Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus

Aatrek posted:

Feedly looks pretty, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to remove the pre-installed feeds. Any help?
As far as I can tell, you can't remove the "Essentials" category. But you can set it to show "Latest" every time you open the app, which will only show your RSS feeds. First option when you hit the menu key, manually type in "Latest". Then, it will only show the preinstalled RSS feeds when you specifically switch to that category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Any idea how to remove bookmarks from my Tablet browser? there's no option, and it seems to have all the saved bookmarks from my phone. Is there some centralized database of my bookmarks saved somewhere? I don't have to edit them all on my phone, do I?

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004
I just tried using feedly. It is so unorganized. I have no idea what I am looking at, how to find what I want to look at and how to mark things I don't want to look at as read.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

fudsak posted:

I just tried using feedly. It is so unorganized. I have no idea what I am looking at, how to find what I want to look at and how to mark things I don't want to look at as read.
You could try gReader.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

torjus posted:

You could try gReader.

This is what I use. I prefer all of my feeds to be in a short little list that I can just glance over and quickly get through because I only read my feeds on my lunch break.

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004
Rapsey, I know you guys ordered a Revue box to try to develop a compatible version of Emit now that it runs Honeycomb. How has that been going?

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
I'm using the new WidgetLocker and I must be dumb. How do I delete my old sliders now that I'm running the ICS one? I have 4 default Android sliders and they can't be long pressed to edit like the ICS one. It's like they're the stock ones there but not because there's a text and camera one.

landis posted:

Long press in the empty space in the middle of the sliders.

Thanks!

VibrioCholera fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 31, 2011

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.
Long press in the empty space in the middle of the sliders.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

fudsak posted:

Rapsey, I know you guys ordered a Revue box to try to develop a compatible version of Emit now that it runs Honeycomb. How has that been going?
Those pre release honeycomb versions either had disabled video streaming or the actual honeycomb will have disabled streaming. None of the protocols that regular Android supports work. So we are waiting for the official release to try again.

In other news. I've just updated our Emit server app. You can now change ports and the server recognizes DVD folders and plays videos nicely by title.

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

Rapsey posted:

Those pre release honeycomb versions either had disabled video streaming or the actual honeycomb will have disabled streaming. None of the protocols that regular Android supports work. So we are waiting for the official release to try again.

In other news. I've just updated our Emit server app. You can now change ports and the server recognizes DVD folders and plays videos nicely by title.

The official release is out afaik, the SDK has been out for a few weeks too. But video streaming disabled? That's crazy talk!

EDIT: wouldn't you be able to do a flash-based stream if nothing else, like through your website?

fudsak fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 31, 2011

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I was using the built in Weather widget and I didn't like it because it took up the entire width of my phone (Thunderbolt) when all it did was say today's weather plus the temperature. That's something that can easily fit in a 1x1 sized widget.

So I downloaded GoWeather which unfortunately did the same thing, but had a fairly well-hidden feature where it will actually place the temperature in your status bar (right where the battery life is). This means I can completely free my home screen of any weather widget, which is nice because I don't like having more than 1 home screen.

Which got me thinking... is there any app that will put the temperature and a little icon of the weather in my status bar? Basically all it will show is: 42F (drop of water indicating it's raining). Does this exist? I find I am way more likely to pay attention to the weather if it's in the status bar rather than looking at the home screen (which I never do no matter how hard I try to remember). Thanks!

(Also, I tried figuring this out on my own, I swear, but is there any good app that works as a caller ID? Meaning if it's a listed landline, AT&T cell, or business, it will show their info even though they aren't in my contact list?). I don't mind buying one but all the ones I find want a monthly fee.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 31, 2011

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Hamburglar posted:

(Also, I tried figuring this out on my own, I swear, but is there any free app that works as a caller ID? Meaning if it's a listed landline, AT&T cell, or business, it will show their info even though they aren't in my contact list?). I don't mind buying one but all the ones I find want a monthly fee.

No suggestion here but always wondered why cell phones can't get the name from cid like a landline? they've been able to for probably close to 20 years now.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Wagonburner posted:

No suggestion here but always wondered why cell phones can't get the name from cid like a landline? they've been able to for probably close to 20 years now.

