Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Miss Parekh sounds awesome.

Did Henriette learn to speak Hindi? Or was she like a weeaboo in that respect as well, couldn't be bothered to learn the language of the culture she "loves"?

Viola the Mad fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

She knows Hindi, or at least I think she knows. I have heard her on the phone speaking in an Indian-sounding language rapidly, and to be frank I don't know anything about the language at all. For all I know she may be speaking Gujarati or Tamil.

Or she could be pretending to speak with another person, who knows! One of the people she conversed on the phone in Hindi with was her spiritual husband (not Sai Baba, the other one).

I just found my old private blog I kept during the time, here are some more random information that I have apparently catalouged because I am a giant sperg.

Henriette's claims include:

* a diploma in drama/film, graduated with honours

* winning international awards for operatic singing

* she was a model once for several prominent modeling agencies

* she was also the model for the cardboard cutoffs for photo studios, but we wouldn't see them unless we go to Little India in Kuala Lumpur (this was confirmed false)

* she went into law instead of a solo singing career (not acting, I was mistaken) in Hong Kong, which she had to give up because (conveniently) the contract was offered during the avian flu epidemic

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study
AFAIK Sai Baba has recently come under fire since his death for sexual misconduct towards many of his followers, coercing them to perform sex acts under the guise of ceremonial activities. Although I'm sure Henriette would never believe such a thing, if indeed it's true.

Part of Everything fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 31, 2011

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Keep in mind that the attitude that creepy anime guy exhibits isn't at all unusual among the creepier male fans, although he takes it to an extreme. You see a lot of the same viewpoints on /a/, although at least there you can pretend that they are trolls and/or stupid teenagers. Like I said before, there a difference between crazy male fans and crazy female fans, although it is hard to tell which is worse.

Jamacian_Accent
May 2, 2009

raas claat
I am not sure if I should find it comforting or worrisome that so many people have 'that friend'.

I had two, but they weren't anywhere near as crazy as Dennise.

I spoke about 'Star Wars' girl in an old 'That Guy' thread. She decided one day that we would be friends, because I too liked animes, and sci-fi, and I dressed SO COOL (aka Hottopic Goth). She ran up to me at Lunch and asked me if I wanted to know my true name. I'm Midnight, Raven Witch Queen of the Black Fae Folk or something, pleased to meet you.

She's now the Greatx3,000 Granddaughter of Bobba Fett because her dad went to jail for something, and then he broke out and ran to Tennessee where there was an illegal boxing match and you know what -that means-. And she can kill a man with a teacup because she's had secret military training and she's going to get the CIA Agents that killed Kennedy because she's seen tapes man, she's seen em.

Took a creative writing class with her, all her stories were about her Spy Soldier Bobba Fett Jedi Thing who lived in trees and walked on broken glass for training from her elderly Japanese kung fu master. Basically the plot was The Matrix + Narnia(magical dream world except the symbolism was Star Wars Symbolism, not Christian) + Kill Bill.

Then there was 'Luminia' or something, her real name was Ashley. There was this game, for the life of me I can't remember it but she played it -religiously-. It doesn't matter what it was just pick your favorite japanese RPG and supplement it. There was the female character (who was not the damsel in distress) but the bitchy comedic value character.

That was her, in the Astral Plane. She was married to Vegeta from DBZ (who was also the lead singer from Linkin Park). She would draw the same pictures of her character making out with Vegeta, over and over.

She'd come to my house and download picture upon picture upon picture of Vegeta.

Finally I put my foot down because of various other things that were stupid and trivial at the time but enough to piss my 15 year old self off. I told her to hit the road.

She was possessed by a demon, named Shikai. She would make new instant messenger names and spam me with "DEATH DEATH DEATH DEATH" over and over. Sometimes it was romanji stuff 'Kuro Death Death You are a Baka Desu.' At the time I found it hilarious and would gently caress with her to give me details about Shikai and what he was like.

