Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
You shouldn't, he has to understand the risk that goes into making a two part trade. If you really feel that bad you can try and trade back the other pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Ok friends, I'm enlisting your consulting services.

Draft prospects in Gleeman 2 were just released, and I have the 1st overall pick. These are the top choices as my scouting (14/14, drat 1st season limits) sees them, in no particular order:

Album link

My thoughts:
  • Jensen is appetizing as the biggest inning consumer, but there's no way he approaches 100 vsR, even though almost every other rating should get close.
  • Ordonez is a nice hitter, but already 22 and not exactly breaking down the door on his projections yet. Plus sub-80 durability.
  • Kennedy I would have no qualms about playing at 1B, and my organization has no current heir apparent at the position.
  • Manship is the most intriguing guy to me. He can't really be counted on as a 150 IP starter, but he could be a drat good 100 IP reliever. Is that worth a 1st overall?
  • Jennings has the Ordonez problem, but is more of a starter than Manship.

So.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I think I'd go Kennedy.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Manship has the best current ratings by a bit and he's a HSer. I'd pop him.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
If you're fine with Kennedy at first, take him i think. Manship's great but his skillset's a little weird, like you said he's gonna be the best reliever in the league but is that worth more than Kennedy? Doubt it,

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Kennedy's projection looks pretty ambitious to me on everything but power for whatever that's worth. At only $14m I'm trusting current ratings relative to age as much or more than the projections.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I'd be a little concerned with Manship's health/makeup.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

Kennedy's projection looks pretty ambitious to me on everything but power for whatever that's worth. At only $14m I'm trusting current ratings relative to age as much or more than the projections.

If kennedy shakes out something lke 75/90/60/80/85 that's still fantastic though? Not everyone can have leo egan.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

AlleyViper posted:

I'd be a little concerned with Manship's health/makeup.

I once spent a top 5 pick on a guy with 23 health. At 66 with those ratings, I can live with it.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Well, I could live with it too if I were sure the guy was worth the #1 pick. My main point is that, deciding between Manship and Kennedy, I'd view Manship's health/makeup as a knock against him.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

ThatsMyBoye posted:

[*] but there's no way he approaches 100 vsR, even though almost every other rating should get close.
I am extremely new at WiS (20 games into my first season :shobon:), but what makes you say this?

wukkar fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 1, 2011

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

wukkar posted:

I am extremely new at WiS (20 games into my first season :shobon:), but what makes you say this?

I typically think of projections for draftees within 30 points of the current control/velocity/splits as reachable (and typically they plateau at less). Even if a guy develops a bit fast, there's no chance he gains 45 points.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
Playoff time :ohdear:

This has been one of my most fun teams no matter what happens

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

What theme was that for?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Man, my pitching in Hometown is just so, so bad.

So bad.

Power of Pecota posted:

What theme was that for?

Pick Six.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

This team was bad

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
My first ever playoff game sims at PM1. I am actually nervous about simulation baseball.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
Mordecai is killing me this year 3rd best record in the division, 4th in the league, 5 in all of the world :(

21 games over and sitting in WC2/3rd spot in the division.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

That's about how my Ruth team was last season. Fortunately (for me anyway) we've got Beepers in our division now to help me out.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

My offense in Hometown:

code:
Player           Career            Current          Diff
Juan Santiago    .291/.343/.576    .264/.288/.500   -.131
Dioner Zumaya    .282/.345/.522    .319/.379/.511   +.023
Buddy Campbell   .268/.348/.517    .257/.282/.398   -.185
Phil Daugherty   .293/.369/.482    .315/.398/.483   +.030
Rico Lopez       .275/.334/.452    .248/.301/.352   -.133
Andre Camilli    .261/.324/.398    .194/.262/.316   -.144
Travis Brown     .263/.327/.366    .268/.304/.340   -.049
Matt Sauer       .242/.318/.335    .234/.345/.255   -.053	
Woof.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

Groucho Marxist posted:

My first ever playoff game sims at PM1. I am actually nervous about simulation baseball.