I always wondered this, too. Would be incredibly useful for when I get random numbers calling me and I quickly Google them before answering, only to find out it's Citibank and by then I already missed the call.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I'm having issues with WidgetLocker.

I bought/downloaded it when I found out I can have the ICS lockscreen on my Thunderbolt. So I set everything up, and it LOOKS great, but it's just super clunky. It takes a while for it to unlock, and turning the screen on/off takes a longer time for it to come up.

I know it's because of WL, because when I removed it, everything went back to normal.

For what it's worth, I'm running CM7.1.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hamburglar posted:

Which got me thinking... is there any app that will put the temperature and a little icon of the weather in my status bar? Basically all it will show is: 42F (drop of water indicating it's raining). Does this exist? I find I am way more likely to pay attention to the weather if it's in the status bar rather than looking at the home screen (which I never do no matter how hard I try to remember). Thanks!
I know there is one as I've seen it in screenshots but I don't know what it is.

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

Hamburglar posted:

I was using the built in Weather widget and I didn't like it because it took up the entire width of my phone (Thunderbolt) when all it did was say today's weather plus the temperature. That's something that can easily fit in a 1x1 sized widget.

So I downloaded GoWeather which unfortunately did the same thing, but had a fairly well-hidden feature where it will actually place the temperature in your status bar (right where the battery life is). This means I can completely free my home screen of any weather widget, which is nice because I don't like having more than 1 home screen.

(Also, I tried figuring this out on my own, I swear, but is there any good app that works as a caller ID? Meaning if it's a listed landline, AT&T cell, or business, it will show their info even though they aren't in my contact list?). I don't mind buying one but all the ones I find want a monthly fee.

Weatherbug Elite can put the temperature into the status bar, but I don't know if it indicates rain since I turned it off. The free version might do it as well. Unlike the desktop program, the Weatherbug app is actually quite good. I do not use its widgets, but I do have Fancy Widgets set to open it on tap.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wagonburner posted:

Cell providers don't pass the CID info besides the number to your phone usually.

Apparently, it would cost them like 0.0001 cents per call to do this and they decide to cheap out and only show the number.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
Just picked up a Galaxy SII (no desire for skyrocket, I need to keep my unlimited plan) and looking for a few app recommendations.

IRC Client, Flashcards, Twitter Client, Kids Games

Podcasts:
BeyondPod, Pocket Casts or DoggCatcher?

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

calcio posted:

Just picked up a Galaxy SII (no desire for skyrocket, I need to keep my unlimited plan) and looking for a few app recommendations.

IRC Client, Flashcards, Twitter Client, Kids Games

Podcasts:
BeyondPod, Pocket Casts or DoggCatcher?
I use Beyondpod for podcasts and Plume for Twitter. Both are really good.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
AndChat is a great IRC client

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

calcio posted:

Just picked up a Galaxy SII (no desire for skyrocket, I need to keep my unlimited plan)

Slightly off topic, but do you really lose unlimited on AT&T if you buy an LTE phone? If so, that's pretty terrible.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Ciabatta posted:

Slightly off topic, but do you really lose unlimited on AT&T if you buy an LTE phone? If so, that's pretty terrible.

I rather doubt it, I kept my unlimited plan when going from iPhone unlimited to unlimited for my Inspire 4g.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Just a heads up for anyone not following the Awful app thread, we just released a new version that fixes most of the problems from 2.0 and adds PM support. :getin:

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
Google+ update on the Market, new look (pretty sure it's just like the ICS version) and Google Apps support on board.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Hamburglar posted:

Beautiful Widgets can put the temperature + weather conditions as text in the status bar and weather conditions icon + temperature as a notification, if that's good enough.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

900ftjesus posted:

Google+ update on the Market, new look (pretty sure it's just like the ICS version) and Google Apps support on board.

Does this one not gently caress up the Sense People app?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

hooah posted:

Does this one not gently caress up the Sense People app?

It wasn't just Sense, it was loving up on CM7 when trying to add a new contact. Works fine with this version though.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SplitSoul posted:

Beautiful Widgets can put the temperature + weather conditions as text in the status bar and weather conditions icon + temperature as a notification, if that's good enough.