He was a Japanese Fox Demon, who came to her because she was so beautiful and was displeased with my transgressions against her. Yes she was still married to Vegeta, they shared her, and Vegeta was kinky like that and was big into demon possessed astral loving.

Brimming with maturity, one of our last IM conversation was just me interrupting her death spam with "The Power of Christ Compels You" until she blocked me. Not before her last post of *HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS*

Months later she emailed me to thank me, for saving her. I had channeled the healing energy of Jesus to her that day. She went to church, was healed. All was well, would I like to hang out some time?

Deleted the email.

Saw her the other day, she's got a kid and a job now. Good on her.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Jamacian_Accent posted:

She was married to Vegeta from DBZ (who was also the lead singer from Linkin Park).

Whoa... so she was married to Denise's dad?!

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I'm sorry, I just kind of drifted off into a drooling mess about here. That sounds positively fantastic.

My mother always spoke highly of the food she had when she visited the UK, but never really went into detail on anything. I certainly wouldn't mind paying a visit myself some day, for more than just the food.

Now if Top Gear can stay a thing long enough for me to get famous, I can kill two birds with one stone.

Edit:

Holy poo poo, look at this.

"Japan itself is just one big contradiction. It makes no sense to me. Anime and manga portray this free reality of no boundaries but Japan is so restricted and constrained."

It's like he(?) doesn't understand the concept of escapist media. The entire most recent post seems to be about how Japan isn't at all like the animes he used to escape from his lovely life when he was a kid and he doesn't know why.

"Japan is the greatest and I hate all that hate Japan. So that means I hate my grandmother. She constantly brings up poo poo like, “THEY BOMBED PEARL HARBAR!!!!111″ Yeah well I would be pissed off if my country was nuked too!! I want to become a Japanese citizen some day. I hate reading garbage where people bash Japan because Japan is a lot better than any other nation out there. Japan has no economic problems or blacks like in America. Japan isn’t Korea. Japan has anime, manga and video games. All the things this guy talked about in his lovely article are reasons why I LOVE Japan. If he doesn’t like it he should just get out."

Aha. So what we now know is that Pearl Harbor was bombed because America nuked...wait what? Japan has no economic problems or blacks like in America. No, see, a relatively isolationist island state (with rather massive economic problems, actually. It's only been five years or so since they started recovering) will most likely not have any black people. Bah.

Reading through it a bit more and oh wow, turns out he's a lolicon-racist-homophobe who doesn't like real life women.

Edit: Someone needs to invent that machine to punch people in the face over the internet.

V Everything is still hosed as hell, yes. It's just only since 2005 that they haven't been in free fall downwards. Now it's just run of the mill hosed instead of being "oh God it's terrifying now, and it's getting much worse each day", so yeah, it's like the US 'recovery.'

Exercu fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 31, 2011

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

They're recovering? Because drat every Okinawan I talk to says that everything is still hosed. I mean, yes, Okinawa but it's still Japanese governmental stuff. Or is this you know, like the US 'recovery'?

Most of the news I read isn't too hopeful either.

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Remember that time Japan raped an entire city? Or that time they tried to eradicate korea's entire culture? Because I don't, I was too busy watching anime instead of doing history homework.

Jamacian_Accent
May 2, 2009

raas claat

Nessa posted:

Whoa... so she was married to Denise's dad?!

OP's Denise is actually Ashley/Shikai's baby sent back in time from the future/alternate universe.

Elite Einherjar
Dec 1, 2009

Exercu posted:

"Japan is the greatest and I hate all that hate Japan. So that means I hate my grandmother. She constantly brings up poo poo like, “THEY BOMBED PEARL HARBAR!!!!111″ Yeah well I would be pissed off if my country was nuked too!! I want to become a Japanese citizen some day. I hate reading garbage where people bash Japan because Japan is a lot better than any other nation out there. Japan has no economic problems or blacks like in America. Japan isn’t Korea. Japan has anime, manga and video games. All the things this guy talked about in his lovely article are reasons why I LOVE Japan. If he doesn’t like it he should just get out."

