Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Pastrymancy posted:

Oh gently caress you I read this in a dark room at 11:57 pm.
Can Cal move on his own? I was never sure if it was him or Bro.

Cal has been moving Bro the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Cavatica posted:

Cal has been moving Bro the entire time.

Except when it was Gamzee moving him.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Fortis posted:

Except when it was Gamzee moving him.

You mean when he was moving Gamzee.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Ammat The Ankh posted:

You mean when he was moving Gamzee.

Turns out Gamzee coming off of his sopor slime addiction wasn't what made him flip out. :gonk:

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
You know, we never did find out how Cal got to the Veil...

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
As I said before on 10/24, I'm trying to improve my lovely music I started making a month ago by drawing some inspiration from Homestuck. Nowhere near as good as other fanmusic others have created, but oh well.

Supposed to be about The 4 kids finally meeting up. Starting with John’s piano, then Rose’s violin, Jade’s flute, and finally coming in with some Sick Strider Beetz.

annatar
Jan 14, 2007
hellol
What are the horrorterrors is reasonably far down the list of the questions outstanding. The entire situation of Homestuck, even within the parameters of the comic, is still a mostly unexplored mystery.

What is the game, what was it originally intended to do. What is Lord English, his cohorts, and the Green Sun; and are they an in built feature of the game or some sort of emergent corruption or some sort of invasive contagion.

From what we've been presented so far Lord English and his Green Sun to me appear to be acting like a inevitably fatal viral parasite on the universal Game. Without the Green Sun the game would probably happily be creating universes in an infinite procession, with it the created universes are consumed to power the next iteration of the viral contagion into future universe.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Walliard posted:

Yes we did. Cal was in the Veil as a manifestation of Dave's subconscious fear of Cal. A manifestation which later turns out to be the very thing that caused itself to exist, when it travels to earth on a meteor and Bro picks it up, thus causing Dave to fear it.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
Wasn't Dream Cal able to move by himself? Is that a property of Derse/Dave's fear or can Cal actually do that wherever? Just a part that confused me.

Ice_Mallet fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 31, 2011

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Oh gently caress I looked at the track art for Serenade and now I'm sad :(

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Walliard posted:

Gamzee manifests cal into Dave's nightmares -> Rose throws Cal out a window -> Cal is sent through a meteor with Bro -> Cal is cut to pieces during their fight -> Bro repairs cal, repaired cal taken by Jack when he kills bro -> Jack throws Cal at an aradiabot during his entrance into the troll session -> aradiabot malfunctions and teleports back in time to alternia -> cal is found and repaired by kanaya and hangs out in the troll session until it winds up in a chest on the meteor -> Gamzee finds Cal.

There you go.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Ice_Mallet posted:

Wasn't Dream Cal able to move by himself? Is that a property of Derse/Dave's fear or can Cal actually do that wherever? Just a part that confused me.

Dream Cal could move by himself (and possibly talk, Dave mentions him talking in his dreams) but lost those properties when he became a part of the "real world" because in it, puppets can't move or talk without human assistance.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

President Ark posted:

Gamzee manifests cal into Dave's nightmares -> Rose throws Cal out a window -> Cal is sent through a meteor with Bro -> Cal is cut to pieces during their fight -> Bro repairs cal, repaired cal taken by Jack when he kills bro -> Jack throws Cal at an aradiabot during his entrance into the troll session -> aradiabot malfunctions and teleports back in time to alternia -> cal is found and repaired by kanaya and hangs out in the troll session until it winds up in a chest on the meteor -> Gamzee finds Cal.

There you go.

I was referring mainly to the Kanaya's hive -> Meteor step, but I guess Gamzee could've just randomly stopped by, picked him up, and forgot.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Walliard posted:

I was referring mainly to the Kanaya's hive -> Meteor step, but I guess Gamzee could've just randomly stopped by, picked him up, and forgot.

With the way Kanaya's fetch modus works, he was probably just in storage for a while until she found a key, was like "oh I guess he should be here" and put him in a place where Gamzee would easily find him.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Oh gently caress I looked at the track art for Serenade and now I'm sad :(

Galactic Cancer's is kind of a huge downer, too.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Oxxidation posted:

Galactic Cancer's is kind of a huge downer, too.

Noooo :smith:

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

Noooo :smith:

Listen to Escape Pod or I'm a Member of the Midnight Crew to cheer yourself back up :unsmith:

No really, Escape Pod has to be some of the most fun music to come out yet. It's great on the road, too.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

creationist believer posted:

Personally, my issue is that J = post-reset Grandpa Harley has been the obvious answer for so long, and it's only been reinforced by the story of the player-ancestor reversal of the trolls. It feels like a setup like Scratch's "My guest is already here. Of course it's Spades Slick, who did you expect?" I kind of think it's a distaction, or at least right in an obvious way and wrong in an important way.