Hells yes it is. Thanks for this!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's about time the G+ app started using the action bar on Honeycomb. It's also much faster.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

This may be a silly question, but is there anything like Remote Desktop/VNC/LogMeIn for phones that I can have my mom install on her new phone so I can help her with remote troubleshooting? It's a lot easier to help that way than trying to get her to read out error messages and what have you to me. :shobon:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Kyrosiris posted:

This may be a silly question, but is there anything like Remote Desktop/VNC/LogMeIn for phones that I can have my mom install on her new phone so I can help her with remote troubleshooting? It's a lot easier to help that way than trying to get her to read out error messages and what have you to me. :shobon:

If she's rooted there are VNC server apps like Droid VNC Server.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

Kyrosiris posted:

The only way to do this is via a rooted phone and DroidVNC. The reason you need root is Android disallows apps to even take a screenshot of the system let alone stream it out.

Since DroidVNC requires an open port, which sometimes isn't doable. The options available are to have the user VPN into your network, or setup a SSH tunnel. Pretty much all ROMS have built in PPTP & L2TP VPN capability, which can be setup with most Windows flavors. A free VPN solution that might work is NeoRouter (think Hamachi for Android), but I haven't tried it. I have OpenVPN setup on my CM7 ROM, but giving VPN access to any old client is a bit more than I'm willing to do sometimes, so I use a SSH port tunnel.

I setup DroidVNC in combination with ConnectBOT to log into my SSH server (I use Bitvise WinSSHD, it's free for personal use). In the ConnectBot connection configuration I set the following port foward:

Nickname: VNC (can be anything, just a description)
Type: Remote
Source port: 5902 (the port on your SSH server to tunnel to)
Destination: localhost:5901 (the source port on the Android device)

Then, once the user logs into my SSH server, on my desktop I use RealVNC client to connect to 127.0.0.1:5902.

Another tricky thing is DroidVNC hasn't been updated in a while and even though certain keyboard keys are supposed to emulate the soft keys (F1 for menu, Home for Home, Esc for back), sometimes, depending on the device, they don't work. So I use another app, Button Savior (also requires root) to display on screen home/menu/back/search icons.

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 1, 2011

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Awesome, thank you very much for that. I should be able to walk her through all that.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
So I kind of liked the G+ widget, did they do away with it in the new version of G+?

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Codiusprime posted:

So I kind of liked the G+ widget, did they do away with it in the new version of G+?

Apparently there are widgets included, but only for 3.0+ devices. Punit Soni said in a comment that pre-3.0 support will come in an update.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Curses.

Next question: One hour last night is how long I dicked around with Go Launcher trying to figure out how to keep the wallpaper from scrolling. One loving hour. I want that hour back, bit more importantly I want my wallpaper to stop scrolling. Any ideas?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Codiusprime posted:

Curses.

Next question: One hour last night is how long I dicked around with Go Launcher trying to figure out how to keep the wallpaper from scrolling. One loving hour. I want that hour back, bit more importantly I want my wallpaper to stop scrolling. Any ideas?

Preferences, screen settings, normal/portrait wallpaper

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
I have a question about battery temps. I just downloaded a new app to help my sleep schedule. It's called "Sleep for Android" and it works loving awesome. However, it is constantly running all night to log your sleep cycles which requires it to be plugged in and left on your mattress beside you or under your pillow.

Anyway, I tried it for the first time last night and in the morning when it woke me up, The phone was pretty warm. I quickly checked the battery temp and it was at 46 degrees Celsius. Should I be worried or is it fine for an app to run all night while simultaneously the phone being charged? The same thing happens when using GPS in the car while it is plugged in, however the GPS is usually only on for an hour while this sleep app is on all night.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Processor & sensors & charge circuit running all night in an insulated setting? Yeah if it was that effective I'd invest in a dedicated device designed to run in those conditions. You're asking for trouble there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Lprsti99 posted:

Preferences, screen settings, normal/portrait wallpaper

I love you.

Seriously. Every other home replacement has a scrolling wallpaper option.

Thanks again.

• Locked thread