Aha. So what we now know is that Pearl Harbor was bombed because America nuked...wait what? Japan has no economic problems or blacks like in America. No, see, a relatively isolationist island state (with rather massive economic problems, actually. It's only been five years or so since they started recovering) will most likely not have any black people. Bah.

Reading through it a bit more and oh wow, turns out he's a lolicon-racist-homophobe who doesn't like real life women.

Someone should tell him that in Japan HE is the BLACK PEOPLE. :supaburn:

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Exercu posted:

"Japan isn’t Korea. Japan has anime, manga and video games."

I thought South Korea had all those things too? And video games are far more popular there? And if the guy wants to bring up WWII with his grandma, I'm pretty sure Korea wasn't responsible for this, this, or this.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There needs to be a German word for "the feeling you get when you read something written by an anime-obsessed guy who's managed to get to Japan and realised that it's nothing like what they were dreaming of".

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 31, 2011

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

MikeJF posted:

There needs to be a German word for the feeling you get when you read something written by an anime-obsessed guy who's managed to get to Japan and realised that it's nothing like what they were dreaming of.

He seems to still be teaching elementary school children while being an insanely dedicated creepy pedophile, so I think the word you're looking for is "scheisse".

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

RPZip posted:

He seems to still be teaching elementary school children while being an insanely dedicated creepy pedophile, so I think the word you're looking for is "scheisse".

True, I was thinking more in the general case. This guy's a whole other ball of poo poo.

Corbid Muriosity
Sep 4, 2011
All of this talk of cartoons and Linkin Park reminds me of how any time I have ever heard them on the radio I automatically picture Beavis and Butthead singing. Because, well, that is what those two guys sound like. To me anyway. Seriously, just picture Beavis screaming into a microphone, "Craaaaawling in my skiiiiiiin!!".

I'm loving the stories here, especially the ones about Denise. Having never known anyone like this in real life it just blows my mind and makes me think something is broken in this chicks head and she seriously needs to be on some kind of medication. It does however remind me of when me and a few friends thought we were vampires. This lasted for a few days, maybe a week. You know, when we were nine.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
So if all of us had one of "those friends," what are the odds that every one of those friends came up with this same crazy story on their own? What if it's not a crazy story. What if they were telling the truth this whole time? :tinfoil:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hoover Dam posted:

Nope--Sai Baba and Hare Krishnas are different groups. They do, however, both inspire Indian-weeaboo-ism among western devotees.

It's not really the same thing at all. Hare Krishnas belong to a religious organization that deliberately recruits people all over the world, including westerners. It's not really the same thing as a "fandom" and it's not really any different than people in India who are Christian priests and wear the appropriate robes etc.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

MikeJF posted:

There needs to be a German word for "the feeling you get when you read something written by an anime-obsessed guy who's managed to get to Japan and realised that it's nothing like what they were dreaming of".

I think "Schadenfreude" is pretty close.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Tasty and Delicious posted:

Remember that time Japan raped an entire city? Or that time they tried to eradicate korea's entire culture? Because I don't, I was too busy watching anime instead of doing history homework.

If you read more of his blog, you find out that Korea doesn't have any genuine culture of its own, it stole everything from China and Japan. True facts.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Stottie Kyek posted:

I thought South Korea had all those things too? And video games are far more popular there?

:ssh: Keep that on the DL you don't want to attract any more fan boys that can't stop screaming about Slayers Boxer, My Sassy Girl, or how "karaoke" should be "norebang"

Tasty and Delicious
Jun 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That poo poo's for nerd losers, kpop and kdrama is where it's at.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Lote posted:

:ssh: Keep that on the DL you don't want to attract any more fan boys that can't stop screaming about Slayers Boxer, My Sassy Girl, or how "karaoke" should be "norebang"

"But the ulzzang girls are so gwi yeo weo" :keke: oh god I can't continue I felt horrible and dirty writing that.

