saw in the flash, there's another character watching simultaneously.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Lord of Laughton posted:

Hey, I'm not sure if this was pointed out yet, but remember the most important character in Homestuck? Well, as we saw in the flash, there's another character watching simultaneously.

As if there was any doubt.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Lord of Laughton posted:

This hasn't been brought up at least 4 seperate times yet, no sirree!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lord of Laughton posted:

I've been pointing it out furiously. Just jabbing my fingers with the nastiest grimace.

I knew there was something more sinister than usual about Cal ever since we found out he's a self-perpetuating time loop on top of being half of Doc Scratch and chums with psycho Gamzee and Bec Noir. There's a dark puppetty web over this story, and Cal leers at its center.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Regy Rusty posted:

Personally, my issue is that J = post-reset Grandpa Harley has been the obvious answer for so long, and it's only been reinforced by the story of the player-ancestor reversal of the trolls. It feels like a setup like Scratch's "My guest is already here. Of course it's Spades Slick, who did you expect?" I kind of think it's a distaction, or at least right in an obvious way and wrong in an important way.

Edit: Cal is so creepy and unsettling he's the only source of evil I wouldn't question.

creationist believer fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 31, 2011

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Speaking of Cal, I made this terrible thing awhile ago and I'm not really sure why in retrospect.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Fortis posted:

Speaking of Cal, I made this terrible thing awhile ago and I'm not really sure why in retrospect.
Oh gently caress you I read this in a dark room at 11:57 pm.
Can Cal move on his own? I was never sure if it was him or Bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pastrymancy posted:

Oh gently caress you I read this in a dark room at 11:57 pm.
Can Cal move on his own? I was never sure if it was him or Bro.

Cal's never been shown moving by himself.

But I'm sure you know as well as I do that this doesn't prove anything.