I've been kind of thinking this too. It just reminds me of when everyone thought that Lord English would be the one at the end of the Troll session. Or hell, that the Tumor would do something other than create the Green Sun. I'm not saying it's impossible but it seems like the sort of thing Andrew would take in a different direction.

vvvv oh nooooooo

Boneless Jogger fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 31, 2011

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

creationist believer posted:

Personally, my issue is that J = post-reset Grandpa Harley has been the obvious answer for so long, and it's only been reinforced by the story of the player-ancestor reversal of the trolls. It feels like a setup like Scratch's "My guest is already here. Of course it's Spades Slick, who did you expect?" I kind of think it's a distaction, or at least right in an obvious way and wrong in an important way.

im not into this but
genderbent kids
its all gone wrong

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Waffnuffly posted:

Listen to Escape Pod or I'm a Member of the Midnight Crew to cheer yourself back up :unsmith:

No really, Escape Pod has to be some of the most fun music to come out yet. It's great on the road, too.

You can't talk about uppers without mentioning Homefree.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off
Maybe I'm coming out of left field here, but I'm not as convinced as everyone else seems to be that "J" is the scratch-reset grandpa Harley. There's never really been any strong evidence to suggest it in my mind other than the 'supposedly being Jade's grandson' thing, and while that seems like a pretty strong clue and all, we still have no idea where these communications between jade and J are coming from/going to. How are they crossing between pre- and post-scratch versions of the kids' universe? I realize time is a big clusterfuck of temporal mechanics and all in this comic and the entire timelines of separate universes can exist independently of each other, but then this isn't two different universes we're talking about, this is two versions of the SAME universe (which isn't the same thing), one of which didn't exist until the other was destroyed. We've seen nothing whatsoever (concrete anyway) regarding a way the two versions of the kids' universe could send communiqués to each other. Hell, for all we know there won't BE a reset universe because maybe the tumor bomb went off before the Scratch took effect and the kids' universe is gone for good.

I mean don't get me wrong, there's a pretty solid chance it is indeed a Scratch-reset version of grandpa Harley, I just don't think it's nearly as much of a sure thing as everyone else seems to. Is it really so hard to believe that it's just good old-fashioned regular time fuckery at play here and Jade's been conversing with her real genuine grandson from the future?

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 31, 2011

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

CidGregor posted:

Hell, for all we know there won't BE a reset universe because maybe the tumor bomb went off before the Scratch took effect and the kids' universe is gone for good.
Well, we know this isn't the case. The issue here is that you're thinking with straightforward narrative time, when it's a good deal more complex than that.

The tumor used the energy of the destruction of our universe, but only at one point (the final point) in our universe's time line. The past of our universe still exists. Or rather, continues to have existed.

Bilious Slick in the Trolls session (our entire universe, past present and future) was killed by Jack's Red Miles, but only at one point in time- the exile's time. We saw Red Miles creeping into the universe as Jack and PM left for the trolls universe.

That's 413 years in the future relative to when the kids play, or when their guardians would play.

(Likewise, the trolls' universe was destroyed in their exiles' time too, long after the trolls' session. I liked that parallel.)

The only thing that makes this a bit awkward is that the Scratch seems to reset not just the game session, but the whole universe, as the Trolls' Scratch seemed to indicate.

... Actually that just doesn't make sense period. How could the universe be destroyed and reset at the same time? Or rather, how could the universe be reset at one point in time and years later (but not many) be destroyed? I mean, clearly the things that destroyed the universe were not a consequence of the post-Scratch timeline so... what's going on there?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Eiba posted:

... Actually that just doesn't make sense period. How could the universe be destroyed and reset at the same time? Or rather, how could the universe be reset at one point in time and years later (but not many) be destroyed? I mean, clearly the things that destroyed the universe were not a consequence of the post-Scratch timeline so... what's going on there?
Jack had already escaped from the kids' session and universe and was chilling in the Troll session. The universal reset wouldn't affect him because... he is already here.

So although the circumstances leading to his existence were wiped away, he would still be around to destroy the now-reset universe frog.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Eiba posted:

It actually makes quite a lot of sense when you consider that the destruction of the kids' universe was external. Quite simply: since Bec Noir was no longer inside the kids' universe, the Scratch does not affect him, much as it does not affect Dave and Rose (who are at the Green Sun), or Jade and John (who left via the fourth wall before the Scratch finished), or any of the trolls (except possibly the Condesce).

The circumstances of Bec Noir's creation no longer exist, but since he is no longer in the kids' universe, it doesn't matter.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
In the same way that John can both die (jetpacking into the Denizen's lair) and be saved (by Davesprite) at the same time I guess. Think of almost everything (depending on how much the Scratch resets) we've seen so far of the Kid's universe/session as being one big Beta timeline.