Thinking on it, there are a lot of continental fangirls over here - usually upper-class British girls who oh my gosh love France and Italy so much, having only been to the nice bits of them, if at all, and keep twisting English words to sound foreign, like "marveloso" and "-ahhdjz" on words that end in "-age". Listening to some IAM and paying attention to the lyrics, or visiting a banlieue would do them the world of good.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

uglynoodles posted:

I can read and write Hiragana, Katakana, and limited Kanji

SUMIMASEN, NIHONGO NI HANASHIMASEN

You wrote お wrong :ssh:

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Yes, I realised that I spelled it "Yoi" by mistake after I'd done it. It's what I get for drawing it at like 2am. :D

Normie Chomsky
Apr 10, 2008

Earwicker posted:

It's not really the same thing at all. Hare Krishnas belong to a religious organization that deliberately recruits people all over the world, including westerners. It's not really the same thing as a "fandom" and it's not really any different than people in India who are Christian priests and wear the appropriate robes etc.

I think the confusion stems from the fact that actual Indians tend to look down on Hare Krishna followers; specifically white westerners, since it looks like a romanticized Hindu sect that's been perverted along with Yoga and this new craze of *'chai tea' into our own weaboo thing, much like how the average Japanese person probably feels when he sees a crazed anime-fan trying to act Japanese based off their favorite anime, while knowing nothing else about Japanese culture.

I personally have no problem with it all, and have a (white) friend who's become very interested in Hinduism and has mentioned becoming a Hare Krishna follower to me before. There's certainly a difference between researching the religion and getting involved with a temple/community because it interests you, and learning a few yoga poses to seem ~*~spiritual~*~ as your only knowledge of India. It doesn't help that certain groups in the West will purposefully hype up certain elements as being very mystical and spiritual to attract recruits, whilst completely ignoring the rest of the religion/culture. Doesn't mean that the entire movement is like this, though, but that's how it tends to come across to Indians.

*'chai' is the generic word for tea in most Indian languages, so calling it 'chai tea' is redundant and kinda funny.

Normie Chomsky fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 31, 2011

PutinOnTheRitz
Oct 25, 2010
I have recently realized I am a "Deutschaboo" and I can't stop myself. Struggling to learn the language, hoarding every food/drink/cultural item I can, desperately want to go there, love the music and media and etc etc etc I'm a horrible person.

At least I know of the country's history and don't deny the bad parts. I just want to skip about the autobahn a few times and hit up a biergarten is all. :(

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Mixoux posted:

*'chai' is the generic word for tea in most Indian languages, so calling it 'chai tea' is redundant and kinda funny.

I learned this fact when I started studying Farsi after years of ordering "chai tea" at Indian restaurants and felt like an idiot. Later when I simply ordered tea, the waiter brought me Lipton. :v:

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

PutinOnTheRitz posted:

I have recently realized I am a "Deutschaboo" and I can't stop myself. Struggling to learn the language, hoarding every food/drink/cultural item I can, desperately want to go there, love the music and media and etc etc etc I'm a horrible person.

At least I know of the country's history and don't deny the bad parts. I just want to skip about the autobahn a few times and hit up a biergarten is all. :(

Don't worry mate, I doubt anyone takes it as far or as bad as weeaboos. I used to be a weeaboo in high school, up until I got out, and was able to try lots of fantastical new things. I really would love to get a chance to hit Hong Kong and Taiwan, and many other places in East Asia along with Germany and Belgium :3:

Also, I became a kickin' Korean chef, and serve banchan (awesome little side dishes) with almost every meal.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

PutinOnTheRitz posted:

There's a difference between really liking/loving a culture and being a *-aboo. Considering how little European culture the US gets (I'm just assuming you're a US goon :razz: ) directly from Europe, I'd probably hoard all the spatzel I could too, if I was a fan.

So maybe you're a little bit of a "Deutschaboo" but you aren't expecting to go over there and the whole country be made of oompah music and folks running around in stereotypical oktoberfest clothes and stuff. Weeaboos generally really do think anime=Japan.