Why do I get the feeling all 3 of us will be swept

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I think I'm spoiled by how easy it is to get a trade done in Dimaggio. The response to me saying that Richie Crosby is not the kind of bat I'm looking for in exchange for Pete Barnes should not be to add another bad bat.

e: Also people just shooting me random trade offers with no context drives me nuts. Use trade chat fuckers

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Devo posted:

e: Also people just shooting me random trade offers with no context drives me nuts. Use trade chat fuckers

I don't mind that. Use it as an avenue to open up dialogue. If they didn't send you an offer, and they're not using TC in the first place, you'd probably never know they were interested in someone.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Well the problem is that they never respond back or change their offer after I send them a TC and reject their first offer. Also none of them seem to know what "I want a guy with 80+ power" means.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Devo posted:

Well the problem is that they never respond back or change their offer after I send them a TC and reject their first offer. Also none of them seem to know what "I want a guy with 80+ power" means.
I have that problem with fast guys. I want good speed+base running because one without the other doesn't do me much good. They both need to be high. That doesn't keep people from trying to convince me that I should trade for their guy with 95 speed and 32 base running (typically with horrible splits and contact as well).

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Ivan Drago posted:

one without the other doesn't do me much good. They both need to be high.

Clarence Kraemer would beg to differ.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Ivan Drago posted:

I have that problem with fast guys. I want good speed+base running because one without the other doesn't do me much good. They both need to be high. That doesn't keep people from trying to convince me that I should trade for their guy with 95 speed and 32 base running (typically with horrible splits and contact as well).

Davey Alvarez has about 60 baserunning, and he manages to steal at least 40 a season with his 99 speed. He barely ever gets caught.

What i'm trying to say is, please trade for Davey Alvarez, he'd probably be better on your team anyway!

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

Clarence Kraemer would beg to differ.
Kraemer would be the worst base stealer in my lineup! He's roughly around 70/70 though which isn't bad. I'm talking more about extreme differences like 99/60, like Bo Darling. (I would love Kraemer in my lineup).

ArtVandelay posted:

Davey Alvarez has about 60 baserunning, and he manages to steal at least 40 a season with his 99 speed. He barely ever gets caught.

What i'm trying to say is, please trade for Davey Alvarez, he'd probably be better on your team anyway!
Alvarez is alright, just like Bo Darling. He had a 78% success rate this season though compared to my team at 84%, which also includes all the scrubs I don't want stealing bases dragging that number down. I want a team full of guys who can steal 80 each, that's my goal! Or a team full of Polin Machado's who has stolen 208 bases and been caught 5 times in the past two seasons alone!

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Ivan Drago posted:

(I would love Kraemer in my lineup).

He is available!

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
So do you cry that I have 4 potential good stealers in my lineup that I barley let run?

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Scrotos posted:

So do you cry that I have 4 potential good stealers in my lineup that I barley let run?
Not at all. I'd rather nobody else use base stealers so that nobody feels pressured to use strong arm catchers!

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

All I have to say is that I'm really glad I'm not in the same league as Drago but I am still morbidly curious to what his team would do to Kiki.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Nerokerubina posted:

All I have to say is that I'm really glad I'm not in the same league as Drago but I am still morbidly curious to what his team would do to Kiki.
Honestly even with a full compliment of players that fit the criteria, I think I'd be a .500 team at best with that strategy. It's probably a shame you aren't with me for the free wins.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Clutch :smug:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

One of these days my Hometown lineup will start hitting. And it will be glorious (and I'll still lose because my pitching blows but at least games will be interesting).

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I think I placed myself into a meat grinder of a division. Washington appears to have a real solid team and Pawtucket is no slouch. Hopefully my boys can fight it out.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Where da offense at?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I present to you: a 7-3 game in which no runs were scored until the 11th inning.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

My doubles OL team is garbage but I'm going to have to start using more '93 Olerud, he's hitting .409/.471/.552 playing his home games at a -1 hits park, Polo Grounds V. (94 games into the season)

At home? .433/.505/.572

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

lol

• Locked thread