Compare it to Davesprite's creation, or the Beta Aradia's story of Gamzee going insane early:

-Jacks ascension <=> John derping into the Denizen portal <=> Gamzee slaughtering everyone
-Activating the Scratch <=> Beta Dave going back <=> Beta Aradia going back
-??????????<=> Beta Dave becomes Davesprite; stops John <=> Aradia makes sure Karkat runs the code
-The Kids being outside their universe <=> Rose going to sleep and some of her memories persisting/Dave becoming doomed <=> Aradia becoming doomed

So yeah, the universe gets destroyed, but not across all timelines or at all points of time. If someone were to time travel to prevent the events that led to its destruction, then it'd just be a particularly nasty end to a Beta timeline I guess.
How exactly you'd prevent that I don't know but that's the gist of things I think.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Those make a lot of sense, but hey theory making is fun so I'll throw out another one. It might be another glitch, like the pre-scratch troll session had. If Bilious Slick doesn't exist, how can their universe exist? I don't really know how that'd work, though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Boneless Jogger posted:

Those make a lot of sense, but hey theory making is fun so I'll throw out another one. It might be another glitch, like the pre-scratch troll session had. If Bilious Slick doesn't exist, how can their universe exist? I don't really know how that'd work, though.

That's also simple, and can be answered in two ways:

1) Assuming Bilious Slick still exists, but was killed by Red Miles: Slick wasn't always dead, so his history still remains. His history, in this case, being the post-Scratch universe (and everything before it.) The pre-Scratch universe happened, and things emerged from Slick as a result, but as far as he is concerned, there's just the post-Scratch universe.

2) Assuming Bilious Slick no longer exists as a result of Red Miles: he may not exist anymore, but that is not the same thing as him never having existed. For a while, he didn't exist, then the trolls created him and he became a universe. For a while, he was the post-Scratch universe (the pre-Scratch universe was overwritten by the post-Scratch universe, so it effectively does not exist, while things that escaped from it do because of the reasons outlined in the past few posts).

Very simple.

annatar
Jan 14, 2007
hellol
I think a session's incipisphere is seperate to and outside of its host universe, although they are obviously connected. John and Jade escape the hard reboot of their incipisphere and Sburb session (which would influence their original universe if it still existed), not Jack's destruction of the kid's universe.

Its undetermined whether a host universe being eliminated has an effect on the associated incipisphere.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I wonder if there is a generally accepted animal that devours frogs, the way lions do deers and such. Keeping thematical sense and all, would kinda narrow down Lord English?
Wonder if we'll ever see him at all, but don't really mind either outcome.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

King of Solomon posted:

...or any of the trolls (except possibly the Condesce).

This is actually an interesting point. Assuming the Scratch does go through in something resembling a normal manner (and Hussie has explicitly said that the hard reset did happen, although he hasn't clarified how the death of the universe affects this) and assuming that Betty Crocker is indeed the Condesce, how does the Scratch affect her? The easy answer would be that she just wouldn't be there because she came in from outside, I suppose.

The question might be made moot by her disappearance, anyway. We don't know what the deal was with that; she vanished from Nanna's life well before the kids' meteors arrived, but then this might also have been her. (If not, that would have had to be Grandpa or someone working for him, which would have interesting implications.)

But if she was gone by the time the game began, there are a few options: she might have just been allowed to die, of course, her task complete... or she might have crossed over to the reset timeline before anyone else did, on LE's orders. (Assuming that he's already there, of course, and that this kind of transfer is possible - the latter part, at least, would follow if J. is reset Grandpa.)

ArfJason posted:

I wonder if there is a generally accepted animal that devours frogs, the way lions do deers and such. Keeping thematical sense and all, would kinda narrow down Lord English?
Wonder if we'll ever see him at all, but don't really mind either outcome.

Storks. (Fitting that he'd involve himself with the process of universe-birthing, too.)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Storks. (Fitting that he'd involve himself with the process of universe-birthing, too.)

That would explain the freakishly tall coat as well.

Though it worries me a bit how easy it is to picture a stork playing pool. Not with arms or anything, just a regular stork like all holding the cue in its claws and jumping around on the table to line up a shot.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I stand by my 'theory' (read: blind hope) that Lord English is actually DMK. Just because I want to see Problem Sleuth actually recognized by the giant, bloated fandom that is Homestuck.

Unrelated: Is anyone else actually kind of excited to see what kind of HS fan flashes come out of NG? There might actually be one or two talented folks still hanging around there among the billions of zerglings festering and laughing at the same four jokes over and over.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Oct 31, 2011

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Colon V posted:

I stand by my 'theory' (read: blind hope) that Lord English is actually DMK. Just because I want to see Problem Sleuth actually recognized by the giant, bloated fandom that is Homestuck.

I sort of like this idea.

DMK could have been some game construct that just got absolutely corrupted/hosed up.