E: All that said, I wanna go too. The dog training over there is a hell of an experience :swoon:

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Talran posted:

Don't worry mate, I doubt anyone takes it as far or as bad as weeaboos. I used to be a weeaboo in high school, up until I got out, and was able to try lots of fantastical new things. I really would love to get a chance to hit Hong Kong and Taiwan, and many other places in East Asia along with Germany and Belgium :3:

Also, I became a kickin' Korean chef, and serve banchan (awesome little side dishes) with almost every meal.

Just looked up banchan, and holy poo poo, that sounds delicious. It sounds a lot like rijsttafel, the Dutch-Indonesian version thereof. I've only made one of those once, though, when we had like 20 of our friends round to watch one of Holland's World Cup games and I had an excuse to make one over the course of a few days, keeping things ready in the fridge. I can't imagine doing it for nearly every meal, though. You really must be a kickin' chef!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Viola the Mad posted:

I learned this fact when I started studying Farsi after years of ordering "chai tea" at Indian restaurants and felt like an idiot. Later when I simply ordered tea, the waiter brought me Lipton. :v:

I had something like the opposite. I had been studying Russian when "chai" started to be a Thing in the Midwest. All these people talking about the best place to get "chai" and I really really got confused.

Clockroach
Dec 12, 2010
I know chai means tea, but what is it that I drink exactly when I get a "chai tea" at a coffee shop or whatever? Because there are lots of types of tea, and every "chai" I've had has been the same, even at Indian restaurants.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Clockroach posted:

I know chai means tea, but what is it that I drink exactly when I get a "chai tea" at a coffee shop or whatever? Because there are lots of types of tea, and every "chai" I've had has been the same, even at Indian restaurants.

Spiced tea.

squeegee
Jul 22, 2001

Bright as the sun.

Clockroach posted:

Masala chai, aka spiced tea like the guy above me said.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Stottie Kyek posted:

I thought South Korea had all those things too? And video games are far more popular there? And if the guy wants to bring up WWII with his grandma, I'm pretty sure Korea wasn't responsible for this, this, or this.

If he's bothered by keigo, it's possible that Korean honorifics would give him spastic fits.

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting

Mixoux posted:

Eh, it's not like people are trying to use "chai" as a word from one of those languages. They're using it as an English word that refers to a specific preparation of tea associated with India. That's just what happens to borrows words.

Clockroach posted:

As other people pointed out, in English "chai" refers to a recipe that uses black tea and spices like black pepper, ginger, and cardamom. You can find lots of recipes online, or you could just buy chai loose or in bags.

I am a nederaboo for chocolate vlokken

Absolute Lithops fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 1, 2011

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm pretty grateful that I didn't stick around with my own Denise to have enough stories for an Ask/Tell thread, but the high(low)lights were:
  • Putting on makeup to fake a black eye and claiming she was attacked by random thugs in an alleyway
  • Breaking her own glasses so she could pretend to be clutzy by dropping stuff 2ft away from the table she "meant" to set them on
  • Making a small cut in her hand so she could cough a lot and pretend to be coughing up blood
  • Wrapping her arm in bandages and claiming that she got gangrene from all the times she cut herself
  • Pretending that the aforementioned gangrene had gone inside of her and infected her internal organs, leaving her only 3 months to live
  • Calling me about a year after she was supposed to be dead pretending to have amnesia and wondering who this person on her phone contacts was (and me promptly changing my number within the week)

On the plus side, it did teach me a lot of lessons on how to spot The Crazy and avoid them in future.

Cataphract Paladin
Sep 17, 2011
^ That sounds less like a weaboo and more like an incurable attention whore who had completely lost touch with reality. There are overlaps, but I still like to think the two are distinct groups.

Also @ the -aboo discussion above: I guess that makes me a Romaboo or Parthiaboo. The Roman military are the poo poo, Constantinople was as awesome a city as it could get in its time, and Cataphracts are sexy beasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Well she was a total weeaboo and put on the squeaky anime voice thing, I had forgotten about that in the myraid of other crazy poo poo.

• Locked thread