Secretly Problem Sleuth was actually a prototype of Sburb or some world that got mutated into this self-perpetuating game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Eiba posted:

Well, we know this isn't the case. The issue here is that you're thinking with straightforward narrative time, when it's a good deal more complex than that.

The tumor used the energy of the destruction of our universe, but only at one point (the final point) in our universe's time line. The past of our universe still exists. Or rather, continues to have existed.

Bilious Slick in the Trolls session (our entire universe, past present and future) was killed by Jack's Red Miles, but only at one point in time- the exile's time. We saw Red Miles creeping into the universe as Jack and PM left for the trolls universe.
Actually this is something that strikes me as a bit inconsistent. From the perspective of the Trolls' incipisphere, all points of time of our universe should be reflected and observed. We see this most prominently with trollian and the trolls' ability to obseve almost any point of the kids' timeline. Why then is it different for Jack and his red miles? Why does that only affect the very end of the universe rather than all points?

The nature/status of the kids' Bilious Slick after the scratch is probably what I am most interested in at the moment.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Oxyclean posted:

I sort of like this idea.

DMK could have been some game construct that just got absolutely corrupted/hosed up.

Secretly Problem Sleuth was actually a prototype of Sburb or some world that got mutated into this self-perpetuating game.
Well, if my crackpot theory #5683 is correct, Problem Sleuth, Bard Quest, Jailbreak, Homestuck and Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff are all versions of Sburb-like games.

Mspaintadventures.com is literally the Furthest Ring.

Roger Explosion fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 31, 2011

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
This would be a great place for a terrible "furthest webring" joke if this story were being told 10-15 years ago. Count your blessings.

Nate RFB posted:

Why does that only affect the very end of the universe rather than all points?

Because it ends the universe, so whenever it happens to happen is when the end of the universe is. I guess that only shifts the question to why it would be that particular point in time, one possible answer to which is that that's when Jack left that universe.

But I definitely agree that it's a bit confusing and the Scratch makes it more so. Will the reset universe also be destroyed by the same means at the same point on its timeline? At a different point, as narrative convenience circumstantial simultaneity demands? Is it a different part of the same frog, or the same frog put back together differently, or another frog entirely, out of Jack's reach?

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Oxyclean posted:

My theory is that the pink moon of alternia is Problem Sleuth's "Imaginary" world, the little pink moon is the four kingdoms, and the green moon is the "real" world.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
Speaking of the giant bloated fandom, I was recently asked by a couple of con-organizer friends what this Homestuck business was all about. They'd seen the ridiculous increase in HS costumes, and wanted to figure out how to capitalize on it (for panels and such). I gave the overall synopsis and mentioned the dozen troll characters, which was met with, "I honestly can't tel a difference. They all look kind of alike. Zodiac symbol shirts, grey skin, and either long or short hair. As far as I can tell there's a male version, a female version, & that's the extent of variety."

That brought up an interesting perspective. All the trolls are so well-characterized by their dialogue, that their appearance is kind of secondary. It's not really a problem for the reader, but a few dozen costumers start to blend together. Especially compared to the usual anime costume fare, where bright colors and green hair make one character distinguishable from another, and the dialogue/characterization kind of runs together.

Of course, it could also be the result of lazy kids buying WP shirts and grey paint and leaving it at that. It still seemed like an interesting perspective.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Amateur Sketch posted:

I gave the overall synopsis and mentioned the dozen troll characters, which was met with, "I honestly can't tel a difference. They all look kind of alike. Zodiac symbol shirts, grey skin, and either long or short hair. As far as I can tell there's a male version, a female version, & that's the extent of variety."

That's a really strange perspective. I agree that the chatlogs do a lot to characterise the characters, but each of the troll's individual typing quirks can also be adapted to their clothes. Their outfits are varied enough that even to the casual observer, they should be able to tell the difference between say, Vriska and Feferi, or Karkat and Equius.

Same with the kids really. It's actually quite interesting how well characterised the sprites are with only a few small cosmetic changes, especially with the kids when it was mostly monochrome. At least the trolls have a certain style or colours associated with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Radio Paranoia posted:

That's a really strange perspective. I agree that the chatlogs do a lot to characterise the characters, but each of the troll's individual typing quirks can also be adapted to their clothes. Their outfits are varied enough that even to the casual observer, they should be able to tell the difference between say, Vriska and Feferi, or Karkat and Equius.

Same with the kids really. It's actually quite interesting how well characterised the sprites are with only a few small cosmetic changes, especially with the kids when it was mostly monochrome. At least the trolls have a certain style or colours associated with them.

It sounded to me like the guy was commenting on the cosplayers specifically and hasn't even looked at the actual trolls. I can understand that perspective 100%, since most cosplayers don't really look that different in a huge group shot if you aren't familiar with the material.